PDA

View Full Version : 6 monsters

Chauncymancer
2020-03-04, 01:33 PM
So I've got six monsters that I'm working on as part of an upcoming adventure for levels 3-5.
The first two monsters (the crystal ones) are expected to appear in groups of up to eight (the claw) and groups of two (the commander), but normally my assumption is that 1 commander or up to 4 claws will be paired with Animated Armors, having the AA's act as tanks and blockers while they use short ranged support actions.
The plant monsters are all assumed to appear in groups of 3-6. They're meant to mix and match pretty much interchangeably with each other, with the Spiky and Tentacle versions using their respective push and pull abilities to clump adventurers up around the Poison Petal and Bark Skin versions.
As always PEACH, especially if you can think of better names than Spiky and Tentacle.
Crystalline Claw
HP 4d4+2 (18)
AC 12
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
3 14 14 5 5 14

Damage Immunities poison, psychic
Condition Immunities blinded, charmed, deafened, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned

This automaton, less than a foot tall, is made of spun glass and fine soft metals. It's center is a glowing bruise-purple crystal the size of a fist, perched on three spier-like legs.

Antimagic Susceptibility: The Crystalline Claw is incapacitated while in the area of an antimagic field. If targeted by dispel magic, the Crystalline Claw must succeed on a Constitution saving throw against the caster’s spell save DC or fall unconscious for 1 minute.

Energizing Bolt: Target Construct within 30 ft heals 5 HP and takes a turn immediately, even if it has already acted this turn. This does not consume the Constructs turn. Crystalline Claws may not be targeted with this ability.

Arcing Bolt: +4 Ranged Magical Attack. The Crystalline Claw charges with infernal power, giving off arcs of bruise-purple energy. At the beginning of it's next turn, it targets one non-Construct within 30 ft. On a hit, that target takes 5 necrotic damage and the Crystalline Claw makes another Arcing Bolt attack against another non-construct within 30 ft of the first target. The Crystalline Claw may continue to attack until it has no valid targets or misses. No one creature may be targeted twice by the same Crystalline Claw in the same turn.
Crystal Commander
HP (60)
AC 18
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
22 15 18 5 10 18
Damage Immunities:poison, psychic
Condition Immunities:blinded, charmed, deafened, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
Sword Strike: +7 2d6+6
Multiattack: The Crystal Commander makes two attacks with its sword.

This Construct appears to be a suit of ornate and highly ranked, albeit dated armor. There is a large purple crystal underneath it’s helmet, glowing. Similar crystals are visible at all of the armor’s joints and on the backs of its gauntlets.

Antimagic Susceptibility: The Crystal Commander is incapacitated while in the area of an antimagic field. If targeted by dispel magic, the Crystal Commander must succeed on a Constitution saving throw against the caster’s spell save DC or fall unconscious for 1 minute.

Commanding Bolt: Up to two target Constructs within 30 ft either make their next attack with advantage or make a saving throw now to end an ongoing effect. Constructs that have failed their save against dispel magic awaken immediately.

Usurping Bolt: +4 Ranged Magical Attack. The Crystal Commander charges with infernal power, giving off arcs of bruise-purple energy. At the beginning of it's next turn, it targets one non-Construct within 30 ft. That creature takes 2d6 Necrotic damage and must make a DC 16 Wisdom Save. On a failure, the target makes one attack against a target of the Commander’s choice.

Poison Petal Plant
HP 36
AC 14
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
10 10 15 5 5 5
Damage Immunities: poison, psychic
Condition Immunities:blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, poisoned
Damage Vulnerabilities: Fire
Slam Attack: +3 3d6

This creature is a rotund shrub with a thick trunk. It’s bark and branches are dotted all over with sickly green-white flower buds, some of unusually large size for a flower.

Toxic Burst: The Poison Petal’s buds swell, a green miasma leaking out from their folds. At the beginning of the Poison Petal’s next turn, each adjacent creature must make a DC 14 Con Save or take 2d8 Poison damage. Creatures damaged this way are poisoned until they begin their turn somewhere other than adjacent to the Poison Petal.

