PDA

View Full Version : What is a Spelldancer to You?

Garfunion
2020-03-05, 06:37 PM
I currently looking at creating a Spelldancer. While I could approximate the theme of a Spelldancer by playing a Bard or maybe a Bladesinger, those still feel like melee weapon users and not close-quarter spell casters casting close-quarter-ish spells.

I’m currently working on an enhanced unarmed strike and un-armored paladin archetype to fit my view of a Spelldancer. The paladin’s unique smite spells do a good job with this.

So what is a Spelldancer to you?

PhantomSoul
2020-03-05, 06:49 PM
Is there a character or group of chatacters from fiction you're basing the idea of a Spelldancer on? I can't say I've ever used the term (though I've used spellsword and bladesinger and gish, and it sounds like it might be something along those lines you're asking about).

Garfunion
2020-03-05, 07:06 PM
Is there a character or group of chatacters from fiction you're basing the idea of a Spelldancer on? I can't say I've ever used the term (though I've used spellsword and bladesinger and gish, and it sounds like it might be something along those lines you're asking about).
It’s basically someone who cast melee-ish spells in melee combat but forgoes the use of an actual weapon.
It was a class in D&D 3.5/pathfinder and I did a Google search someone created a 5E version. But I think a subclass can be a better fit for it.

Quietus
2020-03-05, 07:13 PM
I would probably be using one of the spells that summons a weapon for basic attacks on this idea, like Shadow Blade (as a ribbon of shadow that flows with the dance and deals damage) and Flame Blade, while casting whatever other spells I intended to do. But I can't say I have ever actually considered what you're describing before right now, however.

sandmote
2020-03-05, 07:48 PM
The internet tells me Spelldancer is from Magic of Faerűn, a book from 3e. Can't find a description of the fluff though.

Mechanically, this sounds a bit like a monk/paladin multi-class. Other ideas based on the meager description.

Bard could get unarmored defense and Pally spells the way a Divine Soul gets Cleric ones. Trouble avoiding damage though.
Rogue who touches an enemy to deal sneak attack damage, changing the damage type and trading some damage for status effects? Not really a spellcaster...
Caster Monk spending ki to cast pally spells. Needs non-ki features.

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-05, 08:04 PM
It seems like the Four Elements monk would suit pretty well.

AvvyR
2020-03-05, 09:07 PM
It’s basically someone who cast melee-ish spells in melee combat but forgoes the use of an actual weapon.

They don't even really seem to be that. The 3.5 version is just a caster that does metamagic by dancing instead of increasing spell level, and has a couple dances that create spell-like effects.

The PF version uses arcane points and dances to create movement self buffs in place of its base class's ability to use that resource for attack buffs.

Both of them feature a good defensive package to their spellcasting base classes.

I think a Sorcerer subclass could easily be made for either. Snipe Dragon's always-on mage armor, and make a version of Shadow's "spend sorcery points to create spell effects" that gives movement buffs or the 3.5 version's sleep/confusion spell effects.

Garfunion
2020-03-05, 11:37 PM
It seems like the Four Elements monk would suit pretty well.
I’m not looking for a punching class but I know I need unarmed strike to facilitate the use of the paladin’s smite spells. This provides the semblance of melee spell casting. I’ll probably have a channel divinity dancing feature that some what mimic Bladesong and Zephyr Strike spell.

I think a Sorcerer subclass could easily be made for either. Snipe Dragon's always-on mage armor, and make a version of Shadow's "spend sorcery points to create spell effects" that gives movement buffs or the 3.5 version's sleep/confusion spell effects.
I thought about the sorcerer but, the sorcerer like the Bladesinger (funny enough, I think the bladesinger makes a better arcane archer build) would still sit back and cast ranged spells. By choosing a class that is already melee focused, I can set up its abilities more easily.

AvvyR
2020-03-06, 01:48 AM
I thought about the sorcerer but, the sorcerer like the Bladesinger (funny enough, I think the bladesinger makes a better arcane archer build) would still sit back and cast ranged spells. By choosing a class that is already melee focused, I can set up its abilities more easily.

