PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Help on balancing some spells

Ghghj2
2020-02-27, 01:23 PM
Hello! I am currently playing a baldesinger drow, Lauriel, in 5e, and since he aspires to be great mage of the likes of Mordenkainen, Melf and Leomund, my DM allowed me to create some spells that he'll develop as the story goes. I have some rough ideas but i'm new to homebrew i don't have much of an idea on what would be reasonable damage for some of these spells, and i'd like any advice, comments and/or sugestions on which school to choose, durations, range, materials and anything else.

Tiny cloud (Evocation Cantrip)
Casting: One action
Duration: Up to a minute
Range: 100ft
Casting: V, S
A 5ft radius cloud appears on a choosed location and rain pours from it. The rain makes anything soaked and can extinguish small flames. It also makes rain sounds and smell. All pooled water disappears.

Lauriel's Flaming Lasso (2nd lvl Evocation)
Duration: Concentration, up to a minute
Range: 30ft
Components: V, S, M (a piece of string and a pinch of sulfur)
A burning lasso traps the target if it fails on a grapple save, taking 3d6 fire damage and being restrained. At the start of the turn, a grappled character takes extra 1d6 fire damage and at the end of its turn the crature can attempt another save. If it succeds the spell ends.

Spectral Dive (2nd lvl Abjuration)
Casting: Reaction
Duration: Instantaneous
Range: Self
Components: V, S
As a reaction, you quickly dive into the ethereal plane, avoiding any immediate source of damage. Prolongued damage effects and other status still apply after the spell ends.

Gellatinous form (6th lvl Transmutation)
Duration: Concentration, up to ten minutes
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a bit of glue and water)
You touch a willing crature and its form becomes translucent and oozy, but retains shape. Any item being carried is also transformed, being functional as usual. While in this form, the target gains Spider climb, extra 5ft reach, physical (piercing, slashing and bludgeoning) and acid damage resistance and can squeeze into spaces as small as 1 inch. Your weapon attacks deals a bonus 1d8 acid damage.

Magma Ball (5th lvl Evocation)
Range: 150ft
Components: V, S, M (a ball of dry mud)
You hurl a magma ball, on a point within range that you choose, that splashes in a 20ft radius sphere dealing 8d6 fire damage on creatures that fail a dexterity saving throw and half as much on a sucess. The ground then gets covered in magma and becomes difficult terrain until the end of your next turn. Moving on this terrain deals 1d6 fire damage per 5ft moved.

Zephyr Spirit (7th lvl Evocation)
Range: 150ft
Components: S
Wind swirls around your hand and you make a ranged spell attack. If you miss, each creature within 20ft of the target makes as dexterity saving throw taking 6d18 bludgeoning damage and is pushed 5ft back on a fail. If the creature succeds it takes half damage and isn't pushed. On a hit, a wind spirit is launched at the target, dealing 12d8 bludgeoning damage and the first target makes a a Constitution save and is Blinded on a fail. You then can redirect the spirit to another target up to 20 ft from the first. Make a ranged spell atack for the new target and the damage becomes 10d8. On a hit you can redirect it again, making another roll and reducing the damage roll by 2d8 each time. you can target a creature only once. If you miss the spell fades.

Spectral Strikes (4th lvl Illusion)
Range: 5ft
Components: S, M (miniature of your weapon)
As part of this spell make a melle weapon attack. On a hit the target takes weapon damage and 3 spectral arms wielding the same weapon appear and strike dealing 2d8 psychic damage each. You can choose up to 3 creatures within 10ft around you to hit with the arms, using the same roll against their AC.

JNAProductions
2020-02-27, 01:33 PM
Tiny Cloud should require concentration, or have a limit on the number of clouds you can have at a time. Otherwise fine.

Lauriel's Flaming Lasso is worded badly-there's no such thing as a grapple save. A Strength save would be appropriate, methinks. And I might downgrade it from Restrained to just Grappled.

Spectral Dive is honestly too good. The ability to just "Nope" any single effect is crazy.

Gelatinous Form looks fine for its level.

Magma Ball looks fine for its level.

Zephyr Spirit has a 6d18. I don't own an 18 sided die, and I'm assuming you meant 6d8. Overall, it feels okay, but could do with wording getting cleaned up.

Spectral Strikes looks not very useful.

Ninja_Prawn
2020-02-27, 02:00 PM
I agree with all JNA's points. A lot of the wording needs significant cleanup (and spellchecking).

Tbh I think magma ball is underpowered. I'd suggest making the ongoing terrain effect last 1 minute with concentration.

The range on spectral strikes should probably be Self. 6d8 damage for a 4th level spell slot is pretty weak...

Imo spectral dive should be a conjuration. Lore-wise it's doing the same work as misty step, plane shift or dimension door.

Ghghj2
2020-02-27, 02:41 PM
Tiny Cloud should require concentration, or have a limit on the number of clouds you can have at a time. Otherwise fine.
I really shoud have specified one or maybe two clouds

Lauriel's Flaming Lasso is worded badly-there's no such thing as a grapple save. A Strength save would be appropriate, methinks. And I might downgrade it from Restrained to just Grappled.
Coudn't choose btween dex or str save, so i ended up writing grapple. But yeah restraines really doesn't make sense here

Spectral Dive is honestly too good. The ability to just "Nope" any single effect is crazy.
it is a free out of jail card, but it doesn't work for the second strike for instance. maybe pump its level?

Zephyr Spirit has a 6d18. I don't own an 18 sided die, and I'm assuming you meant 6d8. Overall, it feels okay, but could do with wording getting cleaned up.
yeah it was a typo. i guess i couldn't find the right words to explain

Spectral Strikes looks not very useful.
maybe up its damage?

Ghghj2
2020-02-27, 02:48 PM
A lot of the wording needs significant cleanup (and spellchecking). sorry about that

Tbh I think magma ball is underpowered. I'd suggest making the ongoing terrain effect last 1 minute with concentration.
wasn't planning on it being concentrationbut i guess it is fine

The range on spectral strikes should probably be Self. 6d8 damage for a 4th level spell slot is pretty weak... Maybe up its damage? i put it as 5ft because of booming blades description

Imo spectral dive should be a conjuration. Lore-wise it's doing the same work as misty step, plane shift or dimension door. i was thinking more about the nature of the effect that would protect you, but lore-wise it could be conjuration, yeah