PDA

View Full Version : Carrion Crown - PF 2e - IC Thread

Celticbear
2020-02-27, 07:32 PM
Dark was the night and clouds in the hovel of Ravengro, the home of your once friend Professor Petros Lorrimor. When you read the seal of the letter, carrying his personal mark, you were jubilated, hoping that the Professor had some news of discovery he wished to share. The discovery of his death lay inside the letter, however, in a flowing script that was not Petros's, but signed "Kendra Lorrimor", his daughter. If you had a glimpse of her before, you would remember her as a studious Wizard's Apprentice, and a loving family member. Whatever emotions may be stirring within you must be tenfold in this girl.

The content of the letter notified you of the time and place of the funeral, and lists you as benefactors of some of Lorrimor's estate according to his Will. Kendra asks, however, that this not be your primary reason for coming, but instead to relish in the memory of her late father. And so now you've come to the outskirts of the small farming village, the heavy gates of the Pharasmin necropolis looming over your heads, barring entry and loathing alike.

The procession goes on, a priest of The Lady of Birth and Death exclaiming scripture to a crowd of one: Kendra herself. She seems composed, calm, and genuinely happy when she sees you enter her sight.

"Thank you for coming, it means so much to me that my father had such dear friends."

Smileybastard
2020-02-27, 08:14 PM
Anaaran Listral

Anaaran's lithe form approached Kendra. He smiled akwardly in responce to her smile. How was she so happy? He did not really understand humans, but then again, he could understand why his appearance would bring some happiness to her and she would embrace that. He walked up to her and hugged her, although he was unsure if it was more for her or him.
"We could not let you greive alone."

thegoldenfedora
2020-02-27, 08:55 PM
Rigor stood to the back of the procession, unsure of his role. He had only known Lorrimor briefly so when he was referred to as a dear friend a single hairy eyebrow of his arched up in perplexed surprise. Surely he had more people in his life than this? Three humans, a half and a whole elf and a grumpy halfling were the only people to attend this somber moment?

His thoughts aside, it was important to Lorrimor that he was here for some reason and Rigor would stay true to that desire. He owed the researcher something and if it was to be one of the only six to attend his funeral then Rigor was happy to oblige.

He walked forward taking off his hat out of respect. He pauses, unsure of what gesture would be appropriate to make to Kendra but decided that a hug was probably the better option.

"Your old man did good, he helped me save a kid from a crap hole. I know it ain't much, but lemme know if there is anything you need alright? I'm here for you just as much as I'm here for him."

stack
2020-02-28, 07:37 AM
Brom Grey

The somber priest takes his turn to greet the young woman, "Kendra, it has been too long. My sympathies for your loss; he was a good man." He gives the officiant a collegial nod, the steps of the service known to him such that he could perform it in his sleep.

He does not wonder at the others; the professor kept varied company, but the lack of a local presence is noted. He will have to inquire, though not of Kendra in her mourning.

Estralita
2020-02-28, 04:20 PM
Mariel stood silently, picking at the sleeves of her dress and avoiding eye contact. This made no sense. She owed him, not the other way around.

Without him, she would still be singing in bars. Magic would be something only in books,not anything to do with her.She'd be an entirely different person living an entirely different life. Late at night,she wondered how she could possible repay that. A simple free performance, or magic trick couldn't do it. And if he decided to forgive the debt, why hadn't he contacted her before? He clearly hadn't forgotten her, and it wasn't like she was hard to find. None of this made sense.

Nothing made sense, she didn't belong here, and she just wanted all of this to be over.

Triskavanski
2020-02-29, 12:48 AM
Feliks Triskavanski

As the crotchety old man he appeared to be, Feliks did not reply back with any sorts of words of sympathy or encouragement. While the letter said not to allow the inheritance by the only reason one came, truth be told, Feliks was quite the opposite. There wasn't much he wanted in that way, rather he was there solely for the funeral. After all, anything that he'd inherit would be only a reminder of the few people who could tolerate him where dead.

Celticbear
2020-02-29, 09:18 AM
Kendra somberly returns your affections, and nods at the ones who stay silent, her smile to plastered to her face like a mask. She is about to continue before the priest comes. He is adorned in the raiments and iconography most Pharasmites are known for, namely the holy symbol of a swirling vortex set into an amulet. He nods his head, a deep and serious frown splayed on his face. He extends a hand to you all, and speaks quietly,

"Under normal circumstances, I would ask six members of the procession to take up the coffin, and carry it to Lorrimor's final resting place. However, since there are only six people in the crowd..."

"I understand father. Will you friends help me carry my father to his rightful rest?"

Smileybastard
2020-02-29, 10:05 AM
Anaaran Listral

Anaaran nods solemely and says "of course". A little concerned on how much he can help with carrying the coffin he forces himself to realize this is something that happens all the time and positions himself on the middle of a side rather than a corner.

thegoldenfedora
2020-02-29, 11:17 AM
Rigor too, eyes the task warily along with the taller races who he would have to "carry" the coffin with. Nevertheless, tradition is important and there were only these six here.

