PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder breaking down doors

mehs
2020-03-08, 12:00 AM
Party is in a dungeon, there are a **** ton of doors that need to be broken down. So far, i've been going at it with an acidic light mace. Gm says that the acid is effective against objects and more or less bypasses hardness of most thing. What better weapon enchantments are there for this purpose? Will have to be +1 bonus to be in budget. 3.5 is also allowed.

OrbanSirgen
2020-03-08, 03:24 AM
Thundering would work, because sonic damage also does full damage to most objects...

Manyasone
2020-03-08, 07:20 AM
Adamantine weapons

mehs
2020-03-09, 04:24 PM
Thundering only activates on a critical hit.

legomaster00156
2020-03-09, 06:32 PM
Seconding adamatine. Though expensive, this is pretty much what the stuff is made for.

Dr_Dinosaur
2020-03-09, 07:16 PM
If you're strong or have a lot of damage bonuses, an adamantine arrow is cheap and effective

TheFamilarRaven
2020-03-10, 03:58 AM
Thundering would work, because sonic damage also does full damage to most objects...

Thundering only activates on a critical hit.

Also, sonic damage does not do full damage to most objects. All energy damage is supposed to be half versus objects BEFORE hardness is applied. The GM is, however, free to determine that certain elemental damages deal full damage or are super effective against objects of certain materials, (and from the look of things your GM has decided that acid eats through most if not all materials).

So yeah, an adamantine weapon (arrow is the cheapest option) with the corrosive property will get through just about anything with enough time in this case. Or heck, just a battering ram should get through most doors.

OrbanSirgen
2020-03-10, 04:46 AM
Also, sonic damage does not do full damage to most objects. All energy damage is supposed to be half versus objects BEFORE hardness is applied. The GM is, however, free to determine that certain elemental damages deal full damage or are super effective against objects of certain materials, (and from the look of things your GM has decided that acid eats through most if not all materials).

According to the PHB:

Energy Attacks: Acid and sonic attacks deal damage to most objects just as they do to creatures; roll damage and apply it normally after a successful hit. Electricity and fire attacks deal half damage to most objects; divide the damage dealt by 2 before applying the hardness. Cold attacks deal one-quarter damage to most objects; divide the damage dealt by 4 before applying the hardness.

TheFamilarRaven
2020-03-11, 04:22 PM
According to the PHB:
This is correct. According to 3.5. However the OP put Pathfinder tags on this thread so I'm assuming they are using that system. In which case, my earlier post is the correct ruling. PFSRD LINK (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/damaging-objects/#TOC-Energy-Attacks)

Although, I'd wager that the DM is using the old 3.5 rules seeing as how acid is doing full damage to objects, and hasn't looked at the updated rules, (which happens quite often).