PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next College of Marshalling; Commander Bard

sandmote
2020-03-02, 04:34 PM
This page on the homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Ng3ofA_t)

This is my attempt at a compromise between a character who focuses on working behind the scenes for the party and one who's still useful in combat.

Fluff:
Bards of the college of marshaling are not masters of combat or harming their enemies. Instead, the college of marshaling teaches how to turn a small force into a powerful juggernaut on the field of battle, carrying the day against enemies who expected the upper hand.

Logistician
When you choose this archeotype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with land vehicles and sea vehicles. Your proficiency bonus is doubled whenever you make a check using either skill.

Emergency Inspiration
From 3rd level, you can grant a creature a bardic inspiration die as a reaction when the creature makes an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw which the creature must use on that roll. You may use this reaction even while you are surprised.

Field Command
Starting at 3th level, you learn to field a commanding presence, guiding your allies in combat. As a bonus action, you can make one of the following commands. A creature you target must be able to hear you to gain the benefits of your field command.

Early Response You warn an ally of an attack or hazard from one creature, trap, or environmental feature of your choice. The next time the ally must make a saving throw created by the creature or object before the start of your next turn, it gains advantage on the saving throw.
Prepare Defense You warn one of your allies of an impending attack by one creature. The first time that creature makes an attack roll against the ally before the start of your next turn, the creature has disadvantage on the attack.
Uncover Target Choose one target you can see. Creatures of your choice that cannot see the target may make a perception check contested by the target's stealth check to spot the target (the target gains benefits from being lightly or heavily obscured as normal).

Greater Field Command
By 6th level, you can direct a varied variety of maneuvers in the heat of battle. When you use your Field Command feature, you can also choose from the following field commands.

Clear Mind You distract an ally that is charmed or frightened, taking their attention for a moment. The ally can immediately repeat a saving throw against one effect causing it to be charmed or frightened. Once an ally has benefited from this field command, you cannot use this field command to allow it a saving throw against the same effect causing it to be charmed or frightened.
Instruct Grapple You instruct an ally how to get out of a difficult position. The next time the creature makes an Acrobatics (Dexterity) or Athletics (Strength) check to escape a grapple, it gains advantage on the check.
Prepare Attack You instruct an ally of an impending opening in one creature's defenses. The first time your ally makes an attack roll against the creature before the start of your next turn, you ally has advantage on the attack roll.

Tactician
By 14th level, you can direct a fighting group to regain cohesion in the heat of battle. As an action, you can order your allies to reorganize. Each creature of your choice within 30 feet of you can move up to half its movement as a reaction. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity. You can also use one of your Field Command options as part of the same action.

You can use this feature once, and regain the ability to do so at the end of a short or long rest.

JNAProductions
2020-03-05, 08:37 PM
Strike is too good with a Rogue in the party, basically doubling their DPR as a bonus action on your part.

Rest looks fine.

sandmote
2020-03-06, 07:00 PM
Strike is too good with a Rogue in the party, basically doubling their DPR as a bonus action on your part.

Rest looks fine.

I'm having trouble coming up with a fix. On one hand, yeah that needs to be cut. On the other, I want to make sure it doesn't interfere with attacks of opportunity to a point it never gets used.

Not have it use their reaction but prevent "on a hit" effects, I guess?

sandmote
2020-05-04, 04:10 PM
Okay, I've written replacement features for the previously broken ability, so I'm bumping this.

Please note I am the original creator of this thread, and this thread is under Homebrew.

Composer99
2020-05-05, 03:43 PM
Logistician
When you choose this archeotype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with land vehicles and sea vehicles. Your proficiency bonus is doubled whenever you make a check using either skill.

Decent ribbon.

Emergency Inspiration
From 3rd level, you can grant a creature a bardic inspiration die as a reaction when the creature makes an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw which the creature must use on that roll. You may use this reaction even while you are surprised.

I like this ability.

I wonder if it would be better to swap this with the 6th level feature, though. As is I don't think this and the ribbon are enough to make it feel distinct from the base class at 3rd level, never mind other subclasses.

Field Command
Starting at 6th level, you learn to field a commanding presence, guiding your allies in combat. As a bonus action, you can make one of the following commands.

Prepare Attack You instruct an ally of an impending opening in one creature's defenses. The first time your ally makes an attack roll against the creature before the start of your next turn, you ally has advantage on the attack roll.

Prepare Defense You warn one of your allies of an impending attack by one creature. The first time that creature makes an attack roll against the ally before the start of your next turn, the creature has disadvantage on the attack.

Uncover Target Choose one target you can see. Creatures of your choice that cannot see the target may make a perception check contested by the target's stealth check to spot the target (the target gains benefits from being lightly or heavily obscured as normal).

This really seems like the heart of the subclass, and it feels bad coming online so late.

Also, the only ability that feels worthwhile is give advantage on attack rolls one. The defensive ability just can't compare, except maybe in a pinch. The Uncover Target ability... I don't know, it just seems so situational.

Tactician
As an action, you can order your allies to reorganize. Each creature of your choice within 30 feet of you can move up to half its movement as a reaction. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity. You can use one option from your Field Command feature as part of the same reaction.

You can use this feature once, and regain the ability to do so at the end of a short or long rest.

So... do you get to field command each creature that uses its reaction to move? Or do you get to make a single such command as part of your action that you use to activate this ability? Maybe it's just me, but I'm finding that ambiguous.

sandmote
2020-05-05, 08:07 PM
I wonder if it would be better to swap this with the 6th level feature, though. As is I don't think this and the ribbon are enough to make it feel distinct from the base class at 3rd level, never mind other subclasses. Arguably this is missing a 3rd level feature, as most bards have three, or two larger ones (one of which is invariably an extra use for their bardic inspiration).

This really seems like the heart of the subclass, and it feels bad coming online so late.

Also, the only ability that feels worthwhile is give advantage on attack rolls one. The defensive ability just can't compare, except maybe in a pinch. The Uncover Target ability... I don't know, it just seems so situational. If your DM messes with lines of sight and have higher Int monsters use tactics, the Uncover Target is useful. Similarly, if everyone who's going to be making an attack roll already has advantage (such as if they're focusing on a restrained target), I need some things for the PC to still be able to do (such as limiting a second target's attacks).

Would it work to give Field Command at 3rd level with only the Prepare Defense and Uncover Target options, and grant Prepare Attack and some more options at 6th?

So... do you get to field command each creature that uses its reaction to move? Or do you get to make a single such command as part of your action that you use to activate this ability? Maybe it's just me, but I'm finding that ambiguous.

Is the following language clearer?

As an action, you can order your allies to reorganize. Each creature of your choice within 30 feet of you can move up to half its movement as a reaction. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity. You can also use one of your Field Command options as part of the same action.

Composer99
2020-05-05, 08:23 PM
Would it work to give Field Command at 3rd level with only the Prepare Defense and Uncover Target options, and grant Prepare Attack and some more options at 6th?

I would say so. It might be nice to give an option to have a single ally move around, possibly at 3rd level, possibly at 6th.

Is the following language clearer?

As an action, you can order your allies to reorganize. Each creature of your choice within 30 feet of you can move up to half its movement as a reaction. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity. You can also use one of your Field Command options as part of the same action.

Much clearer, thank you.

sandmote
2020-05-05, 09:48 PM
I would say so. It might be nice to give an option to have a single ally move around, possibly at 3rd level, possibly at 6th.

I don't want a simple repeat of Tactician, but I have added four options: advantage on a saving throw, advantage on escaping a grapple, and an extra saving throw against mind altering effects (limited to one per effect).