"Aye, it'd be my honor."

If the coffin is going to be carried on the shoulders, then Rigor will just walk in place since he wont be able to really help. If it is being carried at waist height, then he can carry.

stack
2020-02-29, 09:48 PM
Brom nods, "I will."

Triskavanski
2020-03-01, 08:42 AM
"Well someone will have to move the coffin.. " he says pausing and looking at the other rather dainty individuals. It seemed that the Professor didn't make any muscle bound friends. "Many hands make light work.. I suggest carrying the professor lower and with two hands if you can manage it. Remember lift with your knees, not with your back." The doctor gives his first few words of the day, attempting to help direct people as he moves to assist in caring the box himself.

Estralita
2020-03-01, 03:48 PM
Carry the coffin? Was that the favor? Mariel wasn't very strong,but if that was what he needed... She could do that.

Mariel nodded, waiting for further direction

Celticbear
2020-03-01, 09:18 PM
"The Road into our Necropolis is a straight one to the deceased final rest in Pharasma's holy embrace. Lady Kendra knows the way, and just as she must take on her Father's work and legacy, so too shall she take her father into The Great Beyond," the Priest proclaims, his voice set in a droll of scripture. Kendra's face finally shifts from a quiet contentedness into something akin to a grim resolve as she takes up her part in holding the coffin.

"I am ready, let us depart."

Just as the Pharasmite said, Kendra seemed to instinctively know where to go in the dark graveyard. Tombstones seemed to sprout from the ground like weeds, some graves freshly dug, while others were unmarked, and only bared Pharasma's holy symbol. Kendra began to ramble, trying to offset the dread of the group's task to defaulting to her historian spirit, "Ravengro itself grew out from a prison just up the hill from here, you might have seen it. Many of these graves are actually those who were executed there, we used to be the legal execution capital for the whole of Ustalav a hundred years ago."

stack
2020-03-02, 07:53 AM
Brom carries his load easily enough; he may not be a young man, but he has not lost all his strength. "I have heard of it, yes. A necessary thing, but not a pleasant one."

Smileybastard
2020-03-02, 12:00 PM
Anaaran Listral

Anaaran looks around at the sea of gravestones. So many people executed.

Triskavanski
2020-03-02, 06:08 PM
A rather odd thing to bring up, Feliks thought to himself, but well.. while in Oppara.. "Each kind of execution has a certain science to it. Hanging had to take so many measurements as the goal was often to snap the neck in one go. More Humane that way, though some do prefer to watch the deadman's jig..."

Smileybastard
2020-03-02, 06:17 PM
Anaaran Listral

Anaaran listened to Feliks wincing slightly. How casually they spoke of taking a life. I guess when one only lives a few years that is how it is looked at. More Humane ... the term seemed ironic.

thegoldenfedora
2020-03-02, 11:37 PM
Rigor listened without offering input. He'd seen an execution just once, it was for someone he had brought in. He felt he owed it to the criminal to watch. It was not an ordeal he enjoyed.

"What changed? I'm not caught up on history, so why'd Ravengro stop being the go to place for that?" He asked Kendra.

Celticbear
2020-03-03, 07:23 AM
"The prison bur- "

Before Kendra could finish her statement, men came into view about thirty feet away. They carried pitchforks, but no torches, and had hid behind walls as to hide against your sight. The man who appeared to lead them stepped forward, and began to speak.

"Evening, travellers. Miss Lorrimor. There's been, uh, a change of plans by the town. Why don't you come and follow us out of here, we'll show you where you need to go."

"But the priest said we should bury him here?"

"Miss Lorrimor, this isn't a request. Follow us, please. Let's not make this hard."

stack
2020-03-03, 07:40 AM
Brom looks to the other bearers, gesturing to set the casket down. Once unencumbered, he steps forward, making certain his pharasman spiral is visible. Greeting, good people. For what do you interrupt this solemn procession and disturb the young lady in her mourning? This is no small thing."

Triskavanski
2020-03-03, 01:04 PM
Feliks helps set down the casket. Can't a man just be burried in peace? He thinks for a moment as he begins to observe the people involved. A Pitchfork and torch mob, that lacks torches. Increases stealth to hide from us. The lack of forthcoming indicates a lack of legal purpose with their demands. Conclusion, combat will soon ensew.

Feliks Triskavansk is Taking the Case!
Spending a minute to establish a case, Feliks foruces on the main leader if the group is too large for Take the Case.

thegoldenfedora
2020-03-03, 06:16 PM
Rigor let the coffin down gently, his eyes never leaving the group spread out before him. He didn't understand what was going on, but it was highly irregular and obviously upsetting to Kendra. It seemed like the one pharasman holy man would have things under control, so Rigor just stood and eyed the townsfolk.

