PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Really powerful book, not sure how to calculate effects for 3.5e.

Shaboom
2020-03-08, 06:46 PM
Hey so I'm playing a Monk/Wizard hybrid character and there's already plenty of moving pieces to my stats: I have 7 levels of Monk, 3 levels of Enlightened Fist, the Superior Unarmed Strike feat, etc. So we finally got time to process a lot of our accumulated loot and one of the books I was carrying around apparently gives me 1 point of WIS and 3 effective levels of Monk. Is this actually a thing in 3.5? I can't really find examples anywhere. I've been using the HeroForgeAnew spreadsheet so far and this has me at a loss as to how to enter it, so if this is actually a thing that he didn't make up I'd love to hear how it's actually supposed to work.

I'll obviously check in with the DM more, but it was hard since he'd gotten pretty deep in his cups by the time this came up so it's pretty confusing.

OrbanSirgen
2020-03-08, 07:17 PM
Does the book actually give monk levels, or does it just boost the character's monk abilities as if they were a monk of 3 levels higher?

Shaboom
2020-03-08, 07:20 PM
Does the book actually give monk levels, or does it just boost the character's monk abilities as if they were a monk of 3 levels higher?

So the way he put it was I got everything except the BAB and saves. I'm pretty sure that's ridiculous, and it works more like a Monk's Belt or my feat where it applies to like Unarmed damage and maybe my AC. Either way I'd be interested in where this might be accounted for in an already stretched-to-bursting spreadsheet situation.

Buufreak
2020-03-08, 11:09 PM
Definitely not a real (as in existing in 1st party print) item.

Rebel7284
2020-03-08, 11:59 PM
The best example of this I can think of is the way that Bloodlines progress all current class features. You have to ask your DM whether or not it gives you new class features, for example, Purity of body

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-03-09, 12:14 AM
Whether it gives 3 effective monk levels without being actual levels, or 3 actual monk levels, you might as well just sell it. Not worth it. The money you get could buy MUCH better items that would actually boost your power significantly, rather than just being "meh." The only real thing of value is the +1 to Wis, although that's only the case if your Wis score is odd, rather than even. Int would be vastly better, though.

Typically, 2 levels is as far as you want to go in monk unless you're hitting up the alternative class features really, really hard. Anything else is pretty much a waste of money, even if you have to sell it at half-price to get the magic items you'd get in return. See if you can get at least 2,000 gp out of it, and I guarantee we could find a better magic item for you.

Shaboom
2020-03-09, 02:12 AM
The best example of this I can think of is the way that Bloodlines progress all current class features. You have to ask your DM whether or not it gives you new class features, for example, Purity of body

Getting all the class features was the part that felt too good to be true, but if the whole thing is just something he made up then I'll follow what he gave me. Thanks for the insight, everyone!

Vaern
2020-03-09, 04:33 AM
Whether it gives 3 effective monk levels without being actual levels, or 3 actual monk levels, you might as well just sell it. Not worth it. The money you get could buy MUCH better items that would actually boost your power significantly, rather than just being "meh." The only real thing of value is the +1 to Wis, although that's only the case if your Wis score is odd, rather than even. Int would be vastly better, though.

Typically, 2 levels is as far as you want to go in monk unless you're hitting up the alternative class features really, really hard. Anything else is pretty much a waste of money, even if you have to sell it at half-price to get the magic items you'd get in return. See if you can get at least 2,000 gp out of it, and I guarantee we could find a better magic item for you.

Considering he seems to want to play a monk and already has 10 levels between monk and a monk prestige class and that the purpose of the thread was to determine how the item should work, I wouldn't regard any opinions on optimization, what to do with the item, or how he should be building a character that's already past level 10 as being relevant.

