PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A How long does it take to tie up an incapacitated creature

diplomancer
2020-02-27, 07:16 AM
In a recent game session, a group of 8 baddies was incapacitated by a Hypnotic Pattern. Assuming:
1- That there are no other baddies to fight;
2- That the party consists of 4 people;
3- That there is enough rope;
4- That the baddies, while incapacitated and charmed, do not resist being tied up by the party;

would it be possible to tie all of them up? How long does it actually take to tie someone up with ropes? I tried looking for answers to that, either in the game rules or just by using google, and couldn't find anything (googling "how fast can you tie someone up" leads to, let's say, results that are interesting but, for this purpose, useless :smallwink:)

da newt
2020-02-27, 11:28 AM
Professional calf ropers will rope and tie a calf in 7 or 8 seconds - with years of practice. I have no idea if this really helps, but it's a real world stat that is as close to relevant as I could think of in 10 seconds ...

CheddarChampion
2020-02-27, 02:33 PM
Professional calf ropers will rope and tie a calf in 7 or 8 seconds - with years of practice. I have no idea if this really helps, but it's a real world stat that is as close to relevant as I could think of in 10 seconds ...

If I were the DM I'd follow this example and make the time required based on a sleight of hand roll.
Let's say an experienced professional has +11 to a skill and rolls an 11, getting a 22. That lets them tie a calf in 2 rounds, or 1 if the calf doesn't resist at all.

Result: time required vs incapacitated opponent
21+: 1 round
16-20: 2 rounds
11-15: 3 rounds
06-10: 4 rounds
01-05: 5 rounds

As a player I'd use manacles as I expect that will be easier/faster for an untrained person.

stoutstien
2020-02-27, 02:43 PM
In a recent game session, a group of 8 baddies was incapacitated by a Hypnotic Pattern. Assuming:
1- That there are no other baddies to fight;
2- That the party consists of 4 people;
3- That there is enough rope;
4- That the baddies, while incapacitated and charmed, do not resist being tied up by the party;

would it be possible to tie all of them up? How long does it actually take to tie someone up with ropes? I tried looking for answers to that, either in the game rules or just by using google, and couldn't find anything (googling "how fast can you tie someone up" leads to, let's say, results that are interesting but, for this purpose, useless :smallwink:)

There's plenty of time IMO to tie them up before the spell wears off but the question of if they tie them up securely enough where they can't readily escape becomes the question.

There are some variant rules for tying knots in XGE but it doesn't state if that knot was tied under any time restraint.

Overall letting them initially tie them up leads to a better overall encounter.

Do the NPC's happen to have any hidden blades or not so hidden if the PCs didn't think to look?

What does the party do with the POWs?

Are the baddies actually bad?

Do they speak a language the party knows or do they speak at all?

Is one of the NPCs severely claustrophobic?