PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed I need help finding a weapon enchantment

EisenKreutzer
2020-03-07, 12:09 PM
I know I've seen a magic weapon special ability in some 3rd Ed book that granted the wielder +2d6 sneak attack dice. It was worth a +2 bonus. I just can't for the life of me remember what book its from!

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-03-07, 12:24 PM
I know I've seen a magic weapon special ability in some 3rd Ed book that granted the wielder +2d6 sneak attack dice. It was worth a +2 bonus. I just can't for the life of me remember what book its from!Magic Weapon Abilities - Deadly Precision
A weapon with this ability deals an extra 2d6 points of damage when its wielder makes a successful sneak attack. This ability does not bestow the ability to make sneak attacks upon a user who does not already have it.

Aura: Strong enchantment
Caster Level: 12th
Requirements: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, keen edge
Price: +2 bonus
Complete Adventurer
Miniatures Handbook

But given the massive drawback of only giving sneak attack, and the massive cost of a +2, you'd be better off going to the MIC, picking up a weapon crystal, and then adding additional weapon crystal enhancements for additional +1d6s of energy damage for a 50% markup. VASTLY more cost-effective, and you can transfer from weapon to weapon. And since you'll have several different energy types, and many energy immunities mean additional energy vulnerabilities, you're much better off that way.

EisenKreutzer
2020-03-07, 12:26 PM
Magic Weapon Abilities - Deadly Precision
A weapon with this ability deals an extra 2d6 points of damage when its wielder makes a successful sneak attack. This ability does not bestow the ability to make sneak attacks upon a user who does not already have it.
Aura: Strong enchantment
Caster Level: 12th
Requirements: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, keen edge
Price: +2 bonus
Complete Adventurer
Miniatures Handbook

But given the massive drawback of only giving sneak attack, and the massive cost of a +2, you'd be better off going to the MIC, picking up a weapon crystal, and then adding additional weapon crystal enhancements for additional +1d6s of energy damage for a 50% markup. VASTLY more cost-effective, and you can transfer from weapon to weapon. And since you'll have several different energy types, and many energy immunities mean additional energy vulnerabilities, you're much better off that way.

Thabks! It was driving me crazy!
I'm the GM, and I'm looking for flavourful loot to give to the party rogue. The actual bonus value isn't an issue, since I can safely ignore it and just hand the weapon out if I feel it's appropriate.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-03-07, 12:29 PM
Thabks! It was driving me crazy!
I'm the GM, and I'm looking for flavourful loot to give to the party rogue. The actual bonus value isn't an issue, since I can safely ignore it and just hand the weapon out if I feel it's appropriate.Curse the weapon crystal so it only works for characters with max ranks in sneakiness? Or with Xd6 sneak attack? Give it drawbacks that make it even more valuable to certain character types, such as (assuming the character is necropolitan, as an example) it deals +1 negative energy damage every 5 rounds, which heals undead.

Saintheart
2020-03-07, 07:54 PM
Footnote: MIC nerfed Deadly Precision. It's now a +1 price, but only adds +1d6 to sneak attack or sudden strike.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-03-07, 08:03 PM
Here're more sources of sneak attack for you: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?539828-Sources-of-Sneak-Attack

EisenKreutzer
2020-03-07, 09:52 PM
Here're more sources of sneak attack for you: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?539828-Sources-of-Sneak-Attack

Thanks, but hes a rogue so he’s already got sneak attack. ;)