PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Low Level mounted character E6

Blackhawk748
2020-03-01, 12:40 PM
So this is more just a thought experiment than anything else, but I'm curious about how good of a character we can make by only going to level 6 and focusing on the rider and not their Super Mount.

Obviously we don't want the mount to be absurdly squishy, but making it amazing isn't the priority.

So, here's the various mounted Archetypes we're going for:

1. The Charger
2. The Archer
3. The Scout

These are the three major ways cavalry was used and how most people will play them. Now, with that out of the way, here's the rules.

1. Minimal Spellcasting. Being a Pally or Ranger is fine, but we aren't going for a gish or anything here. So stay light on spells.
2. Make a build for LvL 1, LvL 3, LvL 6 and at 2 extra feats post 6.
3. First party, Dragon Mag, and Online Articles allowed.

Have fun

Heavenblade
2020-03-02, 12:11 AM
I think the a good way to create some of these for an E6 game would be scout 1/druid 5, with the seift avenger feat and the huntsman druid archetype.

While the fast movement is kinda redundant, and so is the second benefit of the swift avenger feat, you still manage to get in some decent skirmish damage with your arrows, I'd suggest taking the zen archery feat and perhaps the swift hunter feat in order to pierce some immunities (and take the extra favored enemy feat+improved skirmish feat as you get the bonus feats)

I'd also suggest the Sidhe scholar druid alternative class for extra spells and improved companion.

And spend the rest of your feats on archery stuff that you need

EDIT - I keep forgetting the silly errata that prevents skirmish from working with mounted movement, so...everything I said is redundant :smallcool:

Gruftzwerg
2020-03-02, 03:22 AM
Note: I'm not so used to E6, I hope I didn't make any mistakes or break any rules.
Raiders Captain Guts
(Berserk Manga fluff^^)

Human Warblade 4 / Fighter 1 / Crusader 1

LVL 1: Warblade
Mounted Combat; Ridey-by-Attack
Leading the Charge: Stance—Allies deal +1 dmg/initiator lvl on charge attacks
Douse the Flames: Strike—Target cannot make AoO for 1 round
Leading the Attack: Strike—Allies gain +4 bonus on attacks against foe you strike
Charging Minotaur: Strike—Charging bull rush deals 2d6+Str mod dmg, ignores AoO

LVL 2: Crusader
Bolstering Voice: Stance—Allies gain +2 on Will saves, +4 vs fear
Stone Bones: Strike—Gain DR 5/adamantine
Crusader’s Strike: Strike—Successful attack to heal 1d6 + 1/initiator lvl
Vanguard Strike: Strike—Allies gain +4 bonus on attacks against target

LVL 3: Fighter
Extra Granted Maneuver;
Martial Study (Crusader): War Master's Charge: Strike—you+all allies within 30ft charge, deal extra dmg & stun

LVL 4: Warblade
Shield Block: Counter—give ally your shield bonus + 4 as AC for a single attack

LVL 5 : Warblade
Foehammer: Strike—Overcome targets DR, deal +2d6 damage

LVL 6: Warblade
Spirited Charge
Vanguard Strike: Strike—Allies gain +4 bonus on attacks against target
White Raven Tactics: Boost—Ally’s initiative changes (yours -1), he can act again

Extra Feats past 6:

Martial Study (Warblade):
Strike of Righteous Vitality: Strike—successful attack grants heal 10hp/initiator lvl + removes negative conditions (results in 50hp heals at lvl6 with an Initiator lvl of 5 as Warblade)

Martial Study (Warblade):
Iron Heart Surge: Remove any effect that last longer than 1 round and annoys you,+2 morale bonus on attacks next round

How the cheese works:

At first lvl Warblade will pick Stone Hand and White Raven maneuvers, so that Crusader at lvl 2 has only 3 maneuvers accessible to choose from. This means 2/3 maneuvers are readied at the start and at each full reset. At lvl 3 we alter this to 3/4 maneuvers readied. Both setups will cause all our maneuvers to reset each turn, beginning at the end of the second turn.

