PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst thing you've ever done to a fellow character?

Trask
2020-03-08, 09:50 AM
Thread title. And I do mean character and in-character and not player or out of game (thats a whole different kind of discussion).

The worst thing I ever did was during a campaign where we were saving a kingdom from an evil cult that had taken over the royal family. I threatened to kill my fellow adventurer's brother if he didn't support my character's claim to the throne.

He was planning on warning the High Lords against my rule, and he was the party paladin wielding a legendary blade so his opinion carried much weight. I released a trapped demon and sent it to his family home to cut off his brother's hand and bring it back to me. I then showed the paladin the hand with the signet ring on it, and made him swear an oath to never oppose me and always support my claim to the throne.

We rolled with it as a group, it never became a thing anyone was upset about and we all felt like good roleplaying came out of it, but that just might be my particular group, I can definitely see how that would cross the line for some people.

So what are your dastardly deeds?

Kaptin Keen
2020-03-08, 12:27 PM
I think very occasional harsh language tops the list for me.

Esprit15
2020-03-08, 12:42 PM
Began dating them.

Probably the worst thing I did was without warning disappear on them to join a cult to a primordial outer god (think The Old Ones) while doing some investigation. Then when we ran the one shot of me joining the cult (the other players played as some of the cultists for that session), one I learned everything I felt that I could get from them, I promptly stabbed all of them in the back as well and tricked their priest into stepping into a room with a Sword Archon.

Galithar
2020-03-08, 12:53 PM
Very little experience as a player, but my 'worst deed' was in a recent session. We were shopping and the shop owner immediately got cagey and was asking if I was a cop. I told him I wasn't and my party member proceeded to tell him that 'that's exactly what a cop would say'. A few passed persuasion checks later and I was back on track to buy what I needed. Come the party members turn to shop, right as the merchant confirms that he DOES have the luck stone that she's looking for I have my character walk past and say "Have a nice day, officer" as I walk away. Luckily for her character (and possibly me if she'd failed) her persuasion checks were as successful as mine, and we both walked away with what we'd gone looking for.

Waterdeep Merch
2020-03-08, 01:40 PM
I once used psychic gifts (namely telekinesis and mind control) to check for curses and traps. By forcing another player into them first.

The worst incident involved a parasite that I telekinetically slapped a player in the face with, just to see what it would do. It crawled into him, he screamed, I made a note not to touch anything like it, helpfully informing the rest of the party of the outcome of my experiment.

Spore
2020-03-08, 08:14 PM
Well, we played a not-so-nice drow campaign.

We played sisters and the third player was our court wizard. After an exhausting battle against diabolists, I insulted her poor judgment, as she expended way too many resources to bind a demon to her will to aid against the matron of our house. In turn, she cast Destruction on me, and it succeeded.

Jay R
2020-03-08, 08:40 PM
I'm not proud of it, but in 1975, in my first serious game, my Paladin betrayed and killed the entire Lawful (Good) party.

The game (obviously) was original D&D, so Lawful meant Good. [Really. Lawful clerics couldn't use evil spells, etc.] I had rolled up a Paladin, and joined a party of slightly more experienced characters (2nd-4th levels).

I had rolled so low on money that my paladin couldn't afford a sword, and was wielding a mace.

After a few encounters, we defeated some monsters who had knocked us down to minimal hit points. My Paladin had one point, nobody had more than 3, and we were out of healing spells. In original D&D, if you reach zero points, you are dead.

The treasure included a sword, which my paladin asked for, just to have a sword. The party agreed, so I picked it up. The DM knew it was a Chaotic sword, which meant that touching it would do at least two points of damage and kill the character. Contrary to popular belief, DMs rarely want to kill PCs. The sword had a high ego, so he decided that it changed my alignment, rather than killing me. He passed me a note. "You are now Chaotic, and holding a Chaotic Flaming Sword." And I knew that if the party discovered that my character was Chaotic, they'd kill him. [Those were simpler days.] [Or perhaps just more simplistic.]

I asked the DM if I could ask him questions in another room, so we went out and I said, "OK, I don't need to ask anything, I just wanted them to think you gave me more than was in that note." I told him my plan, we waited a couple more minutes, and walked back into the game.

"OK, everyone, listen up; this is important. This is a Holy Sword, and it's given me a quest. I have to go on the quest alone. Go back the way we came, in single file, and no matter what you hear, never turn around."