Inflammable Cloud: If the Poison Petal or any adjacent creature takes fire damage on the same turn as the Toxic Burst, the Poison Petal and each adjacent creature take 5 Fire damage.

Spiky Plant
HP 41
AC 14
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
16 10 15 5 5 5
Damage Immunities:poison, psychic
Damage Resistances: Piercing
Damage Vulnerability: Fire
Spiked Slam +5 2d6+3 Piercing
Multi attack: The spikey plant attacks twice

This creature is a thin-branched mass of thorns up to six inches long.

Hedge of Spikes: With a flex of its body, the thorns of the Spiky Plant jut out in all directions. All adjacent creatures are pushed back five feet, and must make a DC 12 Dex save or take 2d6 Piercing damage.
Tentacle Plant
HP 41
AC 14
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
16 14 15 5 5 5
Damage Resistances: Fire
Damage Vulnerabilities: Slashing
Tentacle Shot: +4 Reach Bludgeoning Attack 1d6+2 (Within 30 feet)

This plant is a mass of entangled vines curled into a rough ball. It throws itself forward by twisting the vines of its underside.

Grab: A creature hit by the Tentacle Shot must make a DC 16 Str save or take 2d6+3 Bludgeoning damage and gain the grappled condition. The Tentacle Plant may immediately move them up to 15’ toward itself, and may move them 15’ toward itself each round.
The Tentacle Plant may grab more than one creature at a time. The DC to beat the Tentacle Plant’s grapple is 15.
Bark-Skinned Defender
HP 50
AC 14
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
18 10 16 5 5 5
Damage Resistances: Non-Magical Slashing, Fire
Damage Vulnerabilities: Piercing and Bludgeoning
Slam: +6 melee attack 1d6+4 Bludgeoning
Multi Attack: The Bark-Skinned Defender may attack twice each round.

This creature is a squat, thick limbed creature made of heavy bark.

Two Fisted Slam: The Bark-Skinned Defender raises both fists high above its head. The first attack the Bark-Skinned Defender makes next turn has advantage. On a hit, that attack instead deals 2d6+4 Bludgeoning damage. The target creature, and adjacent creatures of the Bark-Skinned Defender’s choice must make DC 12 Str saves or fall prone.

JNAProductions
2020-03-04, 01:44 PM
If you'd like, I made a preset formatting for monsters, just to make your text look better. Find it here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=23702757&postcount=18).

sandmote
2020-03-04, 03:56 PM
So I've got six monsters that I'm working on as part of an upcoming adventure for levels 3-5.
The first two monsters (the crystal ones) are expected to appear in groups of up to eight (the claw) and groups of two (the commander), but normally my assumption is that 1 commander or up to 4 claws will be paired with Animated Armors, having the AA's act as tanks and blockers while they use short ranged support actions. I don't have Xanathar's in front of me, but if you have it check the table of CRs for how groups of monsters match a PC by level. Based on the below 4 claws are meant to be worth 1 AA, and each Crystal Commander is worth multiple of them.

Energizing Bolt: Target Construct within 30 ft heals 5 HP and takes a turn immediately, even if it has already acted this turn. This does not consume the Constructs turn. Crystalline Claws may not be targeted with this ability.

Arcing Bolt: +4 Ranged Magical Attack. The Crystalline Claw charges with infernal power, giving off arcs of bruise-purple energy. At the beginning of it's next turn, it targets one non-Construct within 30 ft. On a hit, that target takes 5 necrotic damage and the Crystalline Claw makes another Arcing Bolt attack against another non-construct within 30 ft of the first target. The Crystalline Claw may continue to attack until it has no valid targets or misses. No one creature may be targeted twice by the same Crystalline Claw in the same turn. Oof are these concerning. If you have multiple claws, this comes out to "heal all remaining claws to full and then their strongest construct ally makes an attack," and it can be done every time any claw takes a turn. Ether strip it out, or break it into two actions; one heals and the other's target " can immediately move up to its speed and make one attack during your turn," or something similar.

