PDA

View Full Version : Magical Mutation Ideas

Undyne
2020-03-02, 04:59 PM
So, I'm running a Magic-Apocalypse campaign, and I want to know some ideas for mutations that could happen to any character or NPC, preferably sorted by Minor (A weaker effect) and Major (Stronger). Minor mutations would happen after a fair bit of exposure to raw magic, while Major might happen from being directly in contact with even relatively small amounts.

Nagog
2020-03-02, 06:16 PM
Wild Magic Sorcery could be a very major one. Beyond that, the permanent effects of the Wild Surge table could exist somewhere in the range between major and minor. Otherwise, sorcery of various manifestations or perhaps even Dragonmarks from the Eberron books could be used.

carrdrivesyou
2020-03-03, 10:10 AM
So, I'm running a Magic-Apocalypse campaign, and I want to know some ideas for mutations that could happen to any character or NPC, preferably sorted by Minor (A weaker effect) and Major (Stronger). Minor mutations would happen after a fair bit of exposure to raw magic, while Major might happen from being directly in contact with even relatively small amounts.

The obvious thing would be to swap body parts for things like tentacles or mechanical equivalents as minor bits. I would suggest things like becoming physically unstable, next thing they touch, they gain properties of. They fall into a pool of water? Boom! Tentacle arm, and a save vs gaining gills, webbed feet, or the need to dunk yourself like a grung or locathah. They fall into fire? Boom! They now have the produce flame, burning hands, or hellish rebuke spell once a day, resistance to fire, but vulnerability to cold. Save vs getting fire genasi style darkvision (which I think is just predator infravision).

In particularly interesting situations, let em roll on a reincarnate chart. That'll mess em up and be thematic all at once. They cast a spell, and BOOM! They're suddenly a kobold.

Other ideas:
1. increase or decrease size by a few feet
2. age or de-age them by 10 years, physically, not mentally
3. they gain a four foot tongue like a human frog and the desire to eat bugs
4. give em a thematic cantrip, but make that effect present at all times (primal savagery has claws for example)
5. give them wings. vestigial at first, but let them slowly learn to fly as they gain levels

Hope these help!

MagneticKitty
2020-03-03, 09:55 PM
I like ones that come with an upside and downside

Gain darkvision but also sunlight sensitivity
Gain water breathing but also water dependency
Gain blindsight via enhanced other senses but also lose ability to see and read (blind eyes)
Gain poison immunity and no longer need to eat but also immune to potions (can be flavored as being undead)
Gain breath weapon (dragon born) but also dragon greed
Ect