PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Converted Old Spells

sandmote
2020-02-27, 04:03 PM
This page on the homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/2I4vBeyw)

A pile of spells I'm taken from 3.5e. One's from a fluff description and I think the rest are from the SRD.

Ascendence of Plants
9th-level Transmutation

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet.
Components: V, S
Duration: Special
When you cast this spell, you can cause plants to form into a creature of the plant type within range. The plants form two kelpies, shambling mounds, or wood woads. There are two possible uses for the spell, calling the creatures summoned to either guard an area or fight on your behalf.

If you chose to have the creature guard an area, they can be instructed to guard an area up to 100 feet on a side. In this manner, the creatures last for one week, after which the spell ends and they wilt away. You can further instruct the creature to ignore intruders under certain circumstances or according to physical characteristics (such as height or weight), creature kind (for example, the creatures could be told to ignore fey or gnomes), or alignment. You can also set conditions for the creatures to ignore intruders, such as those who say a certain password.

If you choose the have the creature fight on your behalf, you must maintain concentration on this spell, which you can do for up to 1 hour. After one hour, the spell ends. During this period, roll initiative for the summoned creatures as a group, which have their own turns. They obey any verbal commands that you issue to them (no action required by you). If you don't issue any commands to them, they defend themselves from hostile creatures, but otherwise take no actions.

(Druid, Warlock)

Dictum
8th-level conjuration

Range: self
Components: V
Duration: Instantaneous
When you cast this spell, each creature within 40 feet of you must make four wisdom saving throws. As the creature fails more of these saving throws, various conditions are inflicted on the creature; first the creature is deafened, then is is slowed, as by the slow spell, then it is paralyzed. If a creature fails all four saving throws it is killed outright.

A creature affected by this spell can repeat the saving throw at the end of is turn. On a success, the last condition caused by this spell ends for that creature.

(Cleric)

Fire Seeds
7th-level conjuration

Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: touch
Components: V, S, M (an acorn, holly berry, or goodberry)
Duration: 10 minutes
When you cast this spell, you create up to 8 explosive seeds. A character can use an attack to throw one of these seeds up to 60 feet as an attack, at which point the seed explodes. Alternatively, you can speak a command word, at which point all seeds created by the spell explode.

When a seed explodes, all creatures within 10 feet of the seed must make a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC, taking 3d6 fire damage on a failed save or half as much on a success.

When the spell ends, the seeds wither away.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 8th level or higher, you create an additional seed for each slot level above 7th.

(Druid, Warlock)

Implosion
9th-level necromancy

Range: 120 feet
Duration: Conc., up to 1 minute
When you cast this spell, you create a destructive resonance in a creature’s body within range. The creature must make a Constitution saving throw, taking 12d10 force damage on a failed save or half as much on a successful one.. Until the spell ends, you can cause this effect again on each of your turns as an action, targeting a creature that has not already made a save against this spell.

(Cleric, Warlock)

Iron Body
7th-level transmutation

Components: V, S, M (diamond dust worth 250 gp, which the spell consumes)
Duration: Conc., up to 1 hour.
This spell turns the flesh of a willing creature you touch as hard and strong and iron. Until the spell ends, the target has resistance to acid, fire, bludgeoning, piercing, poison, and slashing damage, is immune to the blinded, deafened, petrified, poisoned, and paralyzed conditions. Whenever the creature must make a strength or constitution saving throw, it can choose to roll a d8 and add the result to the saving throw.

The creature also has no need to breath and is immune to damage from pressure, but automatically sinks to the bottom of any body of water it enters.

(Cleric, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard)

Statue
8th-level transmutation

Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S, M (a small doll, discarded gum wrapper, and a crushed button)
A creature of your choice within range must make a Constitution saving throw or begin to turn to stone and is restrained. The restrained creature must repeat the saving throw at the end of its next turn, becoming petrified on a failure or ending the effect on a success. The petrification lasts until the creature is freed by the greater restoration spell or other magic.

(Warlock)

Waves of Exhaustion
8th-level necromancy

Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
When you cast this spell, each creature in a 60 foot cone must make a Constitution saving throw or gain one level of exhaustion. Whether or not a creature succeeds on this saving throw, it must repeat it at the start of your turn for the duration of the spell.

A creature can attempt to heal a target of this spell by making a Medicine (Wisdom) check against a DC of your spellcasting save DC as an action. On a success, the target loses one level of exhaustion from the target creature, to a minimum of the creature's exhaustion level at the end of the spell. A creature also loses all levels of exhaustion caused by this spell at the end of a long rest (this counts against the creature's exhaustion level being reduced by one from a long rest).

(Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard)

Some of these are stronger than the existing high level spells, but I'm not sure how many of the existing ones come up. Several of these are meant to stop being save or such spells by forcing multiple saving throws.

Caster's Rage
3rd-level enchantment

Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Components: S
Duration: 1 minute
You summon forth a fury from deep inside yourself, which engulfs your mind. For the duration of the spell, you have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage and advantage on strength checks and strength saving throws. However, you can't cast or concentrate on spells while the spell lasts.

(Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock)

Displacement
4th-level illusion

Duration: 1 minute
You to appear to be about 3 feet away from your true location. Each time a creature targets you with an attack during the spell's duration, roll a d20 to determine whether the attack reaches you. You must roll an 11 or higher for the attack to only hit your illusatory form. A creature is unaffected by this spell if it can't see, if it relies on senses other than sight, such as blindsight, or if it can perceive illusions as false, as with truesight.

(Sorcerer, Warlock)

Invisibility Purge
4th-level evocation

Duration: Conc., up to 1 minute
Any invisible creature within 30 feet of you that would otherwise be invisible becomes visible for the duration of the spell. If a creature does not cause the source of its invisibility to end (such as their concentration on the greater invisibility spell) that creature becomes invisible when the spell ends.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 5th level or higher, the radius of the spell increases by 10 feet for each slot level above 4th.

(Cleric, Warlock)

Retributive Invisibility
6th-level illusion

Components: V, S, M (a lodestone)
Duration: Conc., up to 10 minutes
You become invisible until the spell ends. Anything the target is wearing or carrying is invisible as long as it is on your person.

When your concentration on the spell ends, you can use your reaction to unleash a peal of vicious sound from your location. Each creature other than yourself within 10 feet of you must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 4d6 thunder damage and is stunned for 1 turn. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn't stunned.

(Warlock) Mainly I'm wondering if I should increase the level of invisibility purge and displacement by one. Certainly cuts into the need for See invisibility or True Seeing. Should I also say something about displacement and Mirror image not stacking? I'm not sure its necessary (they last 1 minute), but could last a while when combined.

Ironwood
5th-level transmutation

Casting Time: 1 hour
Components: S, M (a section of wood to be converted to ironwood)
When you cast this spell, you can convert up to 30 pounds of wood into ironwood. This wood can be part of a single object, or multiple objects. Ironwood is as strong, hard, and fire resistant as steel, but is as light as wood and counts as wooden for the purposes of spells and abilities.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 6th level or higher, you can convert an additional 5 pounds of wood.

(Druid, Ranger)

Pinpoint Traps
6th-level divination

Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a small mirror)
Duration: Conc., up to 1 hour
You sense the presence of any trap within 200 feet of a point within range. The spell can penetrate barriers, but 2 feet of rock, 2 inches of any metal other than lead, or a thin sheet of lead blocks you.

A trap, for the purpose of this spell, includes anything that would inflict a sudden or unexpected effect you consider harmful or undesirable, which was specifically intended as such by its creator. Thus, the spell would sense an area affected by the alarm spell, a glyph of warding, or a mechanical pit trap, but it would not reveal a natural weakness in the floor, an unstable ceiling, or a hidden sinkhole.

When sensing a trap, you can tell the general area each trap is in, in 10 foot increments, as well as the damage type of the danger posed by a trap you sense.

(Bard, Cleric, Druid, Warlock, Wizard)

Shrink Item
3rd-level transmutation

Components: S, M (a sapphire worth at least 10 gp)
Duration: 1 day
You reach out and touch a unattended item no more than 5 feet on a side. The item is transformed into a piece of cloth weighing one-hundredth the weight, to a minimum of one pound. For the duration of the spell, you can use an action to speak a chosen command, upon which the item switches between its cloth state and its normal state. The object returns to its normal state when the spell ends.

A creature can attack the item in its cloth state (8 HP, AC 8). Upon being destroyed, the spell ends and the item reverts to its normal form.

(Cleric, Ranger, Wizard, Warlock)

MrStabby
2020-03-10, 03:55 PM
Ah, a nice set. May I ask if there are likely to be any more coming? I might be tempted to use these.

sandmote
2020-03-11, 02:44 PM
Ah, a nice set. May I ask if there are likely to be any more coming? I might be tempted to use these. Thank you. I'm taking this to mean at least one person has read them and not spotted any glaring issues.

I'm not currently planning any more 3.5e spell conversions. I do have a set of spells for nautical campaigns in the works (to help differentiate underwater and air based combat) and I'm wondering if I should try some spells that give you an additional option when making an attack (working like a shove does instead of vampiric touch or flame blade) for the eldritch knight class. If you think I should boost the priority for either of these I'd lose to hear it.