At lvl 6, with Warblade 4, we choose to loose a Crusader maneuver and learn a new one as Warblade. This is possible due to the fact that the "Maneuvers Known"-List is bound to your character and not to your classes (unlike spellcasters). The maneuvers are just bound to the refresh mechanism when you acquire them and you have to keep separate track of that. This allows Warblade to loose a Crusader maneuver, but only allows to pick up a Warblade maneuver as replacement and forces you to bind it to its refresh mechanism. Cause the source of gaining the replacement is Warblade, despite the fact that we lost a Crusader (refreshing) bound maneuver.

This will lead to a state where you drop down to "3 Maneuvers known bound to Crusader refreshing" and "3 granted maneuvers at the start of combat and at each full recover". So you can use any of your attacks and they will be ready for each turn again.

With this setup you can use War Master's Charge once for the first 2 round (depeing on your draw luck) and than each round for the lvl 3-5. At lvl 6 you can use it every turn beginning from the first.
War Master's Charge lets you and all allies (immediate action) within 30ft of you (up to 20 under optimal conditions) charge a single target. You (& your allies) don't block your movement eachother for the charge. Get an cumulative +2 on your regular charge to hit modifier for each charging ally (including yourself). You deal 50 extra dmg while your allies only deal 25 extra dmg. Multiply this with a Valorous Lance and a Spirited Charge (x4 dmg on charge) and you deal and whopping 200 extra dmg just from WMC extra dmg (add weapon and STR mod x4).

Anything you charge at will just simply die. And even if you should miss somehow (with a full BAB and no Power Attack build....^^), you allies may attack the target as a free immediate action too for total overkill..
:belkar:

The last 3 feats may be picked in any other as you need em. Spirited Charge if you want to max dmg first (imho not really necessary to push it), Strike of Righteous Vitality if you need the 50hp heals ASAP or Iron Heart Surge if the DM starts to pick on you with negative conditions, because of your overkill build.

edit: Alternative Race Strongheart Halfling
Since it also offers a free feat, it's a good alternative to human. You loose a tiny bit to dmg (-1 Str mod) but gain AC and you are small and thus can ride a medium sized mount easily inside buildings/dungeons/caves and the like.

bean illus
2020-03-02, 12:47 PM
Raiders Captain Guts
(Berserk Manga fluff^^)

Builds like this make me hesitate to even offer a simple ranger build. Looks fun. Good job.

Blackhawk748
2020-03-02, 06:25 PM
I think the a good way to create some of these for an E6 game would be scout 1/druid 5, with the seift avenger feat and the huntsman druid archetype.

While this is functional, I was asking to keep it light on spells. 5 levels of Druid isn't all that light.

Raiders Captain Guts
(Berserk Manga fluff^^)

All right, this is more what I was going for. Bit more Leader-y than I was expecting but it certainly fulfills Charger. Neat

Builds like this make me hesitate to even offer a simple ranger build. Looks fun. Good job.

Go for it. Still don't have a Scout or Archer build

Gruftzwerg
2020-03-02, 08:42 PM
All right, this is more what I was going for. Bit more Leader-y than I was expecting but it certainly fulfills Charger. Neat

Yeah it is definite a leader build. I just realized that he could lead 20 commoners with pitchforks to victory against the Tarrasque in the very first round with some luck and a surprise attack. (sure somebody still needs to cast a whish, but that's another story^^)

bean illus
2020-03-03, 03:58 AM
Here's a scout/archer.
Ranger 4/ Fighter 2. I left out precise shot and picked up quick recon, reasoning that a 'real' scout wouldn't use PS much.

I've always liked quick reconn. With a free maxed listen and spot every round, it's hard to get surprised. Quite possible to check spot, reactive listen, and a free check of each (total 4 checks), and still move.
I'll take light horse warbeast template for the mount and owl for the animal companion, extending the senses.

Let's add shadow sword acf at 3rd, giving a +5 circumstance to move silent 2x/day (lose endurance). Total +18.

Human
Darkstalker, LoM

R FE arcanist, Mounted Combat.
R 2 RS
R 3 walk in silence, Quick Reconnoiter

F PBS
R 4 urban companion - owl
F 2 MS, GMS

Mounted Archery, Imp Mounted Archery

He rides, shoots, rides n shoots, hides, and scouts.
The build does have 1 spell, and wand+scroll access.

Darkstalker, LoM - prereq none
When you hide, blindsense, blindsight, scent, or tremorsense must make Listen or Spot (whichever DC is higher). Also can flank vs all-around vision.

