PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Paladin: Oath of the Song (Feedback wanted)

woodwalker
2020-03-05, 01:48 PM
Hello all! I worked up a new Oath for a Bard/Paladin I wanted to play called Oath of the Song. Main idea is a Paladin that's all about telling and creating stories worth hearing, whether its their own story or someone else's. So between the spells and other features, its a bit "buff allies and keep them going" while also "do cool stuff that people will want to talk about". Let me know what you think about the theme, my choices, and if I somehow have my balance out of whack somewhere. Thanks!

EDIT: Meant to mention, I used this guide to help build it: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/258551/CreateAnOath-A-Paladin-Oath-Creation-Guide

It was super helpful.

Oath of the Song

Paladins of the Song spend their lives telling stories and listening to new ones. They spread these legends and myths like seeds, using them to inspire others to greatness.

Tenets of the Song

Those who take the Oath of the Song swear to uphold the following tenets.

Spread the Word - Share your stories of heros and villains, love and loss, hope and despair in order to inspire the next great heros of the world.

Live the Legend - Be one who's exploits are worthy of the songs you sing and tales you tell.

Raise Their Spirits - When others are down and feeling lost, use your voice to encourage them back to the path they were meant to follow.

Oath Spells

You gain oath spells at the Paladin levels listed.

3rd Divine Favor, Guiding Bolt
5th Enthrall, Shatter
9th Beacon of Hope, Thunder Step
13th Death Ward, Fire Shield
17th Circle of Power,Wall of Light

Channel Divinity

When you take this Oath at 3rd Level you gain the following two Channel Divinity Options

Ringing Note - As an action, you sing or play out a single clear note. All creatures within 10 feet that can hear you must make a Wisdom saving throw against your Paladin spellcasting DC or be Stunned for one round.

Inspirational Song - You can use your Channel Divinity to give a single creature a bonus equal to your Charisma Modifier to their attack rolls for 1 minute.

Aura of Heroism

Starting at the 7th level you inspire those around you to action even in the face of great evil. You and allies within 10 feet of you cannot be frightened as long as you are conscious.

This ability increases to 30 feet at 18th level.

Keep Your Feet

Starting at 15th level you are always under the affect of the Resistance spell.

Harmonious Soul

At 20th level, as an action, you begin to thrum with a deep resonance that those around you can hear and feel. You gain the following benefits for 1 minute.

Enemy creatures that start their turn within 10 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failure, they become incapacitated for duration of your transformation.

On a successful attack, you deal 10 extra force damage.

Any ally within 30 feet when you enable this ability and are unconscious regain consciousness and gain 1 HP.

Any ally within 30 feet that is prone can stand up on their turn at a cost of only 5 feet of movement.

D&D_Fan
2020-03-05, 02:12 PM
The spell Motivational Speech is a really good fit for this class. it is 3rd level and in 5e. It is from Acquisitions Incorporated Handbook. It is literally just a motivational speech but it's magic. Still it would be cool for this class

Here is the official spell. It isn't homebrew.

Motivational Speech
3rd-level enchantment
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 60 feet
Components: V
Duration: 1 hour
You address allies, staff, or innocent bystanders to exhort and inspire them to greatness, whether they have anything to get excited about or not. Choose up to five creatures within range that can hear you. For the duration, each affected creature gains 5 temporary hit points and has advantage on Wisdom saving throws. If an affected creature is hit by an attack, it has advantage on the next attack roll it makes. Once an affected creature loses the temporary hit points granted by this spell, the spell ends for that creature.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the temporary hit points increase by 5 for each slot level above 3rd.

JNAProductions
2020-03-05, 02:31 PM
Oath Spells... Fine.

CD: Ringing Note, fine.
CD: Inspirational Song is not. It's Sacred Weapon, but better, since you can target allies and it doesn't require a weapon.

Aura Of Heroism, fine.

Keep Your Feet is not fine. Advantage on every save ever is way too damn good.

Harmonious Soul needs to allow a new save every round for the incapacitation. Otherwise fine.

woodwalker
2020-03-06, 09:29 AM
The spell Motivational Speech is a really good fit for this class. it is 3rd level and in 5e. It is from Acquisitions Incorporated Handbook. It is literally just a motivational speech but it's magic. Still it would be cool for this class

Here is the official spell. It isn't homebrew.

Motivational Speech
3rd-level enchantment
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 60 feet
Components: V
Duration: 1 hour
You address allies, staff, or innocent bystanders to exhort and inspire them to greatness, whether they have anything to get excited about or not. Choose up to five creatures within range that can hear you. For the duration, each affected creature gains 5 temporary hit points and has advantage on Wisdom saving throws. If an affected creature is hit by an attack, it has advantage on the next attack roll it makes. Once an affected creature loses the temporary hit points granted by this spell, the spell ends for that creature.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the temporary hit points increase by 5 for each slot level above 3rd.

Nice! I didn't come across that one while I was looking through spells, it fits nicer than Beacon of Hope I think. Man, thats pretty powerful for a 3rd level spell, its like a mini-Hero's Feast.

Oath Spells... Fine.

CD: Ringing Note, fine.
CD: Inspirational Song is not. It's Sacred Weapon, but better, since you can target allies and it doesn't require a weapon.

Aura Of Heroism, fine.

Keep Your Feet is not fine. Advantage on every save ever is way too damn good.

Harmonious Soul needs to allow a new save every round for the incapacitation. Otherwise fine.

For Inspirational song, maybe I make it 'weapon attacks' instead of all attacks.That essentially makes it SW that you can give to others, which fits the theme a bit.

Resistance doesn't grant Advantage, it gives you an additional 1d4 for saving throws, but yeah I get it.

It was also pointed out elsewhere that Aura of Heroism is the same as Aura of Courage which the Pally will get at level 10 anyways, so I'm going to change that up somehow.

Thanks for the feedback from both of you!

EDIT: Couple updates base on feedback here and elsewhere. Really not sure about the 7th level ability, but I'm putting it out there for feedback:

Aura of Heroism
Starting at 7th level, you and any freindly creatures within 30 feet of you at the start of their turn gain an extra 10 ft of movement.

Keep Your Feet
Starting at 15th level, as a reaction, you can give yourself or any creature within 30 feet of you an extra 1d4 on a saving throw.

JNAProductions
2020-03-06, 12:11 PM
Modified Keep Your Feet is fine.

Inspirational Song's issue wasn't that it applied to non-weapon attacks, it's that it can apply to an ally.