PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder, How do you build an herbalist?

Trandir
2020-02-27, 01:20 PM
I found out the druid herbalism and I knew that I wanted to play with it.

The need of high Wis makes me think that full caster is the best way to go about it but I'm not sure. So I also don't k ow what traits or feats take. The race is probably either dwarf or human.

TheFamilarRaven
2020-02-27, 05:58 PM
Druids make excellent summoners thanks to their ability to convert their spells into Summon Nature's Ally. So taking feats like Spell Focus(conjuration)->Augment Summoning->Superior Summoning along with Versatile Summon Nature's Ally can be quite effective. Buying a rod of Quicken Meta Magic would allow you to absolutely flood the battlefield with minions. Skill Focus(Spellcraft) makes it easier for you to make the craft DCs but it's kinda boring.

If you're gonna focus on Wisdom just make sure you don't have a negative Intelligence modifier because it governs your spellcraft skill.

As for traits, Perfectionist's Brew adds +2 to your spell craft/Craft(Alchemy) checks when making potions. Since you're playing an herbalist and making potions is your thing, you might want that trait. Or you could opt for one of the many traits that just give you a generic +1 bonus to Spellcraft.

TronGuy
2020-02-28, 01:40 PM
Druid with the Herbalism Nature Bond has always been my go to since they released it. Hell, I'm pretty sure I never played a druid UNTIL they released that (he was a Grippli chef who fluffed his herbalism as food).

What I did was go into Brewkeeper "cooked" my best druid buffs into "food" for my party to eat when they wanted. Jerky of Barkskin was the most popular one but there were others. I was a Restorer druid so I didn't need to prep healing spells and after LITERALLY handing out my buffs I would hang back, heal my teammates, and lob ranged spells at people. I eventually got me a staff with all the good blasty wizard spells on it and just hang back during fights and just give support blasts at a range.

Brewkeeper eventually gets the ability to move action in order to give potions you give to others your CL instead of letting them use the Caster's CL. I remember I abused that a lot on that character along with an alchemist potion that let you just spit back out the potion. The DM let me fluff it where I added the potion to a massive pot of soup that I (as long as I added a dose of the alchemist potion for each dose of regular potion AND spend 2 standards and a move feeding to people) could just keep "refrigerating and reheating".

That was a really fun character... died to an ooze... I hope he was delicious.