ExLibrisMortis
2020-03-03, 11:23 AM
Martial Study (Crusader): War Master's Charge: Strike—you+all allies within 30ft charge, deal extra dmg & stun
You can't pick a maneuver you don't have the prerequisites for, and one of the prerequisites is a minimum class/initiator level. You need a level of 17 to pick War Master's Charge.

liquidformat
2020-03-03, 12:21 PM
Here's a scout/archer.
Ranger 4/ Fighter 2. I left out precise shot and picked up quick recon, reasoning that a 'real' scout wouldn't use PS much.

I've always liked quick reconn. With a free maxed listen and spot every round, it's hard to get surprised. Quite possible to check spot, reactive listen, and a free check of each (total 4 checks), and still move.
I'll take light horse warbeast template for the mount and owl for the animal companion, extending the senses.

Let's add shadow sword acf at 3rd, giving a +5 circumstance to move silent 2x/day (lose endurance). Total +18.

Human
Darkstalker, LoM

R 2 RS

F PBS
F 2 MS, GMS

When you hide, blindsense, blindsight, scent, or tremorsense must make Listen or Spot (whichever DC is higher). Also can flank vs all-around vision.

Over all pretty good build the big issue I see is your mount is pretty much incapable of hiding... It is a glaring issue with any mounted scout build without wild plains outrider.

I would suggest switching to a strongheart halfling with a warbeast wolf, also since the wolf isn't your animal companion might as well give it magebred.

Even better a magebred clawfoot warbeast, they have a very nice bonus to hide but sadly no move silently for some reason (always bugs me when that happens).

GreatDane
2020-03-03, 12:47 PM
Raiders Captain Guts
(Berserk Manga fluff^^)

I just want to compliment the write-up for this build. It has flavor, formatting, and just a little bit of gouda.

As others have pointed out, War Master's Charge requires an initiator level of 17, but the build is still good (and looks fun to play!) without the ability to harass the Tarrasque.

bean illus
2020-03-03, 01:48 PM
Here's a scout/archer.
Ranger 4/ Fighter 2.
Human
Darkstalker, LoM

R 2 RS
F PBS
F 2 MS, GMS

Over all pretty good build the big issue I see is your mount is pretty much incapable of hiding... It is a glaring issue with any mounted scout build without wild plains outrider.

I would suggest switching to a strongheart halfling with a warbeast wolf, also since the wolf isn't your animal companion might as well give it magebred.

Even better a magebred clawfoot warbeast, they have a very nice bonus to hide but sadly no move silently for some reason (always bugs me when that happens).

I saw the lack of WPO, and can't believe I misses the strongheart/wolf combo. Much better. Must've been late. lol.

Fouredged Sword
2020-03-03, 04:33 PM
For a mounted build I would suggest cleric 6. You avoid having to sink a ton of effort into your mount and can instead focus on whatever you want to do as a rider. The trick is to be a halfling. This opens up medium mounts. Take the air domain and fell drain. Now you can fell drain a medium air elemental to lower it's HD and rebuke it into your control starting at level 1. There are a lot of threats in E6 that stop being threats when you have an 100ft perfect fly speed. Get ride by attack and use it to dart in and out of combat poking things with your weapon. Cast spells as useful. Generally be a cleric.

If your mount dies you just need to find or call a new one and rebuke it. Talk to your DM about a ritual to cast Lesser Planer Ally to call in a new one to rebuke.

liquidformat
2020-03-03, 04:47 PM
For a mounted build I would suggest cleric 6. You avoid having to sink a ton of effort into your mount and can instead focus on whatever you want to do as a rider. The trick is to be a halfling. This opens up medium mounts. Take the air domain and fell drain. Now you can fell drain a medium air elemental to lower it's HD and rebuke it into your control starting at level 1. There are a lot of threats in E6 that stop being threats when you have an 100ft perfect fly speed. Get ride by attack and use it to dart in and out of combat poking things with your weapon. Cast spells as useful. Generally be a cleric.

If your mount dies you just need to find or call a new one and rebuke it. Talk to your DM about a ritual to cast Lesser Planer Ally to call in a new one to rebuke.

Read first post, we are looking at minimal magic focus, which 6 levels of cleric wouldn't be...

Gruftzwerg
2020-03-03, 05:59 PM
You can't pick a maneuver you don't have the prerequisites for, and one of the prerequisites is a minimum class/initiator level. You need a level of 17 to pick War Master's Charge.

