PDA

View Full Version : Soul Eater questions

trehek
2007-10-22, 08:22 PM
Looking at the Soul Eater PrC (BovD p. 66), is it possible to apply a Energy Drain attack on a unarmed strike or natural weapon attack?

If yes:

* Is it possible to make the attacks as melee touch, dealing only the energy drain effect?

If no:

* is the drain an Attack or Standard Action?

Nebo_
2007-10-22, 08:38 PM
Yes.

I'm not sure, but I think so.

It's an attack.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-22, 09:01 PM
The ability is described as being channeled through the Soul Eater's touch, so the standard method of delivery is through a melee touch attack. However, melee touch attacks can be delivered as part of an unarmed strike or natural weapon attack. However, the roll must defeat the opponent's AC for the effect to apply when used this way. Even if the roll beats the touch AC, nothing happens. (Source pending.)

Unless otherwise stated, all supernatural abilities require a standard action (See SRD:Combat:Actions in Combat:Using Special Abilities:Supernatural Abilities (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/actionsInCombat.html#supernatural-abilities#using-supernatural-abilities)). Since the Soul Eater's energy drain does not state otherwise, the ability requires a standard action.

trehek
2007-10-23, 01:02 AM
Exactly the controversy which made me wonder. So, if all of that is considered, can the drain be delivered both as a Attack action vs. full AC and as a Standard Action vs. touch AC? :smallconfused:

EDIT: Another question occurred to me. If a Soul Eater makes unarmed melee attacks with the Energy Drain, do his attacks count as Armed even if he doesn't have Improved Unarmed Strike?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-23, 06:25 AM
Exactly the controversy which made me wonder. So, if all of that is considered, can the drain be delivered both as a Attack action vs. full AC and as a Standard Action vs. touch AC? :smallconfused:
No. Using the ability is a standard action regardless if you are trying to piggyback an unarmed strike or natural attack with it.

(Despite my previous wording, it really is the extra non-touch attack that is made as part of the energy drain rather than the other way around...)

EDIT: Another question occurred to me. If a Soul Eater makes unarmed melee attacks with the Energy Drain, do his attacks count as Armed even if he doesn't have Improved Unarmed Strike?
Yes. The Energy Drain effect that "arms" you is still in effect, so you don't suffer an attack of opportunity.

trehek
2007-10-23, 10:34 AM
Hmm. Then the class strikes me as much more useless than it first seemed. Buffing up an ability over several levels, which takes a Standard Action to only slightly weaken an opponent... :smallannoyed: