PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Crystal humanoid race

KittenMagician
2020-03-04, 07:52 PM
i had this idea for a race that is made out of crystal (almost like crystal golems). i dont have a name for it yet but i have abilities thought out

ASI: +1 to each of Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma

Size: Medium

Speed: 30

Alignment: Tends towards true neutral

Languages: Common (i was thinking maybe primordial but not sure)

Fragile Body: Vulnerability to bludgeoning, piercing, slashing, and thunder damage.

Natural Refraction: Invulnerability to fire, lightning, cold, radiant, necrotic, force, acid, and psychic.

Crystalline Constitution: Invulnerability to poison damage. Immunity to disease and the poison status.

Spell Reflection: When you succeed a saving throw against a spell with you as the only target, you may use your reaction to have the caster suffer the effects of the spell as if you cast it. The new target must succeed a saving throw against the spell with the same DC. If the spell requires concentration, you have to maintain that concentration.

thanks for your time and any ideas or pointers or suggestions about this race.

MagneticKitty
2020-03-04, 08:19 PM
Pc races don't get vulnerability or immunity to damage types for a reason.. I think most tables would object to this alone. Poison might be the only exception (warforged) I can think of.
Using normal races as a template I would choose a single resistance. If you can't pick just one make a table like draconic ancestor or tie them to subraces.
Spell turning is also something most will say no to.
I can break it into point value but I don't feel it's necessary

JNAProductions
2020-03-04, 08:25 PM
Seconding Kitty.

This is either brutally weak (hit with its vulnerabilities a lot) or brutally OP (spells for days).

Also doesn’t feel very thematic.

D&D_Fan
2020-03-05, 02:17 PM
Name idea: Formatiok
Inspired by formation eg. crystal formation.:smalltongue:
I threw in the K because krystallos in greek.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-03-07, 12:50 PM
ASI as stated

Does not need to eat sleep or breathe. Must still engage in light or no activity for a rest.

Immune to poison condition and damage.

Resistant to Radiant, Fire, Cold, and Necrotic Damage.

Vulnerable to Thunder and Bludgeoning Damage.

The Crystal people are believed to be sentient shards of the Crystal Sphere created when battles between gods and primordials brushed against that barrier between their realm and the Phlogiston.

Their language Zatia (zaysheeah) is a lyrical one prone to natural rhyming with grammar concerned more with meter than with order of concepts.

MReav
2020-03-08, 05:01 PM
There is a sapient crystal species already called the Shardminds, you might look to those for some inspiration (I know, 4E)