I just want to compliment the write-up for this build. It has flavor, formatting, and just a little bit of gouda.

As others have pointed out, War Master's Charge requires an initiator level of 17, but the build is still good (and looks fun to play!) without the ability to harass the Tarrasque.

Imho the rules allow it.

The "Level" is not a "Requirement" for a maneuver. These are 2 separate things for maneuvers. Level is sole for the regular progression of the Martial Classes, not for Martial Study/Stance. Martial Study and Martial Stance only direct your to the "requirements", which are sole "other maneuvers known", since they bypass class (and thus class level) requirements.

Level
This entry gives the martial adept class or classes that have access to this maneuver: crusader, swordsage, or warblade. The line also gives the maeuver's level within the class.
You can learn any maneuver you like by choosing the Martial Study feat, regardless of class. However, you must still meet the prerequesite of the maneuver.

Prerequisite
In addition to meeting the class and level requirements before you can learn a maneuver, you must meet a certain set of requirements to be able to choose that maneuver as one you know. Stances are considered maneuvers for the purpose of meeting the prerequisite to learn a new maneuver.
You can't learn a maneuver unless you gain a level in a martial adept class, a level in a prestige class that grants maneuvers known, or you take the Martial Study feat.
Maneuvers Known: Some of the more powerful maneuvers require you to learn one or more other maneuvers in the same discipline before they can be selected.

The "maneuver's level within the class" is a requirement within the class progression.
The next to last sentence of Level gives the "specific exception" for Martial Study to bypass class requirements.
The first sentence under "Prerequisite" refers back to the "general" Martial Adept classes mentioned in the previous paragraph. "In addition.." is in indicator for that.
Then it starts to inform you how stances are counted for meeting the prerequisite and ends with the real requirement: "Martial Maneuvers known".

Imho Martial Study/Stance ignores the lvl requirement since they are bound to the regular class progressions and not a prerequisite. The feats require the "Prerequisites" and not the class (and anything related to it).

For "Martial Study & Stance" the Initiator lvl is only important for those maneuvers that scale with it.

SirNibbles
2020-03-03, 08:05 PM
Ranger 5/Ranger Knight of Furyondy 1 (Dragon Magazine #317, page 68) with the Holy Mount feat (Dragon Magazine #325, page 62) gives you an 11th level Paladin Special Mount. This opens up a lot of options for flying mounts.

Eladrinblade
2020-03-03, 08:27 PM
The Charger
Human Paladin 6

Nobody hits harder than a paladin using smite-evil with a lance during a spirited charge.

The Archer
Goblin Scout 5/Ranger 1

Not actually too sure on the exact build, but if you can convince your DM to allow you to skirmish while mounted, this is hard to beat. Use Wild Cohort to get a wolf (or warg?) mount.

SirNibbles
2020-03-03, 08:43 PM
Imho the rules allow it.

The "Level" is not a "Requirement" for a maneuver. These are 2 separate things for maneuvers. Level is sole for the regular progression of the Martial Classes, not for Martial Study/Stance. Martial Study and Martial Stance only direct your to the "requirements", which are sole "other maneuvers known", since they bypass class (and thus class level) requirements.

The "maneuver's level within the class" is a requirement within the class progression.
The next to last sentence of Level gives the "specific exception" for Martial Study to bypass class requirements.
The first sentence under "Prerequisite" refers back to the "general" Martial Adept classes mentioned in the previous paragraph. "In addition.." is in indicator for that.
Then it starts to inform you how stances are counted for meeting the prerequisite and ends with the real requirement: "Martial Maneuvers known".

Imho Martial Study/Stance ignores the lvl requirement since they are bound to the regular class progressions and not a prerequisite. The feats require the "Prerequisites" and not the class (and anything related to it).

For "Martial Study & Stance" the Initiator lvl is only important for those maneuvers that scale with it.

"You can learn any maneuver you like by choosing the Martial Study feat, regardless of class.
_
In addition to meeting the class and level requirements before you can learn a maneuver, you must meet a certain set of requirements to be able to choose that maneuver as one you know." - Tome of Battle, page 44

So you can ignore class requirements. Where does it say you can ignore level requirements?

