PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Ghostwalker; Fighter Beyond Death

sandmote
2020-02-28, 06:11 PM
This page on the homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/4iIwAAJf)

This is partially a replacement for my earlier The Possessed fighter, although with the added themes of the 3.5e Ghostwalker Prestige class. the requirement to have been half-killed by an enemy before getting a benefit.
Fluff:

A ghostwalker is not fully mortal, the result of a near death experience that shook the body and soul apart. Mostly alive but not fully, you can replicate the abilities of the undead as well as hone abilities to keep yourself standing.

Eldritch Gift
At 3rd level, your brushes with death, recent or old, have awakened deep truths within your mind, granting you an eldritch invocation of your choice. When you reach 7th, 12th and 18th levels, you gain additional invocations of your choice. When you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the invocations you know and replace it with another invocation that you could learn at that level.

This does not come from a patron, and does not grant any boon. The level prerequisite for any Invocation is doubled, but uses your fighter level instead of your warlock level. Invocations that allow you to cast a spell using a warlock spell slot can be cast once per day without using a spell slot, and Wisdom is your spellcasting stat for all spells you gain from eldritch invocations.

Magical Abilities from the beyond. Thematically could tie to what happened to you.

Etherealness
As a bonus action, you step into the border regions of the Ethereal Plane, in the area where it overlaps with your current plane. If you are on the Ethereal Plane or a plane that doesn't border it, such as one of the Outer Planes, you cannot use this feature

During this time, you can move in any direction. If you move up or down, every foot of movement costs an extra foot. You can see and hear the plane you originated from, but everything there looks gray, and you can't see anything more than 60 feet away. While on the Ethereal Plane, you can only affect and be affected by other creatures on that plane. Creatures that aren't on the Ethereal Plane can't perceive you and can't interact with you, unless a special ability or magic has given them the ability to do so. You ignore all objects and effects that aren't on the Ethereal Plane, allowing you to move through objects you perceive on the plane you originated from.

At the end of your turn or the start of your next turn (your choice), you immediately return to the plane you originated from in the spot you currently occupy. If you occupy the same spot as a solid object or creature when this happens, you are immediately shunted to the nearest unoccupied space that you can occupy and take force damage equal to twice the number of feet you are moved. You can then attempt an Intimidation (Charisma) check contested by the Insight (Wisdom) check of any creature within 5 feet of you, and gain advantage on your first attack roll against any creature you succeed against (no action required)

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your wisdom modifier, and regain all uses at the end of a short or long rest.

Combat feature. With movement, which the battlemaster doesn't get.

Resolute
At 7th level, you gain proficiency in the Intimidation skill. If you are already proficient in it, you gain proficiency in one of the following skills of your choice: Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, Insight, or Investigation.

Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses Intimidation. You receive this benefit regardless of the skill proficiency you gain from this feature. If you already add double your proficiency bonus to Intimidation, you instead gain proficiency from a second skill in the above list.

Slightly mad and mostly non-combat, but you also get a second invocation here.

Feign Death
Starting at 10th level, you can use a bonus action to create an illusion of yourself falling down dead with sound and appropriate smells, and gain the effects of your Etherealness feature.

A creature that uses its action to examine the image can determine that it is an illusion with a successful investigation (Intelligence) check against your spell save DC. If a creature discerns the illusion for what it is, the creature can see through the image, and its other sensory qualities become faint to the creature.

You have advantage on your first attack roll against any creature that saw the illusion but has failed to realize the illusion was false during the first round it sees you again. Once you have used this ability, the creature has advantage on investigation (Intelligence) checks made to distinguish your illusatory remains from your real body.

You can use this ability a number of times equal to your wisdom modifier (minimum of once), and regain all uses at the end of a long rest.

Buff to etherealness; note it refreshes less often. Probably want to pop out next to enemies that didn't see the illusion before moving on to the ones that did because of how the two interact.

Iron Will
By 15th level, you have acquired greater mental strength. You gain proficiency in Wisdom saving throws.

Usually I'd say "if you already have it, get it for intelligence or charisma, but I'm not so sure here for balance purposes.

Painful Reckoning
By 18th level, you can turn your last remaining life energy to reanimate as a ghost. When you are killed, you can choose to melt into the ethereal plane. Your soul leaves your body and reforms into a powerful spirit, which appears in your space at the start of your next turn.

While in this ghostly form, you keep your statistics, except for your equipment, and are immune to all damage and conditions. You can form any melee simple or martial weapon in your hands as a bonus action, which counts as magical for the purposes of resistances and immunity. It otherwise has the same statistics as a regular weapon of that type. If the weapon is thrown, it dissipates immediately after impact.

This form lasts for 1 minute, after which you die as normal, or until you are restored to life. The time limit for spells that resurrect you is based on when your soul left your body rather than when you die.

You can use this feature once, and regain it at the end of a long rest.

I figured this needed some way to keep up with barbarians at this point.

Old Harry MTX
2020-02-29, 03:50 AM
Very nice!

D&D_Fan
2020-03-05, 02:01 PM
You misspelled the word Etherealness. you used an I. I just wanted to let you know.

sandmote
2020-03-05, 05:07 PM
Very nice! I feel like we don't stop to say this sort of thing enough on the forum, but I am the worst person to say this sort of thing too.

You misspelled the word Etherealness. you used an I. I just wanted to let you know. Thanks for the catch.