As long as it has no outward sign of hostility, Rigor will choose one of the people at random to use hunt prey on

Estralita
2020-03-05, 12:33 AM
Mariel wasn't planning on putting down the coffin, but she wasn't nearly strong enough to keep it up by herself. She just wanted to get this over with already,but it looked like these people weren't about to let them, for whatever reason.

Expecting life to be easy is a fool's game, Mariel. Own your actions, and be ready for the consequences.

Her mother had never approved of making the deal, but she did, and she was going to pay Professor Lorrimor back. These people weren't going to stop her.

Smileybastard
2020-03-05, 05:38 PM
Anaaran followed the others lead and lowered the casket. Men with pitch forks seemed only vaugely different than a militia. What was going on? This did not seem friendly and the professor was a respected man was he not?

"Let's not make what difficult?" he thought out loud.

Celticbear
2020-03-06, 09:27 AM
The man seemingly in charge over the mob of six extends his pitchfork, a grim look on his face. Kendra puts down the coffin in tandem with the rest of you, and gains a reproachful and guarded look on her face.

"We don't want that... that dead-diddler buried next to our ancestors. We found a spot up the hill that's just fine for him, though. He won't mind the solitude, won't mind much at all now."

"Dead di- necromancer??? My father was no necromancer, good sir. Yes, his research went over various undead, but-"

"We've made up our minds. Leave with us, or join Lorrimor. If you bury him in here, corpses might start getting back up again. We don't want that any more than you do."

stack
2020-03-06, 09:56 AM
Brom continues to walk toward the mob, letting the spiral fall back to his chest, empty hands held out to his side, clearly unarmed. He stops a few feet away. "I was a knight of Ozem. I am a priest of the lady of graves. I have put the walking dead to rest alongside the professor enough times to say you are mistaken. I would hear your account of how you came to this conclusion, but I would rather hear it after we have laid him to rest properly, in accordance with all law and custom."

Assuming I should roll Diplomacy? [roll0] hoping for some situation bonuses for his stated background. Should carry some weight.

Triskavanski
2020-03-06, 05:27 PM
"Well.. they're not here following the law. Otherwise they would have come to us far earlier, and not have hidden themselves. And yet, here we are. " he sighed slightly. He only wanted to bury one body today, but it looks like that work was about to increase.

Smileybastard
2020-03-06, 09:36 PM
Anaaran was at a loss. These people were clearly upset, but to do this at a funeral. He looked from the various people he was with and the others, ultimatums were going to lead to conflict.

"I don't think any of us want to go where this is leading. If we both stand firm behind ultimatums then I can only see this leading to violence. Lets discuss this before there are more to bury."

Make an impression [roll0]

thegoldenfedora
2020-03-07, 10:04 AM
Rigor just watched the events unfold, taciturn but with a dark eye. There actions were motivated by fear, but if they had been reasonable, law abiding folks, they would have raised objections before this moment.

He knew his two crossbows were ready, but old nerves made him want to pay for them anyways, an act he knew could ignite hostilities so he restrained himself.

Estralita
2020-03-07, 03:06 PM
This wasn't going well. Mariel cleared her throat. "We can assure you there is no danger of that happening. Now, would you kindly allow us to finish laying the professor to rest?"

I figure the bard should at least try Diplomacy before things start going sideways.

[roll0]

Celticbear
2020-03-07, 08:31 PM
The leader scoffed at both of the men that tried to settle things down, but when the Bard, aided by years of tale-telling and a mystic silver tongue, took charge over the situation, he halted in his tracks. He rose the pitchfork up, and sighed, holding up a hand for the rest of his compatriots.

"You're right, we're all just... scared, okay? You would be too if you heard the howls that would come out of that old man's mansion on some nights. However, if any... unnatural dead-diddlin' comes about as a consequence, I'm holding you six responsible, and I'm gonna fish out the Professor's corpse so the Pharasmites can burn it in holy fire."

Some of the other commoners tried to take up arms, but most of their hearts weren't in for trying to fight the daughter of what they thought was a powerful necromancer and her minions. After less than a minute they were departed. Kendra, however, looked to be on the verge of tears, her outer shell pierced by the ugly words of the leader, before she composed herself.

"Let's finish this, I want to go home."

I was starting to worry this party was going to be allergic to D20 rolls for a second there. Unless any of you have stuff you want to do in the Graveyard, my next post will fast forward us to the Will reading.

thegoldenfedora
2020-03-07, 09:01 PM
Rigor let out a sigh of relief, only realizing now that he has been holding his breath. Once he was sure that no one was going to return, he helped hoist the coffin up again and set off on his solemn duty.

He tried to keep the villager's words from his mind. He wanted to know more but understood that now was not the time.

Smileybastard
2020-03-07, 09:10 PM
Anaaran was happy the bard had stepped in. He was certain his elven words did not land as he wanted. He approached the affected Kendra and took her hands briefly and squeezed gently. "We are here with you, no matter what."
He then took up his position to carry the coffin.

