PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5th Edition Kasatha Player Race

HamboneKablooey
2020-03-01, 05:39 PM
Hey guys. I've been working on this since I played as a Kasatha in Pathfinder a few years ago, and since the only games I'm currently playing are in 5th edition I wanted to try coming up with a 5th edition version of the Kasatha. It can also work as a Thri-Kreen in a pinch. Having both Stalker and Defensive Training might be a bit much, so I'm considering either removing one or nerfing Stalker to let you pick one of the skills instead of both. Let me know what you guys think!

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2 and your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Alignment. Most kasatha remain neutral when travelling the worlds. Due to their tight clan structures most would lean towards lawful, though those who choose to leave behind their clans and spend their lives adventuring may lean further to chaos.
Age. Kasatha reach maturity around age 25, and most can live up to 140 years.
Size. Kasatha generally stand between 6 and 8 feet tall, and weigh between 120 and 200 lbs. Your size is medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet. You have a climbing speed of 20 feet.
Defensive Training. You gain a +1 bonus to AC while you aren’t wearing medium or heavy armor and aren’t using a shield.
Stalker. You are proficient in Perception and Stealth.
Desert Strider. You are well acclimated to harsh, arid climates. You have advantage on Constitution saves against becoming exhausted due to extreme heat. Additionally, you can move through non-magical difficult terrain in desert environments at normal speed.
Multi-Armed. Kasatha have four arms. One hand is considered your primary hand, while all others are considered off hands. You can only wield weapons with two hands at a time, but you can use any of your hands for other purposes that require free hands.
Taking the Duel Wielder feat applies to all three off hands, but if you choose to wield a weapon in more than two of your hands, all weapons must have the light quality.
Additionally, you have advantage on Athletics checks to grapple objects and creatures, and on Athletics or Acrobatics checks triggered by climbing.
Languages. You can speak, read and write Common and Kasath. Kasath as a language is sharp and guttural, with many growls, clicks and rolling of sounds to alter meaning.

MrStabby
2020-03-07, 03:50 PM
Yes, this is a bit much.

4 arms capable of independent use is a bit much. If nothing else it let's you have a shield, two weapons and a free hand for spell casting or grappling. A free shield is even better than a +1 to armour whilst lightly armoured or unarmoured.

The Cats
2020-03-07, 06:12 PM
Not having to worry about stowing weapons, keeping a free hand for spellcasting/object interaction or whatever is pretty good. Solid racial ability. As is though, you can wield a two-handed weapon with two shields. A greatsword with one shield would already make this a snap pick for any martial class.

The wording also implies that getting dual wielder lets you make two offhand attacks per round. Might actually be a good idea, since dual wielding falls off at alter levels, but again it puts these guys far ahead of any other race in melee combat.

That this is bundled with advantage on three kinds of checks is is just excess icing.

The other abilities on their own are very solid. You'd only need to add something small in after those to make this pretty well balanced.

tl;dr cool but as written it's one O-O-O-OP ability attached to three already solid abilities.