For arcing bolt, maybe allow it to be used as a bonus action when it hits? Just so you can't get lucky rolls and down the entire party with one claw. There's a reason chaos bolt is a spell with a low chance of bouncing even when it hits and is mainly used by PCs.

Net CR; 1/2 at two attacks and without giving healing and a turn with one action. Technically indefinite as written.

Crystal Commander looks okay at around CR 3

Toxic Burst: The Poison Petal’s buds swell, a green miasma leaking out from their folds. At the beginning of the Poison Petal’s next turn, each adjacent creature must make a DC 14 Con Save or take 2d8 Poison damage. Creatures damaged this way are poisoned until they begin their turn somewhere other than adjacent to the Poison Petal.

Inflammable Cloud: If the Poison Petal or any adjacent creature takes fire damage on the same turn as the Toxic Burst, the Poison Petal and each adjacent creature take 5 Fire damage. I make dragon breath attacks work similarly, although without needing to spend an action. I'd maybe add an otherwise very weak (1d4) grappling attack, so its less dependent on allies to corral the PCs into place. If it isn't using that attack for an attack of opportunity, PCs still have two rounds to escape.

CR 1-ish, technically.

Spiky Plant
Spiked Slam +5 2d6+3 Piercing
Multi attack: The spikey plant attacks twice

This creature is a thin-branched mass of thorns up to six inches long.

Hedge of Spikes: With a flex of its body, the thorns of the Spiky Plant jut out in all directions. All adjacent creatures are pushed back five feet, and must make a DC 12 Dex save or take 2d6 Piercing damage. This has way too much damage output for the sturdiness. Either increase AC, or drop Str to 14 and reduce the damage from spiked slam by 1d6.

CR: average of 1/4 defensive and 3 offensive, which is extreme. CR 2 with 18 AC, and CR 1 with the Str and damage reduction.

Tentacle Plant
Grab: A creature hit by the Tentacle Shot must make a DC 16 Str save or take 2d6+3 Bludgeoning damage and gain the grappled condition. The Tentacle Plant may immediately move them up to 15’ toward itself, and may move them 15’ toward itself each round.
The Tentacle Plant may grab more than one creature at a time. The DC to beat the Tentacle Plant’s grapple is 15. Hmm, I'd maybe have this function in the manner of a Giant Octopus' tentacles.

CR 1 for this and Bark-Skinned Defender

Chauncymancer
2020-03-04, 09:29 PM
Oof are these concerning. If you have multiple claws, this comes out to "heal all remaining claws to full and then their strongest construct ally makes an attack," and it can be done every time any claw takes a turn. Ether strip it out, or break it into two actions; one heals and the other's target " can immediately move up to its speed and make one attack during your turn," or something similar.

This has way too much damage output for the sturdiness. Either increase AC, or drop Str to 14 and reduce the damage from spiked slam by 1d6.

CR: average of 1/4 defensive and 3 offensive, which is extreme. CR 2 with 18 AC, and CR 1 with the Str and damage reduction.

For the Spiky Plant I decided to go with the CR reduction.

For the Crystalline Claws, I think I actually need to rewrite the ability for readability. "Crystalline Claws may not be targeted with this ability" is meant to parse as "Crystalline Claw may not target itself, or any other Crystalline Claw with this ability." Do you think that's a better way to phrase it?

sandmote
2020-03-05, 12:15 AM
For the Spiky Plant I decided to go with the CR reduction.

For the Crystalline Claws, I think I actually need to rewrite the ability for readability. "Crystalline Claws may not be targeted with this ability" is meant to parse as "Crystalline Claw may not target itself, or any other Crystalline Claw with this ability." Do you think that's a better way to phrase it?

I missed that line entirely and apologize. Not as remotely broken, although I still don't like the sound of healing and extra actions from a single action by the Claw.

D&D_Fan
2020-03-05, 10:51 AM
Spiky Plant new names: The Bristlebush, Daggerleaf Plant.

Tentacle Plant new names: Octopus Flower, Squidroot.

Hopefully this helps.:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: