PDA

View Full Version : What monster do you use most often in 5e?

Rfkannen
2020-02-26, 11:31 PM
I'd say for me the monster I use most often as a gm is the ghoul, good solid rp, a lot of fun to see new players deal with the paralyis, good in swarms. Second would be goblin, I run a lot of low level encounters and goblins are just a lot of fun.

What monsters do you use the most often?

Spectrulus
2020-02-27, 01:24 AM
The only consistent monster Stat block I use is the Veteran for guards and veteran s soldiers.

Kane0
2020-02-27, 01:39 AM
The bulette, its in all my random travel encounter tables. And some city ones too.

McSkrag
2020-02-27, 02:27 AM
Oh yeah, I totally dig ghouls too. They're a always a challenging and fun encounter from a combat and RP perspective for low to mid-level parties. Super fun.

My other favorite is venom trolls. I'm always looking for a way to add them into an adventure. It's always fun watching the party try to quickly rethink their usual hack-n-slash tactics as the front liners take 2d8 poison every time the trolls get hit.

Yakmala
2020-02-27, 03:37 AM
Kobolds.

Played properly, they are a threat even to mid level parties. Toss in a few Urds, Inventors, Scale Sorcerers and Dragonshields and have the players fight them on their heavily trapped home turf and they can be an absolute nightmare.

That being said, I also use Kobolds as roleplay encounters as well, with colonies of Kobolds living in tunnels under the larger cities in the campaign world. These "civilized" kobolds are not a threat unless threatened themselves and can often be a font of information on dangers from below.

Arkhios
2020-02-27, 03:48 AM
It's been a while since I ran a game with 5e the last time, but I'm extremely fond of zombies, because they have a nasty habit of getting back up even if they've been reduced to 0 hit points. And the more, the merrier! :smalltongue:

JackPhoenix
2020-02-27, 06:06 AM
Humans, regardless of stat block. They are the real monsters, after all.

HappyDaze
2020-02-27, 06:19 AM
Without joking, I seem to make heavy use of the back-of-the-book NPCs for (mostly) human bad guys. Bandits, Guards, Cultists, Scouts, Thugs, a Knight, and more have all been used. We do tend to do a lot of "civilized" adventuring in urban settings and on ships though.

KorvinStarmast
2020-02-27, 02:37 PM
Bulette yes, a favorite.

Without joking, I seem to make heavy use of the back-of-the-book NPCs for (mostly) human bad guys. Bandits, Guards, Cultists, Scouts, Thugs, a Knight, and more have all been used. We do tend to do a lot of "civilized" adventuring in urban settings and on ships though. I have found this to be more fruitful than goblinkind.

stoutstien
2020-02-27, 03:00 PM
*insert obligated man was the true monster all along comment*

The NPC stat block that I well most likely using every campaign will be the goblin. Close second would be the trio of bandits, thugs and bandit captain.