PDA

View Full Version : High Hopes and Bright Futures (IC)

Esprit15
2020-03-07, 04:36 PM
52nd Year of the 48th Age

Summer

The morning sun rises over the city of Kern, dispersing the cold mist that tends to gather in the pre-daylight hours. Already, the town quickly awakens, shopkeepers, businessmen, and laborers leaving their homes to make the daily preparations for a new day of work. In the distance, the Church of Kelerth can be heard ringing out the hour - eight in the morning.

Cooper
The bell ringing in the distance draws you out of trance, and you awaken in the bed at Ulypsos Inn. The owner, a snow elf by the name of Polemm, has taken to offering you a place to sleep and a morning meal in exchange for you running errands for him - collecting goods for the inn's evening meal, showing guests around the town, basic tasks that someone who until recently spent a lot of their time in alleyways would be good at. As you gather your thoughts for the day, Polemm's rough voice calls from the other room. "Good morning, North!" In spite of your insistence on your given name, Polemm has refused to call you anything other than "North" and "Island," in spite of you never having even set foot on Elysia (the island that Grey Elves call home). The man seems to mean it as gentle ribbing, at least. "Need you to make a run to the market once you're up and fed."

Kyra and Rixia
The bell in the distances rouses you as its dampened sound still fills the small, crowded, temple. Ever since Kyra's wish, the Temple of Geofnic began opening its doors to some of the town's homeless - space limiting the amount of people that they could house and feed at any one time - but last night being somewhat slow, you managed to work your way in. A woman in simple clothes walks by your bunk and wakes the girl sleeping above you, checks that you're awake, and then continues down the line. In the distance you can smell some sort of broth or soup, likely the breakfast that the temple has for its guests being prepared.

Gloria
The only person here to actually having more than 0 living parents, the Swifthearts wake well before dawn. Your mother, a gentle woman in her forties, jostles you awake. "Gloria, come on dear, you have to learn to wake to the bells eventually. You're practically a grown woman." Downstairs in the shop itself, your father can be heard taking out supplies, while your brother is apparently outside chopping wood for the baking oven.

By the time the sun is up, your family is already well in motion and has been up for at least two hours. Morning loaves have just left the oven, and many of the usual buyers are coming to the store. Your mother sets two baskets of fresh loaves on the table for you and your brother to take into the town square to sell to those who don't frequent the shop.

Merilan
2020-03-07, 04:46 PM
Homeless.

Regardless of anything else that's happened -- her father's death, her subsequent apotheosis to... something -- she's still not quite certain just what that chance encounter with the silver wyrmling represents, Rixia still knows that above all she is... homeless. Nothing has changed on that front -- she's merely a drifter passing by, with no place to call her own. So when she heard that the Temple was offering its doors to the homeless, she went there. Perhaps in part because there's a place for her there, and another... there's perhaps a chance to help the needful there.

Rixia is a young girl, visibly a youkai of a kind -- her white hair segues seamlessly into fluffy fox ears, and behind her battered old jacket, a bushy peak-white tail waggles quietly as she wanders towards the scent of soup. "Thank you..." she expresses to the woman.

jamieth
2020-03-07, 06:06 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/0j5rf97y/mundane.jpg
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
In fact, Kyra was awake for a while now, and was just finishing her morning stretches as the woman came up to check on her. "Morning!" the girl replied enthusiastically, jumping - literally - off the bed and sniffing the air, trying to guess what's on the table today. Not that she had a privilege to choose.

Kyra follows the woman, greeting the kids as they wake up - apparently, she knows a better half of the orphans in town by names. Feeling herself kinda responsible for them being here today - not that she would ever tell that to anyone; not only her current job must remain a secret, but also claiming her wish was the reason this place exists would be selfish - she still carries herself with an air of pride and confidence rarely seen in someone of her position.

"Morning, Rixi", she says with a smile, gently patting the fox girl on the shoulders, "Ready for new day? I've a feeling something fun might happen today!"

Granted, for anyone who knew Kyra for any amount of time, that prediction wo'nt mean much, as it seems she has such a feeling every morning.

Merilan
2020-03-07, 07:41 PM
Rixia jolts for a bit when Kyra pops on in and pats her on the shoulders, which... well, does seem to be a very usual Rixia reaction. "M-morning, Kyra," she answers as she tries to puff up her lower lip and not look surprised. Though even in the few days she's known her, it's easy to tell with Rixia: the tell isn't in her face or words, but rather how excitedly her tail and/or ears swish.

"Something fun? I hope the kids won't try to climb the bell tower again..." And as much as she pretends to not be affected, she's spent an uncanny amount of time in her animal form as a small fox playing with the orphans.

YuweaCurtis
2020-03-08, 03:25 PM
Of course Gloria wouldn't talk back to her mother, but it was hard to wake up early when you had to patrol the streets at night. "Okay, sorry, don't know how I'm so tired..." She would put her hair up in partially sideways ponytail with a hairband by her bed, then drag herself out of bed in order to get herself ready for the day.

Really she could probably handle both baskets by herself, but better safe than sorry and it allowed them to cover more ground. She would stuff her face with some pastries before grabbing her basket, having not eaten anything this morning until then. Making sure she had her bag for collecting money she would grab the heavier basket "I'm ready when you are, little brother. Don't make me wait!"

Jacior
2020-03-08, 07:35 PM
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/ceec4051-d798-45fa-9659-afa93d7ed806/d28w2zh-99e8309a-aa5a-4cce-9dc7-97a6d9b60939.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJ IUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQz NzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZT BkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6 W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2NlZWM0MDUxLWQ3OTgtNDVmYS05Nj U5LWFmYTkzZDdlZDgwNlwvZDI4dzJ6aC05OWU4MzA5YS1hYTVh LTRjY2UtOWRjNy05N2E2ZDliNjA5MzkuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIj pbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.xm08iGEB 0AKNHIbmpEoE_oMtncPwOtwHWsnkpDd_Q_g
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
The street-tanned grey elf stretched on the bed. It was the most comfortable thing he could ever remember sleeping on and it was still shocking how much his life had changed so fast. Out of habit, he checked for his shoes to make sure they hadn't been taken in the night. Better safe than sorry even here. They were the nicest boots he'd owned and with the least holes too. Picking the small pouch of coins from under the mattress, he knocked on his boots and grabbed up his backpack next to the door. Cooper stopped and walked back over to the small night-table, picking up the small golden bangle and clasping it to his wrist. The harp charm's strings managed to ring out faintly to his ears, small as it was.

Stepping out into the common room, Cooper pulled open his coin pouch and counted up what he had. "Aye, Mr. Polemm, just tell me what we need and I'll grab a fresh loaf of bread while I'm out, I can spare the coin for it today." It was still very strange to get... meals and boarding without paying. He would buy his own breakfast today. "I might stop by the Church before I pick up the shopping, if that's ok?" He stood near the doorway, waiting for approval before heading out.

Esprit15
2020-03-08, 09:17 PM
Of course Gloria wouldn't talk back to her mother, but it was hard to wake up early when you had to patrol the streets at night. "Okay, sorry, don't know how I'm so tired..." She would put her hair up in partially sideways ponytail with a hairband by her bed, then drag herself out of bed in order to get herself ready for the day.

Really she could probably handle both baskets by herself, but better safe than sorry and it allowed them to cover more ground. She would stuff her face with some pastries before grabbing her basket, having not eaten anything this morning until then. Making sure she had her bag for collecting money she would grab the heavier basket "I'm ready when you are, little brother. Don't make me wait!"
Your brother, still a bit covered in flour on the face, leaves the table where Mother was explaining the process of proofing. "Hey now, some of us actually plan to be good at baking," he snarks, which earns him a quick swat on the butt with a wooden spoon from your father, who otherwise lets the comment pass.

As you head out into town, people are, as mentioned, bustling back and forth, and you notice too other kids your age doing exactly what you and your brother are doing: trying to sell their families' goods, some of which smell really good.
Make me either a Profession (Baker) check, or a Perform (Oratory) check to get attention and sell your bread. Your brother assisting you gives a +2 to the check.

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/ceec4051-d798-45fa-9659-afa93d7ed806/d28w2zh-99e8309a-aa5a-4cce-9dc7-97a6d9b60939.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJ IUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQz NzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZT BkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6 W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2NlZWM0MDUxLWQ3OTgtNDVmYS05Nj U5LWFmYTkzZDdlZDgwNlwvZDI4dzJ6aC05OWU4MzA5YS1hYTVh LTRjY2UtOWRjNy05N2E2ZDliNjA5MzkuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIj pbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.xm08iGEB 0AKNHIbmpEoE_oMtncPwOtwHWsnkpDd_Q_g
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
The street-tanned grey elf stretched on the bed. It was the most comfortable thing he could ever remember sleeping on and it was still shocking how much his life had changed so fast. Out of habit, he checked for his shoes to make sure they hadn't been taken in the night. Better safe than sorry even here. They were the nicest boots he'd owned and with the least holes too. Picking the small pouch of coins from under the mattress, he knocked on his boots and grabbed up his backpack next to the door. Cooper stopped and walked back over to the small night-table, picking up the small golden bangle and clasping it to his wrist. The harp charm's strings managed to ring out faintly to his ears, small as it was.

Stepping out into the common room, Cooper pulled open his coin pouch and counted up what he had. "Aye, Mr. Polemm, just tell me what we need and I'll grab a fresh loaf of bread while I'm out, I can spare the coin for it today." It was still very strange to get... meals and boarding without paying. He would buy his own breakfast today. "I might stop by the Church before I pick up the shopping, if that's ok?" He stood near the doorway, waiting for approval before heading out.

"Long as you're back with fixings for the evening meal I don't care if you stop by the candlelit district," the elf says with a smile. "Right, the missus is planning something a bit nicer than usual, dish that a Carhart Gnome was going on about. He likes it, we might get a bit more business from him and his friends," he hands you a list of vegetables and spices. He reaches toward his coin pouch, but then pauses and seems to mentally replay what you had said, and seems to not speak up after that.
Make me a Gather Information check to see how much of the list you are easily able to find. Most of the items are common, bust some, especially the spices, are unfamiliar to you.

Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
In fact, Kyra was awake for a while now, and was just finishing her morning stretches as the woman came up to check on her. "Morning!" the girl replied enthusiastically, jumping - literally - off the bed and sniffing the air, trying to guess what's on the table today. Not that she had a privilege to choose.

Kyra follows the woman, greeting the kids as they wake up - apparently, she knows a better half of the orphans in town by names. Feeling herself kinda responsible for them being here today - not that she would ever tell that to anyone; not only her current job must remain a secret, but also claiming her wish was the reason this place exists would be selfish - she still carries herself with an air of pride and confidence rarely seen in someone of her position.

"Morning, Rixi", she says with a smile, gently patting the fox girl on the shoulders, "Ready for new day? I've a feeling something fun might happen today!"

Granted, for anyone who knew Kyra for any amount of time, that prediction wo'nt mean much, as it seems she has such a feeling every morning.

Rixia jolts for a bit when Kyra pops on in and pats her on the shoulders, which... well, does seem to be a very usual Rixia reaction. "M-morning, Kyra," she answers as she tries to puff up her lower lip and not look surprised. Though even in the few days she's known her, it's easy to tell with Rixia: the tell isn't in her face or words, but rather how excitedly her tail and/or ears swish.

"Something fun? I hope the kids won't try to climb the bell tower again..." And as much as she pretends to not be affected, she's spent an uncanny amount of time in her animal form as a small fox playing with the orphans.

At the mention of "climb the belltower," you hear several whispers from other kids of "Ooh, I dare you..." "No, that's crazy..." "Priests would get mad..." and "You chicken?"

As you slowly drift toward the smell of soup, you join the line of other guests. A tall man, presumably the temple's cook, eventually brings out a large pot, before pausing to give a short blessing. "Saint Geofnic, whose blade always points toward tyrants, whose shadow shelters the downtrodden, please bless this meal, that it may bring nourishment to those who need it, that it may give strength to those who may use it. Please look kindly upon our guests from yesterevening, that their paths today be those of Good. In your Exalted name, we pray." The line then begins to move. As it does, you see some guests from outside join the line as well.

Eventually, you and several kids are sitting outside on the temple steps, indeed, just in the shadow of a statue of the temple's patron - a tall man of Westerland appearance, head bald, standing as though at attention. In his right hand is an imposing lance, though the rest of his clothing appears plain. His face carries just the faintest hint of a smile, and while imposing from a distance, feels at the same time fatherly. Before him sits a metal brazier that you recall last night was lit, but now contains no fuel. The meal was simple - mostly vegetables that were boiled down to form a broth that was flavorful enough to be not unappealing but still lacking in real substance, and a dense bread that though similarly bland, some of the patrons were savoring like it was a fine fruit.

Merilan
2020-03-09, 12:19 AM
Rixia has a kind of visible pout as the kids start whispering, going, "Heey. I'll play with you later if you behave, okay?"

She may not have been here anywhere near as long as Kyra, or know as many of the kids by name, but there's a caring and good-natured soul there -- someone who definitely wants to care for them as well. Someone who sees more than a little bit of herself in them.

The youkai listens intently towards his blessing, bowing her head and accepting the soup gracefully. "Thank you," she expresses. "May Saint Geofnic watch over us."

There's a part of Rixia that does not wish to really mention it, but she's not quite accustomed to a religious place -- her found father Eltanin was not exactly the religious sort, perhaps in hindsight because of the kind of fate he achieved... and now she's not quite sure either what her newfound power means in the presence of the Gods. But it doesn't mean she has to be rude about it. They were feeding and sheltering her, after all!

After the meal, she's gone to do what she usually does... and where there was once Rixia, there is now a little, dog-sized fox with a familiar silver fur, possibly being chased around by children and otherwise doing very friendly dog(-like) things with them.

jamieth
2020-03-09, 08:21 AM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
Climb the belltower? Kyra thinks, sitting on the stairs, remembering the boys she overheard earlier, this is... why didn't I think of it myself?
It is dangerous, for sure, but with her newly-gifted powers, she's rather sure she'll be able to do it... and, it would be a perfect place to keep watch over the town... well, the neighbourhood, at the very least. Hm... better to keep an eye on that place. Just, you know, in case...
Kyra notices Rxix's disappearance with a knowing smile and heads off to search for the boys. After all... should they actually decide to do that... they might need saving. And saving people is what Kyra has been doing the last month.

YuweaCurtis
2020-03-09, 04:11 PM
Gloria chuckles, making sure to stay out of her father's range.

Seeing the crowd she would clear her throat before making her way through people to allow them to smell the bake goods the two are carrying. "Fresh bread, straight from the oven!" Sure it was predictable pitch, but she wasn't a professional or anything. All her skills seems to go into her gardener's shears and her magical blades. After an initial pass through the major areas, she would then try her best to avoid any other selling bakery items, if not food altogether. You don't have to compete if there are no competitors after all.

