PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Potential multiple enchantment conflict or ok?

the_tick_rules
2020-03-07, 01:42 PM
The armor spike question I asked earlier made me look into other ways to get more buffs out of the existing slots. It led me to an interesting question. Could I use the casting glove item on two gloves if they are a single magic item? It's an item in the Magic item compendium that allows you to store an item in a dimensional space but activate it like you are holding it. I know you can't have two magic items on your hands like you can't have a magic glove and magic gauntlet or two casting gloves if they were individual items. However I am adding them onto gloves of dexterity +6 using the 50% additional item rule in the MIC (and the DMG that almost nobody notices was there the whole time). The gloves are a set so would that allow you if you pay for it twice and have a dimensional space on each glove?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-03-07, 01:47 PM
The armor spike question I asked earlier made me look into other ways to get more buffs out of the existing slots. It led me to an interesting question. Could I use the casting glove item on two gloves if they are a single magic item? It's an item in the Magic item compendium that allows you to store an item in a dimensional space but activate it like you are holding it. I know you can't have two magic items on your hands like you can't have a magic glove and magic gauntlet or two casting gloves if they were individual items. However I am adding them onto gloves of dexterity +6 using the 50% additional item rule in the MIC (and the DMG that almost nobody notices was there the whole time). The gloves are a set so would that allow you if you pay for it twice and have a dimensional space on each glove?Well, each hand is a different item slot. It just so happens that most gloves come in pairs and only work together.

If a glove comes as a singular item and does not have that drawback, you can wear two gloves (so long as they're designed for each specific hand) and gain both benefits, kind of like how a singular gauntlet is one item, and enhancing two gauntlets gives you two different magic weapons instead of a pair of matched gauntlets.

If you enhance two different gloves as gloves of Dex, then they only give the Dex bonus when both are worn, but they otherwise give their individual bonuses when only one is worn.

And the reason why the DMG is usually ignored is because the "rules" are marked as suggestions, meaning "your DM houserules it in." Whereas the MIC is marked as actual rules, even though they're the same as the DMG's.

Gruftzwerg
2020-03-07, 08:30 PM
The armor spike question I asked earlier made me look into other ways to get more buffs out of the existing slots. It led me to an interesting question. Could I use the casting glove item on two gloves if they are a single magic item? It's an item in the Magic item compendium that allows you to store an item in a dimensional space but activate it like you are holding it. I know you can't have two magic items on your hands like you can't have a magic glove and magic gauntlet or two casting gloves if they were individual items. However I am adding them onto gloves of dexterity +6 using the 50% additional item rule in the MIC (and the DMG that almost nobody notices was there the whole time). The gloves are a set so would that allow you if you pay for it twice and have a dimensional space on each glove?

If you would apply regular rules for stacking it wouldn't work out imho to have 2x the same effect on a single item. The magic would overlap.
But there are several magic items for storing that can be combined.

- Glove of Storing (store/retrieve items up 20 pounds.
- Glove of Casting (store/retrieve items up to 20 pounds. can use consumables without retrieving)
- Glove of Wand (store up to 10 wands and use em at your fingertips)

________non Glove options______________
- Wand Chamber (weapon/shield enchantment to store a single wand for a mere 100g)
- Handy Haversack (retrieve item as a move action)

If you would say what you intend to store, maybe we could add a few specific items to the list.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-03-07, 08:39 PM
Check out the gloves of the master strategist, from Ghostwalk. Cheaper than gloves of storing, even though they do exactly the same thing, while also giving 1/day true strike. 3,600 gp! Yay!

the_tick_rules
2020-03-07, 09:12 PM
Check out the gloves of the master strategist, from Ghostwalk. Cheaper than gloves of storing, even though they do exactly the same thing, while also giving 1/day true strike. 3,600 gp! Yay!

I looked it up. unfortunately it seems to lack the key ability of the casting glove which is you can activate the item while shrunk as if you are holding it. I suspect that is why a casting glove cost 20k.

the_tick_rules
2020-03-07, 09:15 PM
If you would apply regular rules for stacking it wouldn't work out imho to have 2x the same effect on a single item. The magic would overlap.
But there are several magic items for storing that can be combined.

- Glove of Storing (store/retrieve items up 20 pounds.
- Glove of Casting (store/retrieve items up to 20 pounds. can use consumables without retrieving)
- Glove of Wand (store up to 10 wands and use em at your fingertips)

________non Glove options______________
- Wand Chamber (weapon/shield enchantment to store a single wand for a mere 100g)
- Handy Haversack (retrieve item as a move action)

If you would say what you intend to store, maybe we could add a few specific items to the list.

I intend to store a gem of true seeing and a +5 spellstrike dagger in the other.

Gruftzwerg
2020-03-07, 09:53 PM
I intend to store a gem of true seeing and a +5 spellstrike dagger in the other.

Storing would be enough for that. But if you want the ability to use stored consumables go for the caster gloves.
And last, think about exchanging the gem for a Hathran Masks of True Seeing (count as googles for slot) if it's accessible for you. Costs the same, permanent on and you don't need to hold it for use.