PDA

View Full Version : The Tortle Challenge

wookietek
2020-03-07, 10:05 PM
I've been given a challenge. Make a viable Tortle Path of the Zealot Barbarian with rolled stats (17,16,15,14,10,7), but he has no use of his legs. Not sure starting level, but at least 3 because of the subclass. I figure strap him on a horse, and take mounted combatant at 4th, but I don't know how to make him viable in a dungeon? Any ideas?

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-07, 11:00 PM
I've been given a challenge. Make a viable Tortle Path of the Zealot Barbarian with rolled stats (17,16,15,14,10,7), but he has no use of his legs. Not sure starting level, but at least 3 because of the subclass. I figure strap him on a horse, and take mounted combatant at 4th, but I don't know how to make him viable in a dungeon? Any ideas?

You can still move while prone, just at half speed.

"To move while prone, you must crawl or use magic such as teleportation. Every foot of movement while crawling costs 1 extra foot. Crawling 1 foot in difficult terrain, therefore, costs 3 feet of movement."

Feats such as Tavern Brawler, Mobile, Polearm Master, Sentinel, and Shield Master are all feats you could use well.

I would go...

18, 14, 16, 7, 16, 10 for ability scores. (+2 str/+1 Wis).

@ level 4 that's 45 HP and 22 AC at first level (17 + Con + shield) unless shields don't work with Tortles.

I would take Mobile for hilarity.

Your base speed is 40, you can roll 20' with normal movement. At level 5 your speed is 50 so you can roll (crawl) 25'.

Side note, as you will be prone, ranged attacks has disadvantage to hit you and enemies have advantage on melee attacks... Which is redundant as you will be reckless attacking. Ranged will be at normal attack and won't be able to get advantage on you while reckless.

Grab a Polearm for reach.

Damon_Tor
2020-03-07, 11:18 PM
Acolyte background for free temple services: "You and your adventuring companions can expect to receive free healing and care at a temple, shrine, or other established presence of your faith, though you must provide any material components needed for spells."

Regenerate doesn't consume a material component, so you might have to shop around to see which temple has a guy who can cast a 7th level spell, but if you're in a major metropolitan area it should be quite doable.

Sigreid
2020-03-07, 11:30 PM
Get hold of a small flying carpet.
Find an artificer to make you prosthetic legs.
Get a board/plank and attach wheels.
Make a wheel chair.
Hire laborers to carry you into battle.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-07, 11:49 PM
Get a board/plank and attach wheels.
Make a wheel chair.

Bentley as a Barbarian would be interesting.

wookietek
2020-03-07, 11:49 PM
Mobile feat while rolling around as a Tortle is awesome silliness! I loveit!

kazaryu
2020-03-08, 03:42 AM

for extra silliness, instead of using wepaons, use headbutts (tortles get natural weapons..its supposed to be their claws iirc, but i mean...mechanically its the same so who cares?) or bites.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-08, 03:54 AM

Flavor it as going into a shell and you're spinning around... Your Polearm sticks out to stab (pike).

Sherlockpwns
2020-03-08, 07:30 PM
Seems to me the boring answer is find two prosethetic limb magic items.

The more fun answer is any of the above :P

I guess an alternative is to get a draft animal like a Mule and have it tow you around like Santa on a sledge.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-08, 07:53 PM
I would like to point out that my build can MC Monk.

Just saying, more movement and stunning strike with a quarterstaff gonna be fun.

BarneyBent
2020-03-08, 08:33 PM
You can still move while prone, just at half speed.

"To move while prone, you must crawl or use magic such as teleportation. Every foot of movement while crawling costs 1 extra foot. Crawling 1 foot in difficult terrain, therefore, costs 3 feet of movement."

Feats such as Tavern Brawler, Mobile, Polearm Master, Sentinel, and Shield Master are all feats you could use well.

I would go...

18, 14, 16, 7, 16, 10 for ability scores. (+2 str/+1 Wis).

@ level 4 that's 45 HP and 22 AC at first level (17 + Con + shield) unless shields don't work with Tortles.

I would take Mobile for hilarity.

Your base speed is 40, you can roll 20' with normal movement. At level 5 your speed is 50 so you can roll (crawl) 25'.

Side note, as you will be prone, ranged attacks has disadvantage to hit you and enemies have advantage on melee attacks... Which is redundant as you will be reckless attacking. Ranged will be at normal attack and won't be able to get advantage on you while reckless.

Grab a Polearm for reach.

Unarmoured Defence doesn't stack with a Tortle's Natural Armor unfortunately. They are two separate ways of calculating AC. Tortles can wield a shield though.

Otherwise pretty good! Go Totem Barbarian - Elk for an extra 15 ft of movement. You could also go Rogue 2 for Athletics Expertise and bonus action Dash to become a hypermobile Grappler.

At level 7 (Barb 5/Rogue 2) it would be base 65ft of movement while raging, up to 130 using Dash, and then halved due to being prone. All the mobility you need. Roll, grapple, stab, roll, grapple, stab.

It's not optimised but it's functional.

Edit: damn just saw it needs to be Zealot. Ok disregard Elk Totem. The rest still holds.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-08, 10:32 PM
Unarmoured Defence doesn't stack with a Tortle's Natural Armor unfortunately. They are two separate ways of calculating AC. Tortles can wield a shield though.

Otherwise pretty good! Go Totem Barbarian - Elk for an extra 15 ft of movement. You could also go Rogue 2 for Athletics Expertise and bonus action Dash to become a hypermobile Grappler.

At level 7 (Barb 5/Rogue 2) it would be base 65ft of movement while raging, up to 130 using Dash, and then halved due to being prone. All the mobility you need. Roll, grapple, stab, roll, grapple, stab.

It's not optimised but it's functional.

Edit: damn just saw it needs to be Zealot. Ok disregard Elk Totem. The rest still holds.

I knew something was weird, but I'm typically away from books and on a 12 hour night shift lol.

Barb 5, Rogue 3 (thief), Monk 5 (Shadow)...

You can now run and climb up stuff while twirling around in your shell.

You can now teleport in shadows

You're able to teleport while raging.

I love this.

Nagog
2020-03-08, 11:56 PM
I would use that Int score to multiclass into Artificer, specifically Battlesmith. Make your iron servant thingy something like a wheelchair or other mount type thing. Or just have a wheelchair. Considering wheelchairs use arms to move, you could conceivably use an Athletics check to increase movement speed, with Acrobatics checks to change direction mid-charge.

Or if you want to be boring, Rising from the Last War included magical prosthetics. They take attunement, but even if you have multiple it's only 1 attunement slot, and they have some nifty uses. But still kinda boring, as they're the expected answer.

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-03-09, 12:00 AM
I would use that Int score to multiclass into Artificer, specifically Battlesmith. Make your iron servant thingy something like a wheelchair or other mount type thing. Or just have a wheelchair. Considering wheelchairs use arms to move, you could conceivably use an Athletics check to increase movement speed, with Acrobatics checks to change direction mid-charge.

Or if you want to be boring, Rising from the Last War included magical prosthetics. They take attunement, but even if you have multiple it's only 1 attunement slot, and they have some nifty uses. But still kinda boring, as they're the expected answer.

I feel like getting rid of the handicap takes away from the challenge. You're refusing to take the challenge at that point.