PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Crafting a Stubborn Druid, or the Circle of the Perfected Form

Rerem115
2020-03-01, 11:23 PM
So, I've had this idea kicking around in my head for a while now: a druid who picks one wildshape form and keeps it for their entire adventuring career, gradually buffing and enhancing that form so it's a viable combat and/or utility option. But, I keep running into trouble on how to implement it; it shares a significant amount of design space with the Circle of the Moon, and I can't figure out what bonuses it should get, when it should get them, and how it should scale.

Right now, I'm thinking of a system similar to Warlock invocations or Elemental Disciplines from the Way of the Four Elements; your subclass features are modular, stuff like "Gain a swim and climb speed", or "Add your Wisdom to AC while Wildshaped in your one form", or the like. What features do you guys think would be good, and what levels prerequisites should they have? Am I even going at this theme the right way at all?

Old Harry MTX
2020-03-02, 01:36 AM
Let me understand. You want to create different subclasses based each one on a specific animal form?

Lvl45DM!
2020-03-02, 08:10 AM
Let me understand. You want to create different subclasses based each one on a specific animal form?

I think hes hoping for one subclass that grants the ability to focus on a form

Rerem115
2020-03-02, 06:15 PM
I think hes hoping for one subclass that grants the ability to focus on a form

Indeed. The core concept was a druid that, instead of upgrading to 'better' combat forms like the Circle of the Moon, it would pick one 'preferred' wildshape form that would essentially level and improve as the druid did, rather like the Eidolon from 3.5.

clash
2020-03-02, 08:31 PM
This seems reasonable in its own space. Something like below. Please note I did not take time to run the numbers and balance it.

Circle of the spirit animal:
* flavor to taste

2 animal form: Starting at second level you choose one of the following animals as your spirit animal. When you wild shape you can choose to transform into the chosen animal. While you are transformed into your spirit animal you gain the additional benefits. You add your proficiency bonus to attacks rolls and damage. You gain additional hp equal to 4 times your druid level.
* Boar
* elk
* constrictor snake
* wolf
* panther

2 spell shifting: by expending a spell slot of first level or higher as a bonus action you can gain three benefits of wild shape into your chosen animal for 1 minute. If the spell you expend is 3rd level or higher you can instead shift for 10 minutes. If it is 5th level or higher you can instead shift for an hour. You retain your normal hp pool while spell shifted

6 spirit pact: starting at 6th level you form a pact with your animal spirit granting you additional gifts. Choose two of the following abilities. Choose another one at level 10 and another one at level 14.
* aquatic form: swim speed equal to your walking speed
* nocturnal hunter: darkvision out to 120ft
* pounce: if you move at least 20ft before hitting a creature with an attack they must succeed on a strength saving throw or fall prone
* keen sight: advantage on perception checks that rely on sight
* predatory instincts(level 10): if you make an attack against a creature as part of the attack action you may make another attack against the same creature as a bonus action.
* arial form(level 10) gain a flight speed equal to your walking speed.
* pack tactics(level 14): you have advantage on attack roles against a creature if one of your allies is within 5 ft of the same creature

10 improved multiattack: if you take the attack action or multiattack action while wild shaped you can attack an additional time to part of the same action.

14 improved spell shift: if you spell shift to enter wildshape you may transform between your normal form and your animal form as a bonus action while the duration lasts.

MagneticKitty
2020-03-04, 08:57 PM
I would either make a template that slowly gets stronger (this subsidised the lack of high cr animals) or go in another direction.....

I'd make them lycanthrope flavor if it was up to me. This sets them apart from moon and gives them an identity to a single animal.

This could be the druid that gets second attack (like swords bard) that I think would be a nice option.

This adds new functions to wildshape, does not replace wildshape.

Level 3 - True Wildshape. Pick a medium or small beast you can gain the appearences of at will. You keep the same stats as you normally have. (No tiny or large since we will not be as restricted in this shape and we don't want to break 5e.)
You have a movement speed of 40 while in this form. You may perform any actions you would normally be able to do such as casting spells and talking.

- Bonus spells like some of the new druids get always prepped such as speak with animals, beast sense, ect

Lv 6 - hybrid transformation
You can expend a wildshape to do a hybrid transformation for a number of minutes equal to half your druid level (rounded down) minimum 1. Your attacks count as magical for the purpose of overcoming non magical resistance and immunity. You have natural weapons that deal 1d8 + wisdom bludgeoning, slashing, or piercing (you pick one each time you transform. This can be a bite, claw, or slam attack).

Lv 6 - extra attack.

Lv 10 - whenever you use your action to cast a spell you can make one melee weapon attack using your bonus action.

Lv 14 - your animal senses leak into your regular form, you gain blindsight out to 30 ft. When hybrid transformed you gain a bonus to a.c. and all of your saves equal to half your proficiency bonus rounded down.

Amechra
2020-03-04, 11:03 PM
One possibility (since your Druid won't have a form with a Fly or Swim speed) is that you could allow the Druid to use cantrips while wildshaped. That would definitely be a way to distinguish it from the Moon Druid.