PDA

View Full Version : Spiked Chain as a Monk Weapon

fallensavior
2020-03-05, 06:51 PM
Is there a feat, ACF, etc that lets a monk flurry with a Spiked Chain?

I thought there was, but I can't find it. Maybe I imagine it?

schreier
2020-03-05, 07:09 PM
https://forums.giantitp.com/archive/index.php/t-274908.html

In Dragon 319, they have meteor hammer and rope dart -- similar to spiked chain, with 15' reach while attacking adjacent as well ... qualify as monk weapons, but are exotic (I would take 1 level in fighter, with "exoticist" variant)

Thurbane
2020-03-05, 07:11 PM
There's a few feats and ACFs to add extra Monk weapons, but none specifically for spiked chain that I know of...

Unorthodox Flurry (DC) allows you to treat one light weapon as a special Monk weapon, so maybe with a Feycraft spiked chain or similar?

Double Steel Strike (ECS) allows you to treat a two-bladed sword as a special monk weapon: maybe could be combined with a Warblade's weapon aptitude, or a weapon with the aptitude quality?

schreier
2020-03-05, 07:17 PM
Rope Dart: A rope dart consists of a spike or piercing blade attached to a 20-foot length of rope. Propelled by precise strikes from the hands, feet, elbows, and knees, combined with intricate coiling of the rope around every part of the body, the rope dart can stab at opponents from every direction and angle at incredible speed.
A rope dart has a long reach, so you can strike opponents 15 feet away with it. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, it can be used against an adjacent foe. Because the rope dart can wrap around an enemy's leg or other limb, you can make trip attacks with it. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the rope dart to avoid being tripped.
When using a rope dart, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an opponent (including the roll to avoid being disarmed if such an attempt falls). You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a rope dart sized for you, even though it isn't a light weapon for you.
Monks are not automatically proficient with the rope dart, but If they take the feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency (rope dart), they can use the rope dart when making attacks with their flurry of blows ability.
A variation of the rope dart called the meteor hammer exists, replacing the dart with a solid metal bail that does bludgeoning damage rather than piercing damage. A character proficient with the rope dart is proficient with the meteor hammer.
Dragon Magazine #: 319 (Warriors of the Animal Fist – Crouching Panther, Slashing Dragon)

fallensavior
2020-03-05, 07:29 PM
What I want to do is 2-weapon fight with a Spiked Chain and Unarmed Strike, utilizing Shadow Blade. So Rope Dart isn't going to do it. Though I suppose an Aptitude enchantment would let any weapon use Shadow Blade?

Unorthodox + Feycraft looks like it would work, but would mean not being able to use Power Attack.

D+1
2020-03-05, 07:39 PM
Rope Dart: A rope dart consists of a spike or piercing blade attached to a 20-foot length of rope. Propelled by precise strikes from the hands, feet, elbows, and knees, combined with intricate coiling of the rope around every part of the body, the rope dart can stab at opponents from every direction and angle at incredible speed.
A rope dart has a long reach, so you can strike opponents 15 feet away with it. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, it can be used against an adjacent foe. Because the rope dart can wrap around an enemy's leg or other limb, you can make trip attacks with it. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the rope dart to avoid being tripped.
When using a rope dart, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an opponent (including the roll to avoid being disarmed if such an attempt falls). You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a rope dart sized for you, even though it isn't a light weapon for you.
Monks are not automatically proficient with the rope dart, but If they take the feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency (rope dart), they can use the rope dart when making attacks with their flurry of blows ability.
A variation of the rope dart called the meteor hammer exists, replacing the dart with a solid metal bail that does bludgeoning damage rather than piercing damage. A character proficient with the rope dart is proficient with the meteor hammer.
Dragon Magazine #: 319 (Warriors of the Animal Fist – Crouching Panther, Slashing Dragon)
See also: Gogo Yubari, Kill Bill Vol.1

The Viscount
2020-03-05, 07:54 PM
It requires some investment, but 5 levels of Shou Disciple will let you use flurry of blows with any weapon.

Since aptitude weapon refers to feats for a particular weapon and Shadow Blade refers to multiple weapons, I'm not sure if the ability would work.

Gruftzwerg
2020-03-05, 10:03 PM
It requires some investment, but 5 levels of Shou Disciple will let you use flurry of blows with any weapon.

Since aptitude weapon refers to feats for a particular weapon and Shadow Blade refers to multiple weapons, I'm not sure if the ability would work.

I second this. But keep in mind that Shou Disciple hasn't been fully updated to 3.5. Most notably is the flurry progression. In 3.0 flurry was monk lvl1 ability that scaled with monk bab. In 3.5 you have several level steps of improvement that you don't get without monk level or prc explicitly stating that they progress flurry.
However, Shou Disciple states that you should add you Shou Disciple BAB to your monk BAB to determine your unarmed strike attack progression as a monk. This should be adapted into 3.5 with letting the level stack for the purpose of the flurry ability since this was the original intention. Talk to your DM.

Other than that, it's a great prc for monks. Furry anything, wear light armor and 2 bonus feats from a small combat related selection (incl. Weapon Specialization!). And all that in compact 5 lvls. Imho one of the better monk prc.

Saintheart
2020-03-05, 10:33 PM

That's where we get into the fact that WOTC were wobbly on their use of the word "type".

A wielder who has feats that affect the use of a particular type of weapon, such as Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, or the like, can apply the benefits of those feats to any weapon that has the aptitude quality. In addition, if any of the wielder's weapons use feats are specifically keyed to the aptitude weapon's type he gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls.

'Type' implies - or by dictionary definition, means - multiple entrants in a category. Worse still is that the SRD at least specifies that weapons are classified according to their type, i.e. bludgeoning, slashing or piercing. Weapon Focus et al. have a similar problem to Aptitude weapons: you get Weapon Focus in a type of weapon, but the rest of the feat says it applies to only one weapon. Generally, of course, and likely RAI, Weapon Focus is applied to only one weapon rather than the whole gamut of B/S/P weapons, but that's the rules for you.

If you take the use of the word 'type' to mean a particular weapon, then Shadow Blade refers to multiple types of weapon. Aptitude would apply to each. All it says is "feats that affect the use of a particular type of weapon". It doesn't say "feats that affect the use of one type (and only one type) of weapon."

Rebel7284
2020-03-06, 10:24 PM
Shou Disciple has already been mentioned as a fun class for this, but also, take a look at Cavestalker for the lolz.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-03-06, 10:43 PM
There are several feats around that allow you to use various weapons as monk weapons for flurrying and whatnot, such as Unorthodox Flurry (Dragon #279) and Flowing Blade (Dragonshards: Blades of the Quori). Combine one of those with the aptitude enhancement from ToB, and you're good to go.

Sian
2020-03-07, 05:09 AM
Unorthodox Flurry (DC) with a Kusari-Gama (DMG p144) which is basically a Light, Onehanded spiked chain that only reaches 10' but still also adjacent