They agreed, and started to head back. The DM said, "You hear the sound of a sword blow behind you, and a body falling to the ground."

They all know the myth of Orpheus. "We keep on going, and don't look back."

"One round later, you hear the sound of a sword blow behind you, and a body falling to the ground."

"We keep on going, and don't look back."

Lather, rinse repeat. After five iterations, the DM told them that they were all dead.

After the game, I told the other players I'd try to recover their bodies, but tell me what magic items you have, so I can keep them safe. So I got a complete inventory of the items I had just looted.

And the most appalling aspect of it (in retrospect) is that this was the result of the DM trying to keep one player alive.

That party had a useless Bag of Duplication. If you put something in the bag, you would get a useless duplicate: swords that didn't hold an edge, magic items that looked identical but weren't magic, food that tasted bad and didn't satisfy, etc. This gave my character the opportunity to steal all magic items from another party.

Not long afterwards, a party of adventurers was turned to stone by a bunch of cockatrices. My "paladin" heard about them, and went out to rescue them. (My character at the time was an ex-Paladin who was turned Evil, but no other players knew it yet.)

Some time later, they woke up back in town, having been rescued by a paladin, who (of course) refused any kind of reward. But for some reason, none of their magic items worked. I understand they spent a fair amount of time trying to find out how being turned to stone would neutralize their magic items, and looking for a way to reverse the result.

Meanwhile, my ex-paladin had several new magic items. They never came looking for him, because they never realized that their real magic items had been stolen.

Both times, I think I was pretty clever. But I like to believe that I am less immature now, 45 years later.

Lord Raziere
2020-03-08, 09:00 PM
let see....for my DBZ game....
-Tricked a spoiled cat alien into going outside her ship so as to destroy it so to make her more humble after punching her manipulative scumbag handler/manipulative surrogate father, then held her down from destroying a city and potentially an entire planet, all to set her on the right path in life
-made a bio-engineered super-soldier cry and fly away from what we're doing because she said something careless
-threw a spirit bomb at DBZ kami's predecessor because I thought he supported slavery.
-in a duel, almost killed the future ruler of the galaxy, whom I needed for replacing a tyrant (said future ruler asked for the duel)

don't worry they all got better.

FaerieGodfather
2020-03-08, 10:13 PM
I'm a team player. I really try to avoid hurting my fellow PCs.

I kill a lot of them in their sleep, though. For not being team players. I'm not going down into a filthy hole in the ground full of death and dismemberment with anyone I don't think I can trust to keep me and my friends alive and help us spend our loot. This is usually just "manifest mind blade, coup de grace", but I usually try to always carry at least one sovereign glue and at least one alchemist's fire, just in case.

One time, after a very lengthy quest to save another PC's homeworld-- for which he was utterly demanding and wholly ungrateful-- I looked him directly in the eye as we were approaching orbit, said the "geyser" command word for my decanter of endless water, and let it fall overboard.

I've never actually followed through with it, but one of the first things I like to do when I can throw 9s is create an empty, featureless, dead magic, negative-dominant demiplane with a one-way portal leading in. In case I ever get really angry at a vampire. Or get really angry at someone and turn them into a vampire. And then I really want them to think about what they've done wrong.

Which is usually stealing from me. Or hurting my friends. Or being a tyrant.

Trask
2020-03-08, 10:22 PM
let see....for my DBZ game....
-Tricked a spoiled cat alien into going outside her ship so as to destroy it so to make her more humble after punching her manipulative scumbag handler/manipulative surrogate father, then held her down from destroying a city and potentially an entire planet, all to set her on the right path in life
-made a bio-engineered super-soldier cry and fly away from what we're doing because she said something careless
-threw a spirit bomb at DBZ kami's predecessor because I thought he supported slavery.
-in a duel, almost killed the future ruler of the galaxy, whom I needed for replacing a tyrant (said future ruler asked for the duel)

don't worry they all got better.

Off-topic, but what system were you using to play DBZ, I want to play it!

Lord Raziere
2020-03-08, 10:49 PM
Off-topic, but what system were you using to play DBZ, I want to play it!

(None this is freeform.

but I'm pretty sure there are a few DBZ fan made systems floating around? never played any of them though. might wanna take any of this further to PM)

to keep thread on topic:
in a DnD campaign my elf rogue put the parties paladin in a barrel twice, paladin was kind of stupid and knocked out though, no the worst thing is accidentally throwing the fighter off a blimp when I was supposed to be only throwing bombs at the invading army, stupid GM rolls....fighter survived though.

