PDA

View Full Version : Armor Mage Fighting Style (5E)

BigB
2020-03-03, 04:01 PM
Okay, so a quick explanation on what an Armor Mage is. If you've seen the anime Fairy Tail, basically Erza Scarlet. If you haven't seen Fairy Tail, an Armor Mage is a Fighter who has access to a magical sub-dimension where they can store armors and weapons. Due to the magical nature of the sub-dimension they can switch between their stored weapons and armors in a flash using an ability called Requip.
When I first started on this project, I was going to make Armor Mage a full on Character Class, but ended up with a regular Fighter with an extra ability. Then I tried to make it into a Fighter Subclass, but ended up with basically an Eldritch Knight with the Armor Mage's Requip ability instead of the Eldritch Knight's Weapon Bond. Then a DM friend of mine suggested making it a seperate fighting style and when I rewrote Armor Mage as a fighting style, it sort of clicked for me.

Armor Mage
You can magically change your equipment around. You get one Armor slot per Fighter Level +1 and two Weapon/Shield slots for every Fighter Level. Changing your equipment while in combat is a Standard Action, at Level … this becomes a Bonus Action. (You can change weapons and armor in one single action.)
Adding a new armor to an empty slot requires you to put on the armor and meditate for half an hour, linking it to the magical dimension where you store them. Adding a weapon/shield to an empty slot requires ten minutes of meditation while holding the weapon/shield).

Thoughts?

nickl_2000
2020-03-03, 11:47 PM
Abilities aside, this looks more like a feat than a fighting style. There is just to much going on for a fighting style

Garfunion
2020-03-04, 03:06 PM
This to me seems like more of a warlock or paladin archetype. And the weapons and armor that you summon are spells.

I would make it a paladin archetype given that the character and Fairytale gives off that kind of order and charisma.

You can re-flavor some of the smite spells as summoning in a weapon that does a unique attack. Perhaps re-flavor the paladin auras as armor and/or give them armor like spells as bonus spells.

Side note; How many magic weapons and armor are you actually getting in your game? Is your DM that generous?