PDA

View Full Version : Magical Whip

zinycor
2020-03-05, 01:22 AM
I want to know your opinion on this magical whip:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X91-CKrsF9scgbqclZEPV7V1bgM_bLYD3OUHkf-l0PM/edit?usp=drivesdk

Is it overpowered? Underpowered? Absolutely incredible? Absolute dog****? What do you think?

Grey Watcher
2020-03-05, 09:42 AM

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X91-CKrsF9scgbqclZEPV7V1bgM_bLYD3OUHkf-l0PM/edit?usp=drivesdk

Is it overpowered? Underpowered? Absolutely incredible? Absolute dog****? What do you think?

Not the best about balance, but two things jump out at me:

The range and damage of Thorn Whip render the base weapon pretty meaningless. Apart from the very, very rare case of a creature who has resistance/immunity to piercing but not slashing (or the even more rare vulnerable to slashing but not piercing). I can't think of a reason to use this as a whip. The sole exception I can think of is if you happen to have Extra Attack, where I guess it's a question of quantity vs. quality.
If you aren't a spellcaster of any kind (Champion Fighter, for example), what do you use to determine spell attack/DC?

JNAProductions
2020-03-05, 11:14 AM
It feels fine. Echoing the issues Grey Watcher had, but honestly, an uncommon item granting a single cantrip doesn't feel OP at all.

Damon_Tor
2020-03-06, 11:12 PM

Underwhelming. Any given character will either have other cantrips they prefer or won't have a casting stat worth a damn, and even if they do their attack action is likely to be a better choice anyway. I feel like you would be better off giving the whip a 15 foot reach and letting the user force a DC 13 strength check on a target he hits to pull them 15 feet towards him. Maybe give it 8 charges and have 1d8 recharge each dawn for some balance.

Wrath Of Grapes
2020-03-08, 11:17 AM
Underwhelming, it basically gives a cantrip to use and provides a means to penetrate resistance to magical weapons but they might as well be separate items.

Keep in mind who you are intending the item for, if it is for a fighter or rogue you might have the ability work of dexterity or strength. Rather than a spell attack it would be a weapon attack. Up to 1/round and 3 charges, recharging at dawn.

Damage 1d6 piercing + dexterity / strength etc.

For a caster it might be different so it might be good to have them use their spellcasting ability for the cantrip and increase it with their level or otherwise use it as a whip with 1d6 piercing damage with dexterity /strength / or spellcasting ability if you feel generous (magical weapon attack)

MrStabby
2020-03-08, 12:04 PM
Uncommon seems about right.

Might be worth it for a cleric who has one attack, a paucity of cantrips using attack rolls to benefit from advantage (should it be available) and has spirit guardians to pull people into. Especially true if you get a bonus to cantrip damage.

Else... well I guess it's still a magic weapon for bypassing DR.

Of interest is that it needs martial weapon proficiency to attack with it but not to use the cantrip.