PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Trickster Limited

Sparky McDibben
2020-03-08, 05:26 PM
Hey all,

So I'm thinking up a character, but to avoid taking all the spells I usually take, I am implementing a restriction.

This character is an arcane trickster straight class. Backstory is that they ran away from the city to the woods and fell in with some druids, which is how they learned their spells.

Question:
Does anyone have a list of spells up to 4th level that appear on both the wizard and druid lists, preferably by spell school?

And does anyone have suggestions about the character, whether mechanical, roleplay, or even feedback about the idea? I'm open to suggestions; just please give your reasoning!

Also, I haven't rolled for stats or race, yet. I'll update when I do.

Update:

Well, the dice have spoken:

Race: Half-Orc

Stats (after racial adjustments):

STR: 16 (+3)
DEX: 18 (+4)
CON: 14 (+2)
INT: 10 (+/-0)
WIS: 11 (+/-0)
CHA: 6 (-2)

This is going to be really interesting to RP!

Dark.Revenant
2020-03-08, 05:43 PM
Including Forest Land druids:

Cantrips: Control Flames, Create Bonfire, Frostbite, Gust, Infestation, Mending, Mold Earth, Poison Spray, Shape Water, Thunderclap
1st Level: Absorb Elements, Charm Person*, Detect Magic, Earth Tremor, Fog Cloud, Ice Knife, Jump, Longstrider, Snare, Thunderwave
2nd Level: Darkvision, Dust Devil, Earthbind, Flaming Sphere, Gust of Wind, Hold Person*, Locate Object, Skywrite, Spider Climb, Warding Wind
3rd Level: Dispel Magic, Erupting Earth, Feign Death, Flame Arrows, Protection from Energy, Sleet Storm, Tidal Wave, Wall of Water, Water Breathing
4th Level: Blight, Charm Monster*, Confusion*, Conjure Minor Elementals, Control Water, Elemental Bane, Hallucinatory Terrain*, Ice Storm, Locate Creature, Polymorph, Stone Shape, Stoneskin, Wall of Fire, Watery Sphere

*asterisked spells are also Enchantment or Illusion

Sparky McDibben
2020-03-08, 05:47 PM
Including Forest Land druids:

Cantrips: Control Flames, Create Bonfire, Frostbite, Gust, Infestation, Mending, Mold Earth, Poison Spray, Shape Water, Thunderclap
1st Level: Absorb Elements, Charm Person*, Detect Magic, Earth Tremor, Fog Cloud, Ice Knife, Jump, Longstrider, Snare, Thunderwave
2nd Level: Darkvision, Dust Devil, Earthbind, Flaming Sphere, Gust of Wind, Hold Person*, Locate Object, Skywrite, Spider Climb, Warding Wind
3rd Level: Dispel Magic, Erupting Earth, Feign Death, Flame Arrows, Protection from Energy, Sleet Storm, Tidal Wave, Wall of Water, Water Breathing
4th Level: Blight, Charm Monster*, Confusion*, Conjure Minor Elementals, Control Water, Elemental Bane, Hallucinatory Terrain*, Ice Storm, Locate Creature, Polymorph, Stone Shape, Stoneskin, Wall of Fire, Watery Sphere

*asterisked spells are also Enchantment or Illusion

You, sir or madam, are a gentleman and a darned scholar. Thanks!!!

iTreeby
2020-03-08, 05:55 PM
https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells?filter-class=0&filter-class=3&filter-search=&filter-level=1&filter-level=2&filter-level=3&filter-level=4&filter-verbal=&filter-somatic=&filter-material=&filter-concentration=2&filter-ritual=&filter-sub-class=&sort=level

I'd use this and just check the spells to see if they are also wizard.(forgot about circles)

I think at first level, you are limited to charm person for enchantment and illusion spells, so be prepared to make compromises. Outside of those schools... Ice knife and jump?

I'd recommend getting booming blade or green flame blade cantrips cause they are really good. Find familiar is really good, combine with mage hand to irritating effect!

Remember that mage hand is not silent to cast, but does last a minute. I've used it to steal arrows from enemies which is fun. Also steal backup weapons.

Sparky McDibben
2020-03-08, 06:26 PM
Update:

Stats:

BarneyBent
2020-03-08, 07:08 PM
Update:

Stats:

Given the spells you have on offer, you may want to boost your Intelligence over your Strength. The Enchantment/Illusion spells available are all save-based from what I can see. Either that or ask for a Headband of Intellect!

Alternatively, since you're limiting yourself to spells that are also on the Druid list, your DM may allow you to forgo the Enchantment/Illusion limitation, which opens up some other options that don't need INT (e.g. Jump, Longstrider, Absorb Elements, etc).

Also, with those stats, expertise in Athletics could make you an extremely good Grappler, especially with the Tavern Brawler feat, but that's probably not very in-theme.