PDA

View Full Version : How to build it?

Crow_Nightfeath
2020-03-08, 06:33 PM
So I'm watching Castlevania season 2 on Netflix. And the forgemasters seem interesting. They turn dead bodies into subservient demons, by placing a soul from hell into them.

While I know that itself isn't possible through normal D&D or Pathfinder rules. I wonder if there's a way to make something close.

BlackOnyx
2020-03-08, 07:16 PM
So I'm watching Castlevania season 2 on Netflix. And the forgemasters seem interesting. They turn dead bodies into subservient demons, by placing a soul from hell into them.

While I know that itself isn't possible through normal D&D or Pathfinder rules. I wonder if there's a way to make something close.

The closest items you'll probably find are:

Awaken Undead from Libris Mortis

Imparts intelligence to an otherwise mindless undead. Could easily be fluffed as binding a damned soul to a new body.

and

Vile Death from Heroes of Horror

Binds the spirit of a fiend to an undead...but doesn't *guarantee* you control over the resulting creature. Proper application of Command/Control Undead and/or Rebuking could probably remedy this.

Or just being powerful/intimidating enough that the fiend finds it in their best interest to obey.

(The spell also applies the fiendish template in the process.)

Buufreak
2020-03-08, 11:06 PM

[Size=4]OH CONTRARE![/size=4]

This is exactly what you are looking for. Gives any dumb undead int score, and gives the fiendish template for good measure.

Edit: well, that's what I get for trying to format from my phone.

Biggus
2020-03-09, 10:37 AM

Binds the spirit of a fiend to an undead...but doesn't *guarantee* you control over the resulting creature. Proper application of Command/Control Undead and/or Rebuking could probably remedy this.

Or just being powerful/intimidating enough that the fiend finds it in their best interest to obey.

(The spell also applies the fiendish template in the process.)

Vile Death also appears in the Spell Compendium.

ShurikVch
2020-03-09, 01:29 PM
There are some more possible methods:

Make a corpse into Undead (or Construct, or whatever else), command it to use the Rod of Possession (20000 gp, Book of Vile Darkness), then hit them with Imprison Possessor spell (Book of Vile Darkness)

Another variant is based on Animate With the Spirit spell (Champions of Valor)
Firstly, if the spellcaster would be able to simultaneously cast Animate With the Spirit and have access to Corrupt Summoning feat ([vile], Dragon #347), then animating Celestial would be Evil-aligned and have the (Evil) subtype
Also possible to combine Animate With the Spirit and Distort Summons spells, but in that case, resulting creature would be uncontrolled and aggressive...

StSword
2020-03-18, 08:52 AM
I don't have the book yet, but I just noticed that Name's Games Patreon 2019 Compilation book includes the Forgemaster class, based on Castlevania.

I thought you might want to check it out.

Edit: Okay, I've become a patron, so I thought I'd describe the class to see if anyone was interested. Note that I am way behind on Castlevania so I can't comment on how accurate to the show it is or isn't.

Mechanically, Name's Games' Forgemaster takes mechanically from the Alchemist and the Summoner from Pathfinder.

So if siccing summoned monsters or an eidolon that have been forged with Alchemist extracts or mutagens sounds like something you'd enjoy doing in a game, you should definitely check out that patreon.