PDA

View Full Version : Opinions/Ideas on Homebrew Shield

Paeleus
2020-02-27, 10:16 AM
I'm running a game for two players and have plans for one player to receive a Moonblade and the other to receive a Sunshield. My plan is for the Moonblade to initially have 2 attributes with the possibility to gain more as the story progresses. With the table that is provided for the Moonblade, I have those picked out already.

For the Sunshield, I have it's first 2 attributes decided.
- +1 to AC/saves
- Hellish Rebuke (torn on there being charges or once per day or unlimited)

I am looking for critiques on existing Sunshield properties and ideas for additional properties as the story progresses. Thanks for taking a look!

nickl_2000
2020-02-27, 10:51 AM
I'm running a game for two players and have plans for one player to receive a Moonblade and the other to receive a Sunshield. My plan is for the Moonblade to initially have 2 attributes with the possibility to gain more as the story progresses. With the table that is provided for the Moonblade, I have those picked out already.

For the Sunshield, I have it's first 2 attributes decided.
- +1 to AC/saves
- Hellish Rebuke (torn on there being charges or once per day or unlimited)

I am looking for critiques on existing Sunshield properties and ideas for additional properties as the story progresses. Thanks for taking a look!

Unlimited Hellish Rebukes is pretty bonkers. I would go with Charges per day (which can increase over time). The more charges you burn, the higher level it is cast at. This gives the PC the ability to choose and make tactical.

As for balance, what level are these PCs at?

JNAProductions
2020-02-27, 12:08 PM
Well, the Sunshield should emit light. Eventually, it could count as proper daylight (if that matters).

Some other ideas...

-Resistance to fire, radiant, and/or necrotic damage
-Ability to cast Light, Daylight, and/or Sunbeam
-Immunity to blinded
-Ability to blind foes who attack you, on a limited basis

nickl_2000
2020-02-27, 12:42 PM
Well, the Sunshield should emit light. Eventually, it could count as proper daylight (if that matters).

Some other ideas...

-Immunity to blinded

Bolding mine: You can literally steal the level 1 ability from the Light domain cleric (warding flair) for this.

Paeleus
2020-02-27, 02:50 PM
Unlimited Hellish Rebukes is pretty bonkers. I would go with Charges per day (which can increase over time). The more charges you burn, the higher level it is cast at. This gives the PC the ability to choose and make tactical.

As for balance, what level are these PCs at?

They are currently level 4, soon to be 5. I've been fairly tough on them, even downing them a couple times, by running them through some larger party appropriate "dungeons"/encounters with few encounter modifications. They are pretty seasoned players, so I'm not surprised they have prevailed.

For what it's worth, the character is a Fighter/War Wizard

How many charges do you believe are appropriate and at what rate would scale them?

Some other ideas...

-Immunity to blinded

I agree, the shield should at least give the character access to the Light cantrip. I guess that slipped my mind as the character has Darkvision, an error on my part to be sure. I am a fan of this light gaining in strength to become the Daylight spell and eventually Sunbeam.

For the resistance bullet point, should that replace the +1 to saves? I am using a variant/homebrew rule that combines the Defense and Protection fighting styles for full transparency.

Thank you for your response!

Bolding mine: You can literally steal the level 1 ability from the Light domain cleric (warding flair) for this.

Genius.

Again, thank you for your response!