PDA

View Full Version : Making a Dark Souls Pyromancer in D&D 5e

masterjoda99
2020-02-29, 09:55 PM
So, I'm wondering lately, how would one build a Dark Souls Pyromancer in D&D? Lorewise, pyromancy is drawn from one's "flame", which is drawn from a part of them. It's something of a primal magic, so I had thought perhaps druid, particularly for a pyromancer of the "Great Swamp", where many pyromancers in souls lore tend to come from. Spells-wise, there's obviously a lot of fire, but also poison magic, some metal (iron skin which covers the caster in metal armored skin giving massive defense but slowing them) and rock hurling.

My top 3 suspects for building a dark souls style pyromancer would be wildfire druid, cleric of some sort, or dragonic sorcerer. But what do you all think?

Phhase
2020-03-01, 12:44 AM
Depending on what you want to use, there IS (https://5e.tools/classes.html#sorcerer_phb,state:ishidefeatures=b1~ sub-pyromancer-psk-psk=b1) a pyromancer sorcerer UA. And using the the class feature variants, sorcerers also have the metamagic ability to swap the element of a spell to fire or poison. If you like, you could also use the UA lore wizard to do that. Mystic also has the Mastery of Fire and Corrosive Metabolism disciplines if you like. Iron Flesh is also a thing Mystic can do.

OldTrees1
2020-03-01, 01:00 AM
The Wizard / Sorcerer spell list has most of the spells that fit DS Pyromancy. Although Wildfire Druid does get enough (~50%?) to be worth considering.

Example Wizard / Sorcerer list (although Sorcerer does not get enough known and neither can get all the cantrips)

Cantrips
Acid Splash
(Xanathars)Control Flames
(Xanathars)Create Bonfire
(Xanathars)Infestation
Fire Bolt
Green Flame Blade
Poison Spray
1st
Burning Hands
(Xanathars)Catapult (Boulder Heave)
Fog Cloud
Mage Armor (Iron Skin)
Shield (Iron Skin)
2nd
(Xanathars)Dragon Breath (Fire)
Flame Sphere
Scorching Ray
3rd
Fireball
(Xanathars)Melf's Minute Meteors
4th
Conjure Minor Elementals (4 Magma Mephit mimicking Floating Chaos)
(Xanathars)Vitriolic Sphere
Wall of Fire
5th
Cloudkill (Poison and Toxic Mists)
Conjure Elemental (Earth or Fire Elemental)
(Xanathars)Immolation

The hard part in my opinion is mimicking Poison Mist and Toxic Mist. Cloudkill (http://5e.d20srd.org/srd/spells/cloudkill.htm) is a 5th level spell that does a decent job in mimicking the effect. However even then the do not remain poisoned once they leave.

GreyBlack
2020-03-01, 10:22 AM
So, I'm wondering lately, how would one build a Dark Souls Pyromancer in D&D? Lorewise, pyromancy is drawn from one's "flame", which is drawn from a part of them. It's something of a primal magic, so I had thought perhaps druid, particularly for a pyromancer of the "Great Swamp", where many pyromancers in souls lore tend to come from. Spells-wise, there's obviously a lot of fire, but also poison magic, some metal (iron skin which covers the caster in metal armored skin giving massive defense but slowing them) and rock hurling.

My top 3 suspects for building a dark souls style pyromancer would be wildfire druid, cleric of some sort, or dragonic sorcerer. But what do you all think?

Which game?

If we're going DS1, then your primary stat is probably going to be Dexterity followed by Charisma; Faith is not a primary stat for a pyromancer? So druid and Cleric are out.

However, because Pyromancy was developed to fight the Ancient Dragons, it strikes me as somewhat suspect that they would be of draconic heritage. So, in recognizing that no D&D single class will fit solidly into the Dark Souls games because they're built on very different engines and assumptions... I'd like to recommend the Fiend Pact Warlock.

- Fiend pact gives a number of fire related abilities to Warlock
- In DS lore, the Demons were created by the Witch of Izalith by trying to create a second Kiln of the First Flame.
- Charisma based character.
- If the Fiend expanded spell list doesn't give you the spell you need, the Warlock spell list will.
- Proficiency in light armor, which is central to how they're portrayed in DS1.
- Pact of the Blade lets you get in close to fight with a hand axe if you need.
- Unique refresh mechanic: you get your spells back when you "sit at a bonfire" (short rest)
- As your level increases, you gain access to Witch Sight, which allows you to find Quelana in the swamp of Blight Town.

.... I'm sure there's more but this will start you up.