PDA

View Full Version : Feat as requirement for multi-class; feedback request

Wrath Of Grapes
2020-03-08, 09:36 AM
I want to limit multi-classing somewhat in my campaign, especially in regards to level dips. Also I like characters to make the shift a bit less sudden. For this purpose I am considering the following feat:

Multi-talented (placekeeper name)

Pick another class, every time you gain a level you can choose to level up in this class instead.

When you gain your 1st level in this class you do not gain the usual proficiencies of this class that you get at 1st level, and you roll for hit points as normal.

You gain the following proficiencies when you take your first level in the class (if the chosen class usually gives proficiency at 1st level):

- light armor proficiency
- shield proficiency
- any weapon proficiency
- any tool / musical instrument proficiency

You can also pick two of the following, you gain these benefits immediately: (you can pick the same benefit twice)

- one skill of the chosen class' choices
- a +1 bonus to a prime ability score (can not pick the same ability twice)
- An upgrade in armor proficiency (none > light > medium > heavy)

Thoughts?

DeTess
2020-03-08, 09:50 AM
It's a rather significant nerf to mutliclassing and (barring some rare examples, such as hexblade warlock) I don't think it's needed at all. If you want to limit multiclassing, I'd discuss it with our players and/or impose some other limit (such as not begin allowed to multiclass between more than 2 classes), rather than mechanically nerfing multiclassing itself.

edit: So, after looking over the feat again, I've got to take back my read that it's a nerf to multi-classing. In fact, it looks like a buff, and encourages dipping, given the amount of perks you get per multiclass, which seems like it's the exact opposite of what you want.

nickl_2000
2020-03-08, 09:54 AM
Personally I don't think this is the right solution to the problem. You can't get the feat and multiclass at the same time. So, you would need to take the feat at level 4 and then multiclass at 5 or beyond.

If you don't like that players are dipping 1 level into another class for multiclass reasons, use session 0 to make it clear that it isn't acceptable in your campaign. Tell that that any multi-class will require the PC spent at least 4 levels in that class before they are allowed to go back and forth. Or tell that if they don't have story reasons it flat out isn't allowed.

Or even more than that, you just don't allow multiclassing. There is nothing wrong with a full class character and the PHB says that multiclassing is an optional rule anyways.

Wrath Of Grapes
2020-03-08, 10:37 AM
It's a rather significant nerf to mutliclassing and (barring some rare examples, such as hexblade warlock) I don't think it's needed at all. If you want to limit multiclassing, I'd discuss it with our players and/or impose some other limit (such as not begin allowed to multiclass between more than 2 classes), rather than mechanically nerfing multiclassing itself.

edit: So, after looking over the feat again, I've got to take back my read that it's a nerf to multi-classing. In fact, it looks like a buff, and encourages dipping, given the amount of perks you get per multiclass, which seems like it's the exact opposite of what you want.

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated!

It's a slight buff to multi-classing, but is balanced by:

- Needing 4 levels to start multi-classing (I am using variant humans based on terrain and culture 'templates' with no feat at 1st level)
- it takes a feat (you typically get +1 ability score and a skill or armor proficiency, which is about normal feat benefit)

The perceived buff is just a function of the feat itself, it is totally an option to just take the feat, as a sort of dilettante feat.
I might expand on it to also allow shield proficiency and/or a cantrip option sort of 'multi-class light'. It is not meant to be a terrible feat, just a solid choice.

The feat allows for more natural builds, so you can just go fighter if you want heavy armor proficiency instead of having to pick a cleric of this or that religion for example.

The players would not have an issue with it if I told them to just go single class but I want to keep multi-class as an option just not one that facilitates 'builds'

Wrath Of Grapes
2020-03-08, 10:57 AM
Personally I don't think this is the right solution to the problem. You can't get the feat and multiclass at the same time. So, you would need to take the feat at level 4 and then multiclass at 5 or beyond.

If you don't like that players are dipping 1 level into another class for multiclass reasons, use session 0 to make it clear that it isn't acceptable in your campaign. Tell that that any multi-class will require the PC spent at least 4 levels in that class before they are allowed to go back and forth. Or tell that if they don't have story reasons it flat out isn't allowed.

Or even more than that, you just don't allow multiclassing. There is nothing wrong with a full class character and the PHB says that multiclassing is an optional rule anyways.

Thank you for the feedback!

The two step multi-class is deliberate, you gain partial benefits spread out over two levels but you have a more complete set of skills of your second class by level 5 than the standard rules.

I don't want to flat out ban things, I was hoping for a more subtle approach by having players invest more into the character concept rather than casually cherry pick abilities.

I was liking the basic concept of it but I'll definitely consider other options if many gamers here dislike the idea.