PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ruining a pc's sacrifice

mehs
2020-02-29, 12:22 AM
So, character had died and needed to make a new character. It was a short campaign, so the session after that i was able to rejoin was the last campaign of the session. Being a new character, I had new wbl to divvy up. I bought a scroll of heal and a scroll of breath of life. The main final combat was against these two nigh unhittable vampires. They had a stupid high dex, and we were only hitting on 18's until we managed to flank, trip, flat foot, etc them into oblivion. The latter part of the fight included me trying to hit them with a heal spell which thankfully would only discharge if I managed to actually hit them. The final objective was to deal with this giant evil crystal that was empowering a bunch of other crystals that were spreading an undead plague. One of the pc's decides to send everyone out of the room and smash it. He then proceeds to fail both will and fort saves to prevent being auto killed and soul dragged into the abyss. He died, bravely sacrificing himself to stop the death of an entire region.
Cue me popping back in and casting breath of life.

It was ****ing hilarious.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-02-29, 12:39 AM
So, character had died and needed to make a new character. It was a short campaign, so the session after that i was able to rejoin was the last campaign of the session. Being a new character, I had new wbl to divvy up. I bought a scroll of heal and a scroll of breath of life. The main final combat was against these two nigh unhittable vampires. They had a stupid high dex, and we were only hitting on 18's until we managed to flank, trip, flat foot, etc them into oblivion. The latter part of the fight included me trying to hit them with a heal spell which thankfully would only discharge if I managed to actually hit them. The final objective was to deal with this giant evil crystal that was empowering a bunch of other crystals that were spreading an undead plague. One of the pc's decides to send everyone out of the room and smash it. He then proceeds to fail both will and fort saves to prevent being auto killed and soul dragged into the abyss. He died, bravely sacrificing himself to stop the death of an entire region.
Cue me popping back in and casting breath of life.

It was ****ing hilarious.Well, I mean, if he was going to a just reward, that's one thing, but he was getting dragged into the Abyss. That's not someplace you want your soul to be, even if you are Chaotic Evil.

Psyren
2020-03-02, 02:37 AM
He died, bravely sacrificing himself to stop the death of an entire region.

This seems like the sort of thing that should keep you out of the Abyss.

Eldaran
2020-03-02, 02:00 PM
He then proceeds to fail both will and fort saves to prevent being auto killed and soul dragged into the abyss. He died, bravely sacrificing himself to stop the death of an entire region.

Breath of Life doesn't work on death effects, that sounds like a death effect to me. It also doesn't work if you lose your soul. So two reasons this should not have worked.