That being said, if I was to find a book that gave "3 effective monk levels" I'd probably consider the bonus to be the same as a monk's belt, but a bit less potent. And, in this case, slotless.
A +1 stat tome costs 27500. A monk's belt costs 13000, and without doing any sort of math or anything I'd probably estimate that the cost modifier for the book's reduced potency in comparison to the monk's belt would be offset by the x2 modifier for being slotless, so we'll leave the value of that effect at 13k. Despite the fact that wisdom doesn't really do anything for monks beyond their AC and stunning fist save DC, I'm sure an argument could be made for the monk bonus being a related effect for the purpose of reduced crafting cost, putting the cost at 9750. So, overall, if you did want to sell the book instead of using it I'd guesstimate its total market value at about 37250. But considering it seems your DM created this item specifically tailored to your character, I'd go ahead and use it.

Buufreak
2020-03-09, 10:32 AM
Considering he seems to want to play a monk and already has 10 levels between monk and a monk prestige class and that the purpose of the thread was to determine how the item should work, I wouldn't regard any opinions on optimization, what to do with the item, or how he should be building a character that's already past level 10 as being relevant.

Oh look, a statement of relevance. How did that get in here?

Falontani
2020-03-09, 01:05 PM
The Book would grant him improved evasion. With one more level he gets full immunity to poisons one bab, and one to all saves, and a second gets him a supernatural dimension door.
All are not bad abilities, and none of it detracts from being a monk.

Buufreak
2020-03-09, 10:52 PM
As stated, he isnt gaining saves or bab. So it would just give him the evasion.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-03-09, 11:39 PM
Considering he seems to want to play a monk and already has 10 levels between monk and a monk prestige class and that the purpose of the thread was to determine how the item should work, I wouldn't regard any opinions on optimization, what to do with the item, or how he should be building a character that's already past level 10 as being relevant.My point is that selling it would get him a LOT more bang for his gp, even with a fraction of the cost of selling the book.

Mordante
2020-03-10, 02:46 AM
My point is that selling it would get him a LOT more bang for his gp, even with a fraction of the cost of selling the book.

That is a a lot of presumption. There is no way to say what an item is worth in the world they are playing in. Maybe magic items are not for sale at all.

Also the world does not revolve around optimization not around getting as powerful as possible. If a DM give a player a specific item custom for that player selling it would not be okay.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-03-10, 02:50 AM
That is a a lot of presumption. There is no way to say what an item is worth in the world they are playing in. Maybe magic items are not for sale at all.

Also the world does not revolve around optimization not around getting as powerful as possible. If a DM give a player a specific item custom for that player selling it would not be okay.The OP (for some reason) thinks that the item is extremely powerful, but high level monk abilities suck. When you can trade three levels' worth for a few grand and come out ahead, it's pretty clear that the item really isn't worth bothering with.

Mordante
2020-03-10, 03:16 AM
The OP (for some reason) thinks that the item is extremely powerful, but high level monk abilities suck. When you can trade three levels' worth for a few grand and come out ahead, it's pretty clear that the item really isn't worth bothering with.

That is not relative to the question. As far as i can tell the OP enjoys playing a monk. Otherwise he would have multi classed some more. To be honest I think only his DM can answer the question whcih he asked.

Like a while back I got a sword that give an extra full round of attack of quick step. To me it wasn't clear what that meant. But I asked my DM. The weapon gives me an extra attack at full attack bonus. Giving me 5 attacks with my Falchion and 1 enemy doesn't get an attack of opportunity when I step out of combat.

Shaboom
2020-03-12, 01:23 AM
It's kinda funny that you're arguing so hard about the good some gold can do me when I can get gold elsewhere. This is free character advancement that's not tied to a magic item. I read the crap out of that book ASAP!

And yeah, I punch spells into people and it owns super hard. I'm loving the monk gish life. I was mostly hoping this was a documented mechanic so that I could find a way to keep using this really convenient spreadsheet but it sounds like I'll have to do some cross-referencing on my attack bonus and damage now. Oh well, worse things have happened to better people.

I really really appreciate all the insight. We're about to throw down with a black dragon and I want to be as fresh as I can.

Vaern
2020-03-12, 09:17 AM
Nope, not a documented mechanic to my knowledge. Closest you'll find to it is the monk's belt. I'm not familiar with the spreadsheet, but maybe there's some sort of reference you can adjust somewhere to advance your class features without changing your HD and BAB...