Ken Murikumo
2020-03-09, 01:46 PM
Not me, but another player in my group straight up executed another player at the very end of the campaign after we beat the BBEG. I don't remember why, but for the whole campaign there were veiled threats & not-so-veiled threats; he eventually made good on those threats. We beat the BBEG by firing everything we had all at once, and reduced him to ash; the player in question then drew his side arm and shot the other character in the head, quick, clean, and unprovoked.

Catullus64
2020-03-09, 01:50 PM
Tricked other party members into signing over the stage rights to a theatrical adaptation of our adventures. Without script approval. I got all the royalties, and made sure the script made me look the coolest.

NRSASD
2020-03-09, 03:24 PM
Oooo that's a tricky one. I'll have to think about it, but one that certainly comes to mind is when we held down our party's warlock and slowly decapitated her with a very sharp blade to get a necklace off of her.

In fairness, the necklace was cursed and actively killing her at the time. And we had the cleric and paladins on standby, pumping her full of healing magic to keep her from dying while we sawed through her spine.

We may have neglected to tell her what we were doing though. And she was trying to kill us at the time (cursed necklace, etc.)

Rater202
2020-03-09, 05:04 PM
I don't know if it counts because it was gm fiat but I once accidentally gave a PC lycanthropy when I was trying to give him filth fever.

TrashTrash
2020-03-09, 05:26 PM
Well, it wasn't just me, and I was against it from the start, but...
We killed a non-party PC because she shot one of us.
5e D&D, Eberron one-shot/world building for another group's long-term campaign.

The idea of the campaign was just to do a two-session game with six PCs so we could experiment with new races. We actually ended up with 3 extra people playing with us, which was cool. One of those players was Jen*, who was playing an Elf whose class I cannot remember for the life of me. Jen was Chaotic Neutral.

We were set in a tournament against various monsters, and promised a hefty reward for every monster we killed and brought proof of death for. This piqued our interests, since by some unplanned ridiculousness we were all dead broke.

Four of the original players and one of our bonus players were in a crime syndicate named BKFL (Don't ask, please). Myself and our Fighter decided not to join right away because of our backstories not allowing for it, while Jen chose to be separate so she could maximize her monetary intake.

Shenanigans ensue, and BKFL takes down 2/4 velociraptors in a pack, and the lone Fighter almost takes down one by himself. Fighter gets knocked unconscious while Jen and I have our characters stationed in a nearby tower. I tell Jen I'm going down to heal Fighter/try to kill the dino.

After I make this decision, Jen leans across the table and (OOC) whispers that she's going to shoot the guy from BKFL who was also trying to help Fighter and take down the dino.
I protest, but my character has no way of knowing what she's going to do, since by that time I'd almost made it across the battlefield to Fighter.

Sure enough, the warlock (who, of course, had anger issues IC) made it over and started trying to kill the badly wounded raptor. Jen's been taking pot shots at the thing this whole time, slowly wearing down on it. Her plan was to kill it, take the head, and get out of the arena. Understandably, she's t'd off that he'll get the credit. She shot him in the shoulder right after he kills the thing.
He gets angry (IC) and fires a spell back towards the place the arrow came from.
At this point, I figure I'm dead too. After all, I pretty much sprinted across the battlefield from the same tower to heal someone my character had no ties to.

After killing the remaining raptors, we have about 10 minutes of free roleplay to talk to each other. Fighter and I join the syndicate, him having no idea what happened in between fighting his velociraptor and waking up to the rest of us arguing and me being mad that BKFL wants Jen to die for shooting the caster.
Jen is still up in the tower, now prone from the spell and is unable to join the discussion.
Warlock is ranting about brotherhood and such to get the original syndicate members to back him.
I'm pointing out that she was defending her reward, while simultaneously pointing out that I had nothing to do with it.
Fighter is generally confused and walks away to take care of/soothe his animal companion.
It starts out pretty even, four people on each side. Then one moved to his side, then another, then the last one. It was either kill her or die defending her.

Because I didn't want to die, and because she would die either way, I gave up. The whole time they were working out exactly how they killed her, my character was sitting on the ground having a moral crisis.

OOC, Jen and I helped them plan out and calculate her death. She got dropped off the top of the tower and chopped in half with an axe. There was a lot of gore.

