PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Ex-Clerics and PrC that advance casting

eversilentone
2020-03-07, 03:49 PM
A quick question - I presume absolutely not the case, but if a cleric has a PrC which advances casting then becomes an ex-cleric, can the casting advancements be reallocated to another eligible class/PrC? Related, but what happens if the cleric were to become an apostate and worship another entity - are they an ex-cleric or now a cleric of a different entity? I've seen the rules in the PhB about Divine Conversion, but I'm not sure how that fits when worshipping concepts, for example. Lastly, if the cleric>ex-cleric>apostate cleric has the aforementioned PrCs which advance casting, assuming they are still eligible, does that mean that they can remain allocated to the cleric class, albeit now rededicated to a new entity for worship?

Thanks, in advance :)

OrbanSirgen
2020-03-07, 11:04 PM
All of the prestige classes that I see that give +1 to a spellcasting class, whether divine or arcane, say it has to be one that you were a member of before taking the level of the prestige class... I would say that if you become an ex-cleric, you would still have the boost to your cleric spellcasting whether it is actually available or not... If you become a cleric of another entity, it would still boost cleric spellcasting, which you now have again... Cleric spellcasting is cleric spellcasting, regardless of who provides your spells...

Troacctid
2020-03-08, 10:43 AM
The problem is advancing your ex-cleric casting doesn't do anything, because it's all spells you can't cast because you're an ex-cleric.

Psyren
2020-03-08, 10:53 AM
A quick question - I presume absolutely not the case, but if a cleric has a PrC which advances casting then becomes an ex-cleric, can the casting advancements be reallocated to another eligible class/PrC?

Assuming you have two casting classes and the PrC could advance either one - for example, an Ardent/Cleric/Sanctified Mind - theoretically by retraining your Sanctified Mind levels you could change choices you made at those levels such as which casting to advance. But it wouldn't be automatic, you'd have to actually go through the retraining process first. If you didn't do that, any PrCs pointing at your cleric casting would have nothing to advance and you would lose access to all that casting progression.

Related, but what happens if the cleric were to become an apostate and worship another entity - are they an ex-cleric or now a cleric of a different entity?

Generally if another deity takes you on then you would no longer be an ex-cleric. Usually they demand that you at least get an atonement from a current worshiper however; while it's not completely impossible, it's highly unlikely that you could simply declare "I'm worshiping X now" after having been dumped by deity/ideal Y and get all your powers back immediately. Moreover, that atonement usually would require that you complete a task or quest of some kind to prove your commitment, generally set by the atonement caster.

eversilentone
2020-03-08, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I think the retraining and/or the atonement-quest for a new worship solves it.

gorfnab
2020-03-08, 05:36 PM
Ex-Cleric/ Defiant (PlH)/ Ur-Priest (CD) could be amusing.