Jacior
2020-03-09, 07:07 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
"Ok, Mr. Polemm, shouldn't be a problem." It took him a minute to realize what else the old elf had said. "I would never! I'm not even old enough!" Red creeping up to the tips of his ears, he fled out the door and into the early morning street, swinging the bag around his shoulders. Better to stop and get all the groceries so there's no rush to get everything after visiting the church. If... he could find everything on this list. Tehre was some weird stuff and he wasn't the best at reading.

[roll0]

Esprit15
2020-03-09, 07:30 PM
Gloria chuckles, making sure to stay out of her father's range.

Seeing the crowd she would clear her throat before making her way through people to allow them to smell the bake goods the two are carrying. "Fresh bread, straight from the oven!" Sure it was predictable pitch, but she wasn't a professional or anything. All her skills seems to go into her gardener's shears and her magical blades. After an initial pass through the major areas, she would then try her best to avoid any other selling bakery items, if not food altogether. You don't have to compete if there are no competitors after all.
Your sense of where other bakers' children would be is spot on, and in no time you and you send your brother back with an empty basket to get more, taking his to keep selling. While he was certainly better than you in the kitchen, people just seemed more drawn to the girl than the boy when it came to selling.

As he finishes up his first basket, your brother speaks up. "Ma said after you finish this one to come back 'cause she wants you to take a turn at the oven." You've been doing well - 'one for two or two for three' seemed to be a great way to getting people to buy an extra loaf, and the inn keepers were more than happy to have bulk purchases being cheaper. You'd have to remember to suggest it to your parents when you got back home - you were up to 31CP already. As you get down to your last two loaves, you spot a blond, elven boy - unusual in that most of the elves around here were either white haired or had a faintly blue tint to it.

Cooper
Before you really manage to reach any other shops, you catch sight of a brown haired girl. "One for two, two for three! Fresh bread!" she calls out as a boy with an empty basket seems to head away from her.

Rixia has a kind of visible pout as the kids start whispering, going, "Heey. I'll play with you later if you behave, okay?"

She may not have been here anywhere near as long as Kyra, or know as many of the kids by name, but there's a caring and good-natured soul there -- someone who definitely wants to care for them as well. Someone who sees more than a little bit of herself in them.

The youkai listens intently towards his blessing, bowing her head and accepting the soup gracefully. "Thank you," she expresses. "May Saint Geofnic watch over us."

There's a part of Rixia that does not wish to really mention it, but she's not quite accustomed to a religious place -- her found father Eltanin was not exactly the religious sort, perhaps in hindsight because of the kind of fate he achieved... and now she's not quite sure either what her newfound power means in the presence of the Gods. But it doesn't mean she has to be rude about it. They were feeding and sheltering her, after all!

After the meal, she's gone to do what she usually does... and where there was once Rixia, there is now a little, dog-sized fox with a familiar silver fur, possibly being chased around by children and otherwise doing very friendly dog(-like) things with them.

The other children are enamored almost instantly by the fox, while a few of the priests who do not normally see you look slightly concerned at the children playing with what appeared to be a wild, if friendly, animal. One of the priests who does recognize Rixia's gift calms them though, and sits down to watch.

Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
Climb the belltower? Kyra thinks, sitting on the stairs, remembering the boys she overheard earlier, this is... why didn't I think of it myself?
It is dangerous, for sure, but with her newly-gifted powers, she's rather sure she'll be able to do it... and, it would be a perfect place to keep watch over the town... well, the neighbourhood, at the very least. Hm... better to keep an eye on that place. Just, you know, in case...
Kyra notices Rxix's disappearance with a knowing smile and heads off to search for the boys. After all... should they actually decide to do that... they might need saving. And saving people is what Kyra has been doing the last month.

As you head off to the tower, you find a few kids loitering in a nearby alleyway, though none seem to have worked up the courage to approach the building itself. The church itself is a rather plain building, though not as modest in appearance as the temple. Just getting close, you can smell the parchment and ink of the numerous books inside. Two dark robed individuals appear to be making casual rounds around the building, which may also serve to dissuade the kids from any funny business. Unlike the Temple of Geofnic, no humanoid statue stands outside of the church's doors. Instead, above the doors and etched where most businesses would display their name is the carving of a scarred, reptilian eye.

Merilan
2020-03-09, 08:06 PM
It's not exactly certain to Rixia whether her instincts are her own, but when the children go and play ball and she goes to fetch it for them, it feels incredibly natural... even if she'd probably explode into a little bundle of red if it were in her youkai or human form. She's relieved for the priests that she does trust enough to not be judgemental of her gift.

But eventually she notices Kyra went somewhere -- and some of the children are gone too? Maybe they really did try to climb the belltower.

After a few more rounds of ball-catching, the little fox gives a nod towards the priest as she slips away to see if Kyra might need some assistance.

Jacior
2020-03-09, 09:13 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
Cooper is immediately pulled from his path for the sound of his stomach grumbling and a voice calling out for fresh bread. Stepping up to girl with the bread, he pulled out his coin pouch. "Is that in copper or silver? I'll take one if it's silver and two if it's copper."

YuweaCurtis
2020-03-10, 10:41 AM
Gloria sighs when he mentions the oven. She really wasn't a fan of the heat. "That's great," she says, looking around to for people to sell the rest of her bread to. She gets down to two loaves, so she starts making her way back towards the bakery. It's at this point when she spots the elven boy, whom seems to also notice her. "Copper, of course." she replies, her tone sounding as if the idea of it being silver would be silly.

Jacior
2020-03-10, 06:03 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
Cooper tried not to let his face turn red. The number of times that a shopkeep had jacked up the price to try and get him to go away was... "Oh! Right, of course. I'll take them both then, if that's not a problem?" He fished the coins out of his pouch and held them out, bangle and charm dangling from his wrist.

jamieth
2020-03-11, 01:35 AM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
OK. So, they actually guard the belltower. Good for the boys, who probably wo'nt have to endanger themselves for the sake of a dare. Not good for Kyra, who seriouslly consdidered the place as a base of operations. I'll get back here at night...
And for now? Well, she had a full day ahead of her. Perhaps earn a coin or two... nice as the temple folks were, Kyra really preferred to not bother them any more than necessary. After, there were kids who needed those beds more than she did.
"Ehh, seems everything's fine here", she says, seemingly to herself, noticing a cute fox nearby, "I was thinking about going to the market... show some tricks, maybe earn some coins..."

YuweaCurtis
2020-03-12, 01:27 PM
Noticing his expression, but not quite understanding it, she would lean toward him and smile closing her eyes briefly. "I meant no insult. Just I think silver would be a bit too much." She opens her eyes and reaches over for the copper. Once taken she would hand him the two loaves of bread. "Enjoy!"

Merilan
2020-03-14, 05:19 PM
Rixia paces gently towards Kyra's side, letting out her own sigh of relief when she sees that the boys aren't going to go off and do that. But, what to do now? She looks up towards Kyra as she muses, nodding quietly. The unspoken gesture seems to be 'I'll go with you'. A fox would be quite an attraction for tricks, after all!

Jacior
2020-03-14, 07:23 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
"Oh, uh yeah. No insult, just... yeah. Thank you for the bread!" Feeling the color slowly rising up again, Cooper hurried away. It was weird for people to not look down on him a lot. Now if he could just grab some fruit or maybe some smoked meat or fish or something breakfast would be great! Storing one of hte loaves in his pack, he looked at the list. There wasn't anything here that wouldn't... super go bad before he got back. It'd be good to go check on his siblings before he headed back. But first, shopping!

Esprit15
2020-03-14, 07:43 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
"Oh, uh yeah. No insult, just... yeah. Thank you for the bread!" Feeling the color slowly rising up again, Cooper hurried away. It was weird for people to not look down on him a lot. Now if he could just grab some fruit or maybe some smoked meat or fish or something breakfast would be great! Storing one of hte loaves in his pack, he looked at the list. There wasn't anything here that wouldn't... super go bad before he got back. It'd be good to go check on his siblings before he headed back. But first, shopping!

You manage to find just about everything on the list. The only exception is a spice whose name you're pretty sure is from Carhart, based on Polemm's comment earlier. Unfortunately, nobody you can find is really sure what it is, even at the epicery that you normally go to. Polemm's wife will just have to make do without - you pick up something that the shopkeep thinks might be a suitable substitute, before heading back to your place of residence.

Jacior
2020-03-15, 05:45 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
"Hrmmm... I hope it's okay to substitute... I don't know enough about cooking to see what's going on here." Cooper mumbled to himself, walking down the streets towards the inn. He furrowed his brow trying to remember what he'd been forgetting before the realization that he was going to go to the church struck him. "Oh, crap. I was gonna go see them today... maybe... tomorrow. They don't need me checking up on them every other day right? Right. Right?" He looked down at the harp charm on his wrist, hearing its small, resonant hum. "Right. I'll just... go back to the inn. I didn't have any other plans. Maybe I can wash some dishes or something."

After shaking his head loose, he walked up the steps into the inn and opened the door. "Mr. Polemm, I'm back with all the ingredients for dinner! Or, most of them anyway."

Esprit15
2020-03-15, 06:39 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
"Hrmmm... I hope it's okay to substitute... I don't know enough about cooking to see what's going on here." Cooper mumbled to himself, walking down the streets towards the inn. He furrowed his brow trying to remember what he'd been forgetting before the realization that he was going to go to the church struck him. "Oh, crap. I was gonna go see them today... maybe... tomorrow. They don't need me checking up on them every other day right? Right. Right?" He looked down at the harp charm on his wrist, hearing its small, resonant hum. "Right. I'll just... go back to the inn. I didn't have any other plans. Maybe I can wash some dishes or something."

After shaking his head loose, he walked up the steps into the inn and opened the door. "Mr. Polemm, I'm back with all the ingredients for dinner! Or, most of them anyway."

Staring at the charm, you feel a very gentle but distinct sense of calm emanate from it as you wonder about your siblings. The church was a good bit toward the edge as is, and while Polemm joked about you being gone for a while, he probably would prefer you back in time for food to be prepared.

Polemm's wife, Niaka, welcomes you as you return. "Polemm had to step out - customer needed directions somewhere. Let's see what's missing..." Taking one of the bags of goods, you both step into the kitchen. "Tomatoes, squash, peppers..." she gives a chuckle as she takes out the sprig of mint that you bought. "This... probably won't do as a substitute for Kronus's herb. Lunis leaves would have been more appropriate, but..." she looks at the kitchen, clearly trying to see what to do to salvage it. "Maybe a one part mint and two parts... That could work. Call it a Kernian twist on the recipe," she says with a bit of a smile. "Thank you for picking up everything else, Cooper," the snow elf says with a small but warm smile. "We don't have too many guests to help, so if you're free, I wouldn't turn down a little help in the kitchen."

(You suspect that she is offering an out if you didn't want to help, but would also appreciate it if you did, given the mistake with the herbs.)

jamieth
2020-03-16, 02:31 AM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
Kyra, accompanied with her new cute companion, makes her way into the market square and finds herself a nice little corner... not quite in the way, and way to narrow to set a stall - but more than enough to fit a girl, a fox, and some juggling equipment. It's not even about money, Kyra genuinely enjoys the hustle and bustle of the market... though, admittedly, some extra coin sure won't hurt. Not having to rely on the temple is always nice... but, most importantly... "hey, are you having fun?" she whispers to the fox - that is, to Rixi - with a wink, "we can do it any day, you know?"
Perform: [roll0]

Merilan
2020-03-16, 02:38 AM
Rixia performs as Kyra's accompaniment -- doing little trots and spins, hopping and fetching! She always melts down a little when asked about the performances afterwards, but there's no genuinely mistaking how much fun she's having. Kon, she lets out a little bark, nodding a few times.

[roll0]

Jacior
2020-03-16, 07:49 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
"Ah... sorry ma'am... I don't really know anything about cooking, I thought it would work..." That was... severely embarassing. "I can help all you want me to! I just... don't know wha I'm doing so maybe simple stuff?" That painfully obvious blush crept back up Cooper's ears as he stood there awkwardly.

Esprit15
2020-03-17, 03:12 PM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
Kyra, accompanied with her new cute companion, makes her way into the market square and finds herself a nice little corner... not quite in the way, and way to narrow to set a stall - but more than enough to fit a girl, a fox, and some juggling equipment. It's not even about money, Kyra genuinely enjoys the hustle and bustle of the market... though, admittedly, some extra coin sure won't hurt. Not having to rely on the temple is always nice... but, most importantly... "hey, are you having fun?" she whispers to the fox - that is, to Rixi - with a wink, "we can do it any day, you know?"
Perform: [roll0]

Rixia performs as Kyra's accompaniment -- doing little trots and spins, hopping and fetching! She always melts down a little when asked about the performances afterwards, but there's no genuinely mistaking how much fun she's having. Kon, she lets out a little bark, nodding a few times.

[roll0]
Kyra's juggling and tricks seem to draw a few children at first, who just watch you both, either transfixed by Kyra's skill or chasing Rixia around. Soon, their parents come to pull them away, but are themselves impressed by the surprise show in the square. In no time, you have merchants tossing you copper and even an occasional silver. Three wealthy looking folks, probably mine owners if you were to guess, even toss a gold your way. With a few breaks and pauses just to relax, as well as to eat, you manage to collect a nice little pile of coins.
You two collect 3 gold, 35 silver, and 5 copper (most nearby shopkeeps are willing to swap copper for silver).

Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
"Ah... sorry ma'am... I don't really know anything about cooking, I thought it would work..." That was... severely embarassing. "I can help all you want me to! I just... don't know wha I'm doing so maybe simple stuff?" That painfully obvious blush crept back up Cooper's ears as he stood there awkwardly.

Niaka smiles at the blushing young elf. "Well there's no way you'll learn unless you have someone teach you."

For most of the afternoon, you work with the elven woman as she explains proper knife safety to you, how spices are something that have to be learned by experience and intuition, and cutting up vegetables for a sort of stew. After having you remove the stems and crush the tomatoes you picked up, she adds them to a wide pan, and adds some oil, and places it over the fire. "Tomatoes are really useful in dishes - lot's of interesting properties. When you cook them down, they become acidic and help soften other vegetables as well. If you add the spices to it when they break down, they infuse the other vegetables as well." Soon, the dish is at least partly prepped, and sits in a covered pan, and she begins working on some boules of bread. During that, she explains how yeast respond to sugar and warm water, and how this can be used to make bread fluffier. "One of the most important things in baking isn't actually the recipe itself - most people will just be happy with a good meal. Timing everything is at least as important. If bread comes out hot but a soup to go with it is burnt, the meal is ruined. That's why we worked on the first dish when we did - it takes the longest, but a lot of that time is spent waiting. Soups and stews, if you can avoid burning them, are easy to let sit over a small flame, and tend to only get better as the flavors mix. Bread takes time to rise, and then more time when you bake it, and is good hot or cold. The meat we'll cook later however will cool off really quickly, and tastes best when it's still hot, so we'll prepare it, but only cook it when it's actually time for dinner."

As you finish up, the sun is just beginning to noticeably dip. "That will do for now. I don't think Polemm needs you for anything. Don't worry about dinner later, I think that's a bit more complex. Thank you for your help, Cooper."

