PDA

View Full Version : Advantage on all Saving Throws Possibility?

Setharious
2020-03-02, 10:17 AM
I was looking at the Vedalken and it gives advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws. So I was wondering, what are the best/easiest ways to get advantage on Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution saving throws? Having them constantly active is preferred, but all ideas/suggestions are welcome!

Catullus64
2020-03-02, 10:33 AM
Well, a Barbarian at Level 2 gets situational advantage on Strength and Dexterity saves, from Rage and Danger sense respectively. Ironically, the Strength advantage from Rage is mutually exclusive with the best thing I can think of for Constitution, which is the Concentration advantage from the War Caster feat. I don't know how well your Gnome spellcaster/Barbarian is going to play. Blanket advantage on an entire type of saving throw is pretty rare.

There's always 14 levels of Abjurer Wizard, which gives advantage for all types of saving throws, but only against spells. While that's still a fantastic feature, I find that spells account for a smaller portion of PC-made saving throws than one might initially think.

Honestly, if you want to be a Saving Throws monster, your best hope is not in trying to gain blanket advantage, but to just play a Gnome (or Stout Halfling: Poison + Fear advantage, extremely common saves) with a class that grants some combination of Strength + Constitution or Strength + Dexterity. A Forest Gnome fighter who focuses on Dexterity will have all his saves be pretty decent.

That, or just play a Paladin. Aura of Protection is some OP nonsense, I tells ya.

RogueJK
2020-03-02, 10:34 AM
The Yuan-Ti Pureblood race has Magic Resistance, which grants advantage on all saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

That's not every saving throw, but it's most, since spells and magical effects are the most common reason for saving throws.

nickl_2000
2020-03-02, 10:36 AM
Not quite what you are looking for, but the math ends up being somewhat close and it may be the easiest solution overall.

War Wizard level 2 Arcane Deflection gives you the ability to add +4 to a saving throw as a reaction to a saving throw.

RogueJK
2020-03-02, 10:39 AM
So a Yuan-Ti Pureblood Paladin 6/War Wizard 2 with a high CHA could have advantage plus a massive additional bonus (extra +7/+8/+9 on top of the standard ability bonus plus possible proficiency bonus) against a spell saving throw, and still have the massive bonus but no advantage against a non-magic saving throw.

nickl_2000
2020-03-02, 10:43 AM
So a Yuan-Ti Pureblood Paladin 6/War Wizard 2 with a high CHA could have advantage plus a massive additional bonus (extra +7/+8/+9 on top of the standard ability bonus plus possible proficiency bonus) against a spell saving throw, and still have the massive bonus but no advantage against a non-magic saving throw.

A shame you can't get 2 more levels to get to level 14 monk to get diamond soul to get proficiency in all saving throws as well.

RogueJK
2020-03-02, 10:53 AM
I smell a new potential build...

"Mage Hunter" Yuan-Ti Pureblood War Wizard 2/Ancients or Watcher Paladin X.

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-02, 01:09 PM
One of the stronger builds out there that just uses the PHB is:

Gnome
2 Druid (Moon)
2 Barbarian

Advantage on Strength and Dexterity saves.
AC equal to Dex + Con, applies during Wild Shape.
Rage to halve weapon damage.
Reckless Attack for your beast forms.
Advantage on mental saving throws to resist spells.

Honestly, the only thing you might have trouble saving against is Constitution (and War Caster, Resilient, or Beast Form can deal with that).

Sure, you could try to find a way to specifically grab Advantage on everything within 20 levels, but there are means of doing almost the exact same with just 4.

HPisBS
2020-03-02, 02:11 PM
It's not technically advantage, but a lvl 14 Monk gets Diamond Soul, which lets you re-roll any failed save for a ki point (also proficiency in all saves).

Combine that with your Vedalken trait and you'd have super advantage on all mental saves.
–– Actually, since you'd be re-rolling a roll with advantage (total of 4 d20s), I guess that'd be like Mega Advantage
– – – (combine with Lucky for Ultra Advantage lol)

Yakmala
2020-03-02, 02:18 PM
Yaun-Ti Pureblood Monk 14, Paladin 6.

Advantage on all saves against spells and magical effects.
Proficiency in all saves.
Add charisma bonus to saves.

stoutstien
2020-03-02, 02:23 PM
Pure artificer doesn't get advantage but enough static bonuses to make up for it. +6/12 on top of base save values.