PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Piecemeal armor

EisenKreutzer
2020-03-03, 12:16 PM
Has anyone written a guide for the piecemeal armor system from Ultimate Combat?
I am considering using it for an upcoming Dark Sun campaign, but I’m unsure how abusable it is, or if it puts players at a disadvantage.

Is it overall a good system?

upho
2020-03-03, 04:06 PM
The system doesn't result in much mechanical differences in comparison to not using it, really. It just slightly increases customization possibilities. In general it's unlikely to be noticeable beyond what can already be done via for example armor mods, magic armor special abilities and special materials. So far, the most "cheesy" thing I've found it to allow for is combining the arms from a chain coat with other preferred armor pieces, presumably allowing you to wield spiked chains one-handed (for which there are other options anyways). I think you can safely allow the system without fear of any weird unwanted effects. As a comparison, something like weapon mods can have vastly greater impact, despite the few options (I'm looking at you, Monk Versatile Design guns and Ascetic Style...)

Piecemeal armor does allow for what is otherwise pure flavor to have a bit of a mechanical impact though, which is never bad as an option IMO.

Crow_Nightfeath
2020-03-03, 04:07 PM
Well it's a more or less good system I use it a lot, I think it's a great thing to use if you want to build your armor up slowly, or if you don't like using every piece of an armor set, like a gladiator wearing just arm armor and leg armor.
Though it is almost too easy to make armors better than in the core book. Like scale arms and legs and the plate chest piece has a +9 armor bonus and a max dex of +3, and costs 220 gp.

EisenKreutzer
2020-03-03, 04:18 PM
Well it's a more or less good system I use it a lot, I think it's a great thing to use if you want to build your armor up slowly, or if you don't like using every piece of an armor set, like a gladiator wearing just arm armor and leg armor.
Though it is almost too easy to make armors better than in the core book. Like scale arms and legs and the plate chest piece has a +9 armor bonus and a max dex of +3, and costs 220 gp.

Yeah, that wont be a problem, metal is insanely expensive in Dark Sun.

unseenmage
2020-03-05, 11:24 AM
PF tech is basically magic items, but they're non magic. This usually doesnt matter as the bonuses are still typed but I'm unsure if theres an exploitable angle with piecemeal armor or not.

With typed bonuses, the pricing being identical, and special materials following the same rules.. I'm leaning towards not exploitable.

Maybe Golem Armor could be less suck as an armor piece? But I doubt it.