Merilan
2020-03-17, 03:54 PM
Rixia waits until no one is around after their show is done, and transforms back into her hybrid form, tail swishing about as she exhales a little tiredly. There's a scratch of her cheek as she glances away, saying, "I don't mind if you want to take my share... you were doing most of the work anyway," with just a bit of bashfulness. Though her ears wiggling up and down does seem to indicate that she enjoyed it.

"Shall we go have some food? I'm a little hungry..."

jamieth
2020-03-17, 04:14 PM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
At this point Kyra actually frowns, "Oh please. I wouldn't take the money even if it was true, but, you know, you actually helped a great deal... that if you ever want to do that again, you just need to ask. But you're right... I am a bit hungry, and, well..." she throws a gold coin in the air and catches it, "with these, we can afford a real feast! With enough to spare to treat other kids, and -" she doesn't finish her thought, "Anyway, that's a lot of money. Maybe it'll be better to save some of them... an audience that good doesn't happen often... but still. Anything you want to taste in particular?"

Merilan
2020-03-17, 04:23 PM
There's a quiet smile from Rixia as Kyra protests that she doesn't want to take her share of the money. "Okay... mm, well--" she looks just a bit more embarrassed. "I want something sweet. I wonder if there's a bakery somewhere? I've been craving a cake or something..." Looks like someone has a bit of a sweet tooth!

Jacior
2020-03-18, 08:49 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
Cooper milled about the common room for a bit. He wasn't sure what to do with the rest of his day. It was fairly common anymore to be sure. Having free time after years of constant fighting for survival was... a luxury he was ill equipped for. After loafing around for a bit, he decided to go for a walk. Maybe he'd find something to look at or a sncak he'd not been able to afford before.

Esprit15
2020-03-19, 02:23 AM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
Cooper milled about the common room for a bit. He wasn't sure what to do with the rest of his day. It was fairly common anymore to be sure. Having free time after years of constant fighting for survival was... a luxury he was ill equipped for. After loafing around for a bit, he decided to go for a walk. Maybe he'd find something to look at or a sncak he'd not been able to afford before.

You wander the town for a while, taking in the smells as shops and inns begin to prepare suppers. It would probably be another hour or two before Niaka actually served the dinner, which gave you not enough time to go to the Temple of Damien and return before nightfall but way too much time to wander around and get into the kind of trouble that only kids can get into.

As you wander around, you decide to take a shortcut through an alleyway that you remember to go to a bakery that if you remember correctly should be taking some sweets out of the oven around now. You take the turn and crawl over a few boxes and... Nope. Nope, that was the wrong way entirely. Actually... have you ever been in this alleyway before? You look back, but the boxes that you climbed over are just a bit too high to reach, and you're not entirely sure if they're heavy enough to not fall on top of you if you tried to jump and pull yourself up. Looking before and behind you, the alleyway seems to form a loose corridor, with crates, garbage, and sometimes just boards blocking off several other alleyways. The white sides of the building reflecting the setting sun adds an additional level of surrealness to what you would expect to be a dim and shaded alleyway.

Some footsteps that sound like running come from behind you and by street rat instinct, you pull to the side, getting as small and unnoticeable as you can behind the bit of wall that the crates still leave exposed. You see a man dressed in a faded cloak that clearly at one time was bright white dash past you, who either didn't see you or didn't care, and sprinted on ahead before turning a corner and disappearing.

YuweaCurtis
2020-03-19, 07:32 PM
Gloria would watch curiously as the boy left. He was unusual in appearance as well as mannerisms. Catching herself staring, she would shake her head before looking to see where her brother was. She would head over him, "That's the last set of loafs, I'm heading back. Stay out of trouble!" the last part obviously a tease. She lets out a long sigh before heading back.

jamieth
2020-03-20, 01:53 PM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
"Cake... cake would be nice, sure", Kyra thinks for a bit - it's not often that she's been eating cakes lately, but when her master was here? That's a different matter. "Sure", she nods, "I know a pretty good place nearby... at least I think it was that way... hm... yep, it's here", she nods, pointing to the Sweatheart bakery, "Now... what to choose, ehat to choose..."

Esprit15
2020-03-20, 03:40 PM
Gloria would watch curiously as the boy left. He was unusual in appearance as well as mannerisms. Catching herself staring, she would shake her head before looking to see where her brother was. She would head over him, "That's the last set of loafs, I'm heading back. Stay out of trouble!" the last part obviously a tease. She lets out a long sigh before heading back.

You don't manage to find your brother until you get back home, where he is helping bring in customers closer to the store. Handing over the coins, your mother seems pretty impressed with what you got in just a few hours. "Your father is in the back setting stuff out for the next batch. Good job on selling as much as you did."

You help your father bring out the last of the ingredients - including a white powder that made your family's shop more than a little famous. "Remember, Gloria, a good baker should always be multitasking - bread in the over, loaves rising, and making more dough." You start off by putting the most recently risen loaves in the oven, then covering the next loaves with a wet cloth and letting them rise. The recipe for bread itself you largely had down, though proper measuring was something you always struggle through. Still, you both get through making the next batch of bread dough relatively painlessly.

"Okay, now the hard part - the powder. Same family secret my father taught me, and his father taught him." It always off-put you just a bit, the recipe, which is probably why it never stuck firmly in your mind. By boiling down bones purchased from the butchery next door, and then mixing in soda ash and a few other ingredients, you would get a powder that helped bread to rise much more quickly. But, that also meant that, if you thought about it, the bread was made with bones, which... Other people didn't do that. You and him go over the recipe, but try as you might, you either do steps too early or too late, add too much or too little of something, and by an hour or two you're both just frustrated, with several batches of failed powder. "Well, the boy was always going to be the next baker anyways," you hear your dad mumble at one point as he goes to check on the bread in the oven. At that point, two girls walk in, just between the mid-day and evening rushes. Your brother meanwhile is pulling out some blueberry biscuits from the other oven.

Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
"Cake... cake would be nice, sure", Kyra thinks for a bit - it's not often that she's been eating cakes lately, but when her master was here? That's a different matter. "Sure", she nods, "I know a pretty good place nearby... at least I think it was that way... hm... yep, it's here", she nods, pointing to the Sweatheart bakery, "Now... what to choose, ehat to choose..."

A tall woman with chocolate brown hair and strikingly blue eyes greets you at the doorway. "And what can I get for you young ladies?" Her voice has just a twinge of accent that you recognize from those whose families came from the old Empire. You can just now catch a whiff of warm fruit, in addition to the almost overpowering smell of flour, bread, and... something you can't quite identify, save that it's a sharp scent.

Merilan
2020-03-20, 04:36 PM
Rixia -- who'd returned to hybrid form -- walks in with a slightly bashful look on her face, tail wagging the moment she catches a hint of warm fruit and baked goods. "Oh, it smells so good..." she admits. A pause, as her nose starts wrinkling just a bit. Except for that one with the strong scent! What could it be! "I want a slice of cake, do you have any?"

Esprit15
2020-03-20, 05:18 PM
Rixia -- who'd returned to hybrid form -- walks in with a slightly bashful look on her face, tail wagging the moment she catches a hint of warm fruit and baked goods. "Oh, it smells so good..." she admits. A pause, as her nose starts wrinkling just a bit. Except for that one with the strong scent! What could it be! "I want a slice of cake, do you have any?"

"Hm... Honey, are the cakes finished yet?" the woman calls into the kitchen. A stocky looking man, maybe a head shorter than his wife, peaks out.

"No, not quite. Was teaching Gloria the..." he pauses as he notices you two, "...recipe. Been taking a little longer than we thought, so that wound up slipping. But we do have some biscuits that just came out that are still warm. I can get on that, but it won't be soon."

YuweaCurtis
2020-03-20, 07:59 PM
Gloria would explain how she sold so much to her mother before going to the back with her father. She was plenty embarrassed when it came time to make the powder. It wasn't she didn't want to... It just wouldn't click. As much as she didn't particularly want to be a baker, it did hurt a bit to hear her father say the bit about her brother being the baker. She mostly didn't react physically, but it was still there. Seeing the cute animal girl does her her regain her composure though. She stays in the kitchen, but nosily looks at the two that just walked in.

Merilan
2020-03-20, 08:08 PM
"Ohh..." Rixia almost sounds disappointed, but doesn't want to sound too rude or anything. She was really looking forward to some! Biscuits, hmm? "Hmm, as long as they're sweet ones..." She doesn't quite catch someone peeking through the back, distracted at looking through the selection.

jamieth
2020-03-21, 05:49 AM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
"Sure, we'll take them", Kyra nods, almost without thinking, "and then... guess we'll come by later, and take the cakes as well, what do you think?" she winks to Rixi with a smile. Hey, nice things don't come too often, might as well enjoy them when they do. (Which might have something to do with the reason she never seems to be able to keep any money she ears, come to think of it...)

Jacior
2020-03-21, 09:58 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
Cooper looks at the last bit of cloak retreating around the corner and shakes his head a bit. "Strange people in strange places..." as much as his curiosity was growing, it was still smarter not to get involved. He waited a minute or so and then walked out of the alley to find the street again. Maybe better to not take any shortcuts right now... who knows what he was running from.

Merilan
2020-03-21, 10:13 PM
Rixia flushes a bit at Kyra's smile, scratching her cheek as her tail swishes even harder, left-right left-right. "Y-yeah, I suppose..." while trying to hide the fact that she's rather elated about it. "We'll put in an order for cake, then." She looks back to Kyra. "It'd be nice to take some home for the kids too."

Esprit15
2020-03-22, 11:50 PM
Gloria would explain how she sold so much to her mother before going to the back with her father. She was plenty embarrassed when it came time to make the powder. It wasn't she didn't want to... It just wouldn't click. As much as she didn't particularly want to be a baker, it did hurt a bit to hear her father say the bit about her brother being the baker. She mostly didn't react physically, but it was still there. Seeing the cute animal girl does her her regain her composure though. She stays in the kitchen, but nosily looks at the two that just walked in.
Your mother seems surprised at your initiative with finding ways to sell more. While there is mention of concern about cutting into profits, she does note that you managed to bring in more money today than yesterday, so it would probably be fine.

Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
"Sure, we'll take them", Kyra nods, almost without thinking, "and then... guess we'll come by later, and take the cakes as well, what do you think?" she winks to Rixi with a smile. Hey, nice things don't come too often, might as well enjoy them when they do. (Which might have something to do with the reason she never seems to be able to keep any money she ears, come to think of it...)

Rixia flushes a bit at Kyra's smile, scratching her cheek as her tail swishes even harder, left-right left-right. "Y-yeah, I suppose..." while trying to hide the fact that she's rather elated about it. "We'll put in an order for cake, then." She looks back to Kyra. "It'd be nice to take some home for the kids too."
"The biscuits will be two for a copper," she says with a smile. She does look at you two with a bit more of a strange eye though as you ask for a cake, and bounce between talking about one or multiple. "One whole cake will be five silver. Do you girls have enough money for that?"

Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
Cooper looks at the last bit of cloak retreating around the corner and shakes his head a bit. "Strange people in strange places..." as much as his curiosity was growing, it was still smarter not to get involved. He waited a minute or so and then walked out of the alley to find the street again. Maybe better to not take any shortcuts right now... who knows what he was running from.

Having a little more time to think, you manage to shove a stacked box enough that you can climb over the one it rests upon, and then over that. As you do, you notice a different man in a white robe come from the direction that the first man went. "Hey! What are you doing back here, kid?" he shouts, walking briskly over in your direction. You see that one of his hands moves toward a handle on his robe as he does so.

jamieth
2020-03-23, 01:13 AM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
Upon hearing the price, Kyra reaches into her bag and pulls a bunch of coins - coppers anda couple silvers - than makes a show of counting them and thinking... then, with a subtle motion of a hand, makes a single gold coin appear in her palm among the rest. "Hm, I think we'll take two."
Because Kyra just can't resist putting on a bit of a show when she gets the chance.
Sleight of hand for the coin-appearing trick: [roll0]

Esprit15
2020-03-23, 01:29 AM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
Upon hearing the price, Kyra reaches into her bag and pulls a bunch of coins - coppers anda couple silvers - than makes a show of counting them and thinking... then, with a subtle motion of a hand, makes a single gold coin appear in her palm among the rest. "Hm, I think we'll take two."
Because Kyra just can't resist putting on a bit of a show when she gets the chance.
Sleight of hand for the coin-appearing trick: [roll0]

Well, the trick would have been cool, if the gold coin underneath the other coins wasn't already partly visible before you move the other coins away from it. The baker raises an eyebrow, but returns back to her customer serving voice. "Well, that's certainly enough..." She sees to look you both up and down, especially Rixia. "It should take around an hour between baking and cooling, and another thirty minutes for decorating. Be back then. After two hours, it goes on sale to whoever wants a slice."

Jacior
2020-03-23, 07:52 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
The young, just getting out of being a street rat, elf had to try valiantly to not lunge over the boxes and escape the alley. "U-uh, Sir. I was looking for the bakery. I-I thought there was a shortcut down this alley, but I don't actually think I've been down this one before. I was going to get back on the road and go around the right way." It was perfectly, honestly, the truth. "I-is that a problem?"

Merilan
2020-03-23, 08:06 PM
Rixia can't help but puff up a bit in pride as Kyra produces the gold coin, and she expresses, "We impressed some nobles with our act today, that is for certain." She smiles a bit with a nod, saying, "Thank you." Then, back to Kyra, "And thank you to you too, Kyra. It wouldn't be possible without your help."

YuweaCurtis
2020-03-23, 08:14 PM
Given she wasn't doing anything at the moment, Gloria would check around the kitchen for anything that needed tending to as well as clean the area. At least she could do this much right.

Esprit15
2020-03-23, 09:32 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
The young, just getting out of being a street rat, elf had to try valiantly to not lunge over the boxes and escape the alley. "U-uh, Sir. I was looking for the bakery. I-I thought there was a shortcut down this alley, but I don't actually think I've been down this one before. I was going to get back on the road and go around the right way." It was perfectly, honestly, the truth. "I-is that a problem?"

The man, having caught up to you, relaxes slightly as he realizes that you really are just a lost kid. "Very well. Here, let me help." He gives a box a shove, making it way easier to get out. "Stay out of alleyways, kid. Some of them are really dangerous."

Jacior
2020-03-24, 01:23 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
"Yea, I know... been in enough to be a pretty good judge of that..." Cooper scrambled over the boxes onto the street and looked back, making sure he wasn't following him or anything. "What's going on today, feels so weird around here..." With a shake of his head and another look over his shoulder, he walked the street path to the bakery, feeling maybe he should just go home instead.

Esprit15
2020-03-24, 03:17 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
"Yea, I know... been in enough to be a pretty good judge of that..." Cooper scrambled over the boxes onto the street and looked back, making sure he wasn't following him or anything. "What's going on today, feels so weird around here..." With a shake of his head and another look over his shoulder, he walked the street path to the bakery, feeling maybe he should just go home instead.