* Name changed for privacy reasons.

So, yeah. I still kinda feel bad about it.
It was a fun campaign, though.

Phhase
2020-03-09, 05:28 PM
Somehow, I kept being handed the role of field medic, in the absence of us having any actual healer (I was a Kraken Pact warlock homebrew). I did not have any tools or proficiency in Medicine, and my Wisdom was at +2. We'd been dealing with an overabundance of Rot-grub like festering worm diseases, so cauterizing wounds was a thing I did on a regular basis.

Unfortunately, one of our caster still became very ill and began to vomit black slime and maggots. So, at a loss of what to do otherwise, I lit a flask of oil, and held it out:

"Drink."

Luckily, the sickness subsided before it got to the point where drinking flaming oil would be better than not doing so, but it was a very near thing.

Man_Over_Game
2020-03-09, 05:44 PM
I stole a character's Boots of Elvenkind (basically makes you good at stealth, like an Elf) to also steal the Black Dragon egg that we found in a dungeon that my party had decided they were going to execute the following morning.

My character then promptly left the party for good. I wasn't intending for that ending, but I was leaving the group, and I did have major qualms about killing a creature that had no choice in its future or judgement. So my DM decided that my Barbarian took off with the egg by using the stealthy boots we just found.

That DM later informed me that my Barbarian most definitely became evil by the egg's influence, and became some sort of tyrant dragon-king. An ironic and unfortunate end, but at least he'll give the remaining players something to remember!

SociopathFriend
2020-03-09, 06:17 PM
Most of the time I generally am I good player/person. I've very rarely played a genuinely evil character and the few times I did I still didn't do much to the party just because I don't like being that guy.

However- I have a limit to this tolerance.

We played Pathfinder River Kings or whatever the campaign was where you could start getting your own cities. Through the entire year or so we were playing I had this annoying teen telling me in-game and out of it how much better of a Sorcerer he was than me and how if we dueled he would win and it would be easy.

So I eventually upon gaining the relevant level walked up to him and said, "I have a gem that means you'll never die- look."
Trap the Soul.

He failed the check, I Disintegrated the body, and I sold his soul to a Lich that we'd already encountered in that same campaign and was known to harbor a grudge against the one who had defeated him (said teen). What things a Lich might do to a soul of someone they hold a grudge against I cannot say- but it cannot have been good.

Mordante
2020-03-10, 08:26 AM
I've not done anything yet. But my character (a wizard/unseen servent) who is in service of Mask is trying to "corrupt" the somewhat naive paladin into service of Mask.

Velda
2020-03-10, 10:22 AM
I KILL......
Just kidding! :D

apkafe !

GigaGuess
2020-03-10, 12:11 PM
Led them into my growing cult. Yay team Bardlock! :p

LibraryOgre
2020-03-10, 12:13 PM
Decided I was tired of my character so, with the DMs contrivance, began to be useless, finally culminating in me backstabbing the party when we were in a bad position. Took everyone by surprise. Surprised the all survived.

SimonMoon6
2020-03-10, 09:14 PM
This was a game where we were all playing evil characters.

I was playing a fighter trying to get into a particular prestige class that involved making a deal with a demon or demons or something. I encountered the demons in a magically dark room of a dungeon. They told me to bring sacrifices in order to satisfy the requirements of the prestige class.

Meanwhile, one of the other party members was playing a thief. Oh, sure, his class was "rogue" but he was a thief and he was stealing from the party. I couldn't have that. So I mentioned that there was a treasure chest in the dark room that I couldn't open. So, he ran in to the room, becoming the first of the sacrifices I had to make. After he was dead, we found out the full extent of his thievery. (I though it was just a little bit of thievery, but it was a lot more than that.)

Monsterpoodle
2020-03-11, 03:24 AM
Knocked a character unconscious, broke his limbs, sewed his eyelids open then ate his heart in front of him.

I am a lot nicer now and he did betray me, and leave me to vet killed by stirges.