Triskavanski
2020-03-08, 06:19 AM
"Next time go through the legal channels." grumbled the doctor. "If there is any dead walkin, its not because of a deadman but because of someone else."

Feliks though has terrible bedside manners, and leaves the comforting to the Bard and Priest of the group, preferring instead to begin pondering over things, as he looks over the group of commoners. It was possible one of them was a truly a necromancer in disguise, who was getting the rest riled up to cover his tracks when they attempted to animate the dead.

stack
2020-03-10, 06:50 AM
Brom feels a rush of relief as the crowd disperses, glad to have the threat of confrontation removed. He resumes his place as pallbearer, mentally reviewing his words to judge why he was so ineffective. To long in a quiet temple?

Estralita
2020-03-11, 05:23 PM
Mariel breathed a sigh of relief as the angry crowd dispersed. She had studied combat spells before, but that didn't mean she liked using them. Thankfully, it wasn't necessary. She moved to resume the funeral. But before she picked up the coffin, she spoke softly to the cleric. "Thank you for speaking up. I don't have any real experience with the undead, but you explained the situation so well."

Celticbear
2020-03-11, 07:22 PM
The process of depositing Lorrimor's body is a trivial one. The coffin is deposited in the proper grave, Kendra says a few words in remembrance of her father, and then she turns to you all.

"No words can express how thankful I am for your presence here. I dread the thought if I had to go in there alone... nevermind the idiot ruffians, that coffin was heavy!"

After her awkward attempt at humor, Kendra leads you to her home, a rather stately two story home filled with enough gothic architecture to make dark eyeliner blush. Two stone gargoyle heads stand sentry at the door, and due to the Professor's Research, you're not entirely certain that they aren't actual gargoyles.

Kendra takes your coats, and makes a fine batch of tea, informing you that Councilman Vashion, Ravengro's solicitor, should be on his way momentarily. Ten minutes and a knock later, a bulbous, finely dressed gentleman enters the homestead. He carries a locked box and a sealed scroll bearing the Lorrimor crest on its binding. He enters the living room, and once he is assured that Kendra and you five are present, he makes the following declaration.

"Let it be known that this box has not been tampered with since its archival in the Ravengro town vaults. This will was drawn by Professor Lorrimor, and his unbroken seal should hold in court should the attesting of Ravengro's Bureaucracy should be put into question. Further inquiry-"

"Please open the box. I know you're legitimate, Hearthmount, I'm not going to sue."

"The night is young, m'lady. Even I don't know what's going to be written. It may be... harmful to your spirit."

"My father never learned the Explosive Runes spell, you don't need to worry."

Without another word, Vashion opened the box, and proclaimed a rather long scroll. He cleared his throat, and read in a steady tone:

"'I, Petros Lorrimor, being of sound mind, do hereby commit to this parchment my Last Will and Testament. Let it be known that, with the exception of the specific details below, I leave my home and my personal belongings entire to my daughter Kendra. Use them as you see fit my child.

'Yet beyond the bequeathing of my personal effects, this document must serve other needs. I have arranged for the reading of this document to be delayed until all principals can be in attendance, for I have more than mere inheritance to apportion. I have two final favors to ask.

'To my old friends, I hate to impose upon you all, but there are few others who are capable of appreciating the true significance of what it is I have to ask. As some of you know, I have devoted many of my studies to all manners of Evil, that I might know the enemy and inform those better positioned to stand against it. For knowledge of one's enemy is the surest path to victory over its plans.

'And so, over the course of my lifetime, I have seen fit to acquire a significant collection of valuable but dangerous tomes, any one of which in the wrong circumstances could have lead to an awkward legal situation. While the majority of these tomes remain safe under lock and key at the Lepidstadt University, I fear that a few I have borrowed remain at a trunk stored away in Ravengro's vaults. While invaluable for my work in life, in death, I would prefer not to burden my daughter with the darker side of my profession, or worse still, the danger of possessing these tomes herself. As such, I am entrusting my chest of tomes to you, to be delivered at the reading of my will. I ask that you please deliver the collection to my colleagues at the Lepidstadt University, who will put them to good use for the betterment of The Cause.

'Yet before you leave for Lepidstadt, there is the matter of another favor- please delay your journey by One Month and spend that period of time here in Ravengro with my daughter, to ensure her safety. She has no one to count on now that I am gone, and I admit that if my reputation continues to veer in the direction that it has started, she may be in danger. If you would aid her in setting things in order for whatever she desires over the course of this month, you would have my eternal gratitude. From my savings, I have also willed to each of you a sum of one thousand gold coins. For safekeeping, I have left these funds with Embreth Daramid, one of my most trusted friends in Lepidstadt- she has been instructed to issue this payment upon the safe delivery of the aforementioned tomes and no sooner than one month after the date of the reading of this will.