You eventually find your way to the bakery, a small place. The smell of pastries has diminished slightly, having cooled, but it nevertheless still sets your stomach rumbling. A familiar, bald halfling man with ashen skin, who you know to be named Sifiso, greets you. "Evening Cooper," the halfling says somewhat flatly, as he always does.

Jacior
2020-03-24, 08:24 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
"Good evening Mr. Sifiso, smells good in here like always." Being inside made Cooper feel better after all of... whatever just happened. The smells helped to. "What's on the menu tonight? Anything interesting?"

Esprit15
2020-03-24, 09:39 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
"Good evening Mr. Sifiso, smells good in here like always." Being inside made Cooper feel better after all of... whatever just happened. The smells helped to. "What's on the menu tonight? Anything interesting?"

“For sweets, yes? Taro pats today, just finished frying them maybe... twenty minutes ago. The honey on them is just starting to harden into a shell.” You’ve spoken to Sifiso a few times. While his recipes from Jaari (a country that he says is to the East past the Blue Mountains) were never the most delicious, they always stuck out in your memory, which is what kept you coming back. Everywhere sold biscuits, cookies, and one place even sold fluffy cakes, but where else were you going to find something you had never tried before? “Two copper for one, or three for five.”

Jacior
2020-03-24, 10:16 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
Cooper nodded at the description, coming late actually served him well this time, it would be nice for it to have a crunch. "How about 7 for a silver? A-and I'll buy something else too? Something for the inn maybe? They're making something special tonight for a guest I think hes... a gnome from.. Caraht? O-or something like that." He was still unused to bartering, he didnt want to be thrown out.

Esprit15
2020-03-24, 10:27 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
Cooper nodded at the description, coming late actually served him well this time, it would be nice for it to have a crunch. "How about 7 for a silver? A-and I'll buy something else too? Something for the inn maybe? They're making something special tonight for a guest I think hes... a gnome from.. Caraht? O-or something like that." He was still unused to bartering, he didnt want to be thrown out.

“I suppose that would be fine,” the halfling says with a bit of a smile, though his tone remains unchanged. “Carhart, probably... Hm. Not sure our dishes would be compatible. You got anything in particular in mind? I baked some corn bread earlier that has yet to sell out. If you’re making soups or anything with juices, that’s all but guaranteed to go well.” Sifiso lets you think, stepping in the back to get the pats. He returns with a small serving basket that has seven palm-sized patties that sparkled with glazed honey. “Seven taro pars for a silver,” he says, setting the dessert items down.

Jacior
2020-03-24, 10:44 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
Cooper shook his head. "We made bread to go with dinner before I came out. Oh! Mrs. Polemm started teaching me how to cook, so maybe I'll be able to help more around the inn soon." He rubbed the back of his head awkwardly. "I messed up shopping for spices. So I kinda needed to help with the actual cooking. I feel like maybe I wasnt a big help." He pulled out the silver coin and placed it on the counter.

Esprit15
2020-03-24, 11:33 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
Cooper shook his head. "We made bread to go with dinner before I came out. Oh! Mrs. Polemm started teaching me how to cook, so maybe I'll be able to help more around the inn soon." He rubbed the back of his head awkwardly. "I messed up shopping for spices. So I kinda needed to help with the actual cooking. I feel like maybe I wasnt a big help." He pulled out the silver coin and placed it on the counter.

“Hm...” the halfling sighs, stroking his chin as though to pull gently on a beard. “If the issue is you helping in the kitchen, then I would say that you should help in the kitchen, rather than purchase something from me. If you’re still new to cooking, then I wouldn’t worry too much about spices. Just be willing to take feedback, and don’t be afraid to experiment a bit. Cooking is equal parts tradition and innovation.”

jamieth
2020-03-25, 12:46 AM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
"You know what else a good treat needs?" Kyra tilts her head, looking at Rixi with a mischievous smile, "A good place to enjoy it. We've two hours - what do you say we find ourselves a nice cozy rooftop? How are you at climbing?"

Merilan
2020-03-25, 03:49 AM
Rixia puffs up just a bit, even if her confidence isn't truly genuine. "Excuse me! I am a fox, you know," she tries playfully boasting. "Of course I would be a decent climber, even if I might not be as acrobatic as you..."

Esprit15
2020-03-25, 01:38 PM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
"You know what else a good treat needs?" Kyra tilts her head, looking at Rixi with a mischievous smile, "A good place to enjoy it. We've two hours - what do you say we find ourselves a nice cozy rooftop? How are you at climbing?"

Rixia puffs up just a bit, even if her confidence isn't truly genuine. "Excuse me! I am a fox, you know," she tries playfully boasting. "Of course I would be a decent climber, even if I might not be as acrobatic as you..."

It’s pretty easy to find a rooftop that you can get to, slightly less easy to find one that you think you’ll be able to get away with climbing on. You both head a bit north, to where the land rises slightly, and find an abandoned building that would be perfect.
Well climbers, how about some climb checks?

Merilan
2020-03-25, 01:59 PM
There's a smile to Kyra as Rixia stretches for a moment, then says, "Here I go!" In truth, she can't really remember the last time she did this, but it's good to test her limits...

[roll0]

Jacior
2020-03-25, 04:17 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
Cooper shook his head again. "I think she just wanted my help cause I messed up. I'll help again if she asks but I dunno if my talents lie in cooking, you know? I don't really... know that." He sighed and picked up the bag before his face started going red. "Taht was maybe a bit too much sharing. You have a good night Mr. Sifiso."

Outside, he fishes one of the pastries out of the bag and sniffing it first, takes a bite and starts walking back toward the inn, avoiding alleys this time. Strange people in strange places.

Esprit15
2020-03-25, 05:19 PM
There's a smile to Kyra as Rixia stretches for a moment, then says, "Here I go!" In truth, she can't really remember the last time she did this, but it's good to test her limits...

[roll0]
It's a bit of a challenge, climbing up the brick and stone building, but hopping into the window and then going from there is enough to get you within reach of the roof with not too much effort. The human might have a bit more trouble though.

Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
Cooper shook his head again. "I think she just wanted my help cause I messed up. I'll help again if she asks but I dunno if my talents lie in cooking, you know? I don't really... know that." He sighed and picked up the bag before his face started going red. "Taht was maybe a bit too much sharing. You have a good night Mr. Sifiso."

Outside, he fishes one of the pastries out of the bag and sniffing it first, takes a bite and starts walking back toward the inn, avoiding alleys this time. Strange people in strange places.

"Don't worry, I don't blabber to folks. Take care, kid," the man says, heading back inside.

The 'pats' are pretty good. The texture is interesting, like a mix between a dense bread and mashed potato, but pleasantly sweet before even accounting for the glaze. You still have to let it cool a little after taking a bite, but they might be something to try imitating later - with less sugar, they might be good alongside something savory.

Making your way back to the in, Niaka and Polemm are hard at work, the former bringing out food, the latter attending to travelers who are looking for a place to stay for the evening. "Ah, Island, welcome back!" You quickly find yourself swept into the evening rush, taking over for Niaka in bringing out food while she steps back in the kitchen to focus on cooking.

(Is there anything you plan to do for the evening? If not, you'll be on hold while the others get toward nightfall.)

jamieth
2020-03-26, 12:42 AM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
[COLOR=#800080]Kyra waits for a moment, checking on Rixi's progress - not that she doubted the fox girl's skills, but, you know, just in case - then follows suit, trusting her balance and coordination to pull through where pure strength wouldn't be enough... Climb: [roll0]

Esprit15
2020-03-26, 12:51 AM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
[COLOR=#800080]Kyra waits for a moment, checking on Rixi's progress - not that she doubted the fox girl's skills, but, you know, just in case - then follows suit, trusting her balance and coordination to pull through where pure strength wouldn't be enough... Climb: [roll0]

Unfortunately, you're just a little too short to reach the roof from the window perch. You try to stretch out to reach it and... oh no, that brick was loose!

Rixi, you see Kyra go head over teakettle as she tries to follow you up to the roof.

Merilan
2020-03-26, 12:54 AM
Rixia yelps as she watches that brick come loose, and throws her hand down the ledge to try to quickly grab hold of Kyra before she falls! "Kyra!"

jamieth
2020-03-28, 04:44 AM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
"Aaah!" Kyra lets out a surprised yell as the brick gives loose under her fingers - not really scared, it's not a fall to speak of, a couple bruises at worst... "Ouch!"
Still, as she gets up, the first thing she does is look upwards and meet Rixi's eyes, waving to the fox girl with s smile, though a bit of embarrassment on her cheeks.
"I'm fine, I'm fine, don't worry!"

After a couple more attempts, Kyra manages to find her way along the decrepit building and join Rixi on the roof, "So..." sehreaches into her bag ad pulls the bisquits out, "A bit crushed maybe, but should still be good, what do you think?"

Merilan
2020-03-29, 07:30 PM
Rixia's ears wilt gently as she looks to Kyra when she comes back up, murmuring, "My heart nearly jumped out of my mouth. I'm glad you're not badly hurt..." She looks towards the biscuits, then chuckles faintly as she takes one and says, "Mmm, it'd be nice to share it with you, up here."

She looks towards the stars for a moment, then says, "I always... liked looking to the stars for guidance."

Esprit15
2020-03-30, 09:34 PM
Rixia and Kyra
After your rooftop biscuits and chat, you enjoy watching the stars for a time, trying to find constellations - the Leviathan is the only one that you can easily find, the characteristic trail of stars stretching from the north of the sky down to past the horizon. Staring at its tail and wondering how far it continues, you realize how late it is getting, as the last vestiges of sunlight begin to disappear over the horizon. After carefully getting down from the roof, you make your way back to the temple. Being out so late, the bunks are full, but blanket spaces on the ground have been laid out. You both curl up in a spot by a window, attempting to let sleep take you of the night.

Unfortunately, an hour later, both of you can't seem to get to sleep. As the building fills with the snores of children and the elderly, you both lie awake, staring at the stars, having counted hundreds of sheep. Something in the back of both of your minds sits there, like a sense of cold unease.

Cooper
You spend the evening helping out the patrons. The four gnome guests that Polemm and Niaka mentioned seemed pleasantly surprised by the dish, and you find yourself busy late into the evening serving guests.

"It's clear that your chef learned about it by description, rather than recipe, which makes it more impressive how well it turned out. Let the purveyors know that we will be stopping by here in the future during our business, the short, black haired gnome says with a smile, placing a single, silvery metal piece of coinage on the table. It's noticeably smaller than a silver piece, though weighs the same amount. Etched into it are markings similar to the face of a clock. "I hope that will cover our meals and lodgings." It is nearly midnight when the patrons are either shuffled out into the streets or to their rooms by the closing bar.

"Thanks for the work again, Island," Polemm says, clapping you on the shoulder. "Glad I can count on you." As you finally get a chance to sit and eat your own meal, you feel a needling sensation in the back of your head, like that feeling when you think there's going to be one more step than there is.

Gloria
Quietly, you continue to go about your work, baking and selling. As evening rolls around you help make preparations for tomorrow - checking the yeast, making sure the pantry is free of pests, putting the traditional loaves out to rise overnight.

Your family discussion at dinner is generally lively, with your brother talking about the different visitors he saw while you two were selling in the square. Eventually, you all turn in for an early night, ready for the early morning tomorrow.

Except, as your parents have yet to discover, you don't go to bed right away. Slipping out of the bakery once everyone is clearly asleep, you check outside to make sure no town guards will give you trouble. You've noticed that they seem to randomly choose a section of town to enforce curfew in more heavily, which makes patrolling some nights easier than others. So far, you've done not much more than help a few homeless find a place to rest for the night, or in one case, break up a fight between two drunks. Not exactly the light in the darkness that you expected, but it's all work that helps people.

Tonight though, something feels different. The air has a surprising nip to it that is unusual in the summer, and the moon, though full, doesn't feel like it shines as bright as it usually does. You feel an instinctive unease that puts an additional haste in your step as you leave the house.

Merilan
2020-03-30, 09:42 PM
For once, Rixia sounds like she has something she really enjoys talking about -- pointing out individual stars, trying to find constellations, even as inexpert and amateurish as her observations can be. But before long, the night has come to pass, and they return to the temple...

Though sleep isn't meant to be. Stirring quietly and rising up, she rubs at her head to say, "I think I'm going to go for a night walk..." as she quietly slips out, not wanting to disturb people sleeping.

YuweaCurtis
2020-03-31, 07:57 PM
After quietly leaving the house, having thing prepared to help it be that way ahead of time, she looks for a quiet alley to transform in. After all, the Light was pretty flashy and she didn't want to draw any undue attention to herself. After finding a decent enough spot, she would transform, her outfit becoming green and blues and featuring a slated somewhat frilly skirt. Her weapons would form in her hands, but she puts them in a pair of sheaths that appear as needed. As she would a curious looking puffy wisp would appear beside her. Taking a breath, she would then look for a way to get on a roof so she could get a better view of the town.

jamieth
2020-04-01, 01:09 AM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
Yeah... no point in wasting more time... Kyra gets up and heads out as well... and quietly heads towards the tower of the Kelerth temple. What's the chance it isn't guarded during the night? Well, only one way to find out...

Jacior
2020-04-02, 07:30 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
Cooper was antsy. He'd finished eating, helped wash up, eaten two more of those weird pastry things. Now he found himself lying in bed, staring at the shadow the small lamp cast on the ceiling. He couldn't sleep. Couldn't even really consider closing his eyes to try. He'd stopped pacing in case he would disturb the other guests. Sitting up he looked at the room again. What was wrong? He should have gone to see his siblings today. He needed to take a walk.

With as much stealth as he was capable of summoning, he stepped over to the window and propped it open so it wouldn't lock him out after he climbed out and into the alley. After a moment, he went back in and grabbed his pack. Better to keep everything with him at all times. Stepping out into the night, he looked up at the stars and started walking again. Maybe stopping by the church would settle him.

Esprit15
2020-04-03, 05:36 AM
Rixia
As you walk through the crisp evening air, you initially just make a lap around the nearby section of buildings, enjoying the cool air and night sky and trying to push the uneasy feeling out of your mind. As you pass by a section of street in the town square, the feeling in your head suddenly becomes overwhelming, and you have to fight your urge to start running from... well, nothing. As you shake off the feeling, you begin looking around. There doesn't appear to be anything in the immediate area that would suggest danger.
If you would like, you may make a search check to do a more thorough search of the area.
As you look around a little more, you see a young, human girl with brown hair in a blue and green frilled dress. On her side are two scabbards with sheathed blades. She's familiar.

Gloria
You jog through town, looking for the source of that feeling in your head. It seems to ebb and flow as you move through the city, being most powerful as you walk down the center of the empty night road. Following it, you soon find yourself at the outer edge of the town square. In the distance, in the center of the square, you can see a familiar, pale, young girl with white hair and what appear to be animal ears poking up.

Kyra
You head out of the church and walk toward the bell tower in the distance. Outside, you see a single snow elf woman dressed in the familiar robes of a priest, looking more than a little bored at likely having been saddled with the night watch. As you look on at the building, wondering where might be a good place to climb without drawing the watcher's attention, you spot a young elven boy. The young elf seems to pause in front of the building, look up at it, and then seemingly out of nowhere breaks into a dead sprint away. A look of sheer terror is on his face.

