PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock and metal fans

Mokèlé-mbèmbé
2020-02-29, 07:51 AM
You know, it really sticks up my craw how many fans of rock and metal enjoy acting like a marginalized fringe group supporting a dying genre. Give me a break.

How's about you step into the shoes of a salsa or calypso fan and then we can have a chat about dead genres? No one is making calypso, but I guess if it's the regional music of a predominantly black nation it doesn't count, right?

"Boo hoo, my favourite genre was the cultural zeitgeist for half a century and still endures with a steady stream of artists, a near constant outpouring of content from a global contingent of musicians, a healthy and well rounded journalistic culture and a community of fans and supporters so numerous it utterly dwarfs many European nations but 17 YEAR OLDS ARE LISTENING TO HIP HOP NOW OH NO".

It's nauseating.

And this is no reflection on the music, which I like, but let's get a little perspective.

Peelee
2020-02-29, 08:13 AM
I got all excited thinking this might be about Ozzy's new album.

Palanan
2020-02-29, 09:21 AM
Not quite sure where this is coming from. I've never heard any rock fans complaining about being marginalized. But then, I don't really follow trends in music these days, and I barely look at social media, so maybe there's something I'm missing.

As for regional music, I really like a good salegy.

The Troubadour
2020-02-29, 09:23 PM
Honestly, if I were to complain about "metalheads these days", I'd mention how openly racist, homophobic, and mysoginistic so many of them are (from artists to fans), or how so many of them want to force a wrong notion of the genre being "apolitical by nature" down everybody's throats. "Curiously" enough, so many of those also display, shall we say, "{scrubbed}" tendencies.

Mokèlé-mbèmbé
2020-02-29, 10:31 PM
Honestly, if I were to complain about "metalheads these days", I'd mention how openly racist, homophobic, and mysoginistic so many of them are (from artists to fans), or how so many of them want to force a wrong notion of the genre being "apolitical by nature" down everybody's throats. "Curiously" enough, so many of those also display, shall we say, "{scrubbed}" tendencies.

The list of grievances I have with the metal community is too long, boring and unhappy to recite here. Individual metalheads can be quite lovely, mind. As an aggregate?

Noooooo...