PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ridiculous Good luck, also, what happens if a nymph takes levels in druid?

mehs
2020-03-07, 08:19 PM
So the campaign im in mainly features a dungeon which has the main feature of generating wrong context magic items and monsters. It is first session, we find first treasure chest. I open it, nat 100 the loot. I GOT A HAT!! It is an awesome hat, it gives me 1/4 my normal class level as druid level (min 1). We are level 1. I essentially got an item that gave me a free level!!! Plus, my character has the nymph's kiss feat, so he has a nymph wife. We can give her the hat and it will be awesome!!!!!!!
I dont have a 11 or higher in wisdom, so i can't actually cast the spells, but still, a freaking gestalt hat as first loot of the game. It makes it easier for me to be tracked by scent, but still, gestalt hat.

the treasure rolls were 100/100 (dungeon item orb (loot box)), 89/100 (class hat), 4/12 (druid)
srsly what happens if a monster able to cast as a 7th level druid actually gets 2 levels of druid?

King of Nowhere
2020-03-07, 11:12 PM
a nymph takes levels in druid just like any other creature.
by the way, if you're still level 1, she's probably much more powerful than your entire party. and she can already cast spells as if she was a 7th level druid. Unfortunately, gaining levels in druid won't stack with that

Psyren
2020-03-08, 12:26 AM
Unfortunately, gaining levels in druid won't stack with that

Why wouldn't they? Monsters can take class levels just fine if they advance, so this item should work too.

hamishspence
2020-03-08, 03:34 AM
srsly what happens if a monster able to cast as a 7th level druid actually gets 2 levels of druid?

The standard approach is that it stacks. A dragon with levels in sorcerer adds those levels to its "casts as a sorcerer of level x" abilities from being a dragon.

Same ought to apply to other monsters with innate casting "as a (class) of level (x)"

This is true in both Pathfinder and regular 3.5:

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/monster-advancement/

Step 2: Add Class Levels
Once you have determined the creature’s role, it’s time to add class levels. The first step of this process is to modify the creature’s ability scores. Creatures with class levels receive +4, +4, +2, +2, +0, and –2 adjustments to their ability scores, assigned in a manner that enhances their class abilities. Creatures with NPC class levels do not receive adjustments to their ability scores.

Next, add the class levels to the monster, making all of the necessary additions to its HD, hit points, BAB, CMB, CMD, feats, skills, spells, and class features. If the creature possesses class features (such as spellcasting or sneak attack) for the class that is being added, these abilities stack. This functions just like adding class levels to a character without racial Hit Dice.

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#associatedClassLevels

Associated Class Levels
Class levels that increase a monster’s existing strengths are known as associated class levels. Each associated class level a monster has increases its CR by 1.

Barbarian, fighter, paladin, and ranger are associated classes for a creature that relies on its fighting ability.

Rogue and ranger are associated classes for a creature that relies on stealth to surprise its foes, or on skill use to give itself an advantage.

A spellcasting class is an associated class for a creature that already has the ability to cast spells as a character of the class in question, since the monster’s levels in the spellcasting class stack with its innate spellcasting ability.

King of Nowhere
2020-03-08, 09:02 AM
The standard approach is that it stacks. A dragon with levels in sorcerer adds those levels to its "casts as a sorcerer of level x" abilities from being a dragon.

Same ought to apply to other monsters with innate casting "as a (class) of level (x)"

This is true in both Pathfinder and regular 3.5:

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/monster-advancement/

Step 2: Add Class Levels
Once you have determined the creature’s role, it’s time to add class levels. The first step of this process is to modify the creature’s ability scores. Creatures with class levels receive +4, +4, +2, +2, +0, and –2 adjustments to their ability scores, assigned in a manner that enhances their class abilities. Creatures with NPC class levels do not receive adjustments to their ability scores.

Next, add the class levels to the monster, making all of the necessary additions to its HD, hit points, BAB, CMB, CMD, feats, skills, spells, and class features. If the creature possesses class features (such as spellcasting or sneak attack) for the class that is being added, these abilities stack. This functions just like adding class levels to a character without racial Hit Dice.

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#associatedClassLevels

Associated Class Levels
Class levels that increase a monster’s existing strengths are known as associated class levels. Each associated class level a monster has increases its CR by 1.

Barbarian, fighter, paladin, and ranger are associated classes for a creature that relies on its fighting ability.

Rogue and ranger are associated classes for a creature that relies on stealth to surprise its foes, or on skill use to give itself an advantage.

A spellcasting class is an associated class for a creature that already has the ability to cast spells as a character of the class in question, since the monster’s levels in the spellcasting class stack with its innate spellcasting ability.
huh. i wasn't aware of that, but it makes more sense

dude123nice
2020-03-08, 06:17 PM
huh. i wasn't aware of that, but it makes more sense

Ofc it makes sense. After all, without this rule, dragons would never be capable of getting to a high enough level to be a great sorcerers. Which would be pretty pathetic for the race who, essentially, defines the concept.

mehs
2020-03-09, 10:14 PM
One ridiculously one-sided game of civ4 later, and my GM now is getting to the point of

"do you have some probability warping aura or something that effects computers?. first you nat 100 a dice roll and roll exactly what i suspect you would have picked if given the choice.
and now this nonsense."

I think im starting to break him

SimonMoon6
2020-03-11, 10:22 AM
One ridiculously one-sided game of civ4 later, and my GM now is getting to the point of

"do you have some probability warping aura or something that effects computers?. first you nat 100 a dice roll and roll exactly what i suspect you would have picked if given the choice.
and now this nonsense."

I think im starting to break him

This reminds me of something that happened in a friend's homebrew system many years ago: the game had "luck" as one of its statistics. For luck, you rolled d100 and that was your luck score (which you could then spend during an adventure but the points would come back at the end of the adventure). If you didn't like your first roll, you could roll one more time but you had to keep the second result.

We were playing ourselves as characters and I tried to tell the GM that I was a pretty lucky person, so was there any advantage I could buy that would give me extra luck? The answer was no, I just had to roll. So I rolled and got a 100.

Even funnier: another player who is known to have terrible luck with dice rolled his luck score, got a single digit number, and naturally decided to reroll. His second roll was a 1. So he had 1 point of luck.