PDA

View Full Version : Theorycrafting: Random Encounters as "mini-dungeons"

Segev
2020-03-06, 10:41 AM
A problem that is often brought up (and to which "use Gritty Realism" is a proposed, but oft-disputed, suggested solution) is the way exploration and overland travel interacts with the short-rest/long-rest system. The "typical adventuring day" expected by D&D 5e is 4-6 encounters, I believe, with 1-3 short rests. On average, you should see 2.5, I think encounters per short rest (sometimes as low as 1, but more often 3 and most often 2). This stresses the short-rest classes a bit to conserve resources, ensures the "endurance" classes who only need rests for hp purposes can shine, and is about right for long rest classes to feel the pinch after 1-2 short rests for the rest of the party if they're moderate but not hyperconservative in their expenditures.

But the typical "explore the wilderness" part of D&D 5e has very different expectations, if you look to the modules. I own Storm King's Thunder and Tomb of Annihilation. I'm actually running the latter. The exploration part is one of the richer parts of the game in the pacing, giving that old-school feel of expeditions out to sites of interest to explore and recover items of value, and find clues to the overarching mystery.

However, the pacing of encounters is practically codifying the 15-minute adventuring day. A short-rest class can nova in a single encounter and, if it goes on too long, feel the pinch long before a nova-ing long-rest class. Moreover, there's no sense that the CR is nearly as dangerous as its number indicates, because when everyone can nova, even the "endurance" classes feel overpowered, because their hp aren't in any real danger.

(There's room to argue that the PCs should be facing long-term struggles over food and such, but whether it's my fault for being too lenient or not, that's a non-issue for my party, with their ranger and their foraging and their smoking the meat of dinos and crocodiles they kill.)

Why do I say the encounter pacing is this way? Because the rules for determining random encounters in Tomb of Annihilation are to roll a d20 for morning, afternoon, and night, and if it comes up 15-20, roll up a random encounter.

ToA has some lovely ideas for one-off encounters (though with the sheer amount of jungle, repetition becomes an issue), but a lot of them are very short and either "avoid the fight" or "kill the things" and then it's done. I've been trying to roll up days of encounters ahead of time, and come up with ways of making "stories" out of them. Connecting them in some way, as a reflection of some underlying jungle geopolitics in a local sense. This helps keep it interesting, but it certainly doesn't stress the party.

Admission: the players express more fear than I think is warranted over the hazards of given encounters, and seem to think they've escaped by the skin of their teeth when they didn't even brush 0 hp and used powers with abandon because they knew they were unlikely to need them later. So...at least it FEELS risky, I guess?

Anyway, onto the idea: what if random encounters weren't single items, but were mini-dungeons? Either actual enclosures, or were designed such that, if you have an random encounter, you're going to have 2-4 encounters that day as it builds up and then climaxes in a mini-boss sort of deal.

It wouldn't even have to be every random encounter. Just enough that, when the singleton encounters show up, it's not a foregone conclusion that it's at most one of three encounters, each separated by a short rest. (And, more likely, is just the one encounter for the day.)

Then again, maybe that's just what rolling an encounter in more than one "time slot" per day is. Exploration is 0-3 encounters per day, with a short rest between each encounter and low likelihood of more than one encounter per day.

Sparky McDibben
2020-03-06, 10:58 AM
I like using the Angry GM's, overland travel system, which I find suits my needs, but I am very sympathetic to your issue.

I have three suggestions: the first is that one of the things that blew me away in ToA was how many exhaustion effects there are. There's so many diseases, endurance checks and other tropical shenanigans that it can feel very overwhelming. Players are risk averse as a rule; start layering on exhaustion and watch the pucker factor skyrocket.

Second, use Matt Colville's Action Oriented Monster design. This creates a monster who challenges a nova party, but doesn't overwhelm them. They're fun to build, too!

Finally, use a 1d6 system after every wilderness encounter to see if anything heard the noise and is coming to investigate. You might say, "On a 1, roll again on the random encounter table." This creates the possibility of wave-style random encounters, where the real danger of the encounter isn't the encounter itself, but rather alerting nearby foes to your presence. Or, you might say, "On a 1, roll again on the random encounter table. On a 2, someone's waterskin was damaged; mark off two gallons of water. On a 3, have a PC roll a Con save to avoid having their wounds infected. On a 4-6, nothing happens."

I will also say that if your players are feeling tense, implementing these systems might backfire, as your players stop exploring and instead turtle up, refusing to adventure without full resources. It's happened to me; just a word of advice! :)

carrdrivesyou
2020-03-06, 03:09 PM
There are numerous ways to determine whether or not random encounters occur or not, so just pick whichever is most immersive for the group. As for actual encounters...combative ones are super standard to the point of being overdone IMO.

Here are some ideas for you:

1. Abandoned house - PCs start looking for a place to camp, find an abandoned house. Inside could be anything from an ooze, a travelling merchant trying to set up a trading post, several friendly kobolds, or even an illegal gambling or drug den. Flavor to choice, but I suggest it set the tone for the campaign.

