PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Size Modifier

Pelor3.0
2020-03-02, 08:25 AM
Hello everyone!
With have a problem about bonus and malus of the Size Modifier. All the bonus and malus are calculated for medium size?

ex: if you are small you have +1 versus medium and +2 vs large or you have only +1? Or worse
if you are colossal and i am fine i've got +128 and you -128. I don't think about this is too powerful, i think you take only +8 and the enemies -8. Thank to all and have a gg.

Gruftzwerg
2020-03-02, 09:23 AM
you have different stats that are effected by size modifiers in combat.

1) Attack bonus/penalty to Hit
If you are small, everything else is big and thus easier to hit. If you are big it's harder to hit all the small things around you.

2) Armor bonus
If you are small you are hard to hit. Contrary big targets are easy to hit.

3) size modifier for special attacks (trip, overrun...)

While this might seem unfair at first glance it is actually good balanced imho.

Because, creatures of the same size negate their bonuses and penalties while creatures of different size get the associated bonuses and penalties for the size difference.

e.g. small vs small: the attacker get a +1 bonus to hit while the defender has +1 AC due to being small.

edit: the size modifier for special attack makes step at +4. imho a strong but reasonable step. +4 relates to 20% increased chance on a d20 most of the time. So and adult has a 20% higher chance in grapples, when tripping and the like. Sounds fair to me.
And yeah, if a colossal creature would try to grapple/pin an ant, than your have +128 vs -128. ^^

Pelor3.0
2020-03-02, 09:39 AM
Thank you! Ps what is imho??? We use the same in my country but i never understand the mean

Gruftzwerg
2020-03-02, 09:47 AM
Thank you! Ps what is imho??? We use the same in my country but i never understand the mean

In my humble opinion. > I think/believe that something is this way

Biggus
2020-03-02, 12:03 PM
Hello everyone!
With have a problem about bonus and malus of the Size Modifier. All the bonus and malus are calculated for medium size?

ex: if you are small you have +1 versus medium and +2 vs large or you have only +1? Or worse
if you are colossal and i am fine i've got +128 and you -128. I don't think about this is too powerful, i think you take only +8 and the enemies -8. Thank to all and have a gg.

+128 and -128? Where are you getting those numbers from? :smallconfused:

Thurbane
2020-03-02, 05:51 PM
Another thing not yet mentioned is that Size modifiers also affect Hide checks.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-03-02, 06:06 PM
Size modifiers don't changed based on the size of your foe. As a small character, you have a +1 on attack rolls and armor class, and a -4 on trip, grapple, overrun, disarm, and disarm. Finally, you get a +4 on hide. That's it. These bonuses don't change with your foes size, only with yours if you're subject to enlarge or reduce person.

KillianHawkeye
2020-03-02, 10:04 PM
Yeah no, your size modifiers are based on YOUR size, and are not related to the size of any other creatures. Those creatures have their own size modifiers to take care of their size issues.

If you are Small, you have a +1 to hit and to AC. It's slightly easier to hit things that are bigger than you (because they lack a size bonus, or may even have a size penalty, to AC), for example. But if you attack another Small creature, it's just like two Medium creatures attacking each other because your +1 to hit is countered by the other guy's +1 AC. The same goes for all size categories.