PDA

View Full Version : Joining an ongoing campaign (Level 6 Archer character advice needed)

Nosta
2020-03-04, 03:40 PM
So a friend of mine had a falling out with half his group and had ask me to join so there will at least be three members. Its a home game there currently level 6 and for party members I'll have a elemental monk And a Rogue 2 / Wild sorcerer 4 . I am looking to play an elf of some sort and be a combination of ranger and rogue. I want good variety of skills and some decent damage along with other goodies

CheddarChampion
2020-03-04, 04:03 PM
Well for level 6 a Ranger 5/Rogue 1 would be good. You get extra attack, 2nd level spells, sneak attack, and expertise.
Be a Wood Elf, starting stats of 10/17/14/10/14/10. At Ranger 4 pick up Elven Accuracy (XGtE, +1 Dex) or Sharpshooter. Take the other when possible and take +2 Dex afterwards.
Archery fighting style, obviously.

I'd go for +7 levels of Rogue afterwards. You'll get cunning action, more sneak attack, more expertise, uncanny dodge, evasion, and two more ASI's.

For subclasses I'd go with Gloomstalker or Hunter for ranger and Scout for rogue. Note that if you go with Scout you'll want to have expertise in skills other than Nature and Survival since Scout only gives those two and doesn't help if you already have expertise. If you really want these skills then start as a Ranger 1/Scout 5 and build for Ranger 5/Rogue 8

Daphne
2020-03-04, 04:20 PM
I'd recommend going straight Scout 6, a lot of skills and decent damage, while having a similar flavor to the Ranger.

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-04, 04:21 PM
It's pretty hard to go wrong.

Fighter -> Battlemaster will net you a lot of control, which can be useful for the setups that your team might be capable of. It's best as an archer build, but it serves as a melee liner nearly as well.
Fighter -> Arcane Archer will let you invest into Intelligence, which your party may be lacking in.
Fighter -> Champion is decent if you're not experienced and want something straightforward.

Rogue -> Arcane Tricker is similar to the Arcane Archer, except that it focuses on more noncombat elements, if that's your schtick
Rogue -> Inquisitive makes an excellent sniper, since you can gain your Sneak Attack just by looking at someone really hard. Heavy emphasis on non-combat elements.
Rogue -> Scout makes you incredibly mobile and impossible to pin down, but possibly better as a mid-range character (good for throwing weapons).

Ranger -> Hunter is basically a slightly different Battlemaster that's better at traveling.
Ranger -> Gloomstalker is a good assassin-type character that deals a lot of damage quickly.

Really, it's hard to go wrong. If you want max combat effectiveness, Battlemaster Fighter with Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter is an incredibly powerful build, as you can knock enemies prone with your first attack, then headshot them with Advantage from melee range. Execution-style.

Personally, I like combining Battlemaster with Rogue for an incredibly versatile character, but it all depends on what your priorities are.

RogueJK
2020-03-04, 04:33 PM
How about a DEX-based archer/ranger/healer/buffer/scout/thief, like a Gloomstalker Ranger5/Nature Cleric 1?

You can still be Rogueish without any Rogue levels. Just take proficiencies like Stealth, Perception, and Investigation from Ranger, and then pick a Background like Urchin that gets you Thieves Tools, Sleight of Hand, and Acrobatics* (*subbed for Stealth since you already have that).

That'll still allow you to be sneaky and rogueish, and still allow you to focus on being an archer, while also shoring up your party's lack of a Cleric by having a party buff like Bless running while you snipe from afar, plus acting as the party healer.

Point buy sample build would be something like:

Wood Elf Gloom Stalker 5/Nature Cleric 1
STR 8
DEX 15+2
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 15+1
CHA 8

4th level ASI: Elven Accuracy +1 DEX
Class Skills: Stealth, Perception, Investigation, Nature* (*from Nature domain)
Background Skills (Urchin): Thieves Tools, Sleight of Hand, Acrobatics

Spell Slots: 4/2
1st Level Ranger Spells Known: Absorb Elements, Hunter's Mark, *Disguise Self
2nd Level Ranger Spells Known: Pass Without Trace, Lesser Restoration, *Rope Trick
1st Level Cleric Spells Prepared: Bless, Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Detect Magic, *Animal Friendship, *Speak With Animals
Cleric Cantrips: Guidance, Mending, Toll the Dead, *Mold Earth

Take the Archery Fighting Style. Wear light armor and use a longbow. Concentrate on Hunter's Mark when you want more damage. Concentrate on Bless when you want you and your party to hit more often, and make more saving throws. (The latter should be more common than the former.)