2. Merchant caravan - travelling the opposite way on the road and offer a few items not found in town; I use this one fairly frequently if one of the players happens to be looking for something specific. Not always just a "convenient store." Often times, they have to gamble it away from the merchant instead of buy it. Others deal only in trade.

3. Friendly Metallic juvenile dragon - Dragon boi is out looking for help locating a suitable place to make a new lair. PCs can help the friendly dragon find a new home nearby, suggest a place they have already cleared out or some such, and the dragon may or may not reward them. This one is a bit more RP heavy, as good dragons like to chat a lot.

4. Prankster encounter - Fey of some sort (I tend to use pseudodragons and pixies) play pranks on the party for a laugh. Maybe they follow them for a few days, make loud noises at night, or otherwise keep the characters on edge (this is useful for building innocent suspense during extended travel). End up being a little faerie making use of thaumaturgy to make it sound like a pack of wolves coming to eat the party. So after a week of no sleep, the party finally finds the annoying punk and demand retribution or somesuch. This one is a bit mean, but its fun to run.

5. Cultists - this seems very fighty, but not if done correctly. Effective use of the silence, sleep, and blindness spells can mean a party member can get kidnapped during the night, and not be able to wake someone else up. The rest of the party wakes up and finds that their friend is missing and a trail of broken tree limbs is easily seen. This will likely lead to a fight or a huge misunderstanding depending on the cult's motivations.

6. Witness to an event - PCs are travelling down a road and see a fight between a pair of angels, find a dead person, or a sword stuck in a rock being drawn by someone else. This doesn't always mean that the PCs will involve themselves (though they probably will), and can be a great way to set the tone of an adventure with clever use of foreshadowing.

Hope these help!

Segev
2020-03-06, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I might steal some of them.

The idea of an abandoned house is interesting. Not likely in Chult, but abandoned village, maybe. This is not a well-travelled land.

Part of the problem with combat encounters is the lack of anything the party has that most of the combat encounters want, save for food. I should have things go after their food stores more, now that I think about it.

Can you tell me more about these "action-oriented monsters?" I'm not familiar with the source at all.

Sparky McDibben
2020-03-06, 04:07 PM
It's from a video on Matt Colville's YouTube channel. A quick Google should find the video, but basically the goal is to pick a regular monster (his video uses an ankheg and a goblin boss as fully fleshed out examples) and give them three action/bonus actions, at least one reaction, and legendary actions. He refers to them as villain actions, but they're basically the same thing.

Where his approach differs from "just give your monster legendary actions" is that he sets them up to fire on Round 1, 2, and 3, respectively. I've made my own and turned a harpy into a memorable fight for three 5th level PCs.

Segev
2020-03-07, 11:21 AM
It's from a video on Matt Colville's YouTube channel. A quick Google should find the video, but basically the goal is to pick a regular monster (his video uses an ankheg and a goblin boss as fully fleshed out examples) and give them three action/bonus actions, at least one reaction, and legendary actions. He refers to them as villain actions, but they're basically the same thing.

Where his approach differs from "just give your monster legendary actions" is that he sets them up to fire on Round 1, 2, and 3, respectively. I've made my own and turned a harpy into a memorable fight for three 5th level PCs.

Oh, is that the Animated Spellbook guy? I think I did see that. I'll give it another look. I found it interesting he cut hp in half on monsters. It's... likely to make fights end even faster with my party. But I will give it another look.

I did have some fun last night with the supplies, even if not with resource management in terms of combat readiness. They'd been in wasteland for 5 days, traveling with a group of Flaming Fist folks who'd gotten stranded when a volcanic eruption in the Cauldron ran their boat aground and smashed their supplies. Getting to the ship coming to pick them up ran through the party's supplies of food and water, and made them on short water rations for one more day (always fun in Chult).

Then, on their way back, they discovered their own rations were vanishing faster than they should. Turns out, those bags of silver they found under an altar that they sent most of back with the Flaming Fist guys? were children of the mimic that was the altar lid. Two of them stowed away with the party on the way back from the ship, leaving an unknown number of mimics on the boat. Small mimics, but still hungry.

MrStabby
2020-03-07, 12:23 PM
I think you kind of have the right idea.

Personally I think most random encounters leave something to be desired. I mean, what are the odds that rolling on a table can give a result better than something engineered for your characters, their backstory and the campaign?

On the other hand they fulfil an important pacing role - that unexpected encounter that let's those who haven't been playing the 15 min adventuring day a chance to shine.

I think random dungeons are a great idea. Firstly dungeons have loot. Now you might easily be able to escape a random dungeon encounter and thereby dodge the TPKs. At the same time it rewards not burning all resources ASAP and gives less nova focused characters more relevance in the main plotline.

I can easily imagine a campaign in a world where bat weather, night time or other occurrences force people into shelter, which if the shelter is not abundant in the world, forcing creatures (friendly or hostile) into contact with a frequency that would otherwise be unlikely.

Sparky McDibben
2020-03-07, 12:59 PM
Oh, is that the Animated Spellbook guy? I think I did see that. I'll give it another look. I found it interesting he cut hp in half on monsters. It's... likely to make fights end even faster with my party. But I will give it another look.

Nope, different guy, but Bashew (animated spellbook) has some good ideas, too.