PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other 3.5 new disease (silly)

Debihuman
2020-03-05, 10:55 AM
Skittlespox
"Taste the rainbow"

TYPE disease, ingested, SAVE Fortitude DC 12
ONSET 1d10 minutes, FREQUENCY 1/day (3 days)

Effect: Target takes 1d4 Cha damage, gains the Delicious Flaw (See Dragon Magazine 330, pg. 87), and has 10d4 skittles on it face.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6_cj35ZMnk

DracoDei
2020-03-05, 03:06 PM
Wiki-like cross-indexing:
Thread that developed into much more than its initial post or title would suggest:Candy Land (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?97038-3-5-Need-candy-versios-of-powers-spells-and-some-monsters-locations-for-quot-Candy-Land-quot&p=5820544) (Might have actually been the inspiration since Debihuman posted on that thread.)
Semi-Elemental(sic) Plane of Candy campaign I ran: The Christian Furry Fellowship Campaign (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7392298)

Skittlespox
"Taste the rainbow"

TYPE disease, ingested, SAVE Fortitude DC 12
ONSET 1d10 minutes, FREQUENCY 1/day (3 days)

Effect: Target takes 1d4 Cha damage, gains the Delicious Flaw (See Dragon Magazine 330, pg. 87), and has 10d4 skittles on it face.

Okay, I think you may be falling short of your own standards, my friendly nemesis...

Your subject line says 3.5, but the mechanics appear to be Pathfinder. Was this intentional?

Are the skittles half-embedded in the face (making the visual effect more like chicken pox, or merely stuck on the face? How firmly*? Do they return to their original number each day the save is failed, or add +10d4 each such day? If a save on a later day is made, is the Flaw removed?

Is a heal check required to remove the skittles without injury?

*Just "someone licked them and let them dry while in contact with the skin" firmness? Sovereign Glue level?
On a more "me" rather than "Are you sure you aren't feeling under the weather IRL ma'am?" level:
Are the skittles on the face actually embedded, making the visual effect more like chicken-pox?

Is this usually/only found in skittles that have been maliciously created and/or enchanted (via Contagion) with it?

Or maybe it is the result of bad manufacturing processes, much bad moonshine or the specific sort of (poisonous?) mildew known to grow on peanuts that renders them illegal to use for any foodstuff other than peanut oil (the processing for that removes the danger)?

Or maybe the skittles in the face fall out (leaving scarring if they were picked at, as with Chickenpox) as recovery happens (and perhaps on a continuously during the course of the disease with new ones replacing the old, making the 10d4 a number that might require re-rolling periodically) and transmission is only via these shed Skittle (A DIFFERENT reason not to go all "Oo! Piece of candy!...Oo! Piece of candy!" if you find a trail of candy on the ground).

If only found in skittles, how many constitute exposure, and do multiple saves have to be made if a multiple of this number are consumed in a single sitting (I would assume so, if only to avoid any abiguity about what a "sitting" is)?
Again, assuming it is Skittles-centric, does it remain virallent if baked whole into cookies? What about diced very finely and sprinkled on icecream (naturally putting them on whole would be a vector for the disease)? What about if combined with something that it wouldn't normally be culinarnarily, such as disolved into wine, or chopped and sprinkled on steak?

Debihuman
2020-03-05, 04:24 PM
you are waaay overthinking this.

Skittles are on the face not embedded as per the goofy commercial from whence this came. No Heal check is needed to remove the Skittles -- they're CANDY.

1. I may have confused the Pathfinder and 3.5 mechanics. They're close enough that it doesn't really matter.

2. You can use Skittles any way you want. I doubt they'd be good in cookies though. I'm much more of a chocolate chip fan.

3. eww. Why would PCs lick each other's faces?

4. I'm sad that you think I'm your nemesis, no matter how friendly.

DracoDei
2020-03-05, 05:14 PM
you are waaay overthinking this.

I tend to find overthinking entertaining.

Skittles are on the face not embedded as per the goofy commercial from whence this came. No Heal check is needed to remove the Skittles -- they're CANDY.

Ah! Then a lot of the problem may be that I haven't seen the commercial. MAYBE consider providing additional details for those who haven't, or to keep this more usable after it fades from the collective consciousness (although the reference is probably at least half the point).

1. I may have confused the Pathfinder and 3.5 mechanics. They're close enough that it doesn't really matter.

Okay.

2. You can use Skittles any way you want. I doubt they'd be good in cookies though. I'm much more of a chocolate chip fan.

Yes, but what uses risk spreading the disease?

3. eww. Why would PCs lick each other's faces?

I just meant that if, say, a 5 year-old, wanted to stick skittles to their own face, they would probably lick and then apply... although since the interiors are sticky, just squishing them on might do the trick.

That said, PCs do some pretty outrageous stuff...

4. I'm sad that you think I'm your nemesis, no matter how friendly.
I mean it very fondly and as a compliment. I've used the term with you before, but perhaps the context was unclear in this case.

My experience with your comments on my work was that you LIKED it, but tended to want all the fiddly little details needed for official publication. For instance, you said that a supernatural ability to tell when dawn occurs, even thousands of feet below ground, that would cause the constituent chickens of a golem made out of chickens (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?t=228448) should not be listed as a Special Quality unless it had some additional effect.

So your comments were productive, and encouraging of my overall idea-smithing, but a bit of a goad for me to do better in certain regards. Sometimes it even ended up seeming to be a competing good with my desire to create highly novel experiences for the players (and GM) and have any fluff strongly emulated in even fairly fine details by the crunch*.
*A minor example would be my Sinister Spinal Cords (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15003778&postcount=18) paralysis causing limpness (and thus dropping prone usually) rather than stiffening. A more bold one would be what ended up as the "Director's Cut" (probably because you convinced me that the original was too complicated) of the DR for the Chicken Golem I mentioned above.

Debihuman
2020-03-09, 09:12 AM
If you make a special ability it has to have a game mechanic or it should not be a special ability but description. And making creatures easy to use is always better. Just my humble opinion.

You get Skittlespox from eating Skittles. I would imagine licking them would also transmit the disease.

I just kinda threw this together quickly because it was silly.