Cooper
You head down the roadway toward the edge of town, pushing the discomfort out of your mind. The walk is a good ways. There was a reason, after all, that you didn't do it earlier when you were busy. As you cross roads, several time that sense of unease builds, but then flows away, like a wave lapping at the shores. As you walk past the clock tower, the building that also housed the Church of Kelerth, you look up at the scarred eye carved into the front of it. You could feel it watching over you, looking into you, like a... And then your chest grows tight. You feel your skin go cold, and fear grips you. Not knowing the source, you just start running as fast as your legs can carry you. Away! Away! You're not sure even what from but you just know that you have to get away!
Cooper panics for three rounds, or 18 seconds.

Merilan
2020-04-03, 05:55 AM
What is this? I haven't felt this afraid since... since father-- Rixia cuts off that thought well before it can creep into her heart as she moves, breathing a bit light as she looks around, finding no apparent sensation of danger... but she does spot a familiar-looking girl. She saw her before... was it the bakery? She's not certain.

But she looks different now, in a gorgeous dress and twin blades. "A-aren't you from...?"

For a brief moment, she hesitates on whether she should tip her hand, but she felt more worried unguarded. "Trigger," she states, and a starry flash envelops her; a billowing gown the colour and pattern of a starry night, adorned with stars and moons and suns, appears over her clothing.

And for her weapons -- a larger sword with a similar starlight pattern, with a strange gun-like handle and a shield in the form of a revolving orrery.

She puffs out a breath, and says, "Are you like... like me?" A pause. "My name's Rixia. Do you feel this as well? This awful sensation..."

Hopefully transforming is fine! 12 on Search, no plusses.

jamieth
2020-04-03, 01:37 PM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
Now, that certainly wasn't something Kyra expected to see... she ponders for a moment, trying to decide if there's any chance to stop the boy, but... he seems really determined to get away - and not really prone to noticing anything else. And that means, of course, thatKyra only has one way to find out what exactly scared the poor elf like so... Not finding out is out of the question. Not only her natural curiosity would kill her, but... she made a deal. And the wyrmling, somehow, fullilled their side of it... now, Kyra had to fulfill hers. if there was anything that scary in the town... she couldn't just turn away.
Looking around, and making sure no one sees... hopefully... she whispers, "Allez Hop!"

https://i.postimg.cc/nLs2Zxc4/Fool.jpg
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 17
A very different Kyra, clad in a bright jester's outfit, heads towards the building with a confidence some might say was foolish... but well, it only fit her current self.

YuweaCurtis
2020-04-05, 02:40 AM
As she finally finds a perch on a roof, it seems her guard had been let down as she gets spotted. She sighs, This feeling is so distracting... she would think, but would very soon be distracted momentarily by who had spotted her. Her face would brighten up as she hops down, taking any smaller ledges required to make sure the distance wouldn't break her legs. She closes in the space between them, but it obvious her actions are hostile. "Wow! You're so cute with your ears!" she squeals, "And you're like me too! Hi, I'm Gloria!" She would avoid touching the ears for now, she did have manners after all.

Merilan
2020-04-05, 02:48 AM
Rixia's calm facade lasts all of about five seconds when Gloria approaches and speaks about her ears. The fact that they perk up and start wiggling agitatedly -- not to mention her tail wagging from one side to another -- doesn't help matters. "W-well, it's nice to meet you, and thanks and all, but--" she glances around, puffing. "We'd best make sure we find whatever this is... perhaps a monster?"

YuweaCurtis
2020-04-06, 08:35 PM
Gloria grins when Rixia perks up, and takes it as license to pet her. The girl speaking up would knock her back to reality. Her face would get serious, looking as though she was being much more sensitive to her surroundings. "You're right. This is really unsual," she'd smile once more, "A monster you say? I haven't gotten to fight one of those. This power has felt mostly wasted on the few things I have done as a warrior of light."

Jacior
2020-04-06, 08:45 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
Cooper ran with all the speed he muster and that was not a subtle amount even in the dark. But the fear that had gripped his heart like nothing in the last years faded almost as soon as it came and with it died his running. Taking some deep breaths he turned back towards the square and the clocktower that drove him from it and frowned. "I don't need to be scared anymore. I'm not... weak." He stepped into the open space again, almost marching towards the clock tower. "I'm not going to be the same scared kid who runs and hides in the alleys every time anymore." He raised the arm with the harp bangle on it, the sound far more audible than it had been. "Raise voice in harmonious symphony!" The light that envelopped him for a moment was like looking into the distant starry sky before being left with a very dressed differently figure.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dz0IPLqU0AAdXnT.jpg
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Perhaps it was an overreaction to do this here and now, but whatever did that... couldn't be normal right? "I won't be afraid of you, whatever you are. So you can just give that up right now!"

Merilan
2020-04-06, 08:54 PM
There's a moment in which Rixia's face turns incredibly red as she gets petted, before she clears her throat as Gloria says she hasn't fought a monster before. "Mmm, well, with two of us, it's not going to be as dangerous..." She looks around, but doesn't seem to notice anything too unusual. "Still, I wonder if they're hidden... do you see anything?"

Esprit15
2020-04-09, 04:30 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13
Cooper ran with all the speed he muster and that was not a subtle amount even in the dark. But the fear that had gripped his heart like nothing in the last years faded almost as soon as it came and with it died his running. Taking some deep breaths he turned back towards the square and the clocktower that drove him from it and frowned. "I don't need to be scared anymore. I'm not... weak." He stepped into the open space again, almost marching towards the clock tower. "I'm not going to be the same scared kid who runs and hides in the alleys every time anymore." He raised the arm with the harp bangle on it, the sound far more audible than it had been. "Raise voice in harmonious symphony!" The light that envelopped him for a moment was like looking into the distant starry sky before being left with a very dressed differently figure.

Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Perhaps it was an overreaction to do this here and now, but whatever did that... couldn't be normal right? "I won't be afraid of you, whatever you are. So you can just give that up right now!"

The eye carving silently stares on, but nothing else seems to happen. The ominous feeling from the area seems to have entirely vanished, though.

Esprit15
2020-04-09, 05:43 PM
Gloria
At Rixia's prompting, you begin to look around for places that the source of that ominous feeling could be. Not the food stands, nothing in the immediate vicinity of the alleyways... And then it hits you. As a resident of the town, you remember some kids talking about rumors of the sealed off underground tunnels. You suspect that maybe that's where the feeling is coming from, and begin searching the ground...

About two feet from where Rixia is standing, you see a metal plate built into the stone that makes up the roadway, almost invisible from dirt buildup.

YuweaCurtis
2020-04-10, 12:52 AM
She kicks away the dirt from the face of the metal plate until she sees it's edges, "I've heard talk about a sealed off underground... Maybe what we feel is down there? This should be the way in. What do you think?"

Merilan
2020-04-10, 05:09 AM
Rixia blinks a few times as Gloria exposes a hidden passage, nodding as she glances around again. "Good catch... I didn't even know that was there." She pauses, then lowers her head. "Stay safe, Kyra..."

She looks to Gloria again. "It's worth investigating."

Esprit15
2020-04-10, 06:05 PM
She kicks away the dirt from the face of the metal plate until she sees it's edges, "I've heard talk about a sealed off underground... Maybe what we feel is down there? This should be the way in. What do you think?"

Rixia blinks a few times as Gloria exposes a hidden passage, nodding as she glances around again. "Good catch... I didn't even know that was there." She pauses, then lowers her head. "Stay safe, Kyra..."

She looks to Gloria again. "It's worth investigating."
Gloria tries to lift the plate, and immediately feels a pain in her back, letting go before she hurts herself. Rixia gently pushes Gloria aside and reaches two fingers into the hole in the center of the manhole. The magical girl flashes with a bright, lavender power and gives the plate a powerful heave, picking it up and quickly setting it down.

The smell that emanates is beyond foul, but you both quickly shake your heads as you peer into the darkness. You can hear the sound of water dripping, but the underground sewer is dark as a cave.

Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 13

Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17

As you stand in front of the church, a snow elven woman in dark robes suddenly runs up to you, looking rather shocked. "Who are you? Wh- why are you out so late at night? What- What was that?" she asks rapidly.

Merilan
2020-04-10, 08:02 PM
There's a scowl on Rixia's face after she helps lift the grate and says, "Agh, I knew it would smell horrible... no other way around it, however."

Jacior
2020-04-12, 04:13 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Behind the mask, Cooper's face blanched. "Uh... sorry Ma'am, private business!" Yeah that'd work. "There's been a... report of strange activity and the... inspector sent me out here to check it out. I don't know if you experienced it but when I approached the clock... tower eye? There as a compulsion for me to flee. So I need to... inspect that..."

Esprit15
2020-04-12, 08:21 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Behind the mask, Cooper's face blanched. "Uh... sorry Ma'am, private business!" Yeah that'd work. "There's been a... report of strange activity and the... inspector sent me out here to check it out. I don't know if you experienced it but when I approached the clock... tower eye? There as a compulsion for me to flee. So I need to... inspect that..."

The woman looks at you with extreme skepticism, but then smiles. "Reports you say? And just who is this inspector you work for?" Her tone reminds you of an adult playing along with a kid pretending. "No, I haven't noticed anything here, other than the general discomfort of being out at night. But I'll make sure to keep an eye out. That is why I'm here, after all."

YuweaCurtis
2020-04-12, 09:02 PM
There's a scowl on Rixia's face after she helps lift the grate and says, "Agh, I knew it would smell horrible... no other way around it, however."

Gloria winces and covers her face when the foul smell reaches her nostrils. "N-nice," she says, trying to ignore thr smell. "Sorry, raw strength isn't really my thing... Let's go?" She looks down, looking for a ladder or something.

Esprit15
2020-04-12, 10:42 PM

Gloria winces and covers her face when the foul smell reaches her nostrils. "N-nice," she says, trying to ignore thr smell. "Sorry, raw strength isn't really my thing... Let's go?" She looks down, looking for a ladder or something.

Indeed, there is a small ladder, leading about six feet down. Climbing down, only a small ring near you is illuminated by the light from the moon. The wall near you is built out of small bricks, though they're so layered in grime that the stone is impossible to identify. You have a narrow walkway that extends both ways into the darkness, maybe three feet wide. The far wall is just barely visible, about twenty feet away. Looking down into the waterway, the level right now is quite low, but the liquid down there also seems to be the main source of the foul scent that surrounds you.
Listen checks please in your next posts

Merilan
2020-04-13, 02:57 AM
"N-neither was it mine, until recently," Rixia does admit. She frowns quietly when she sees just how dark it is down there; she reaches to her pack and procures a lantern, filling it with some oil and lighting it. A pause, as she dispels the small starglobe within her hand and holds it instead. "All right." She descends to start investigating.

[roll0] Listen, and using a lantern to create some light.

Jacior
2020-04-13, 11:16 AM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
"Inspector... Taro. Yes." He tried not to look like he was totally clueless. "I will keep... inspecting. Good work with... guarding. Keep it up. I'm going... that way now. Have a good night." Cooper pointed randomly at an alley and started to walk that way.

Esprit15
2020-04-14, 04:24 AM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 13
Now, that certainly wasn't something Kyra expected to see... she ponders for a moment, trying to decide if there's any chance to stop the boy, but... he seems really determined to get away - and not really prone to noticing anything else. And that means, of course, thatKyra only has one way to find out what exactly scared the poor elf like so... Not finding out is out of the question. Not only her natural curiosity would kill her, but... she made a deal. And the wyrmling, somehow, fullilled their side of it... now, Kyra had to fulfill hers. if there was anything that scary in the town... she couldn't just turn away.
Looking around, and making sure no one sees... hopefully... she whispers, "Allez Hop!"

Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 17
A very different Kyra, clad in a bright jester's outfit, heads towards the building with a confidence some might say was foolish... but well, it only fit her current self.

You approach the building as the boy dressed in similar but different garb from you stumbles through some sort of explanation, and begins to run off, in your direction. (Continued below)

Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
"Inspector... Taro. Yes." He tried not to look like he was totally clueless. "I will keep... inspecting. Good work with... guarding. Keep it up. I'm going... that way now. Have a good night." Cooper pointed randomly at an alley and started to walk that way.

As you walk toward the alleyway, a human girl in an outfit that seems like it should belong to a jester emerges from that same alleyway. "So. Is she working for Mr. Taro as well? Or is it just coincidence that two strangely dressed kids are wandering the night?" the priest asks, her voice an equal mix of amusement and curiosity.

jamieth
2020-04-14, 04:44 AM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 17
Kyra takes a look at the newcomer, who doesn't look any less weird than she herself does, hears the question... and immediately shakes her head. "Coincidence. Complete coincidence. Ne er heard of any Mr. Taro." Lying about something like that would just be stupid. Who knows what the boy told the woman about Mr. Taro already, and her story certainly won't match... "I'm just... sight-seeing. Yes, sight-seeing. See, too many people around during the day..."

Esprit15
2020-04-14, 06:24 AM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 17
Kyra takes a look at the newcomer, who doesn't look any less weird than she herself does, hears the question... and immediately shakes her head. "Coincidence. Complete coincidence. Ne er heard of any Mr. Taro." Lying about something like that would just be stupid. Who knows what the boy told the woman about Mr. Taro already, and her story certainly won't match... "I'm just... sight-seeing. Yes, sight-seeing. See, too many people around during the day..."

"I've already been lied to by one child tonight - not to mention I have a son around your age, so I know when a child is lying to me," the white haired elf says, pressing her fingers to the bridge of her nose. She sighs. "Normally I would just help you kids back to your homes or beds, but... your manner of dress suggests to me that you are not simply kids out for a late night stroll.

"So, I'll ask again: Who are you? Why are you kids out so late? And why are you dressed like that? I'm not going to hurt you, I just want to know what's going on."

jamieth
2020-04-14, 06:52 AM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 17
"I'm not lying. I am sightseeing, and i was planning on taking a better look at the town. From the top of the clock tower, for example. Right now, though, the sight I'm most curious to see is the one that scared the boy that ran away from here just now. Because it is my town, and I do'nt like the idea of anything that scary being in it.

And don't you worry, I might be young, doesn't mean I'm helpless", Kyra smiles wildly, almost grins, "Trust me, I have at my command powers beyong even my own understanding"

Esprit15
2020-04-14, 06:58 AM
"You're looking at him, though I'm not sure what had him so panicked," she says, gesturing to the masked kid. "And the clock tower is just as forbidden to climb at night as it is during the day. Now, you half truthed your way through one of my questions, care to be more honest with the other two?"

Jacior
2020-04-14, 08:45 AM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Cooper looks at the jester kid blankly behind his mask. "I can honestly say I have no idea who that is. Look I dont know if I'm allowed to tell you anything the rules were... literally never explained. You just need to trust were not ne'er-do-wells... or at least I'm not. I really dont know them." He points at the other kid. "I just... was feeling antsy tonight and when I went for a walk the eye made me feel afraid so I ran, but I think it was magic so I came back but it seems like its gone."