'I, Petros Lorrimor, hereby sign this will in Ravengro on this day of the first of Calistril, in the year 4711'"

For one second the room is silent. In the next, Kendra throws her tea cup against the wall, and seethes, "Much like the man to ponder over his literal thrice-damned work than his own daughter! I don't need a baby-sitter, you fool, I need... I need..."

The first sob escapes Kendra lips as she closes her eyes, it is followed by many more, "I needed a father..."

Smileybastard
2020-03-11, 08:16 PM
Anaaran

Anaaran looks at Kendra with compassion. "Well, we can not replace your father, but hopefully we can be more than babysitters." He looks at the others. "We can be your friends and I think at a time like this we can all use more friends."

thegoldenfedora
2020-03-11, 10:18 PM
So it was to tie up the loose ends of the professor's research and taking care of his daughter. Rigor disliked the mixture of business with personal affairs, it made both become that much more strenuous. The personal clouds the mind of the business, and the business cheats the authenticity of the personal. But Rigor had a debt to pay to Lorrimor, and he certainly wouldn't back out because of a slight inconvenience. He had undergone a few jobs that kept him abroad for a similar amount of time, so he was unconcerned with the time frame of the request. Now though was the time to handle the business and personal with as delicate a touch as this grumpy halfling could muster.

"Aye I know that feelin well, Kendra, don't I know it damn well." He said, "But your pa was still thinkin about you in his own messed up way. I mean havin a priest of the lady of graves, a doctor, and even a flutist if i'm judging that right. For him to call all these fine folks here just for you and to take care of some silly books. Why, its not the way we're used to, but its a way that a man can show he cares ain't it?"

How long has it been since Lorrimor signed his will?

stack
2020-03-12, 06:38 AM
(graveside)
Brom gives a kind smile in response to Kendra's attempt at levity.

(will reading)
"You father was thinking of you, Kendra, in that his wishes are for your safety. His work had a price; he did not wish you to pay it in his stead."

"Even if these were not his last wishes, following would them would be a small thing to do for a friend. I will comply."

Triskavanski
2020-03-12, 02:54 PM
Feliks hmms watching the goings on. You need a new cup now too. he thought to himself. "Well, he is right though. Its quite likely that group isn't over with. They've dispersed for now, however they'll return once they've stewed over their fears again and with greater numbers than last time. There is a possibility that their fears are not entirely unfounded either."

Estralita
2020-03-12, 09:07 PM
After wondering and waiting for so long, Mariel had her answer. This was what she needed to do as payment for Lorrimor giving her a new lease on life. All of that seemed insignificant in the face of this woman's grief.

"I-I-"

If only she knew what to say. Bards were supposed to be good with words, but right now there was only one thing Mariel felt qualified to do.

"I know you didn't hire me to perform, but I do know songs of mourning. Would that be okay?"

Celticbear
2020-03-13, 11:48 AM
"I think I would just like to rest. Today has been physically and emotionally exhausting. Feel free to remain here at the Estate for the duration of your stay, we have enough beds, and there are two separate quarters from the men and you, Mariel. We can talk about how we'll be spending this month together over breakfast. Good night, and thank you for answering my father's call."

Kendra takes her leave, and before the councilman takes his, he nods to the box,

"These belong to you now. I do not wish to know what they are about, for if they truly are legally suspicious, then it is better that way. I suggest for your month here you find somewhere secret to stash those. Lorrimor was a dear friend of mine, I'm not going to shackle his other friends on the day of his funeral. Good day."

With the councilman gone, that leaves you five alone in the living room.

Since Carrion Crown takes place waaay before PF 2e's current year, we're travelling back to 4711 as the current year. That inadvertently means it's 2011 again, ah what a simpler time.

stack
2020-03-13, 12:15 PM
Brom bids Kendra a good night, as far as is possible. "Sleep well."

Once the councilmen has also left, he turns to the others, "Given the feelings of the locals, perhaps it would be wise to keep watch over the night. I would be happy to take the first watch. I wonder if we could find a way to secure this chest for the time being as well?"

thegoldenfedora
2020-03-13, 01:49 PM
"Aye, I'll start looking for a place to squirrel em away. You can call me Rigor, seein as how we will be all workin together, if you need someone found, to get where you shouldn't be or for some peace and quiet, lemme know."

Rigor begins to investigate the mansion, looking for a good place to hide the tomes away as well as getting a lay of the building. He had broken into enough households to know that they had all too many entrances and vulnerabilities and he wanted to know all of that this one had to hide.

2011 boy things were different then. Way more soda, pizza and booze and way less worrying about anything really:smallbiggrin:

Since it is the same year that Lorrimor wrote his will and also died, how many months would it have been?

