PDA

View Full Version : The Great Darkness

Corncracker
2007-10-22, 03:16 PM
Alright, I think I know what the inspiration behind the Snarl is. Now this is just a guess, and it does come from a Third party Book, Mongoose's Encyclopedia Arcane - Star MAgic.

There is a spell Called the Great Darkness. The description reads as followed,

At the heart of the cosmos squats a Vast and dark hunger, a thing that hungers to destroy. Ringed about by the Harshest and Darkest stars this darkness screams against the walls of its cage. Should it ever escape, the very fabric of the world would unravel. If the Gods survived they could start the world afresh for nothing would remain.

Not sure if this is coincedence or not, but its an interesting Idea none the less.

Any thoughts on this IDea? Or perhaps you'd like to share an Idea of your own.

EldritchExMachina
2007-10-22, 04:02 PM
Large Cosmic Accident That Threatens All Of Reality is a pretty common fantasy theme. I doubt the inspiration was drawn from that specific instance of it.

dragongirl13
2007-10-28, 07:52 PM
The Great Darkness and the Snarl seem to be thematically different, actually. The Great Darkness appears to be primal evil, while the Snarl is primal chaos.

And yes, big thingy about to destroy the world is pretty typical.

My big idea is...
I'm going to do some story or something where Light is bad and Darkness is good. The colors for Good will be red and black and the colors of Bad will be white and blue. All stereotypes will be totally reversed. It'll have female lead characters instead of male, sorceresses won't be scantily-clad hot girls anymore... et cetera.

Castamir
2007-10-29, 04:18 AM
My big idea is...
sorceresses won't be scantily-clad hot girls anymore...
the last part is like... meh

Regneva
2007-10-29, 04:21 AM
My big idea is...
I'm going to do some story or something where Light is bad and Darkness is good. The colors for Good will be red and black and the colors of Bad will be white and blue. All stereotypes will be totally reversed. It'll have female lead characters instead of male, sorceresses won't be scantily-clad hot girls anymore... et cetera.

Great, you can base a lot of things on Miko I think...

Kaelaroth
2007-10-29, 05:55 AM
The Great Darkness and the Snarl seem to be thematically different, actually. The Great Darkness appears to be primal evil, while the Snarl is primal chaos.

And yes, big thingy about to destroy the world is pretty typical.

My big idea is...

So are we having scantily clad hot male paladins? Coz that I'm OK with!

And, as said above I do not think that The Snarl is based of the Great Darkness. An all-mighty divine screw-up is a common theme running through classical and mythological literature. Rich just followed the tradition - and pulled it off better.

Kish
2007-10-29, 06:20 AM
My big idea is...
It's been done.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Jewels-Trilogy-Daughter-Darkness/dp/0451529014/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-7305066-4980822?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193656854&sr=8-1

Corncracker
2007-10-29, 01:18 PM
Meh, I think mosty I'm just hoping to see Rich tie a Wizard who uses Star MAgic in.

Star MAgic rocks.

Lord
2007-10-30, 06:23 AM
My big idea is...

Be warned, for once you go down the, reverse everything, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Actaully I think it would be a good idea. Just don't make all the sorceresses old woman in robes. People are a deverse lot and you should reflect that. Example: Maybe there could be an old woman sorceress who despises another sorceress who follows the cliche'.