PDA

View Full Version : Collection of TO Tricks

StevenC21
2020-03-04, 06:03 PM
Does such a thing exist?

Especially one for a collection of tricks a Wizard can pull off. I often see forum members referring to such tricks in minimal detail, and while I am not new to the game, I don't have the sheer breadth of knowledge that some of you have.

Ex. Somehow you can use Spell Engine in a single round. Not cast it, literally re-prep your whole list in 1 round.

Anyways yeah. Just hoping for a resource to "get good" with, as a basis before I start trying to find my own stuff.

satorian
2020-03-04, 07:13 PM
Google Treatmonk's Guide to Wizards. He has one for 3.5, Pathfinder, and 5e, that I know of.

SirNibbles
2020-03-04, 07:16 PM
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?258580-Famous-optimized-character-builds

side note:

Great Modthulhu: And with this thread finally reaching well over 50 pages, I think it's time for it to come to an end.

Further posting of abs and shirtless men should go to the Dungeons and Dreamboats thread as appropriate, since they have no bearing on the merits of a wizard vs. sorcerer matchup. Please do not start a second thread on this unless there is going to be substantive discussion as a result.

__

Sheriff: I've removed most of the posts from this thread. Please don't respond to threads from this recurring banned poster. It serves absolutely no purpose except to encourage him. His threads just get dumped and his repeated accounts banned. I've left this one visible in hopes that people will see it and be able to spot and avoid participating in future threads of this nature. Please just report him and otherwise ignore him and his threads.

__

Sheriff: Discussion of banned posters is a prohibited topic. Please just report such posters when they return and try not to engage or encourage them. Thanks

StevenC21
2020-03-04, 07:30 PM
Thank you SirNibbles! I will admit, my heart skipped a beat when I saw the red text: I had thought *my* post had received special moderation attention...

Gruftzwerg
2020-03-05, 01:45 AM
my most mentionable TO trick so far was BoBaFeat (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?503665).
With a clone loop and a special ability, you give yourself unlimited amounts of temporary feats (which can be refreshed into infinity) and thus can become on par with pun-pun, which is the top of TO.

(my other builds are less magical oriented optimization builds. but if you like mundane dmg optimization have a look)

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-03-05, 01:50 AM
This thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?177889-Brainstorm-for-Psionic-Tricks-Tactics-and-Combos-Handbook) is psionics specific, and the first post is only the collection of tricks and tactics to that point; the whole rest of the thread is packed full of more.

StevenC21
2020-03-05, 01:51 AM
That's fantastic! I love psionics. It's my favorite subsystem save true spellcasting.

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-03-05, 04:29 AM
The Symbiotic Creature template is the flavor of cheese I'm most familiar with, so here's some of the tricks I've pulled or considered:

First of all, the template gets broken real fast, especially since Savage Species makes clear that it can be applied to any two creatures without a level adjustment and will give the combination a level adjustment of precisely +1. Load up on feats, class features, skill bonuses, powers from being a monster, whatever you want; almost everything the guest had except actual HD the host gets for just +1 LA. Any reasonable DM is going to Rule Zero that right out the window, but there're still plenty of tricks you can pull without it.

Human Heritage (RoD) is great for making things qualified (seriously, this opens so many doors), but it also resets the combination to type Humanoid (human), making it qualify for the template again. The Siege Tower is a build in my signature that exploited this to get two kobolds grafted onto an anthropomorphic giant viper. The looser you get with "human descended" the more powerful the feat gets for this; the furthest I would probably go is undead that were human-descended while alive.

I'm pretty sure the combined creature has all the limbs of its constituents, so load up and take Multiweapon Fighting (or just get multi-handed weapons for absurd multiples of Str to damage). If your DM rules against getting extra limbs by default, they still explicitly get any natural weapons, which if they're a claw that can also wield weapons (e.g. variant Kobold) or they have the Prehensile Tail feat the combined creature can still use the limb for weapons. The Siege Tower exploited this to being throwing 22 daggers a turn by ECL 8.

All the guests feats are granted as bonus feats, which (I think) means the combined creature doesn't have to qualify for them anymore.

Swarms make good guests if you don't mind terrible mental stats, because they count as pretty small but come with a lot of weird and powerful traits (most notably, immunity to anything that has a limited number of targets). Combine Dread Blossom Swarm with the Frozen Berserker and Blazing Berserker feats to be effectively unkillable while raging (can't be targeted, oodles of immunities, immune to lethal damage, harmlessly disperse when you run out of nonlethal damage and safely reform an hour later); if you can swing something like Anthropomorphic Wolverine/Badger or Were-Wolverine/Badger, you go into a rage automatically until your opponent is dead whenever you take damage, with no daily limit on uses (this is the premise of my Futility build in my sig). And aesthetically, any symbiotic creature that includes a swarm is going to look cool as hell. Note that the swarm is the mind and personality of the combined creature, which is also cool.

Based on the Monster Manuals, it looks like all class features are either special attacks or special qualities. Therefore the combined creature inherits all the class features of the guest(s). This is another DM-fiat magnet.

The combined creature gets the skill points of the guest as a flat, typeless bonus to the same skills (or was it a racial bonus? Doesn't really matter because racial bonuses stack). I haven't come up with any brilliant ideas for fully taking advantage of that yet, but something cool could probably be done with iaijutsu focus, knowledge skills + Knowledge Devotion, sleight of hand, and of course any contested skills (social, perception, stealth). Oh, and profession (sailor) in a naval campaign. Actually, the fluff that would lead to profession (sailor) sounds really cool, perhaps some sort of ancestor spirit or malevolent possessor lending their experience?

Afghanistan
2020-03-05, 04:57 PM
Google Treatmonk's Guide to Wizards. He has one for 3.5, Pathfinder, and 5e, that I know of.

Totally unrelated to 3.5, but Treantmonk also has a Youtube Channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7N1om5-7UemjK_stlAuTw) where he goes over some metagame concepts for 5e.

SirNibbles
2020-03-05, 08:47 PM
I might as well toss my own creation into the ring: The Centipede Monk.

Summary: You get 100 hands, all of which can hold and use weapons or make Unarmed Strikes.

The Fangshields Druid 5th level substitution grants the user the Wild Shape Hands (Su) ability:

"Wild Shape Hands (Su): At 5th level, a Fangshields druid can use her wild shape ability to create simple dexterous hands if she doesn’t have them already. For example, a giant eagle, lammasu, or unicorn could use wild shape to change her feet, paws, or hooves into hands that work as well as human hands. These hands lose any natural attacks they previously possessed, but otherwise still function like their original shape (a unicorn could walk or run at normal speed on her hoof-hands, for example). She can make this change whenever she uses her wild shape, even when she assumes another form. For example, a unicorn druid could take the form of a wolf with functional paw-hands. This benefit is in addition to the standard druid’s wild shape ability."
- Champions of Valor, page 41

Thus, when wild shaping, the Druid can choose to replace the legs of a centipede with human hands which "work as well as human hands."

Taking both Child of Winter (Eberron Campaign Setting, page 51) and Vermin Shape (Eberron Campaign Setting, page 62) allows you to Wild Shape into Vermin for Monstrous Centipede as early as 5th level. You can also Wild Shape into a Vermin through other methods, such as a Vestment of Verminshape (Dungeon Master's Guide II, page 273)- this is just one that comes online early enough for E6.

This is really just a starting point- from here you can go a lot of ways with this build.