Esprit15
2020-04-14, 09:19 AM
”Hm, well I don’t know what about the eye would frighten you. It’s the same symbol of Kelerth that has been up there since the church was founded. Maybe something just happened to coincide with you looking at it?

“Rules you say? And ‘Powers beyond your own understanding’ as well. You two are quite bad at making yourselves less suspicious, right? I don’t trust you because I don’t trust people that I don’t trust. It was one of our early lessons, back from when Kelerth was merely the god of survival.”
If you would like to make Religion and/or History checks, you may do so.

YuweaCurtis
2020-04-14, 01:52 PM
Gloria would carefully make her way down the ladder, pulling out the larger of her blades. The light was less than impressive and she probably should have brought a lantern herself. She looks around the best she can with the light they did have. "Which way you think we should go?

Search
[roll0]
Listen
[roll1]

Merilan
2020-04-16, 09:41 PM
"Did you hear that? To our right," Rixia frowns quietly, stepping forward with her own weapon drawn. She doesn't exactly want to go too deep lest they get lost -- she doesn't really have a lot of familiarity with these sewer systems.

YuweaCurtis
2020-04-18, 12:57 AM
"I heard it alright, wonder the chances it heard us? Either way come on unless you feel something else it's the only clue we have right now!" Perhaps she was a bit too gung-ho, but she didn't have anything to go on and she didn't want a potentially relevant .... Um? Person? Anyways she didn't want to lost them. She doesn't run however, just walks towards the direction of the sound, trying not to make too much herself.

Esprit15
2020-04-18, 06:50 AM
"Did you hear that? To our right," Rixia frowns quietly, stepping forward with her own weapon drawn. She doesn't exactly want to go too deep lest they get lost -- she doesn't really have a lot of familiarity with these sewer systems.

"I heard it alright, wonder the chances it heard us? Either way come on unless you feel something else it's the only clue we have right now!" Perhaps she was a bit too gung-ho, but she didn't have anything to go on and she didn't want a potentially relevant .... Um? Person? Anyways she didn't want to lost them. She doesn't run however, just walks towards the direction of the sound, trying not to make too much herself.

You both head down the pathway, quietly following the sound. After around five minutes, you hear the mumbling of two voices, though it is in a language none of you have ever heard before. The voice is also strained and raspy. Rixia, as she hears this, stops abruptly, causing Gloria to bump into her and let out a small yelp. Suddenly, the voices go quiet. You just barely hear a single mumbled word from there, and then more of those same footsteps, toward you, and they are not slow.
You have one round before combat begins. You're in a 20ft wide tunnel on a 5ft wide walkway, I'll get a map up later today.

Initiative
23 - Foul Smelling Undead
21 - Gloria
16 - Rixia
11 - Skeleton
10 - Undead

Merilan
2020-04-18, 07:01 AM
"Guess we can't avoid this..." Rixia hoists the blade over her shoulder and clicks the chamber into place. "I'll draw their attention!"

With a wave of her hand, a translucent, blue constellation trails from her finger to the undead, drawing their ire... and generating a field of power set to burst if they go for Gloria instead.

Using Stellar Challenge on Foul Smelling Undead and Undead
3d6 damage if challenge is ignored, -3 to attack rolls other than on Rixia

YuweaCurtis
2020-04-18, 07:30 AM
"Not sure that's necessary," Gloria says, drawing her other weapon. Then sheaths disappear as she does so and she rushes the sturdiest looking enemy. As gets to she momentarily goes into a low stance and flecks of light come off her and absorb into the ground.

Using Killing Fields (barrier) -
When a creature other than evoker takes damage, heal 1 point for every 6 dealt by attack..

Jacior
2020-04-18, 09:28 AM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Cooper sighs and gives the other magical... kid... jester? the side eye through his mask and throws his hands up. "Ok fine, the truth then. A month ago I made a deal with a silver dragon in a dream for magical power and now I have a suit of magical clothing I can summon and a magic harp." He raised up his left arm and the harp charm that was on the bracelet there jumped full sized into his hand, thrumming with some unknown melody. "And I've been using my power to fight... big rats and stuff for some coin. And now tonight all this weirdness has me on edge and I'm starting to think I'm not just supposed to fighting rats and I can't go back on my side of the deal so yeah. That's the truth. I dunno her deal but... today's been super weird so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a similar story."

jamieth
2020-04-18, 10:11 AM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 17
Hearing that, Kyra rolls her eyes, "You... you... Seriously, just because he didn't forbid us from talking about it... I think... doesn't mean it's OK to just go and reveal everything! And besides, you think anyone in their right mind would believe that story? Even though it's true, though. We made deals to protect his town, and I'm going to protect it no matter what. I'm not often being serious, you might have noticed, but I am perfectly serious when I'm saying this. And something did scare him, and it's obvious you have no idea what it was, so..." she grins as she pulls a set of juggling clubs seemingly out of thin air, "Let the experts handle it, would you?"

Esprit15
2020-04-18, 02:19 PM
"Guess we can't avoid this..." Rixia hoists the blade over her shoulder and clicks the chamber into place. "I'll draw their attention!"

With a wave of her hand, a translucent, blue constellation trails from her finger to the undead, drawing their ire... and generating a field of power set to burst if they go for Gloria instead.

Using Stellar Challenge on Foul Smelling Undead and Undead
3d6 damage if challenge is ignored, -3 to attack rolls other than on Rixia

"Not sure that's necessary," Gloria says, drawing her other weapon. Then sheaths disappear as she does so and she rushes the sturdiest looking enemy. As gets to she momentarily goes into a low stance and flecks of light come off her and absorb into the ground.

Using Killing Fields (barrier) -
When a creature other than evoker takes damage, heal 1 point for every 6 dealt by attack..

From out of the darkness, you see several humanoid forms begin to appear. One, unsettling but familiar, is that of a skeleton, walking as though it were alive, albeit slightly hunched over. It carries a wicked looking blade made of some sort of black material (Appraise, Knowledge Geography, or Knowledge History to ID). Behind it are two shambling corpses. Both are bleach white, as though all blood in their body has either drained or dried up, save for their faces, which are caked with dried blood. Their gate is quite unnatural, and their limbs seem to bend a little to far in ways they shouldn't. Both appear without clothing, though anything identifying on them has long since worn away. One of them, toward the back, is slightly taller, and shouts something at the other two. "Inon piltin, miktia!" It move a little closer, but stays toward the shadows.

(Knowledge Religion to ID undead)
MAP (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16-aVz799Hlp2V1oOYilIqOaqlPw1_fGqnyg8JkV5dOM/edit#gid=1048720795)

Initiative
21 - Gloria
16 - Rixia
11 - Skeleton
10 - Undead

Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Cooper sighs and gives the other magical... kid... jester? the side eye through his mask and throws his hands up. "Ok fine, the truth then. A month ago I made a deal with a silver dragon in a dream for magical power and now I have a suit of magical clothing I can summon and a magic harp." He raised up his left arm and the harp charm that was on the bracelet there jumped full sized into his hand, thrumming with some unknown melody. "And I've been using my power to fight... big rats and stuff for some coin. And now tonight all this weirdness has me on edge and I'm starting to think I'm not just supposed to fighting rats and I can't go back on my side of the deal so yeah. That's the truth. I dunno her deal but... today's been super weird so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a similar story."

Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 17
Hearing that, Kyra rolls her eyes, "You... you... Seriously, just because he didn't forbid us from talking about it... I think... doesn't mean it's OK to just go and reveal everything! And besides, you think anyone in their right mind would believe that story? Even though it's true, though. We made deals to protect his town, and I'm going to protect it no matter what. I'm not often being serious, you might have noticed, but I am perfectly serious when I'm saying this. And something did scare him, and it's obvious you have no idea what it was, so..." she grins as she pulls a set of juggling clubs seemingly out of thin air, "Let the experts handle it, would you?"

The woman stares at Cooper like, well, like an adult staring at a kid spinning a wild tale. You think you hear her mumbling something about 'damn dragon blooded mages' before rolling her eyes. "Fine, don't tell me then," she says finally. "But if there is one thing that we are good at, it's digging out the truth from liars, and I will absolutely be digging into what you kids are up to. Now, the library is closed here, and I've not seen anything weird tonight beyond you two. If you have no reason to bother me, then please, the other main church here is the one that houses children without a roof. Go bother them."

YuweaCurtis
2020-04-21, 10:26 PM
Gloria looks at the three and then picks her target. She rushes forward briefly surround by a small amount of cherry blossoms. She terminates her movement at the skeleton, carrying the momentum into her attacks, striking out in a outer cross formation. Her wisp would seem to shoot off a bit of itself, either at the skeleton or if it seems downed the next enemy over.

Manuevers Granted: Moment of Eternity, Beast Realm Brute Sword

Uses;
Moment of Eternity
Ancient Temple (Boost)
Level: Crusader 1, Swordsage 1, Warblade 1
Initiation Action: Swift action
Range: -
Target: you
Duration: 1 round
Save: none

There's no past. There's no future. There's only now, and it lasts forever. You gain a +1 Enhancement bonus on Attack rolls and damage rolls, and then one of either Skill Checks, Ability Checks, AC or saves, all bonus for every 4 ranks you have in Profession(Gardener). Alternatively you can gain a movement speed bonus of 5 feet for every 4 ranks in Profession (Gardener) you have for 1 round on top of the bonus to attack and damage.

+1 Attack, Damage and AC
Current AC 16

Blades
Attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]
Attack
[roll2]
Damage
[roll3]

Wisp
Touch Attack, 3 damage
[roll4]

Merilan
2020-04-22, 04:38 AM
Rixia hurries after Gloria, frowning as she throws her hand forward. "Stars, gather and protect us!" Once more, as she traced the air with her fingers, a small constellation would appear, creating a challenging geas on the Skeleton and Undead.

Standard: Using Stellar Challenge (Challenge rank 2, Power Blast) on the Skeleton and Undead. 3d6 damage if ignored, and -2 to attack rolls targetting anyone other than me.
Swift: Using Celestial Light. 12 temp HP for 2 rounds.

Esprit15
2020-04-22, 06:09 AM
Gloria looks at the three and then picks her target. She rushes forward briefly surround by a small amount of cherry blossoms. She terminates her movement at the skeleton, carrying the momentum into her attacks, striking out in a outer cross formation. Her wisp would seem to shoot off a bit of itself, either at the skeleton or if it seems downed the next enemy over.

Manuevers Granted: Moment of Eternity, Beast Realm Brute Sword

Uses;
Moment of Eternity
Ancient Temple (Boost)
Level: Crusader 1, Swordsage 1, Warblade 1
Initiation Action: Swift action
Range: -
Target: you
Duration: 1 round

There's no past. There's no future. There's only now, and it lasts forever. You gain a +1 Enhancement bonus on Attack rolls and damage rolls, and then one of either Skill Checks, Ability Checks, AC or saves, all bonus for every 4 ranks you have in Profession(Gardener). Alternatively you can gain a movement speed bonus of 5 feet for every 4 ranks in Profession (Gardener) you have for 1 round on top of the bonus to attack and damage.

+1 Attack, Damage and AC
Current AC 16

Blades
Attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]
Attack
[roll2]
Damage
[roll3]

Wisp
Touch Attack, 3 damage
[roll4]

Rixia hurries after Gloria, frowning as she throws her hand forward. "Stars, gather and protect us!" Once more, as she traced the air with her fingers, a small constellation would appear, creating a challenging geas on the Skeleton and Undead.

Standard: Using Stellar Challenge (Challenge rank 2, Power Blast) on the Skeleton and Undead. 3d6 damage if ignored, and -2 to attack rolls targetting anyone other than me.
Swift: Using Celestial Light. 12 temp HP for 2 rounds.

The skeleton swings a hand at Gloria, disregarding the sigil that glows on its chest. With a loud crack the sigil shatters, and with it, the skeleton. As the bones clatter to the ground, the one undead looks to the other. "Ni yeuatl uel't yaochiua..." it says to the other, looking slightly confused. "Chimalli," the other replies. Nodding, the apparently subordinate undead moves into Gloria's path, trying to keep her away from its boss without actively harming someone other than the sigil's creator.

The other undead, as it steps closer to both of you, gives off an overwhelming aura of rot and decay, made all the worse by the still rancid sewer. Gloria is sickened for 9 minutes while Rixia is sickened for 8 minutes. It takes two slow steps in the water, before suddenly lunging out at Rixia. Its jaws only manage to grab into your armor, which throws off its first claw swipe, but the second runs across your face, dealing 3 slashing damage. As it cuts you, you feel a deathly chill run through your body, though you overcome it.
MAP (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16-aVz799Hlp2V1oOYilIqOaqlPw1_fGqnyg8JkV5dOM/edit#gid=1048720795)

Initiative
21 - Gloria
16 - Rixia
10 - Undead

YuweaCurtis
2020-04-22, 06:13 PM
Instinctively an arm goes up to cover her nose, but does her best to ignore the rancid smell and attack the undead near her. She atracks, bring both blades to bare and being followed up by the wisp shooting off another portion of itself.

Netherworld Reflection Slash gained at end of last turn.

Blades
Attack 1
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]
Attack 2
[roll2]
Damage
[roll3]

Merilan
2020-04-22, 10:21 PM
Rixia grimaces as she wheezes, "This stench is unbearable... gotta finish it fast... let's go!" The magical girl thrusts her sword forward, her finger squeezing its trigger as a bright burst of shimmering blue flame erupts from the mechanism and envelops the blade.

Swift - Asterism Drive (+4 Str for 2 rounds) (3m)
Standard - Starlight Divide on Foul Smelling Undead - +3d6 fire damage if it hits (3m)
[roll0]
[roll1] damage + [roll2] fire damage

Esprit15
2020-04-23, 12:34 AM
Instinctively an arm goes up to cover her nose, but does her best to ignore the rancid smell and attack the undead near her. She atracks, bring both blades to bare and being followed up by the wisp shooting off another portion of itself.

Netherworld Reflection Slash gained at end of last turn.

Blades
Attack 1
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]
Attack 2
[roll2]
Damage
[roll3]

Rixia grimaces as she wheezes, "This stench is unbearable... gotta finish it fast... let's go!" The magical girl thrusts her sword forward, her finger squeezing its trigger as a bright burst of shimmering blue flame erupts from the mechanism and envelops the blade.

Standard - Starlight Divide on Foul Smelling Undead - +3d6 fire damage if it hits (3m)
[roll0]
[roll1] damage + [roll2] fire damage

Gloria's first strike connects solidly with the undead creature, who is reels from the attack, just far enough that your second slash goes wide. The spectral presence near you fires a burst of energy that, while weaker than last time, still causes some frost to collect on the creature. The humanoid leaps right back in your face though, clawing feebly at your armor.

Rixia's attack goes just to the side of the foul smelling undead as a wave of nausea rolls over her from the putrid scent. The creature bites at you, but you manage to block it with your still slightly glowing sword. You smile, but then grunt in pain as you feel a sharp pain on one side, then the other. You look down, and see both of the creature's claws buried in your sides, one of them perilously close to your lungs. You open your mouth to scream in pain, but barely more than a grunt comes out as you feel your muscles seize up. Fear begins to seep into your mind as the reality sets in that this is not just some animal, but an intelligent and deadly being before you. You are paralyzed for 2 rounds. You take 14 slashing damage from the two claw attacks.