Guizonde
2020-03-12, 10:33 AM
uh, oddly enough, chopping off limbs...

first time, our dolt of a sorceress touched a cursed altar. a mummy was kindly knocking on the door, so haste was of the essence. i chopped off her hand at the wrist and cast a heal spell so we could run off. her player was so upset he actually cried tears of rage that his mary sue character was maimed, even despite me telling him as a cleric of pelor i had connections in the church to get him a restoration spell the next session. the player didn't stay long in that game.

second time, a character carelessly let their arm wander into the mouth of a velociraptor and was promptly mangled. as medic i was left with a choice: bind the wound and leave him with a useless forearm and hand or chop it off and hope that a graft or bionic would come along. one amputation later, i grafted him the arm from the velociraptor that maimed him. it caused the character chronic pain for 3 weeks and left him pretty much one armed, but at the end of the 3 weeks with constant care he had a velociraptor hand that could work. thank goodness for mutants with extreme acceptance rates for grafts.

last time, in rogue trader, we were doing an eva to infiltrate an ork rok and our cleric's suit got torn open due to a bullet wound. i didn't have access to my duct tape, so i took my hellgun's sling and tourniquetted his arm above the bullet hole. the pressure differential cost him his arm, but he was safe. the player was actually really happy at my quick thinking. he proceeded to get a bionic arm, and at the end of a session managed to get that one torn off too. meaning he lost his right arm twice in one session. the dm was flabbergasted.

RazorChain
2020-03-20, 01:16 AM
In a Vtm game I lined one of my fellow characters motorcycle helmet with plastic explosives and blew his head off. He had it coming for bloodbinding my ward and turning her against me, he thought he'd get away with it without me knowing. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Then in a Advanced Fighting Fantasy campaign Rolf a fellow PC outed my character to the king for being a spy. I denied the claims and due to the cover I was using as a distraught noblewoman I used my strongest weapons....tears and had a nervous breakdown in front of the court because of his heinous accusations. My character denied the accusations and welcomed any scrutiny that would clear my name. My character and her rooms were searched and nothing suspicous found, I then sowed a doubt that maybe something sinister was behind Rolf's accusations. His room got searched and the evidence I had planted that he was a demon worshipper was found.

Rolf got thrown in jail, but he maintained his innocense that he was being framed. He asked that Yastramo the white wizard would vouch for that he was indeed one of the good guys. As I had free rein and being a scoundrel and a sorceress I intercepted the messenger that had gone to Yastramo (he lived in a tower a way off and rarely if ever left the tower) and switched the message for my own forgery without the messenger knowng about it.(i had copied Yastramo's seal the last time we visited him) The forged letter was read before the court where Rolf was named as a dangerous demon worshipper and a threat to the Realm. I'll never forget the face of the player who was playing Rolf when the GM read the letter out loud, poor sucker thougt he was getting off the hook. After that he was forever known as Demonic Rolf.

Demonic Rolf managed to escape before he was executed by cutting off both his hands to escape the magical shackles that prevented him from using magic, he later joined the villain and got new hands from a dead person and helped the villain to invade the kingdom.

comicshorse
2020-03-20, 05:49 PM
Ina Warhammer game my character told stories of the groups adventurers. These were ever-so slightly tilted to make me sound great. The elf was not happy with his role in the tales as my loyal side kick and the female wizard was DEFINITELY not happy with her role as occasional love interest and damsel-in-distress

Wraith
2020-03-20, 06:20 PM
Shot him in the head with a revolver and killed him while he was unarmed and helpless.

...In my defence, he had been dropped to 0 wounds by the mummy of Imhotep the Unholy and was bleeding out. Had I fled I would have left him to eternal torment at the hands of an undead nightmare, but instead I opted to mercy-kill him, which cost me my action for the turn, and I was dropped almost immediately to suffer in his place so... six of one, half a dozen of the other.....

Pauly
2020-03-20, 08:38 PM
In a Space 1889 campaign I broke into the room of two other players while they were sleeping. Unloaded their pistols and rifles then replaced all their ammunition with rounds with inert powder instead of gunpowder. The next combat against the Martians didn’t go so well for them.
They were German agents trying to gather information from our proper British expedition. Well at least I had good reason to believe that and a subsequent search of their possessions vindicated me. Also if they had stood at their posts and fought instead of sneaking off in the middle of action to do some spy stuff other party members could have covered them.

False God
2020-03-21, 01:08 AM
Utilized near god-like power(we had an orb that was the heart of a god) and a piece of an old god to drive every other member of the player's species insane.

It's not what you do to the character, it's what you do to the people the character cares about.

To be fair, his PC did kill my PC once, but he should have made sure I didn't get better.

Knaight
2020-03-21, 01:54 AM
Let's talk Fiasco - a GMless game about things going terribly wrong for deeply flawed people, usually because they're deeply flawed. There's no party, no expectation of PCs being on anything resembling a team, and a character generation which leads to a web of critical personal ties.