From here, I'd go up to Cleric 8 for Channel Divinity, higher level Cleric spells, two ASIs, the Dampen Elements ability, and eventually Divine Strike for extra bow damage. You've already gotten basically everything worth getting from Ranger in the first 5 levels.

Keravath
2020-03-04, 05:37 PM
How about a DEX-based archer/ranger/healer/buffer/scout/thief, like a Gloomstalker Ranger5/Nature Cleric 1?

You can still be Rogueish without any Rogue levels. Just take proficiencies like Stealth, Perception, and Investigation from Ranger, and then pick a Background like Urchin that gets you Thieves Tools, Sleight of Hand, and Acrobatics* (*subbed for Stealth since you already have that).

That'll still allow you to be sneaky and rogueish, and still allow you to focus on being an archer, while also shoring up your party's lack of a Cleric by having a party buff like Bless running while you snipe from afar, plus acting as the party healer.

Point buy sample build would be something like:

Wood Elf Gloom Stalker 5/Nature Cleric 1
STR 8
DEX 15+2
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 15+1
CHA 8

4th level ASI: Elven Accuracy +1 DEX
Class Skills: Stealth, Perception, Investigation, Nature* (*from Nature domain)
Background Skills (Urchin): Thieves Tools, Sleight of Hand, Acrobatics

Spell Slots: 4/2
1st Level Ranger Spells Known: Absorb Elements, Hunter's Mark, *Disguise Self
2nd Level Ranger Spells Known: Pass Without Trace, Lesser Restoration, *Rope Trick
1st Level Cleric Spells Prepared: Bless, Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Detect Magic, *Animal Friendship, *Speak With Animals
Cleric Cantrips: Guidance, Mending, Toll the Dead, *Mold Earth

Take the Archery Fighting Style. Wear light armor and use a longbow. Concentrate on Hunter's Mark when you want more damage. Concentrate on Bless when you want you and your party to hit more often, and make more saving throws. (The latter should be more common than the former.)

From here, I'd go up to Cleric 8 for Channel Divinity, higher level Cleric spells, two ASIs, the Dampen Elements ability, and eventually Divine Strike for extra bow damage. You've already gotten basically everything worth getting from Ranger in the first 5 levels.

Actually, life cleric makes a good combination since you get both enhanced goodberries and enhanced healing spirit. This would give the party lots of backup healing which could be very useful. You could then take rogue levels after this if you want the sneak attack and expertise.

FirstAgeMagic
2020-03-04, 07:53 PM
Rouge 1/Ranger 5 (Gloom Stalker) then take Rogue the rest of the way picking up the Assassin Subclass. Pick up Sharpshooter if allowed and just go for a straight up Glass Cannon.

Sigreid
2020-03-04, 07:56 PM
For an Archer character be sure to womanizer, giggle at inappropriate times, camm people a D holster and count not only your ammo, but everyone's
. 😜

Natteregn
2020-03-06, 08:48 AM
I would go for.. what is fun for you to play?
Liek what kind of character do you want to be, and then add all the different class from there!

RogueJK
2020-03-06, 09:06 AM
Actually, life cleric makes a good combination since you get both enhanced goodberries and enhanced healing spirit. This would give the party lots of backup healing which could be very useful. You could then take rogue levels after this if you want the sneak attack and expertise.

I agree the Life Cleric is more useful 1 level dip than Nature Cleric. So that route makes more sense if you only ever plan to take 1 level of Cleric, and plan to continue on with Rogue levels from there, with something like a Gloomstalker 5/Life Cleric 1/Scout Rogue X.

But Nature Cleric is a better option if you plan to stick with Cleric levels. Its 6th and especially 8th level abilities are more useful to a martial archer character like this. Plus it potentially fits better with the "Sneaky Nature-y Ranger Priest" theme.