Gruftzwerg
2020-03-03, 11:56 PM
"You can learn any maneuver you like by choosing the Martial Study feat, regardless of class.
_
In addition to meeting the class and level requirements before you can learn a maneuver, you must meet a certain set of requirements to be able to choose that maneuver as one you know." - Tome of Battle, page 44

So you can ignore class requirements. Where does it say you can ignore level requirements?

Pls reread my argumentation again ..

The text that I did quote in my last post explains it.

Level
This entry gives the martial adept class or classes that have access to this maneuver: crusader, swordsage, or warblade. The line also gives the maeuver's level within the class.
You can learn any maneuver you like by choosing the Martial Study feat, regardless of class. However, you must still meet the prerequesite of the maneuver.

The entry under Level explains, that as a general rule to acquire maneuvers you got to have the right right class and enough lvls in that class. The Text talks about "the line also gives the maneuver's level within a class."
The right next sentence gives you the permission (specific beats general)with Martial Study to ignore class requirements, and thus the associated class level requirement for it. Nowhere is "Initiator lvl" explicitly mentioned as Requirement. Only class requirements to pick maneuvers that get ignored via MS.

You expend a precious feat to get access to class abilities earlier. Nothing uncommon in d&d. E.g. a Ranger build that picks the remaining TWF feats as regular feats instead of waiting and investing ranger lvl. Or a rogue that increases sneack attack via feats (e.g. Martial Stance for Assassins Stance), he does also expend a feat to get class imrovements earlier. And the same is here. Martial Study allows for real flexibility and is worth the expense of 1/7th of your feats.

Gorthawar
2020-03-04, 02:15 AM
Hi there, first post on this forum but there were a few thoughts on this topic that I had to share instead of just read.

1. Mount
When playing a mounted character I believe in having a mount that can come along most of the time as in my DnD experience there seem to be a whole lot of Dungeons. As such I prefer medium size mounts with multiple forms of movement and other utility. Furthermore I believe in getting the mount as some sort of class feature or feat as it makes it so much easier to attain.

2. Race
For a medium mount You need a small size character. If you don't want to lose out too much on strength just because your small there are the wild dwarf and the korobokuru.

3. Initiator level
My understanding is that your IL is equal to the relevant martial class + half the levels of all other classes. So a warblade 3 / crusader 2 would have a warblade IL of 4 and a crusader IL of 2. Maneuvers chosen can be up to (IL+1)/2

Build:
Mounted Combat Ranger (DR326 I believe) level 4 / Warblade 1 / Lion Totem Barbarian 1 Wild Dwarf.

Feats: Mounted Combat (L1), Track (Ranger 1), Ride-by Attack (Ranger 2), Spirited Charge (L3), Natural bond (L6), and extra rage, power attack and shock trooper feats for later.

Maneuvers: IL3 Leading the charge (stance),
Battle leaders charge, wall of blades, +1 extra

With a leopard as animal companion you can scout well and do an impressive amount of damage on the first charge especially with a Lance. You get 2 attacks yourself dealing (Str bonus +2Rage+weapon bonus+3 leading the charge+10 battle leaders charge) x4-5 (lance+spirited Charge+rhino rush spell and potentially a valerous item) and then the leopard gets 1 bite+2 claw and 2 rake attacks all gaining +3 damage from leading the charge and x2 damage from the shared Rhino rush.

edit: oh and you can even have a fleshraker animal companion / mount instead of the leopard if your DM allows it.

Gruftzwerg
2020-03-04, 06:22 AM
3. Initiator level
My understanding is that your IL is equal to the relevant martial class + half the levels of all other classes. So a warblade 3 / crusader 2 would have a warblade IL of 4 and a crusader IL of 2. Maneuvers chosen can be up to (IL+1)/2

The initiator level has 2 purposes:

a) the strength (variables) of some maneuvers

b) when you pick maneuvers gained from the marital adapt classes. This is the general rule to acquire maneuvers.

Martial Study (feat text) only points you to the "Prerequisite". The Prerequisites refer back to level requirements in a certain martial adept class. And the column about Level explains that Martial Adept classes need a level requirement (when gaining maneuvers from class lvl) while Martial Study ignores the Martial Adept class requirement (and thus the associated level requirement).

If you look up the general description of Initiator Level on P.39 ToB, nothing indicated that it's a measurement for picking/choosing maneuvers. It's a tool for maneuvers with variables. Only the marital adapt classes define the Initiator level as requirement for picking maneuvers from class lvl ups.