Which would be why my character betrayed his secret lover from a rival clan (a PC) for a cursed treasure while in a fit of pique brought on by his own insecurities, falsely convinced she'd fallen for his much hotter identical twin separated at birth (also a PC). For definitions of "betrayed" which include "had abducted by mercenaries".

Good times.

farothel
2020-03-21, 05:07 AM
In a game I GMed one of the players had this 'the end justifies the means' philosphy. He wasn't evil or anything, he would just draw a straight line to the objective and bulldoze over anything in his way.
At one point they were fighting some bad guys and another player was at the entrance of the house, fighting hand to hand (he was quite good at that and could take a hit) while the first player was shooting from the first floor. When the enemies came too close and were all bunched up at the door (trying to get past the second character) the first one just dropped two grenades out of the window, straight down with the words 'Oh, he (meaning the second character) can take it'. He could, but only barely and because he had some psionic armour (we were playing Alternity at the time).

Who needs enemies when your friends drop the grenades on you (he did kill most of the enemies as well, it has to be said).

Kane0
2020-03-21, 05:22 AM
Playing a warlock under a demon pact, sucking up the souls of those we kill to sacrifice and pay off my soul-debt. This included various friends of the party as well as a few party members upon their deaths. I didnt have anything to do with getting them killed, just part and parcel of being an adventurer.

thorr-kan
2020-03-21, 10:28 AM
After 15+ years, the old college gaming group got back together; everybody moved back to the same area. Eventually we played World's Largest Dungeon. I played a half-orc cleric. Another was playing a halfling sorcerer. I started tying the little *&*($^ up, throwing him into rooms, and dragging him back out to detect traps. And that's how I developed my patented Halfling-Trap Detection System (tm)

It was quite effective.

In my defense, him and another player's troll PCs had used my poor halfling fighter in exactly the same manner 15+ years ago in a home-brew system while we were roommates in college. And all I did was leave the game to use the bathroom!

Nobody believed I'd hold a grudge that long, but I'd warned them. I'd warned them for *decades.*

That was 12? 13? years ago. The other player never moved back to the area and now lives down South. Revenge chances on him are unlikely, but hey...we live for hope!

Yora
2020-03-21, 11:28 AM
I once started to grapple another character in a party leaning towards evil to stop him attacking a group of gnomes that appeared ahead on the road because he randomly thought they are suspicious.
Turned out that one time they were actually assassins who wanted to kill us.

LibraryOgre
2020-03-21, 01:15 PM
Not done BY me, but done TO me?

Someone called in an artillery strike on my position. Not their own position. My position.

Kane0
2020-03-21, 08:29 PM
Not done BY me, but done TO me?

Someone called in an artillery strike on my position. Not their own position. My position.

Hah, if I had a dollar for every time that's happened to me I could shout my table pizza.

LibraryOgre
2020-03-21, 08:37 PM
Hah, if I had a dollar for every time that's happened to me I could shout my table pizza.

A later character in that game called down an artillery strike on his own position, but he knew he could be reconstructed from a back-up.

In that game, I had 4 characters. 3 of them died by many multiples of their HPs (two artillery strikes, one tank cannon). The last was still active when the game petered out.

jdizzlean
2020-03-21, 10:26 PM
playing a rogue, i once left the party to go looking for treasure at the start of a big fight. had epic stealth rolls so no one noticed. then i made it back in time w/ equally strong rolls for no one to notice, to shoot 1 bolt at a monster, doing the final damage to kill it, thus PROVING that i was there the entire fight.

the metagaming argument from one of the other players lasted 30 mins w/ the DM shutting him down constantly.

that toon was like that often, it did eventually come back to bite me in the patooty in character. that was about 10 years ago, we still talk about it to this day :)

Jay R
2020-03-22, 01:51 PM
There was a 2e game in which I played the Thief. I was the only one who kept notes, which I then typed up and sent around to everybody a day or two after the game. One session, my notes included the following:

GP value
Item

Coins from spider room (30 silver pieces)

12 amethysts

2 rings

4 bracelets

ceremonial headdress

coins from fighters

Total value

(For the record, no, this is not the exact sum of money the party received this time. There is one source of money or monetary assets that is not listed here. Can you find it?)

