PDA

View Full Version : Magic immunity and magic weapons

Biggus
2020-03-08, 09:09 AM
Does the magic immunity possessed by epic creatures (such as the Demilich or epic golem) which is different to the magic immunity possessed by other creatures (which only protects against effects which allow spell resistance) prevent magic weapons from working against them? If so, does it only stop special abilties from working or does it even stop you getting the benefit of a weapon enhancement bonus?

EDIT: I think the epic creatures' ability is how magic immunity was in 3.0, whereas nonepic creatures' was changed in 3.5, in case that helps.

SirNibbles
2020-03-08, 12:22 PM
Does the magic immunity possessed by epic creatures (such as the Demilich or epic golem) which is different to the magic immunity possessed by other creatures (which only protects against effects which allow spell resistance) prevent magic weapons from working against them? If so, does it only stop special abilties from working or does it even stop you getting the benefit of a weapon enhancement bonus?

EDIT: I think the epic creatures' ability is how magic immunity was in 3.0, whereas nonepic creatures' was changed in 3.5, in case that helps.

"IMMUNITY TO MAGIC
A creature that has this characteristic is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. Certain spells and effects might function differently against the creature, as noted in its description." - Rules Compendium, page 131

"SUPERNATURAL ABILITIES
Supernatural abilities are magical. They don’t function in areas where magic is suppressed or negated, such as in an antimagic field. However, these abilities can’t be disrupted in combat, as spells can. Supernatural abilities aren’t subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic." - Rules Compendium, page 119

_

3.0 Material:

"Magic Immunity (Ex)
--- are immune to all magical and supernatural effects, except as follows." - Various Monsters, Epic Level Handbook

"Magic Immunity (Ex): Golems completely resist most magical and supernatural effects, except as noted below." - Monster Manual II, page 115

3.5 Updates:

"Magic Immunity (Ex): A... golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted in its entry. - Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Accessory Update, page 33

_

Sadly, that accessory failed to update the Epic Level Handbook's creatures' Magic Immunity description. I think the intent, however, is quite clear:

"The purpose of this booklet is not to provide a comprehensive list of everything that has changed with the 3.5 revision. The changes are too large in number and varied in scope to be
able to provide an all-inclusive inventory. Instead, what we want to do is to show you a broad picture of what has changed and to provide you with support for updating our most popular product." - Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Accessory Update, page 3

the_tick_rules
2020-03-08, 01:21 PM
Pretty clear answer above me, it applies to spells and spell like affects not enchanted weapons. However given how crazy the epic handbook can get i'm sure there is some way of making a spell that bypasses spell immunity. If you have monsters that even gods should fear you can have anything.

SirNibbles
2020-03-08, 04:52 PM

"Extraordinary and supernatural abilities, including enhancement bonuses on magic weapons, aren’t subject to spell resistance." - Rules Compendium, page 130

"Magic items produce spells or spell-like effects...

Most item descriptions give saving throw DCs for various effects, particularly when the effect has no exact spell equivalent (making its level otherwise difficult to determine quickly)." - Dungeon Master's Guide, page 214

Since every magic item/magic weapon ability has spell requirements, just look at the spell requirements and whether or not SR applies for those spells. It's not a 100% effective solution but it's usually good enough.

Biggus
2020-03-10, 04:22 PM
Sadly, that accessory failed to update the Epic Level Handbook's creatures' Magic Immunity description.

Thank you for the detailed answers. It had occurred to me that it could simply be a failure to update magic immunity to 3.5, but it could also be deliberate: there are a number of powers possessed by creatures in the ELH which aren't found anywhere else, and infinite SR isn't that much of a challenge for epic casters as most of them will have several "SR: No" spells in their arsenal by that point.