The general rule for picking maneuvers with Initiator level is for Martial Adept class progressions, much like Spell level for caster. But as casters (or even races) can sometimes get access to spells that they wouldn't be able to cast otherwise from their actual level (most of the time as SLA/day), Martial Study helps with learning high lvl maneuvers if you meet the prerequisite. And just like those SLA, Martial Study only grants limited access (1/encounter) unless you have a Martial Adept class.

Gorthawar
2020-03-04, 06:44 AM
Whilst I have played D&D for many years I'm pretty new to the Tome of Battle itself. I've just stated my understanding of the rules to explain the choices for my build.

I'm not worried about whether you can get level 9 maneuvers or not using a martial study based on RAW and don't intent to go further into the discussion as I know my DM would most certainly not allow it and neither would I when it's my turn to DM again.

On a side note I dig the ability to re-use a crusader maneuver every round in your build and was wondering if it would work as well when starting with warblade 2 chosing the 4 white raven and stone mountain maneuvers leaving only the 2 devoted spirit maneuvers for the first crusader level to pick with IL2 at level 3? That way you can martial study and extra granted maneuver again to have 3 known and 3 granted to refresh every round without requiring the level 4 in warblade. As such you'd get more flexibility in your build to include for example a barbarian level for pounce and 1 level of beastmaster to get a nice animal companion.

Gruftzwerg
2020-03-05, 01:29 AM
Whilst I have played D&D for many years I'm pretty new to the Tome of Battle itself. I've just stated my understanding of the rules to explain the choices for my build.

I'm not worried about whether you can get level 9 maneuvers or not using a martial study based on RAW and don't intent to go further into the discussion as I know my DM would most certainly not allow it and neither would I when it's my turn to DM again.

On a side note I dig the ability to re-use a crusader maneuver every round in your build and was wondering if it would work as well when starting with warblade 2 chosing the 4 white raven and stone mountain maneuvers leaving only the 2 devoted spirit maneuvers for the first crusader level to pick with IL2 at level 3? That way you can martial study and extra granted maneuver again to have 3 known and 3 granted to refresh every round without requiring the level 4 in warblade. As such you'd get more flexibility in your build to include for example a barbarian level for pounce and 1 level of beastmaster to get a nice animal companion.

This thread is just theoretical optimization. Most of us don't play at this optimization lvl. So don't worry about the lil rule wars here and there ;)

To your question about the combo:
You can delay the fist level of Crusader up to lvl 4 without running into problems. Cause xxx4/Crusader1 will have an Initiator level of 3 for Crusader (Crusader 1 + 1/2 other levels) which enables you to pick level2 maneuvers and the combo breaks apart (or becomes harder to pull out. Haven't checked it to be honest). I picked Crusader @lvl2 in this build because the requirement for this contest was max lvl6 and the other part needed the room.

Extending the combo:
Warblade and Swordsage can each exchange a known maneuver every 4 levels. This enables you to further exchange more low lvl Crusader maneuvers. You can than take further Crusader lvls to replace the freed spot with a new (higher lvl) maneuver. Or take Martial Study instead of Crusader lvl if you can and want to spare a feat for it.
And last but not least, the other Crusader combo (not my me^^) is to abuse the martial adept PRCs in ToB. They give maneuvers known and maneuvers readied as separate abilities, you can juggle between Crusader and Warblade/Swordsage as you need it to keep the combo alive.

bean illus
2020-03-05, 01:17 PM
Here's a scout/archer.
Ranger 4/ Fighter 2.
Human
Darkstalker, LoM

R 2 RS
F PBS
F 2 MS, GMS

I saw the lack of WPO, and can't believe I misses the strongheart/wolf combo. Much better.

I think there's a duskblade 1 option. Trade ranger casting for champion of the wild and get PBS that way.

Strongheart halfling, darkstalker
Mount, warbeast magebred wolf

R 2 RS
R 4 PBS, urban companion - owl
Duskblade
F 1 MS, GMS

There's an argument that ranger spells/wands are more scout like, but DB does get a small handful of useful things; not least of which are +2 will save, and at will detect magic.

There aren't many options that retain the 6 bab.

thorr-kan
2020-03-06, 10:13 AM
The spell-less ranger and paladin ACFs from CompChamp might be of interest.

bean illus
2020-03-07, 01:27 PM
The spell-less ranger and paladin ACFs from CompChamp might be of interest.