Well, bladesingers can't use any bow other than a hand xbow, but that's outside the scope of this thread.

I'm just not seeing the original class as being super melee focused really. The 3.5 version gets proficiency with simple weapons and... nothing else that helps in melee outside the defensive package. It's even 1/3 BaB. PF's is based on the Magnus class, which is gishy, with casting and weapons, and the ability to deliver spells through weapon attacks. The archetype loses some of its melee ability over base Magnus by trading weapon damage buffs for mobility buffs.

What exactly are you trying to get the build to do? Because it doesn't seem in line with the original classes.

LudicSavant
2020-03-06, 02:01 AM

A lame prestige class from 3.5e.

That said, if what you want is a caster that hangs out in melee range but doesn't actually use melee weapons, there's plenty of good ways to build that as is. One of the Wizards I'm playing right now fits that description. Have been playing that one for about 10 levels now; she often switches in for the Fighter and just casts spells point-blank while being really hard to hit or damage. As for the "dancing to cast spells" bit that's just a way of flavoring your somatic components.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-06, 03:55 AM
I currently looking at creating a Spelldancer. While I could approximate the theme of a Spelldancer by playing a Bard or maybe a Bladesinger, those still feel like melee weapon users and not close-quarter spell casters casting close-quarter-ish spells.

I’m currently working on an enhanced unarmed strike and un-armored paladin archetype to fit my view of a Spelldancer. The paladin’s unique smite spells do a good job with this.

AT Rogue would be my spell dancer.

*Tangos invisibly*

Garfunion
2020-03-08, 12:11 PM
What exactly are you trying to get the build to do? Because it doesn't seem in line with the original classes.

While I understand that the Spelldancer of old isn’t what I’m designing now, the theme is similar enough. A spellcaster who moves(dance) around the battlefield; casting spells and has incentive to remain in melee combat. The bladesinger doesn’t have incentive to remain in melee combat except for their 14th level ability.

I choose the paladin as the base class because they have incentives to remain close to their allies (auras have 10ft reach until level 18) and stay in melee combat (smite spells).

As I continue to discuss it with me, myself, and I it is starting to look like i maybe able to create a “Spelldancer” with a feat;

Mudras
Flavor text
•You may use your charisma modifier instead of your strength modifier for the attack and damage rolls of unarmed strikes
• While wearing no armor or wielding a weapon or shield your AC equal 10 + your charisma modifier + your dexterity modifier.
• If you use your charisma modifier on an attack roll, you may use your reaction to move 10 feet, this movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.

This powerful feat sums up what I’m looking for as features (+paladin smite spells) of the Spelldancer.

Quietus
2020-03-08, 02:26 PM
While I understand that the Spelldancer of old isn’t what I’m designing now, the theme is similar enough. A spellcaster who moves(dance) around the battlefield; casting spells and has incentive to remain in melee combat. The bladesinger doesn’t have incentive to remain in melee combat except for their 14th level ability.

I choose the paladin as the base class because they have incentives to remain close to their allies (auras have 10ft reach until level 18) and stay in melee combat (smite spells).

As I continue to discuss it with me, myself, and I it is starting to look like i maybe able to create a “Spelldancer” with a feat;

Mudras
Flavor text
•You may use your charisma modifier instead of your strength modifier for the attack and damage rolls of unarmed strikes
• While wearing no armor or wielding a weapon or shield your AC equal 10 + your charisma modifier + your dexterity modifier.
• If you use your charisma modifier on an attack roll, you may use your reaction to move 10 feet, this movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.

This powerful feat sums up what I’m looking for as features (+paladin smite spells) of the Spelldancer.

Honestly, this sounds pretty close to a mix of Hexblade (pact of the blade, with the ruling you can pick your unarmed strikes/Mage armor for AC 13+dex) and Swords bard or Spellsinger (+10 foot movement, additional benefits).