PDA

View Full Version : Ice Axe -- and similar spells

RubyChaslor
2020-03-05, 08:59 AM
I'm looking for a ton of spells similar to the one referenced below (EDIT: Ice Axe from SpC, removed for non-OGL reasons) as an example, where you cast a spell and make a nifty weapon that you use for the duration of the spell. Preferably, ones that deal elemental damage like the one below, but any and all would be appreciated!

Aegis013
2020-03-05, 09:07 AM
Thunderlance in the spell compendium fits the bill. Gives you a 20 ft reach melee weapon for a few rounds.

PraxisVetli
2020-03-05, 09:18 AM
Also in Spell Compendium is Fire Shuriken.

heavyfuel
2020-03-05, 09:33 AM
Scmitar of Sand from (you guessed it) Sandstorm
Flame Dagger from SpC

The Viscount
2020-03-05, 09:40 AM
Blade of Pain and Fear (SpC)
Scimitar of Sand (Sandstorm)
Whip of Thorns (Champions of Ruin)
Prismatic Bow (CMage)

The really neat part about fire shuriken is that the spell is instantaneous, so you can use your second level slots to stockpile shuriken or give them to your friends. The rogue will love you!

Gruftzwerg
2020-03-05, 09:42 AM
How about Clawlocks (Eldritch Claws feat) and Glaivelocks (Eldritch Glaive blast shape)?
The Clawlock (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?518880)gives your real claws while the Glaivelock (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?607457-The-Hellfire-Escalation-Glaivelock-A-Killer-Kobold-Build) works with a weapon-like spell like Ice Axe.

Gauntlet
2020-03-05, 09:42 AM
Darkfire and Produce Flame also effectively do this, although for a ranged weapon rather than a melee one.

Unavenger
2020-03-05, 10:11 AM
Arcane Maul (Secrets of Sarlona) and Flame Blade (PHB) also make weapons.

Rebel7284
2020-03-05, 10:16 AM
Darkfire can be either melee or ranged.

Moon Blade has not been mentioned yet and is fun to use against spellcasters.

RubyChaslor
2020-03-05, 10:43 AM
Darkfire can be either melee or ranged.

Moon Blade has not been mentioned yet and is fun to use against spellcasters.

I really love Moon Blade because I think its nifty, I just wish I could augment it with some more damage. x3

Segev
2020-03-05, 05:36 PM
Blade of Pain and Fear is in Spell Compendium. I think it's also in Libris Mortis.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2020-03-05, 06:30 PM
Complete Arcane has Lightning Blade and Force Whip, I think maybe more.

Saintheart
2020-03-05, 10:40 PM
Decastave, FRCS. Creates a quarterstaff made of force, hits for 1d6 on melee touch attack, has the thundering quality.

PhantasyPen
2020-03-05, 10:52 PM
No mention of the OG Flame Blade(PHB)?

Rebel7284
2020-03-05, 10:54 PM
Arcane Maul (Secrets of Sarlona) and Flame Blade (PHB) also make weapons.

No mention of the OG Flame Blade(PHB)?

Unavenger mentioned it.

animewatcha
2020-03-06, 12:36 AM
Few questions regarding some of these spells.

Fire Shuriken: You create these with a duration of instantaneous. Description seems to ( using dndtools ) not say anything about them disappearing unless they are thrown. So could you legally 'load up' on fire shurikens over the course of days using appropriate spell slots?

Arcane maul: If a creature is within the 50 ft line AND the 20 foot burst ( like say right close to impact point ), do they take dmg twice and have to save twice?

Darkfire: Multiple ranged attacks so long as bab allows?

I really love Moon Blade because I think its nifty, I just wish I could augment it with some more damage. x3

Duskblade/moon-domain cleric dip with versatile spellcaster? Using duskblade slots to create moonblade ( at 1 minute/level long enough time per encounter and duskblade has slots to blow ). Should be combinable with things like Power Attack, arcane strike, knowledge devo, Duskblade's arcane channeling, etc.

The Viscount
2020-03-06, 01:01 AM
I'd recommend you edit your post to remove reference to any sites which post non-OGL content, the forum's kind of a stickler for that.

The spell compendium version specifies it doesn't damage your possessions when you throw it, which is why I said you'd be able to stockpile. Your DM may require you to have a fireproof container. A bag of holding would probably do, since the vacuum would prevent fire.

Due to the wording of arcane maul I'm inclined to say no for getting damaged twice, but I don't feel very confident about it.

For darkfire, just like produce flame, the line "No sooner do you hurl the flames than a new set appears in your hand" and the lack of anything saying "once per round" means you can attack as many times as BA permits.

Saintheart
2020-03-06, 01:22 AM
Duskblade/moon-domain cleric dip with versatile spellcaster? Using duskblade slots to create moonblade ( at 1 minute/level long enough time per encounter and duskblade has slots to blow ). Should be combinable with things like Power Attack, arcane strike, knowledge devo, Duskblade's arcane channeling, etc.

It's Moon 3, so more than a dip into cleric. It's a 0 feet range spell, so it's therefore Persistable, and better yet, DMM Persistable. Completely compatible with CoDzilla.

