PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder different XP charts for different character class (ala previous d&d editions)

Abzalon
2020-03-04, 07:49 AM
Hello every one,

I was thinking about balancing casters vs non casters and stumbled on the XP charts in PF and I was wondering what would happen with using different charts depending on the character class (yes I know it's been done before, but I didn't play 2nd ed, so I don't know how it felt ingame).

For example (if using the tiers of classes):

Tiers 5-6 fast progression
Tiers 3-4 medium progression
Tiers 1-2 slow progression

Another difference would be the level of spells the class could acquire :

none : Fast progression
lvl 4-6 : medium progression
lvl 9 (and the summoner) : slow progression

that would allow the unfavored class to progress more rapidly while the world breaking one would be slower.

That is just and idea and I didn't get the chance to try it in game.

The main problems I see with it are :
- multiclassing (unlike 2nd Ed, you don't require X xp to get a level in Y class)
- what about archetypes that profoundly change a class
- what to do for the faster progression once they hit level 20 (which they would twice as fast as the wizard or priest)

Anyway, what do you think about this, would it "solve" anything or just provide another flavour to the game?

Kelb_Panthera
2020-03-04, 07:52 AM
Definitely won't solve anything. You're not the first to have this idea. It comes down to the fact that no matter how good you are at swinging a sword, you're not bending reality with it.

Psyren
2020-03-04, 09:30 PM
It's also annoying for groups that don't use XP.

If a gentleman's agreement doesn't work, just ban the classes that are causing trouble, and replace them with thematically similar T3 and T4 classes instead. Like instead of a sorcerer, go for an Eldritch Scion Magus or a Magician Bard or something; instead of a wizard, use a Staff Magus or Tome Eater Occultist etc. You can alternatively use a different magic system entirely like spheres.

Thurbane
2020-03-05, 03:38 PM
This idea gets shot down everyone time someone brings it up, but my advice is this: give it a try, and see if it works for your group.

I might be biased since I started in the 1E days. :smalltongue:

Aotrs Commander
2020-03-05, 04:03 PM
I think the fundemental problem is that you can't Maths the class progressions because you just really can't points-value them or anything (since aside from the basic chassis, the boundary conditions are insanely wide).

So levelling progression is already an arbitatary process on what levels up when, but with a single progression, it means that at each level, you can some broad idea of what sort of balance-point to aim for. With different XP tracks, you merely compound this issue by creating more stuff to try and balance against each other, rather than just one.

RNightstalker
2020-03-05, 04:56 PM
I could personally see it working as I started in basically a hybrid of 1/2e. But with the other comments, it will depend on the group. It will also require a little extra work on the DM's part, as before long you'll have a 14th level fighter in the same group as a 7/8th level full caster and that's going to make the XP award system go a little haywire.

Elkad
2020-03-06, 03:40 PM
Probably would be easier to just slow down spell progression.

Rebuild the tables so a full caster gets a new spell level every 3 character levels, instead of every 2.
Keep the standard progression going for other stuff. (BAB, saves, etc)
Then move "epic levels" to start at 30 or something.

9ths would come online at 25th level.