PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Must create a massive yet mundane loot - ideas?

HoboKnight
2020-02-28, 03:12 AM
Long story short:
- 15 cultists of Tiamat + 15 mercenaries + 15 kobolds have accompanied about 150 slaves. male, female, children
- PCs jumped them while they were camping
- Mercenaries took a few casualties, pulled back, rode off
- kobolds have scattered
- some of the mercenaries got killed by former slaves, some by PCs
- Then starving slaves jumped upon camp supplies of three former groups

Now, SOME of the supplies will be taken by freed slaves. In fact ... most of loot might be taken by them. Anyway, I need to figure out, what would stay for PCs? I'm thinking slaves would eat most of food, but other stuff is there for the looting. I made a short list of possible loot in three small camps (cultist, kobold, mercenary), since even mercenaries, after taking some casualties, have just taken their horses and their valuables and rode off.

What sort of loot list should i present to my party?

Here is what I got so far:

8x backpack
4x shortbow
1x mace
1x breastplate
12x tent
6x cauldron
1x greataxe
wooden box with potions: 3x Potion of Healing 2d4 + 2
4x goat
1x donkey
300 rations worth of food
axe
crowbar

thanks for advice :)

iTreeby
2020-02-28, 03:24 AM
Exotic animal barding. That stuff is heavy and expensive! Plus it let's you hint about some other monster or minion that the party will have to deal with later.

Lord Vukodlak
2020-02-28, 04:40 AM
You can always look up trade goods, Iron is worth 1sp per pound, or 200gp a ton.(2,000lbs)
Five Draft Horses, Five wagons and five tons of iron.
Total market value 1,425gp
The wagons would be far to heavy to move quickly and the Mercenaries would have been forced to abandon them.

carrdrivesyou
2020-02-28, 09:20 AM
I tend to toss in rusty or otherwise useless weapons or small sized armor for kobolds;
cultists tend to leave behind weird ritual stuff like vials of strange goo, ritual weapons (not combat ready), chalks, inks, and rope
The mercenaries would have been a bit more normal, carrying usables like food, weapons, armor, parchment, ink, rope, climbing gear, dice, cards, etc.

Hope this helps

nickl_2000
2020-02-28, 09:32 AM
Other things not mentioned

Cultists:
iconography- Art object of some like or another focused on the cult they were following.
Fragrant oils and balms - Used in rituals
Religious and ceremonial garb

Mercenaries:
Smithing gear to repair and replace weaponry and armor
Cooking Gear
Camping supplies: Tents, bedrolls, spare torches, flint and steel, etc

Arkhios
2020-03-01, 07:12 PM
Think about the size of Smaug's hoard of gold.

Now, try to imagine the size of the pile, if it was all in silver or copper coins of equal value (×10 or ×100 respectively).
Now that's massive and mundane loot.

Temperjoke
2020-03-01, 07:25 PM
Something to consider when figuring out the loot, what was the purpose of the slave caravan? Like, was it purely about the slaves, or was it for a ritual the cultists were going to perform? If it was for some ritual, there might be other ritual supplies, or just tribute for Tiamat.

ImproperJustice
2020-03-01, 11:36 PM
Some common but heavy loot ideas:

Salt-it’s a vital preservative, valuable yet heavy.

As some said: Oils, spices, but also wine and liquor.
Gotta keep mercs happy.

Raw Iron, Steel, or Wood for construction and forging.

Wagons, they ain’t cheap.
Likewise with live stock and guard animals.

da newt
2020-03-02, 08:34 AM
A steamer trunk sized chest full of copper pieces - very bulky and heavy, not much value.

Honestly, if there were 300 slaves freed and looting, I'd expect the Party to find nothing of any value left.

loki_ragnarock
2020-03-02, 09:36 AM
Marble statuary is heavy, hard to move, valuable to the right buyer, and totally useless to fleeing slaves.

Also - thanks to precedent set by the director's cut of The Exorcist and the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who - potentially terrifying.

I'd say mundane books, but fleeing slaves would probably take those in case they couldn't find any good leaves.

*EDIT*
Also, as an art object, they can sell it to the merchant willing to take it off their hands for the gp value your willing to let them have and then later have a town crier announce that a record breaking auction for a celebrated sculptors missing last work just went up.
You know, to rub in that their adventurers and not art historians.

Catullus64
2020-03-02, 10:18 AM
A few ideas what haven't been mentioned:

Horses or cattle
Is there a river or coastline nearby? Perhaps a small ship.
Beautifully carved instruments.
A spyglass. Mundane, yet weirdly valuable in D&D for some reason.
Chest of fake jewels or iron coins painted gold; investigation to spot them as fake, could still try to sell them if so inclined.
Not "loot" per se, but a grateful merchant among the liberated captives offers a discount on his wares.
Not "mundane" in the proper sense, but in the sense of not being magic items: a dragon egg. Great plot hook.

KorvinStarmast
2020-03-04, 02:02 PM
Furniture of high quality made of rare woods by a master craftsman.

Heavy, bulky, valuable.

Imbalance
2020-03-05, 09:56 AM
eighteen catcher's mitts, but not a single ball or bat
dried soup mix, but the only utensils are forks
a small crate full of delicately packed, ornate feather quill pens next to one that looks like a horse stepped through it and is now surrounded by a growing pool of indigo sinking into the dust
100 gross of self-sealing stem bolts
a gelatinous Rubik's cube that only eats fingers
tweed socks, size: gnome
a matching pair of lamp shades
orcish wedding gowns
a highly detailed, poorly annotated map where instead of treasure, 'X' marks the spot of a former latrine
numerous etchings of a farmhouse, barn, and prized sheep
recipes for paint
a bundle of short oars and long ski poles
molds for casting fertility idols and a dozen ingots of pure lead