It's also compatible with Power Attack. You don't get STR bonus to damage, but Power Attack doesn't actually use STR at all; it just nerfs your attack roll (which you can afford because it hits as a melee touch attack) and adds directly to damage. Double, if your DM is kind enough to deem it a one-handed weapon (as it seems to be) held in two hands.

Also compatible - and very handy - for critfisher builds. Improved Critical applies to it because that feat requires proficiency with a weapon and BAB 8, which every cleric has once they pick up Divine Power. Indeed most ToB stances, maneuvers and feats keyed to particular weapons - e.g. Shadow Blade, which adds your DEX to damage when using a short sword, thus getting nicely around the "no STR bonus" prohibition - should work with it, because "you can wield the beam as if it were any type of sword and thus gain the benefits of any special sword skill you might have, such as Weapon Focus." Which is horribly bad wording, but in essence, any weapon-specific feats you got which could apply to a sword, you get to apply to the Moon Blade.

EDIT: Also - because it says any special sword skill you might have applies to do, Iaijutsu Focus likely applies as well!

PraxisVetli
2020-03-11, 10:53 AM
How do these spells interact with Spell Resistance? Many of them have it, being Evocation and all. Does the SR apply if you were to try and cast it on an ally, or does it mean you have to overcome a creature's SR in order to deal damage, on top of hitting their AC?

Thunder999
2020-03-11, 11:46 AM
Since most of these spells don't target the wielder, I think spell resistance works like any other ongoing damage effect, check once on the first attack, if it fails to beat SR they won't take damage from that casting.

Segev
2020-03-11, 03:48 PM
How do these spells interact with Spell Resistance? Many of them have it, being Evocation and all. Does the SR apply if you were to try and cast it on an ally, or does it mean you have to overcome a creature's SR in order to deal damage, on top of hitting their AC?
Does ice axe actually say "Spell Resistance: Yes?" That's bizarre!

Yeah, it'd be something you check whenever you target a creature with it. Once, the first time, anyway; they don't roll it every time you swing at them.

radthemad4
2020-03-11, 11:12 PM
Summon Monster used for Battleoths (Dragon #306)?

PraxisVetli
2020-03-12, 11:09 AM
Since most of these spells don't target the wielder, I think spell resistance works like any other ongoing damage effect, check once on the first attack, if it fails to beat SR they won't take damage from that casting.

Does ice axe actually say "Spell Resistance: Yes?" That's bizarre!

Yeah, it'd be something you check whenever you target a creature with it. Once, the first time, anyway; they don't roll it every time you swing at them.

So then on the first hit, you roll to overcome the SR, and if successful, well and good, but if it fails, the creature is effectively immune to the weapon conjured by the spell, at least for that duration?

Segev
2020-03-12, 11:37 AM
So then on the first hit, you roll to overcome the SR, and if successful, well and good, but if it fails, the creature is effectively immune to the weapon conjured by the spell, at least for that duration?

Well, for that casting. You could cast a new one to force a new SR check well before the first one's duration was over.

But yeah, that is how SR works, unless I'm grossly mistaken.

Is Ice Axe doing cold damage, slashing damage, or both? Because if it's doing any slashing damage, I'd house rule the SR to only apply to the cold damage, personally.

PraxisVetli
2020-03-12, 01:31 PM
Well, for that casting. You could cast a new one to force a new SR check well before the first one's duration was over.

But yeah, that is how SR works, unless I'm grossly mistaken.

Is Ice Axe doing cold damage, slashing damage, or both? Because if it's doing any slashing damage, I'd house rule the SR to only apply to the cold damage, personally.

Just cold and no STR, either.
That's crazy, how that works. A lot of tables I've played at just ignored Spell Resistance, so I've never encountered this rule interaction before.
Really makes those spells kinda sub-optimal, huh? Don't pick fights with any golems!

Segev
2020-03-12, 03:24 PM
Just cold and no STR, either.
That's crazy, how that works. A lot of tables I've played at just ignored Spell Resistance, so I've never encountered this rule interaction before.
Really makes those spells kinda sub-optimal, huh? Don't pick fights with any golems!

Well, golems are traditionally extremely hard to fight with magic.

And if it's just cold...sure, the axe isn't cutting anyway, so the cold it's doing is resisted by magic resistance just fine.

Creatures with SR are notoriously hard to deal with with magic. It's why they have SR.

Troacctid
2020-03-12, 03:45 PM
Whips are apparently very popular for this kind of effect: we have dragonmark whip and dragonmark whip, greater (Dra); flame whips, force whip, and sonic whip (SpC); mystic lash (PGtF); psychic whip (SoS); and whip of thorns. And that's not including lash of force (CM), which is whip-like, but not wielded as a weapon.

Thunder999
2020-03-12, 05:45 PM
SR really isn't that big a deal outside of magic immunity, you're meant to just find a way to boost your caster level check and punch right through.

Nezkrul
2020-03-13, 12:00 AM
Already mentioned but my favorite of all these is thunderlance; SR: No ftw

Segev
2020-03-13, 10:43 AM
Already mentioned but my favorite of all these is thunderlance; SR: No ftw

It's a very nice spell.