"The spell-less ranger" is possibly "champion of the wild" and is used in the post above your's

bean illus
2020-03-10, 03:06 PM
The Charger
Human Paladin 6

Nobody hits harder than a paladin using smite-evil with a lance during a spirited charge.

The Archer
Goblin Scout 5/Ranger 1
Use Wild Cohort to get a wolf (or warg?) mount.

If you don't want to lose out too much on strength just because your small there are the wild dwarf and the korobokuru.

Build:
Mounted Combat Ranger (DR326 I believe) level 4 / Warblade 1 / Lion Totem Barbarian 1 Wild Dwarf.

Feats: Mounted Combat (L1), Track (Ranger 1), Ride-by Attack (Ranger 2), Spirited Charge (L3), Natural bond (L6), and extra rage, power attack and shock trooper feats for later.

Maneuvers: IL3 Leading the charge (stance),
Battle leaders charge, wall of blades, +1 extra

With a leopard as animal companion you can scout well and do an impressive amount of damage on the first charge especially with a Lance. You get 2 attacks yourself dealing (Str bonus +2Rage+weapon bonus+3 leading the charge+10 battle leaders charge) x4-5 (lance+spirited Charge+rhino rush spell and potentially a valerous item) and then the leopard gets 1 bite+2 claw and 2 rake attacks all gaining +3 damage from leading the charge and x2 damage from the shared Rhino rush.

edit: oh and you can even have a fleshraker animal companion / mount instead of the leopard if your DM allows it.

Here's a scout/archer.

I'll take wolf magebred warbeast template for the mount and owl for the animal companion, extending the senses.

Let's add shadow sword acf at 3rd, giving a +5 circumstance to move silent 2x/day (lose endurance). Total +20 move, +17 hide.
Halfling makes this scout even sneaker. With +4 hide, +2 move, +2 listen, and +2 dex it's sneaky. The Wis based spells synergize with listen and spot, as well as Will saves,and the Int cut is no biggie on ranger.
16 15 12 - 12 14 8 ... pre adjusted
14 17(18) 12 - 12 14 8 .. with race and level adj.

Strongheart halfling, warbeast magebred wolf
Darkstalker, LoM

R 2 RS

F PBS
F 2 MS, GMS

Max listen, spot, hide, move, handle animal, and ride. You'll have just enough points left to synergize tumble/balance/ etc.

2 Chargers
1 Mounted Archer Scout
1 dismounted skirmish archer Scout

Here's some Mounted Archer builds.

FULL RANGER VERSION

Human, magebred warbeast
Mounted Combat

R FE arcanist, Mounted Archery
R 2 RS
R 3 PBS

R 4
R 5 urban companion - owl, FE 2
R 6 MS, GMS

Natural Bond, Improved Mounted Archery

Wand of reduce animal. Handle Animal on wolves, and perhaps train them as warbeasts.

Full BAB, Imp Mounted Archery, spells, skills. Natural bond will have much affect at these levels, as will 'the ranger menagerie'.

FULL FIGHTER VERSION

Human, magebred warbeast
Mounted Combat
Targeteer EWP bolas, EWP bowstaff

F 1 MA, PBS
F 2 WF bowstaff
F 3 IMA

F 4 WSp bowstaff
F 5
F 6 RS, MS

Imp RS, Imp Trip ... - or -
GMS, Wild Cohort

Fire 3 arrows, at any target, at any point during your move, at full gallop, at +7/2 to hit +5 dam, (sans pbs and prebuff). Jump off and threaten squares with bow, or swing stick twice at +9/+3 for +5 dam.

Any combination of the last 4 feats could work, BUT

Targeteer variant grants 2 exotic ranged weapons. 'Bowstaff' (elvencraft fluff) does bludgeon, and allows WF/WSp to apply to both melee and ranged damage, while the bolas allow trip at range from horseback, which is pretty cool, and still relevant at E6 though situational.

Either way, be prepared to spend cross class skills for Handle Animal. Human helps with that. Your wolf isn't as effective as the ranger's pack, but can flank, and help defend the mount.

Reduce animal is harder, but fighter's are big, and aren't sneaking, and are rarely fighting in small spaces. We'll be using enlarge person more often.