Jacior
2020-04-23, 07:23 AM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Cooper just shook his head, people were strange even when you tell the truth. "Ok, yeah. We'll go now. Uh have a good night?" He glances over at the... magic juggler? "Let's... go?"

jamieth
2020-04-24, 08:53 PM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 17
"Guess so", Kyra agrees with a sigh, "Let's go find some other threat to save the town from... Look, what was it about that eye-symbol-thingie? I mean... I can see it from here, and it doesn't look scary..."

Esprit15
2020-04-26, 04:18 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Cooper just shook his head, people were strange even when you tell the truth. "Ok, yeah. We'll go now. Uh have a good night?" He glances over at the... magic juggler? "Let's... go?"

Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 17
"Guess so", Kyra agrees with a sigh, "Let's go find some other threat to save the town from... Look, what was it about that eye-symbol-thingie? I mean... I can see it from here, and it doesn't look scary..."

You leave the church, its now annoyed guard watching you two carefully as you leave. As you pass through streets, you get intermittent chills from seemingly nowhere, though never the same overpowering fear that Cooper felt earlier. As you both talk (or don't), you reach the main town square, and again that chill feeling hits you briefly before passing again. The area itself it silent, save for a gentle evening breeze. Kyra notices that off in the distance a hole cover that you had never even noticed before was removed... Strange. Neither of you in your time here had heard about an undeground to the city. That said, Kern was built on ruins, so it's not impossible either.

Jacior
2020-04-29, 01:34 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Cooper waits until they're out of reach of the guard's hearing before talking to the new girl. "Look, it wasn't the eye itself. It was... magic that did it. I think there was... something up there. But it moved or left. I don't know. We have magic powers from a dragon I'm not discounting anything anymore. Speaking of which, what's your story? I've been doing this for almost a month and this is the first time I've seen anyone who can... do what I can." When the shiver came as they walked, he stopped and pointed up at nothing. "That. Right there. But a lot worse. There's something going on tonight. I've been on edge all day."

When she points out the uncovered hole, he shakes his head slightly. "I've lived here forever and not seen that... Silver to gold that's where whatever is going on is... should we... do somethign about it?"

jamieth
2020-04-29, 02:06 PM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 17
"Eh, I thought I'm on my own as well", Kyra nods, "And, yes, it's been about a month... Before that? Yeah, I've been on my own. Just a street urchin... a juggler, an acrobat... sometimes a pickpocket when things were touch", she grins with no slightest regret about resorting to stealing. "Well... you heard about the orphanage in the temple? That's our dragon friend's doing, so... at least I know he was legit. Now it's our end of the deal to hold..."

"I'd say we better", Kyra nods, looking down. "Hm... seems deep. One moment..."
Reaching into her bag, she produces a coiled rope, and a hook. "Is there something to fix it to..."

After tying the rope to a hook, and fixing it to the... whatever nearby spot she would find most safe, Kyra, without a shodow of doubt, jumps into the hole - while holding the rope, obviously.
Take 10 on Climb for a total of 22

Esprit15
2020-04-29, 03:14 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Cooper waits until they're out of reach of the guard's hearing before talking to the new girl. "Look, it wasn't the eye itself. It was... magic that did it. I think there was... something up there. But it moved or left. I don't know. We have magic powers from a dragon I'm not discounting anything anymore. Speaking of which, what's your story? I've been doing this for almost a month and this is the first time I've seen anyone who can... do what I can." When the shiver came as they walked, he stopped and pointed up at nothing. "That. Right there. But a lot worse. There's something going on tonight. I've been on edge all day."

When she points out the uncovered hole, he shakes his head slightly. "I've lived here forever and not seen that... Silver to gold that's where whatever is going on is... should we... do somethign about it?"

Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 17
"Eh, I thought I'm on my own as well", Kyra nods, "And, yes, it's been about a month... Before that? Yeah, I've been on my own. Just a street urchin... a juggler, an acrobat... sometimes a pickpocket when things were touch", she grins with no slightest regret about resorting to stealing. "Well... you heard about the orphanage in the temple? That's our dragon friend's doing, so... at least I know he was legit. Now it's our end of the deal to hold..."

"I'd say we better", Kyra nods, looking down. "Hm... seems deep. One moment..."
Reaching into her bag, she produces a coiled rope, and a hook. "Is there something to fix it to..."

After tying the rope to a hook, and fixing it to the... whatever nearby spot she would find most safe, Kyra, without a shodow of doubt, jumps into the hole - while holding the rope, obviously.
Take 10 on Climb for a total of 22

You affix your rope to the side opposite the ladder, and lower yourself down the ten feet to the ground, which appears to be a long, flat, single rock, cut at a sharp corner to the side and disappearing into the gloom in front and behind you. The ground and walls have a layer of foul smelling grime that turns your stomachs. Peering over, you see a thin layer of murky water that is largely stagnant. Kyra's human eyes can't manage it, but Cooper can just barely see the other side of the hall, a similar walkway made of a similar piece of stone.
Fort saves for smell.

Search and Listen checks in your next post, please. And will you be lighting your way, or just proceeding slowly with your armor and weapon glow?

Jacior
2020-05-01, 12:21 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Cooper shook his head and sighed, climbing down the ladder and pulling a torch from his pack and lighting it. "You're a little reckless, yes? Maybe not a great... idea." He hurked a little bit behind his mask. "It's awful down here." He looks around in the dim sewer. "I guess follow the path? One moment though." The harp reappears in his hands and he plays a soft, almost mournful melody as the air shimmers next to him and a figure appears, illuminated in the dark. "Step lightly, Alfric. This is different now." The second being stood silently and didn't respond.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

jamieth
2020-05-01, 12:55 PM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 17
"Thanks", Kyra says, completely sincerely taking "reckless" as a compliment, as she struggles to smile without letting much of the air into her mouth. "I smelled worse, but... you're right."

"That's your magic?" she asks, as Cooper summons a glowing figure, "Interesting..."

Unfortunately, watching Cooper's "show" means she's not really looking around... not to the extent someone going through unknown parts of the sewers should, anyway.
Search: [roll0]

Esprit15
2020-05-01, 01:37 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Cooper shook his head and sighed, climbing down the ladder and pulling a torch from his pack and lighting it. "You're a little reckless, yes? Maybe not a great... idea." He hurked a little bit behind his mask. "It's awful down here." He looks around in the dim sewer. "I guess follow the path? One moment though." The harp reappears in his hands and he plays a soft, almost mournful melody as the air shimmers next to him and a figure appears, illuminated in the dark. "Step lightly, Alfric. This is different now." The second being stood silently and didn't respond.

Spot: [roll0]

Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 17
"Thanks", Kyra says, completely sincerely taking "reckless" as a compliment, as she struggles to smile without letting much of the air into her mouth. "I smelled worse, but... you're right."

"That's your magic?" she asks, as Curtis summons a glowing figure, "Interesting..."

Unfortunately, watching Curtis's "show" means she's not really looking around... not to the extent someone going through unknown parts of the sewers should, anyway.
Search: [roll0]

Off in the distance, Cooper catches the sound of... something. It sounds similar to the sounds you would hear when getting meat from the butchers for Polemm, sans the wood block. Focusing a bit more, you can just barely hear a human voice as well. They're further down to the right, somewhere.

Jacior
2020-05-02, 07:23 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
He looks at his jester counterpart. "... Yes... I guess I shouldn't assume that you have the same kind. Alfric is strong and he can take the front point... I think there's fighting down that path." He gestured towards the right path. "Or... butchery. And someone's talking."

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/685853477754241047/705822313895166013/d85y6is-1af96e2d-6dd1-4e65-8a92-4f3d4b408f43.png

YuweaCurtis
2020-05-06, 01:45 AM
Gloria's first strike connects solidly with the undead creature, who is reels from the attack, just far enough that your second slash goes wide. The spectral presence near you fires a burst of energy that, while weaker than last time, still causes some frost to collect on the creature. The humanoid leaps right back in your face though, clawing feebly at your armor.

Rixia's attack goes just to the side of the foul smelling undead as a wave of nausea rolls over her from the putrid scent. The creature bites at you, but you manage to block it with your still slightly glowing sword. You smile, but then grunt in pain as you feel a sharp pain on one side, then the other. You look down, and see both of the creature's claws buried in your sides, one of them perilously close to your lungs. You open your mouth to scream in pain, but barely more than a grunt comes out as you feel your muscles seize up. Fear begins to seep into your mind as the reality sets in that this is not just some animal, but an intelligent and deadly being before you. You are paralyzed for 2 rounds. You take 14 slashing damage from the two claw attacks.

Noticing something was wrong, Gloria decides to hasten the demise of the corpse in front of her... Or at least attempt to. Drawing on her inner light, it pours out her right arm as blue energy and spirals down it to radiate off the blade of her weapon. Holding both blades over her head, she mercilessly chops down in a manuever that makes her seem as if she where a beast herself.

Spirit Blade; swift action, 2 motes, +2d6 to next attack

Beast Realm Brute Sword:
Ancient Temple (Strike)
Level: Crusader 2, Swordsage 2, Warblade 2
Initiation Action: Standard action
Range: melee
Target: up to two opponents.
Duration: instantaneous

Certain tasks demand less elegant solutions

Make one basic melee attack with each of your Youkai-Forged blades. You may perform a sunder, trip, disarm or bullrush atempt as a free action without provoking attacks of opportunity against each opponent hit.

Alternatively, you may target both attacks against a single opponent. If you hit with both, you may perform a sunder, trip, disarm or bullrush atempt as a free action without provoking attacks of opportunity, and you gain a bonus on all rolls of the chosen combat maneuver equal to the number of ranks you have in Profession(Gardener).

If you use this maneuver in an inanimate object or plant, you may make a single profession (Gardener) check on it, counting as if you had worked one week on the task.

Items sundered by Beast Realm Brute Sword turn into beatiful exotic flowers that wither extremely slowly and are worth as much as the destroyed item on the open market.

Attack 1
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

Attack
[roll2]
Damage
[roll3]

Trip Attempt
[roll4]

Wisp Attack
[roll5]
Wisp Damage

Esprit15
2020-05-06, 02:24 AM
Noticing something was wrong, Gloria decides to hasten the demise of the corpse in front of her... Or at least attempt to. Drawing on her inner light, it pours out her right arm as blue energy and spirals down it to radiate off the blade of her weapon. Holding both blades over her head, she mercilessly chops down in a manuever that makes her seem as if she where a beast herself.

Spirit Blade; swift action, 2 motes, +2d6 to next attack

Beast Realm Brute Sword:
Ancient Temple (Strike)
Level: Crusader 2, Swordsage 2, Warblade 2
Initiation Action: Standard action
Range: melee
Target: up to two opponents.
Duration: instantaneous

Certain tasks demand less elegant solutions

Make one basic melee attack with each of your Youkai-Forged blades. You may perform a sunder, trip, disarm or bullrush atempt as a free action without provoking attacks of opportunity against each opponent hit.

Alternatively, you may target both attacks against a single opponent. If you hit with both, you may perform a sunder, trip, disarm or bullrush atempt as a free action without provoking attacks of opportunity, and you gain a bonus on all rolls of the chosen combat maneuver equal to the number of ranks you have in Profession(Gardener).

If you use this maneuver in an inanimate object or plant, you may make a single profession (Gardener) check on it, counting as if you had worked one week on the task.

Items sundered by Beast Realm Brute Sword turn into beatiful exotic flowers that wither extremely slowly and are worth as much as the destroyed item on the open market.

Attack 1
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

Attack
[roll2]
Damage
[roll3]

Trip Attempt
[roll4]

Wisp Attack
[roll5]
Wisp Damage

You swing aggressively with your main blade, but telegraph your attack from a mile away, and the ghoul barely has to move to avoid it. Your second blade though strikes true, right at the neck, though, wedging itself in the front of the spine. You panic for a second as the blade gets stuck, but your wisp comes through, shooting a small ray of cold that freezes the spine and causes the vertebra that your sword is caught in to shatter. The ghoul slumps to the ground, once again dead.

"Axkan, teuatl..." the other humanoid hisses, stepping now toward you and swinging its fetid claws, which you effortlessly dodge... right toward the ghast's foul teeth. It bites into your shoulder, its last rotting teeth breaking skin. You feel your arm begin to tense up, but you quickly begin to move it and fight off the numb sensation. You take 6 piercing damage. Rixia has 1 round of paralysis remaining.

YuweaCurtis
2020-05-06, 09:06 PM
You swing aggressively with your main blade, but telegraph your attack from a mile away, and the ghoul barely has to move to avoid it. Your second blade though strikes true, right at the neck, though, wedging itself in the front of the spine. You panic for a second as the blade gets stuck, but your wisp comes through, shooting a small ray of cold that freezes the spine and causes the vertebra that your sword is caught in to shatter. The ghoul slumps to the ground, once again dead.

"Axkan, teuatl..." the other humanoid hisses, stepping now toward you and swinging its fetid claws, which you effortlessly dodge... right toward the ghast's foul teeth. It bites into your shoulder, its last rotting teeth breaking skin. You feel your arm begin to tense up, but you quickly begin to move it and fight off the numb sensation. You take 6 piercing damage. Rixia has 1 round of paralysis remaining.

She hardly winces, and energy streams back around her arm as she attacks with the blade in he main hand.

200 Hell Realm Flowers in 1 Slash is added to pool.

Steely Resolve (Crusader) delays 5 damage to next round, Furious Counterstrike adds 1 to my attack and damage.

Using Spirit Blade again at the cost of 2 motes.

Current HP: 29/30

Attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

Wisp Touch Attack
[roll2]
3 cold damage

Esprit15
2020-05-06, 09:37 PM
The ghast is nearly bisected by your strike, the only thing keeping it together appearing to be malice and a bit of spine. Growing desperate, the creature bites at you again, tearing this time into your other shoulder for 10 piercing damage. Rixia's muscles finally relax, and the hengeyoukai is free to move again.

Merilan
2020-05-06, 09:40 PM
Rixia finally slips loose as she trembles for a moment, murmuring, "That was extremely dangerous... come on-- come on!"

She draws her blade back and sends it forward for one more powerful thrust -- drawing on the trigger mechanism to cause an explosion as it happens.

Move - NE of Ghoul
[roll0] (+2 for flanking
[roll1] + [roll2] fire damage

Spot - 9

YuweaCurtis
2020-05-06, 10:18 PM
"You're alright?" Gloria says, sheathing her off hand weapon while once again calling the spiritual light to her main weapon. She would come across with a slash.

