PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a Kobold character for Tyrany of Dragons.

Jcp1195
2020-03-07, 11:32 AM
This will be the second time I'll be playing HotDQ/RoT, though the first time our DM at the time bailed from the group after a few sessions. The first time I played, I joined a good bit in and my group asked me to play as their Kobold pet, which they named Buttface. I saw no reason not to and he was a lot of fun as a Rogue, and also turned into our party's main DPS once he became a swashbuckler. He had a 6 in Intelligence and a 24 in Dexterity (Long story) and was so much fun to RP.

Now my best friend is deciding to run Tyrany of Dragons and we completed session one yesterday with my death at the hands of a Cultist Cleric. As is my curse with playing Clerics, its either a Nat 1 on a Death save or the DM doing just enough to outright kill me. This time it was the latter and he rolled exactly 20 damage on Inflict Wounds against my 10 hp Tempest Cleric.

Anyway, my DM remembered Buttface and suggested I remake him so I plan to do just that but since we have a rogue, I don't think that's what I should make him.

I'm modifying his backstory so that he was kicked out of the Cult of Tiamat, and out of spite joined up with the Greenest refugees. He's going to be Chaotic Good, and coming in at level 2.

Right now I'm pretty indifferent to what I should make him as, though I do kinda like the idea of him being a Dragon Hunting Ranger.

--------------

Our group stat pool is 17,15,14,13,10,8. I definitely want the 8 in his Intelligence. Buttface should not and will not be a smart character, so Wizard and Artificer are out.

Our group currently consists of a Fighter, a Bladesinger, a Rogue, and a Dreams Druid.

We also have Homebrew Variants of Kobolds to make them a bit more interesting:

Variant 1: +2 Dex, +1 Chr, -2 Strength

Variant 2: +2 Dex, -2 Strength, remove Sunlight Sensitivity

Variant 3: +2 Dex, -2 Strength, Remove Grovel, Cower, and Beg, Gain 25 foot Fly speed.

So with all that, If I could get a few recommendations to get the creative juices flowing I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

iTreeby
2020-03-08, 04:57 PM
Those stats are really good. I'd want to make a varient 2 monk way of shadows. Dump strength and int, have great DEX CON and WIS.

Joe the Rat
2020-03-09, 02:44 PM
With stats like that, you can do just about anything.
I'm currently playing in HotDQ with a Kobold Celestial Warlock, his Patron being one of Bahamut's gold dragon attendants. He rides the line between arcanist and healer, and throws sacred flame around in sunlight situations. Mask of Many Faces gives him an easy way to avoid the whole "being a kobold" issue, and makes for quick (albeit diminutive) disguise work. If you don't want to be all goody-goody, other Patron types offer strange takes.

On a similar take, Sorcerer and Bard give you low-int friendly casting. Kobold Bard would be a wonderfully wacky support caster.

I bring up casters because bladesingers sometimes forget they are Wizards.

Ranger or Fighter could be fun, either as ranged, or as a Dex-melee. Grab the no-sunlight sensitivity version, so you don't have to rely on adjacent allies and pack tactics. I always push Battle Master for fighter - giving you a new way to mix things up.

If you want to go really out there, Sword and Board Paladin. You will eschew the heavy armor & weaponry for finesse, and go nuts as an ankle-smiter. Melee focus can actually put GCB to good use. This would be a fun one to be a swashbuckler (but not a Swashbuckler), fancy swordplay and derring-do. You can do this with Hexblade as well, but they are late to the smite party.

But that shadow monk idea is solid. You wouldn't go wrong rolling with that.

da newt
2020-03-09, 04:55 PM
Dex Paladin, mounted combatant (or beast master ranger who rides his panther).

