PDA

View Full Version : Favored enemy and friends ...

schreier
2020-03-04, 07:32 PM
I got into a discussion with a friend while making a ranger. Do you have an enmity towards all members of your favored enemy or do you just know then well? As far as I know, there is no rule against taking your own race (for example, humanoid (human) while human).

What if you take the flaw hatred, which gives you penalties for fighting enemies other than your favored enemy when a favored enemy is in range? Would you hate yourself and your friends? Or is it only those that are your identified enemies in action as opposed to race?

One Step Two
2020-03-04, 08:02 PM
You can take Favoured Enemy (human) as a human, experienced as a bounty hunter, specializing in bringing humans to justice. However, if you did take the Hated flaw, yeah I think that penalty would basically apply at all times if you traveled with other humans, but not to yourself. As, unless I am wrong, I don't think you can engage yourself in combat. I do find the Hatred flaw weird in general, since you take a -4 to hit penalty when you're not engaged in Melee combat with your favoured enemy, which means that it's super bad to take if you want to play a ranged hunter.

Thurbane
2020-03-04, 10:17 PM
In 3.0 only evil rangers could select their own race a FE, but that rule was dropped in 3.5.

The Viscount
2020-03-04, 10:44 PM
The PHB, though not voluminous, describes favored enemy with the language "Due to his extensive study on his chosen type of foe and training in the proper techniques for combating such creatures[...]" so as said it's about training and experience, not about hatred. Useful for this contrast is Foe Hunter, which is about hatred.

You'd be able to use the Hatred flaw without mechanical problems since enemy is a defined game term like ally. You and your party are all considered allies since you're on the same side. You might have some friction roleplay-wise if your character hates the race of one or more of the party members, especially if they picked their own race. It could certainly make for some interesting stories if the party is down for it, though.