Delaying 5 damage

Current HP: 19/30

Spirit Blade for 2 motes

Attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

Wisp Touch Attack
[roll2]

Esprit15
2020-05-06, 11:22 PM
This time, you cleave right through the ghast, the upper body reaching out for you as it falls into the murky water, landing inert next to Rixia and splashing the girl with... well, best not to think about that. The tunnel becomes strangely quiet again now that the fighting is over.
650XP

Cooper and Kyra
You hear a sharp and quick explosion off in the distance, and a few seconds later, a splash as you keep moving forward. Turning a corner, you see a lantern sitting down the way by another corner.

(Both groups are effectively united)

Merilan
2020-05-06, 11:33 PM
There's a tremble from Rixia as she lets out a breath and murmurs, "Ah, geez... I'm still not used to this... if you weren't here, I'd be definitely..." She doesn't follow that up.

YuweaCurtis
2020-05-07, 12:03 AM
Gloria slimes, "That's good to hear. Let's get going, hopefully that was all of them. I hate to admit it but they got me pretty good..." right before she says the last part, her wound would seem to open up a bit more almost as if it has a mind of its own. If Rixia reacts to this she'd follow up with, "Yep, pretty good... Don't worry about that. When I do get to fight I get caught up in the moment. But it's like my body does as well. Like both me and it forget about injuries."

HP: 14/30

Esprit15
2020-05-07, 12:29 AM
As Rixia steps out of the water, the light reveals dozens of small, black, slug-like creatures clinging to her from the knees down. Particularly unnerving is that they seem to be leaking a red fluid that drips down your legs and into the water.
Rixia has lost 9 HP and has suffered 2 CON damage from the creatures, though doesn't feel any pain. They are still attached.

Jacior
2020-05-08, 10:28 AM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Cooper is preceded by glowing blue figure and the torchlight as they came around the corner. "Hello? Who's there? I'm warning you, you don't want to fight us! We just want to talk."

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/685853477754241047/705822313895166013/d85y6is-1af96e2d-6dd1-4e65-8a92-4f3d4b408f43.png

Merilan
2020-05-09, 04:09 PM
Rixia's eyes widen as she stares towards her legs and exclaims, "Agh! Ugh, this is the worst..." She looks towards the distance. "Uh-- we also don't... want to fight!" She slumps against the wall to murmur, "Let's try to fix this..."

She first layers her magic to protect herself, then tries turning into a fox to dislodge her attackers, scampering away quickly.

Putting 12 temp HP on myself with Celestial Light, then turning into a hengeyokai to shift form to try to dislodge them?

Esprit15
2020-05-09, 04:25 PM
Some of the leeches fall off, but not many. The creatures continue to ooze red as they drink Rixia's blood, their heads firmly burrowed in her skin. Rixia takes 5 damage and 1 CON damage.

Merilan
2020-05-09, 05:01 PM
There's a bigger grimace as Rixia transforms back and starts just pulling off the rest. "C'mon, c'mon..."

Full round action to remove the leeches

jamieth
2020-05-09, 05:29 PM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 17
Turning a corner, Kyra is... confused momentarily by the sight of two unknown, but clearly magical girls... wait... unknown? Pretty sure one of them is Rixi! And she never told me?! Well, sure, neither did I, but still... struggling with... what looks like a particularly fat leeches?
Luckily, she comes back to her senses just as Rixi finishes pulling the leeches off, and... shouting, "You better believe, I have tricks up my sleeve!", Kyra spins in place.

https://i.postimg.cc/nrsnf9dj/Magician.jpg
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 17
And yet another version of her - different from both her normal look, and the jester she became just earlier, stands in front of the leeches - this one wearing a colorful top hat that she pulls off and gives it a wide swing, letting a rain of slowing dust to flow out of it and onto the leeches. Rain that, it seems... does absolutely nothing to harm -- or even hinder - the nasty parasites.
"Now", the Magician grins, "hit them with whatever you have!"
Free action - Change persona: Magician
Standart - Evoke Glitterdust. Creatures within 10 feet radius (ideally placed so as to not hit PCs) get a delayed [roll0] damage that will trigger once they take damage.
(Please note that Kyra can cancel this additional damage the moment it would trigger, so even if PCs are affected...)

Jacior
2020-05-11, 08:50 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Cooper and the glowing figure stood off to the side, watching. "Are those... leeches? What are you... doing down here?" Passing the torch to Alfric, he strummed on the harp, small bits of magic crystallizing before darting off to strike less than harmlessly against the... additional two? Were there really four of them who'd made deals with the dragon?

Heals: [roll0] damage, can strike a target within 90 feet

Merilan
2020-05-11, 09:04 PM
Rixia first seems taken aback as she looks to the girl and nearly blurts out, "K-Kyra? What are you... doing here?" She looks down at herself, sighing as Cooper asks a question. There's a soft sigh of relief as the healing washes over her.

"Well, I was investigating the unpleasant feeling I got tonight. I ran into Gloria, and... well, we faced a really nasty enemy down here. Leeches ontop of that."

YuweaCurtis
2020-05-12, 03:50 PM
Seeing that Rixia was already being helped and there wasn't much she could do herself, Gloria would check herself for leeches as well.

"We found some undead and took care of them... she adds to the explanation, looking at the other two if she found no leeches. "How are there so many of us and we never ran into each other?"

Jacior
2020-05-15, 10:47 AM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
"It's not a small place... and I've made it a point to try and not be all that noticed." Cooper says, gripping the harp reflexively. "That's why I'm out too... I was home and I couldn't shake some... anxiety. I went out for a walk... there was something in the eye of the clocktower. It made me very afraid. I'm... I think it's probably down here... I'm believing less in coincidence tonight."

jamieth
2020-05-15, 04:43 PM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 17
"Pretty much that", Kyra nods, "and I... well, I did want to climb the clocktower. See, I thought it'll be a good place to look over the town... see if there's something wrong that can need my help... and... well. Undead, you say? That... we sure need to look at. And, I guess, better stick together from now on..."

Merilan
2020-05-17, 03:56 AM
Rixia lets out a soft sigh and puts her hands behind her back for a moment. "I'm in agreement with that. But, ah, I feel a lot more confident now that we're all here." She smiles a bit wider at Kyra and says, "I can't believe we managed to just miss each other like that all this time."

She looks to Cooper and Gloria, and decides it's a good time to do proper introductions. "I'm Rixia - it's nice to meet you."

Jacior
2020-05-17, 08:46 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Cooper hesitates for a moment. "Uh... Cooper. And this is Alfric." He gsetures to the tall blue figure holding the torch. He nods his head in response. "He doesn't really talk."

Jacior
2020-05-23, 09:04 AM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Standing awkwardly for a moment, Cooper plucks randomly at his harp. "So I guess we should find out what's going on huh? You came from that way right? Is there anything more down there or should we search to the left?" He asks the girls who had fought the undead.

Esprit15
2020-05-28, 04:35 PM
Looking around the sewer, and being reluctant to investigate the rotting corpses that float in the water after seeing the creatures that clung to Rixia, Kyra notices that in the pile of bones from the skeleton destroyed earlier. In the pile is some sort of blade. While you initially assume that it was just a sword, you see that the whole of it is more like a club. The only sharp portion of it are several black stones where a sword would have the sharp end of its blade. Despite the foul setting, it seems to be in good condition.
If any of you have Knowledge (History) or Martial Lore, you may try to identify

jamieth
2020-05-28, 04:48 PM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 17
"Wow, that's weird..." Kyra says, raising the blade - and it's hard to tell for sure whether "weird" applies to the strange form of the sword, or the fact that she just picked it up from the skeleton that, apparently, just few minutes ago tried to stab her best friend with that sword. Anyway.
"Guess if no one needs it, I'll save it as a souvenir... Oh, I know, when we get our secret base, we can make a museum there, to hold the things left from our adventures!"
By this point, she is apparently clearly certain that one, they will have further adventures together, and two, they'll end up having a secret base. What exactly makes her think that? Well...

YuweaCurtis
2020-05-29, 12:48 PM
I'm Gloria. And we didn't relaly do much looking around, we just came down here and noticed the other undead. We should look around though. My best guess it they came from over there." she says gesturing in one direction. "Um, you have a secret base?"

Merilan
2020-05-29, 03:28 PM
"G-geez, Kyra..." Rixia approaches with some concern as Kyra picks up the blade, but at least it seems safe now. She stares at it for a few moments. "Yeah, we just arrived here and pretty much got into a fight right away. Uh--"

A pause, as she tilts her head. "... a secret base does sound pretty cool, I admit."

jamieth
2020-05-29, 03:38 PM
Kyra
HP 27/27
AC 17
"N-not yet", Kyra shrugs with a charming smile, "I was just working on it... thought about the clocktower... wait, no, someone probably comes there all the time... ehh. We'll think of something, I'm sure. Sure can't bring this thing back to the orphanage."

Jacior
2020-06-05, 11:54 AM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Cooper looks at the gathered... well they were all children weren't they? "I'm not sure... why we need a secret base? If you need a place to store things... I have a permanent room at one of the inns... I could keep it there if you wanted." Looking at the pile of stuff, he decided to look through the other bodies to see if they held anything else... he'd been very lucky finding things since he made his deal... no reason to assume he'd lose that for some reason. Of course, saying that he didn't really find anything. "So... I guess... it's our job to clear out the sewers then? Lets get going... I don't want to stay down here too long."

Esprit15
2020-06-06, 07:22 PM
Unsure of exactly where to go, Cooper leads the group down the path that the undead seemed to be coming from. You notice after a little while that the path slopes slowly downward. Every hundred feet or so, the sideway raises slightly, passing over water that slowly flows into what appears to be the main line of liquid, like tributaries to a river. You also notice that these miniature bridges appear to be one solid piece of stone, rather than bricks layered together.

After ten minutes of traveling, the way opens up into a massive underground space, the water flowing over a cliff into blackness far beyond what you can see. Much like the walkways over the water, the walls here appear to be one solid sheet of stone that, if it continues as it appears to beyond your vision, would make a massive, underground hemisphere. All over the walls appear to be etchings - some in the local Common, others in Empire Elven, Southern Elven, Red Orcish, Carhart Gnomish, but the vast majority are in a language or languages that you cannot recognize the alphabet for. Those in the local Common appear to be largely things along the lines of "So-and-so was here," though some also include things like "Day 23" and "Never forget the 197th."

Also recurring is "Burn the Empire," in every language that you can recognize, and every variant on the exact phrasing.

You catch just at the edge of your hearing a voice... no, two voices. One raspy and very slow in their speech, the other high pitched and weaselly.
Raspy: "Yes, the preparations are made."
Weaselly: "And you are sure it will go through - that they'll do it? My superior won't accept another botched deal."
Raspy: "Your superior will be most pleased, I believe... Don't worry, my head is just as much on the sacrificial block as yours... I only hope that my Lady is willing to accept your superior's aid."
Weaselly: "Ah yes, reassuring. Hope. Well ever since the old guard were all uprooted, hope has been in even lower supply than the usual complete lack thereof. Get it done by the close of the week, else our agreement is void. Ilil is breathing down my neck - other deals that need honoring.
Raspy: *chuckling* "I will never understand why devils sell and offer what things they don't already have in their possession."
The raspy voice says nothing.

A sudden crack and red flash of light comes from around 100ft away.

YuweaCurtis
2020-06-17, 08:06 PM
Given they were all clueless and Cooper seemed to take the lead, Gloria would follow after, but she would draw her weapons once again so they would be ready in case of danger.

When they show up at the wall, she would inspect it, "Looks like we aren't the only ones to adventure this far..." The sudden sound would snap her out of her musing. She would turn towards it, gesturing in the cause no one else noticed.

Jacior
2020-07-26, 08:56 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
The young elf stays mostly quiet for the trip, looking at the walls and touching the etchings. "This is a strange place... I don't understand..." He murmurs to himself, wishing he knew how to write. Hearing the snap of sound and the flash of red light, he turns to look at the darkness, torchlight doing nothing to expose whatever made it in the distance. "I don't... think we're alone down here either." He tries to stay quiet, but the light of the torch Alfric still held in one hand would be a beacon down here. Especially cause they seemed like the only light.

Esprit15
2020-07-27, 09:13 PM
A raspy voice calls out to you from the darkness, slow and methodical in its style of speaking. Cooper, you recognize it as choosing to speak in Draconic. "Hm... What would children be doing down here, so late at night? The sewers are very, very dangerous, you know."

YuweaCurtis
2020-08-05, 12:18 AM
"Eeeh?" Gloria says, raising her sword in a silly attempt to use the light of her weapon to see further into the darkness. "I don't know what you just said, but we aren't afraid. Don't slink in the darkness, come on out if your going to fight!"

Jacior
2020-08-08, 11:19 AM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Cooper looked back at Gloria as she went off. "Maybe don't antagonize the shadows whispering at us in lizardfolk language? It asked what children were doing down here its very dangerous and that was already a threat I think." He spoke to her and common and turned back to the darkened room, switching to the language spoken to him. "We were... led down here. Who are you? What is all this?"

Esprit15
2020-08-08, 02:26 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Cooper looked back at Gloria as she went off. "Maybe don't antagonize the shadows whispering at us in lizardfolk language? It asked what children were doing down here its very dangerous and that was already a threat I think." He spoke to her and common and turned back to the darkened room, switching to the language spoken to him. "We were... led down here. Who are you? What is all this?"

"Led? By whom?" the voice asks, slightly closer now. They seem to be standing just out of the range of the light from the torch, even with your elven vision. "I am... a remnant, I guess you would say. A fragment among fragments of what was once a great and wonderful empire - the greatest empire that the world had ever known. At its height, it stretched from the Blue Mountains of the East to the edges of the Great Plain of the West, from the southern shores of the Sonnan Sea to the northern Aarakokran Forest. And yet, now it is nothing - nothing but rubble that you build your huts where towers once stood." As the voice spits the last words, Cooper sees them step into view, though details are still hard to make out. The figure is humanoid, with whispy hair that hangs around what you estimate if they were healthier would be an olive skin. They wear what looks like badly worn armor of light hides, with some sort of symbol emblazoned on it (which appears newer than the armor).

Jacior
2020-08-20, 08:53 PM
Cooper
HP 21/21
AC 17
Cooper looks at the figure and takes a step back, Alfric moving forward slightly in response. "I... don't know. There was... something in the clocktower... it led to the sewers and we followed." He didn't understand what he was looking at, not really. "Time... moves on. We all have to. People are just trying to survive. I can't... understand your frustration I guess? I never saw it."

Esprit15
2020-08-21, 12:25 AM
The figure glares harshly at you as you mention time moving on. She spits. "You speak like one who does not know loss. Who has not seen their people destroyed. We saw millions of our own crumble to dust in an afternoon. And then the gods went silent - recovering our numbers was impossible. You talk of survival, but before the war, we thrived. You thrived. The humanoids were content. They wanted for nothing, and yet outsiders still sought to slay us." The pale woman pulls out a dagger, shaped not like a knife that you were familiar with, but a stilleto, and points it at you angrily. In a language that Gloria recognizes as that of her grandparents, the woman screams. "Don't lecture me on loss! You are nothing but children!"

YuweaCurtis
2020-09-10, 12:19 PM
She holds her weapons at ready, "I said if... But what did you say Cooper? You seem to have aggravated her."