Pact of Chain Warlock with an IMP to fly him around for invisible Eldritch Blasts w. Grasp of Hadar to pull enemies 10' into the air, drop them for 1d6 fall damage and land prone too.

opaopajr
2020-03-10, 07:45 AM
Vengeance Paladin for being kicked out of the Cult of Tiamat. :smalltongue:

(Though I do like the idea of being a Kobold Wizard with INT 8. :smallcool: I'd probably go STR 17, DEX 14, CON 15, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 13. THEN Kobold variat 1: STR -2, DEX +2, CHA +1. Later take a 1/2 Feat for CON +1, likely Resilient for Concentration spells. :smallbiggrin: High strength is to loot as much as you can from the Cult... and also to Grab and Shove. :smallamused:)

Quoz
2020-03-10, 08:58 AM
Take the flight variant. Play drunken master monk. Flail about wildly. Ignore all loot that is not an alcoholic beverage.

AHF
2020-03-10, 12:17 PM
No sunlight sensitivity version. Totem Barbarian Wolf is that you get advantage through pack tactics and all your allies also get advantage when you are within 5 feet of each other. Gang up on enemies and go to town.

col_impact
2020-03-10, 02:37 PM
Variant 3 is insane. Anyone who picks variant 1 or 2 has no idea of the true value of concentration-free flight.

opaopajr
2020-03-10, 09:22 PM
Variant 3 is insane. Anyone who picks variant 1 or 2 has no idea of the true value of concentration-free flight.

You are absolutely correct, as there is a reason races with native Flight are not allowed in AL. It breaks challenges dead. :smallsmile: The fact that it is on offer immediately flags my suspicions of a naive "Giving GM" who will quickly lose control of their table.

:smallcool: But someone has to shower love on the other saner options.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-10, 11:14 PM
This will be the second time I'll be playing HotDQ/RoT, though the first time our DM at the time bailed from the group after a few sessions. The first time I played, I joined a good bit in and my group asked me to play as their Kobold pet, which they named Buttface. I saw no reason not to and he was a lot of fun as a Rogue, and also turned into our party's main DPS once he became a swashbuckler. He had a 6 in Intelligence and a 24 in Dexterity (Long story) and was so much fun to RP.

Now my best friend is deciding to run Tyrany of Dragons and we completed session one yesterday with my death at the hands of a Cultist Cleric. As is my curse with playing Clerics, its either a Nat 1 on a Death save or the DM doing just enough to outright kill me. This time it was the latter and he rolled exactly 20 damage on Inflict Wounds against my 10 hp Tempest Cleric.

Anyway, my DM remembered Buttface and suggested I remake him so I plan to do just that but since we have a rogue, I don't think that's what I should make him.

I'm modifying his backstory so that he was kicked out of the Cult of Tiamat, and out of spite joined up with the Greenest refugees. He's going to be Chaotic Good, and coming in at level 2.

Right now I'm pretty indifferent to what I should make him as, though I do kinda like the idea of him being a Dragon Hunting Ranger.

--------------

Our group stat pool is 17,15,14,13,10,8. I definitely want the 8 in his Intelligence. Buttface should not and will not be a smart character, so Wizard and Artificer are out.

Our group currently consists of a Fighter, a Bladesinger, a Rogue, and a Dreams Druid.

We also have Homebrew Variants of Kobolds to make them a bit more interesting:

Variant 1: +2 Dex, +1 Chr, -2 Strength

Variant 2: +2 Dex, -2 Strength, remove Sunlight Sensitivity

Variant 3: +2 Dex, -2 Strength, Remove Grovel, Cower, and Beg, Gain 25 foot Fly speed.

So with all that, If I could get a few recommendations to get the creative juices flowing I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Variant 2 Wolf Totem Barbarian

You will use the action "climb into bigger creature" from the DMG to climb into an enemy. You will then rage. All those melee types will then love Buttface.

Str 15 (17 - 2)
Dex 16 (14+2)
Con 15
Int 8
Wis 10
Cha 13

4th level take +1 str and con

8th level take inspiration leader or actor.

One of your skills needs to be acrobatics or Athletics for "climbing into bigger creatures".

Get a knife.

Your job isn't to do the most damage, but to be a "Tucker's Kobold". You will annoy and wear down the enemy so that the big guns can take them out.

Edit

The best death for Buttface would be climbing on a dragon, stabbing it while raging, and totally getting eaten by said dragon ++if it can knock you off its back++.

Edit 2

Flight is nice but makes you a target. Sunlight sensitivity suuuuucks.