I never told them what one source of income I had left off the list, and my Thief pocketed that extra money without splitting it with the party.

My Thief had sold a minor item for one gold piece.

PintoTown
2020-04-27, 11:49 PM
As a necromancer in the Carrion Crown AP, I learned to love/hate (but mostly hate) the groups paladin. EVERYTHING a wizard needs in Pathfinder costs money, while everything a paladin needs just drops into their lap. I swear a 13 year old boy designed that class.
Anyway, my wizard would pay street urchins to follow the paladin around and throw rotten fruit at him for being a noble oppressor.
It’s the kind of deep, lasting damage that you can’t write on a character sheet.

Lvl45DM!
2020-04-28, 12:40 AM
I ate the halfling rogue once.
Playing a werecrocodile with a swallow whole homebrew feat. The halfling was PvPing. I grappled him with my mouth and failed the Will save to avoid swallowing him.
Gulp.

PintoTown
2020-04-28, 08:01 AM
Oh wait, now I remember the worst thing.
It was a 1st ed drow underdark game. I played a secretly disguised mind flayer. We were out of healing, and I convinced a wounded party member I had a psionic way to “take care of” his damage, but it would hurt like hell for 1d4 rounds.

Corsair14
2020-04-28, 08:26 AM
In 2nd edition, drugged a minotaur character and sawed his horns off.

Raijinken
2020-05-04, 01:29 PM
In D&D 3.5e, I held out on everyone with the loot while they were out cold (negative HP, but stable). After taking and hiding what I decided to keep for myself, I then woke them up (using healing potions in their pockets) to take (what is left) and split among ourselves.

GusPorterhouse
2020-05-05, 09:52 AM
2nd/3rd Edition Shadowrun, so back in the mid 90's. Anyone magically active has a Magic score, which nominally goes up to only 6, and this strongly regulates and limits how powerful a magician they are. When casting spells they can incur Fatigue, and there is an item in-game called a Stimpak that removes fatigue BUT applying a Stimpak (or having one applied, even unwillingly) if you're magically active runs a strong risk of permanent Magic score loss. For every single Stimpak applied.

My character was merely an Ork mercenary with no magic and a slightly low Intellect score, and he was mocked constantly and mercilessly for this by our resident mage. I'm down for roleplaying and a little bit of party conflict can be a lot of fun but this guy made it feel personal, including when my character would ask questions about how he could better support this magic-heavy party his character would either be insulting or just ignore mine.

So one night we're on a run that's turned pear-shaped and he and I have been separated from the team, and he's been knocked cold unconscious during a firefight. We desperately need to get out of there and I can't just carry him because we need to fight some more, and the player is being his usual pompous ass self, so I put into motion a revenge plot that I'd hatched some time ago and started slapping him with Stimpaks to wake him up. There was of course immediate protest from the other player ("I wake up and stop him", lol) but the GM shut him down and told him to start making saves. When his character woke up, he wasn't much of a mage anymore.

As satisfying as it was, that marked the end of my time at that table. The GM and mage player were old friends and even though the GM confessed that he'd enjoyed the whole thing, the mage drew a "him or me" line in the sand and of course I wasn't going to win that. It was worth it.

Mastikator
2020-05-06, 02:20 AM
Accidentally? It was probably this year, I'm playing a game with a DM who likes to pull out the fumble table for skill checks.

Fumbled a climb roll down a ruined staircase, followed by crashing into my friend ahead of me, followed by tumbling down the stairs and both of us near dying, followed by reminding the DM that I in fact DID bring a torch, which then set both of ablaze. Her character had 1 hp left, mine -1 (I was healed, it's ok).

Democratus
2020-05-07, 01:31 PM
Wow. I was going to come in here and spill the beans.

But...I think this thread is a bit more tame than I'd expected. :smallamused:

I'll just say that over the decades, stuff has happened between our characters that makes Game of Thrones seem positively upbeat.

Esprit15
2020-05-09, 03:45 PM
Wasn't me, but a story my DM told from when he was a player. He had been playing a dread necromancer and had told the other players, both in an out of character, that as soon as hit hit level 8 (IC it was obviously communicated more in character) that he was going to kill them, and they laughed and said 'Sure you will.'

At the end of the first session when they hit level 8, the DM had him make some rolls that they discussed earlier. DM then turns to the players and says "Hand [name] your sheets. [Name] killed you guys while you were bedded down for the night," and he then went about creating his first dread warriors.