In addition, if you're taking Life Cleric to maximize Goodberry and Healing Spirit, it limits what else you can do with your very limited Ranger spells known. While those two are excellent choices if you want to focus primarily on healing, those represent 50% of your Ranger spells known (4 spell picks at 5th level plus two static Gloomstalker extras), and remove the possibility of taking the arguably more useful Absorb Elements, Pass Without Trace, and/or Lesser Restoration. (Hunter's Mark is basically a requirement for a Ranger, to help keep up with their damage, which is why they made it a Class Feature in UA instead of just a spell.) Whereas you can have Healing Word and Cure Wounds as two of your Cleric prepared spells, allowing you to still provide some healing while leaving your Ranger spells more open.

Demonslayer666
2020-03-06, 10:16 AM
For an Archer character be sure to womanizer, giggle at inappropriate times, camm people a D holster and count not only your ammo, but everyone's
. 😜

Ok, that took me way to long to get.

Name dropper.

HiveStriker
2020-03-10, 01:40 PM
So a friend of mine had a falling out with half his group and had ask me to join so there will at least be three members. Its a home game there currently level 6 and for party members I'll have a elemental monk And a Rogue 2 / Wild sorcerer 4 . I am looking to play an elf of some sort and be a combination of ranger and rogue. I want good variety of skills and some decent damage along with other goodies
Hey ;)
Well, if you really want multiclass, the obvious "usual best" is Ranger 5 / Rogue 1: that way you already get 1st level spells, 2nd level spells, as well as a small boost in damage per turn and one skill Expertise (+ one extra skill).

With that said, depending on your choice of Ranger archetype (and possibly Rogue archetype if you wish to go deeper later), I'd suggest sticking pure Ranger or instead mix&match.

For example, if you go Horizon Walker AND are interested by Haste, then I'd strongly suggest staying Ranger.
If you go Hunter Ranger, 5 is fine, you could even start with only 4 and instead get Rogue 2 because you count on Break the Horde's extra attack to compensate until next level.
If you go Gloomstalker, 5 is fine, you get the "first round" goodies + Rope Trick.

Honestly though?
If you really want lots of skills AND are ok with the RP implications of following suggestion, drop Rogue idea and instead get Knowledge Cleric 2. "Proficient in any skill for 10 mn every short rest" is very hard to beat and if you go Gloomstalker you can even use Rope Trick to ease in at least one short rest every day.

If you're more concerned about damage AND are aiming for the long run, get two levels of Tempest Cleric instead.
After Ranger 5 / Tempest 2, you can either go straight up to Ranger 9 to enjoy maximized Lightning Arrow, or get a 3rd level in Tempest to use Channel Divinity on occasional Shatter.

If you prefer the Ranger / Rogue though, I'll strongly suggest...
a) For a versatile character, Horizon Walker with Arcane Trickster, 5/3 then either 9/3 or 6/6 then either 9/11 (Reliable Talent) or 11/9 (teleport + Magical Ambush) or 13/7 (best spells + Evasion). Why?
- HW's level 3 making next attack only force damage pairs great with Sneak Attack in ensuring that whatever happens you have maximum efficiency in dealt damage against 99% of enemies. It's only 30 feet though, so not as often usable at range than in melee. Unless you use a crossbow and stick to medium range. :)
You'll be a true demon in melee though if push comes to shove: Booming Blade + Sneak Attack as force damage will definitely hurt. :)
- Yout get Misty Step at level 5 which is great in many situations on one side, defensive spells and great cantrips on the other (Shield, Mage Hand).
- From there you can either push for level 3 spells as Ranger (all are great + Haste), or for Evasion + Shadow Blade/Mirror Image and Magical Ambush.

b) For a pure Ranged, max level ~10: Hunter Ranger 8|9 / Rogue 1|2|3 (Cunning Action only if you feel you need it, push to Inquisitive for the neat "bonus action Insight check to allow Sneak Attack at range without advantage or ally").
Hunter brings solid offense and defense boost, and you'll want spell level progression to use spells like Hunter's Mark or Ensnaring Strike more liberally.
For a pure Ranged, max level 15+: Gloomstalker Ranger 14++: Ranger brings simply too much to ignore at every level, you'd better dip into Tempest Cleric for the maximized Call Lightning later, or maybe Fighter for Action Surge and some manoeuvers.

Sigreid
2020-03-11, 08:25 AM
Ok, that took me way to long to get.

Name dropper.

I'm sure the phone encouraged typos helped.