Not sure what to roll to find a decent hiding place so I'll roll both stealth and perception, it looks like 2E doesn't have taking 10 or 20 so I'll just roll

Stealth [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

Smileybastard
2020-03-13, 05:48 PM
Anaaran

Anaaran was curious about the tomes as soon as they were mentioned. They were called 'significant collection of valuable but dangerous tomes'. He moved over and looked at the open box. "I suspect that keeping the box in view might be best as we can. I would like to take a look through them as well. I have no interest in evil per say, but I am interested in most things. "

He closes the boxes lid and glances around. "I could secure it in a fairly sound manner. All we would need is something breakable we could hide it in. Something it could not be put in without breaking then I could use magic to mend it. It would then be in a place where no one would be likely to even consider."

Anaaran looks around the room for such an object or possibly in a wall. He then glances around at the others. "Sorry, I got lost in the minutia of our task. I am Anaaran Listral. I came to the professors aquantance some years ago. He inspired me to take up magic and seek out knowledge."

Anaaran looks around for an object that might serve his purpose. A large vase, part of some sealed furniture or even a plaster wall.

Estralita
2020-03-14, 07:54 PM
And now Mariel felt more confused than ever. What was her purpose at this gathering? She was a performer, her magic tailored towards entertainment. Sure, she had persuaded the crowd to leave, but ultimately, she was just supporting the others authority and knowledge. Although maybe that was the point, her helping those who were more capable. It just didn't make sense that he kept referring her her as a friend. But, apparently, she wasn't the only one with a limited relationship with him

At least introducing herself seemed like a good start. "I'm Mariel Fitzsimmons. I"m a bard, and can weave magic into my songs. I- I only met the professor once, many years ago. And he was the one who helped me. I'm not sure how that qualifies me as a friend, but I am here."

Triskavanski
2020-03-14, 08:03 PM
"I am Feliks Triskavanski, forensic investigator and doctor. Says the human introducing himself. "If not obvious, I helped with determining on how to some people where killed. As far as our box problem, I'll take the first watch. "

Celticbear
2020-03-15, 03:13 PM
While Rigor's search doesn't yield much fruit, Anaaran manage to find a flower vase which currently has no occupants. Should one look inside the box to see what exactly these "evil tomes" look like, they would find the following: one leather bound tome locked closed with a golden Beetle serving as the opening mechanism, a jet black book with no distinctive features other than the fact that its binding isn't made of any material you have seen before, a blue leather bound tome with a golden inscription "Serving Your Hunger, a Treatise on the Faith of Urgothoa", a brown leather tome with a golden inscription "The Umbral Leaves, a Common Translation of the Following of Zon-Kuthon", and a plain grey leather book which has a slip of paper sticking out, written upon which in Professor Lorrimor's handwriting, READ ME!

The book appears to be the Professor's Journal, and while it contains many illustrations and inscriptions, certain passages have been circled in red ink.

DATED TEN YEARS AGO

The Whispering Way is more than just a cabal of necromancers. I see that now. Undeath is their "Fountain of Youth". Uncovering their motivations does not place me at ease as I thought it might. The desire to be eternal simply makes them more dangerous.

DATED TWO MONTHS AGO

It is as I feared. The Way is interested in something here in Ravengro, but what could it be?

DATED ONE MONTH AGO

Whatever the Way seeks, I am now convinced their goal is connected to Harrowstone. In retrospect, I suppose it all makes sense- the stories they tell about the ruins in town are certainly chilling enough. It may be time to investigate the ruins, but with everyone in town already being so worked up about them, I'd rather not let the others know about my curiosity- there's plenty of folks hereabouts who already think I'm a demonologist or necromancer or something. Ignorant fools.

DATED TWENTY DAYS AGO

It is confirmed. The Way Seeks something- strike that- someone who was held in Harrowstone, but who specifically is the Way after? I need a list of everyone who died the night of the fire. Everyone. The Temple of Pharasma must have such a list.

DATED EIGHTEEN DAYS AGO

I see just how ill prepared I was when I last set out for Harrowstone. I am lucky to have returned at all. The Ghosts, if indeed they were Ghosts (for I did not find it prudent to investigate further) prevented me from transcribing the strange symbols I found etched along the foundation- hopefully on my next visit I will be more prepared. Thankfully, the necessary tools to defend against such spirits are already here in Ravengro. I know that the church of Pharasma used to store them in a false crypt in the Graveyard at the intersection between Eversleep and the Black Path. I am not certain if the current clergy even know of what their predecessors have hidden down below. If my luck holds, I should be able to slip in and out with a few borrowed items, though I'll leave a few behind should I require further expeditions.

DATED SEVENTEEN DAYS AGO

Tomorrow evening I return to the prison. It is imperative the Way does not finish whatever ritual, for I have identified that it is their tampering with Harrowstone's flagstones. My caution has already cost too much time. I am not sure what will happen to me if I am too late, but if my theory is right, the entire town could be at risk. Should my expedition come to failure, I shall make preparations to summon aid in the form of past combat-ready acquaintances of mine; those being circling key entries in my journal, calling them forth as "beneficiaries" to my will, and ensuring that they will stay in Ravengro long enough to fix the mess that I could not. If you are reading now, friends, know this: while finding out about the Way and Harrowstone be your primary objectives, should ruin come to Ravengro, you will take my daughter and run.

A chill runs through your spine when you recall that the black-sealed envelope that summoned you to Ravengro placed the Professor's death date as precisely sixteen days ago.

His will was signed, strangely enough, 17 days ago...

Smileybastard
2020-03-15, 05:33 PM
Anaaran

Anaaran points out the vase. "We can hide the lot of them in here. We carefully break it then mend it around the books."

With that he looks into the book again and comes across the book with 'read me' sticking out of it. He pulls out the book and begins to read. His face grows focused and he begins to talk as he reads. "It seems the Professor was investigating ... an organization called the whispering way. They were apparently seeking something here, in town ... at Harrowstone to be specific. A person who was held there...someone who died there during a fire.
The night he died, the professor went to investigate. We are not here to babysit Kendra for the next month. Our prorpose is to investigate the whispering way and what they were up to. A thing that seems to have gotten the professor killed."

thegoldenfedora
2020-03-16, 04:39 PM
Rigor sighs, rubbing his hand to his temples, "We just went through all that trouble explainin to Kendra how her pa was thinking bout her in sending for us, an now we find out that it was a lie the whole blooming time. I'm thinking it'd be best if we didn't let her know bout this extra mission."

"Well if we can finish this up fast, she won't have to know. Seems like the prof wanted to check up on that church of Pharasma there to get supplies and maybe to find out who they were tryin to dig up as well. Brom looks like you might get a chance to make some friends."

stack
2020-03-17, 06:57 AM
Brom reads over the journal a second time, trying to commit the relevant details to memory.

He nods to the others, "I agree; I will speak with the local clergy in the morning. I would that the professor had called upon me sooner; I would have come and he might have lived."

Estralita
2020-03-17, 10:04 PM
Mariel shook her head, trying to get her head around the task. She had thought it impossible to feel more unequipped to deal, but deal she must. One piece at a time. First, Kendra. While their purpose here wasn't to look out for her, they could still try to do that as well."Kendra is a grown woman. Doesn't she have the right to know about the danger she's in? And for all we know, she might have insights into the area we don't."

Smileybastard
2020-03-17, 10:25 PM
Anaaran

Anaaran nodded to Mariel, "You are are right Kendra should know," has he looked throught he other books settling on "Serving Your Hunger, a Treatise on the Faith of Urgothoa".
"I wonder if all these books are related to the professors investigation? The professor only seems to have been investigating these people for a little over a month before dying and I suspect he had these books already. Maybe it is not a matter of these books being helpful to understand what is going on but still these books could be of use to the Whispering Way." He puts down the book and looks at the one locked with the golden beetle. "I wonder how this is opened."
Finally he picks up the jet black book and opens it and begins to read.

Celticbear
2020-03-17, 10:49 PM
Finally he picks up the jet black book and opens it and begins to read.

Your eyes close on a page and are drawn in by strange shapes and stranger whispers. You may voluntarily continue reading, but if you decide to pull away you must make a Will Saving Throw.

Smileybastard
2020-03-17, 11:24 PM
Anaaran

Will Save[roll0]

Celticbear
2020-03-17, 11:33 PM
For a moment, Anaaran seems completely and wholly memorized by the slick black book. After a moment he pulls away with no adverse affects.

So the current plan is to stash the books in a broken vase then mend it back together? Also unless you guys wanna do more stuff, next round of posting will be the last before day 2.

Smileybastard
2020-03-17, 11:46 PM
Anaaran

Anaaran closes the book. "I recomend not reading that book. The words have power and I think they could control some." Lets hide these books.

Correct

stack
2020-03-18, 07:26 AM
"I agree that Kendra should be aware of the danger. We can discuss the matter with her in the light of morning."

Triskavanski
2020-03-18, 04:22 PM
Meanwhile Feliks watches the others, before speaking up. "So what is the problem with lettering her know anyways? The threat is still there, but if its too much for us the note specifically says to take her and run. There was no lie. Just we didn't know who the threat truely was."

thegoldenfedora
2020-03-19, 10:26 AM
Rigor grumbles a little but doesn't argue with the decisions. "So tomorrow we will hit up the church. Hopefully we won't get run out of town for our investigations."

Estralita
2020-03-21, 10:47 AM
"Okay, is there anything else we need to do tonight, or shall we retire?"

stack
2020-03-21, 06:08 PM
Bron shakes his head, a negative, then begins to rise, not expecting objections.

Triskavanski
2020-03-21, 07:28 PM
"Nothing else for the night, but we should move quickly tomarrow to keep them from realizing anything is happening.

thegoldenfedora
2020-03-21, 07:33 PM
"Sounds good, I'll see you all bright and early, I'm gonna go find a place to settle down in here. Wake me when it's my turn fer watch, I'll take that middle one tonight."

Celticbear
2020-03-23, 03:15 PM
The moon passes to midnight, and then the sun passes to dawn...

. . .

At the start of the new day, Kendra goes around and lights the candles in the dining room, setting a breakfast stew of potatoes and sausage on the oven to boil. When it is ready, she knocks quietly on each of your doors, and notifies you that breakfast is ready. When each of you have descended the staircase, a loud knocking sounds on the front door. Kendra answers it, unless someone else tries to, and a man, sweating heavily with terror in his eyes shouts, "BLOOD, IN THE TOWN SQUARE, BLOOD, BLOOD I TELL YOU!"

He runs out of the house, beckoning each of you to a statue in the middle of Ravengro. The caption beneath it lables it as a figure of the Warden of Harrowstone, but the inscription is marred by a large letter "V" painted in a dripping crimson fluid.

Smileybastard
2020-03-23, 05:16 PM
Anaaran

Anaaran rushes to get his bow and other gear and follows the man.

Triskavanski
2020-03-24, 06:40 AM
Feliks moves to answer the door for her. While she may not be in the sort of danger they suspected, who knows what pointy things with teeth like.. leaping around like.. could be knocking on the door...

Once at the bloody V, he begins to perform some inspections and takes the case. "Let us see this blood here.."

[roll0] #medicine
[roll1] Perception

stack
2020-03-24, 07:27 AM
The smell of a hearty breakfast brings a small smile to Brom's face as he completes his meditation. He wishes Kendra a good morning.

(at the scene)
"What is the meaning of this? Vandalism or something more?" He stoops to examine the red fluid.religion to recognize the meaning of the symbol, I guess? [roll0] trained

medicine to see if it is real blood [roll1] also trained

thegoldenfedora
2020-03-24, 09:14 AM
Rigor runs hastily after everyone, his crossbow jostling violently on his back as his hand is full trying desperately to eat the one spoon of stew he had managed to grab.

When he arrives he takes in the sight and begins scanning the crowds and ground for any sign of red, completely ignoring the statue since he felt he could trust his new companions.

Perception [roll0]

Estralita
2020-03-24, 02:01 PM
Mariel had been wondering the best way to open the discussion of their day's activities, but it seemed that decision was made for them. She scanned the crowd for any strange behavior.

Joining the Perception parade:

[roll0]

Celticbear
2020-04-15, 05:51 PM
While the blood on the statue appears to be real, a few things become apparent after examining it. First off, it isn't human blood, it's far thin and the color is all wrong. Secondly, while it is hardened, it appears to be fresh. Perhaps it's held onto the statue with some sort of magical effect?

The crowd itself encompasses most of the town, and everyone seems to have the same expression: confusion and fear mixed in a grimy cesspool of peasantry. The authorities are barely keeping the peace.

Smileybastard
2020-04-16, 06:55 AM
Anaaran

"Let's see what evil magics are on this statue." says, hoping that will mitigate any concern over his spell casting. Anaaran casts read aura on the statue.

stack
2020-04-16, 06:57 AM
Brom takes a bit of cloth and attempts to wipe at a corner of the blood, to see it it comes off at all, or if it is adhered too strongly.anything on the religion check for the symbol?

Triskavanski
2020-04-16, 06:45 PM
"This isn't human blood.. We need a butcher." Feliks says, thinking a bit, as he prowels around the scene for a bit, looking over the crowd to see if he can find someone watching suspiciously or otherwise some sort of threat note.

Estralita
2020-04-19, 02:18 PM
So it was animal blood? That was a relief. Still, Mariel knew that this wasn't something they should take lightly... "Maybe we should ask them?Then we could get everyone else to disperse for now?"

Celticbear
2020-04-22, 04:28 PM
There was in fact magic emanating from the letter V. However, that's all the symbol was- just a letter written in the Varisian tongue. There was no historical nor religious significance to be found in it.

As the crowd became more rowdy, a loud sound like a thunderclap erupted from the back. A man wearing a wide brimmed hat and baring a symbol for Ravengro's law enforcement holstered a strange metal device that looked like a thin crossbow. He then spoke, ALRIGHT! Everyone back into their homes. This statue is now evidence in a crime scene. I'll have no one tamper with it.

stack
2020-04-23, 07:14 AM
Brom stands aside, ready to give his, admittedly limited, account of the morning when required.

Triskavanski
2020-04-24, 12:24 AM
Feliks moved over to the constable, "Special Investigator Feliks Triskavanski, forensics. Was this statue always within the city limits like this? Without the blood obviously."

Smileybastard
2020-04-24, 08:44 AM
Anaaran

Seeing the litter V is the only source of magic Anaaran says, "The letter V is magical in some manner. I will let you know more in a moment." He casts read aura on the letter V.

stack
2020-04-24, 09:21 AM
"Having only arrived recently, I cannot speak to the age of the statue, but the locals appear to find its presence expected."

Estralita
2020-05-05, 07:39 PM
Mariel nodded, unsure of how to continue.